BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone's hands are different.

I would have to pin an Ed Brown, STI, or Chip McCormick grip safety because the tangs cut so high that when I ride the thumb safety my hand pulls the grip safety up.

Fucked.  The tighter I grip it, the harder the grip safety is pulled out.  Same way with an arched MSH.

A thinner thumb safety and a fuller grip tang cut like Wilson and S&A use work fine for me but I make sure it disengages with as little movement as possible.

Still thinking about pinning 'em though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I pinned the grip safety on my old S.A. Milspec until I had it fitted with an Ed Brown Memory Groove beavertail. Recently purchased an Auto Ordnance BKO and will pin that one because I'm not changing to a beavertail. It does have the Series 80 parts to keep it drop safe but I wouldn't feel any less safe if it didn't.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never had a problem with grip safeties, even GI versions. I've never felt the need to pin one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never done it.  Don’t know anyone that has done it.  Don’t see the point.  Never been an issue in shooting 1911s for forty years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
We actually have a member here that had trouble disengaging the grip safety after being shot in the hand by a bad guy.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone's hands are different.

I would have to pin an Ed Brown, STI, or Chip McCormick grip safety because the tangs cut so high that when I ride the thumb safety my hand pulls the grip safety up.

Fucked.  The tighter I grip it, the harder the grip safety is pulled out.  Same way with an arched MSH.

A thinner thumb safety and a fuller grip tang cut like Wilson and S&A use work fine for me but I make sure it disengages with as little movement as possible.

Still thinking about pinning 'em though.
View Quote
Same problem. The one I'm having pinned(I'm actually having an Infinity non- moving grip safety fit) is an STI Duty One.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never had a problem with grip safeties, even GI versions. I've never felt the need to pin one.
View Quote
Same here.

Enough meat on my hands that even with a higher hold they worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Every hand is different.

Every grip is different.

There is no absolute, no perfect answer for everyone.

Arguing that idea is simply foolish.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The grip safety is there for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The grip safety is there for a reason.
View Quote
Yep.
Drop safety....
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive never pinned one.  Never had a problem with one either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
COMP GUNS, the tab is ground off the grip safety.

carry guns tab is in place.

I've never had an issue with the GS with any type of MSH I've used (wedge flat arch) govt or commander. GI or ed brown bevertail gs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#13]
If Novak still offered The Answer, I'd get one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Infinity sells a non-pivoting, non-functional grip safety.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Infinity sells a non-pivoting, non-functional grip safety.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I absolutely do not understand why any thinking human being would even consider disabling a simple, effective safety mechanism that literally requires zero thought and training to operate.

It's as unobtrusive a safety feature as anything I can imagine.  I've never once heard of one that malfunctioned and kept the weapon from firing when it was time to fire it.

Let me guess...you don't wear your safety belt, either,  since in a tiny fraction of serious auto accidents, it would be better to be thrown clear of the vehicle than to remain trapped inside.  
View Quote
As I've aged something in my grip has changed and for some reason I no longer absolutely every time disengage the grip safeties even on some of the older guns I've been shooting for years. My solution is an old-school solution using three quarters of an inch of an inner tube to keep the grip safety down and in case there is a shooting I can remove that same rubber band.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
My Jim Hoag-built Series 70 had the grip safety pinned.  My Combat Elite that I carry now doesn't.  Haven't had an issue with my CE's grip safety, but the second I ever pull it and the safety hangs me up I'll be pinning it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#18]
None of mine are pinned. Never seen the need.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
All of mine are pinned.  I grip the gun so high I can't shoot one with an unpinned safety.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
So apparently, there are people who have an issue with it to include others who know people here.

I for one could do w/o the grip safety on the 1911 style of gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't pin my safety grip!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Thought about this thread today.
Bradford USPSA, NOV 18, 2018

Bradford USPSA NOV 18, 2018

Happened twice today
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, I do not like grip safeties, but by the same token never had a problem with them (even when deliberately limp-wristing 1911s for reliability testing).

The other day I took a female friend out to the range and she had several grip safety issues on a Dan Wesson Valor and multiple times could not fire the gun.  I even took her hair band (not very strong) thinking it would help and wrapped it to no avail.

Something in her grip must have been FORCING the grip safety up instead of down.

I am inherently not a fan of pinning it, but would much prefer removing it and fixing the grip as if it had never been there in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We actually have a member here that had trouble disengaging the grip safety after being shot in the hand by a bad guy.

Food for thought.
View Quote
I’d like to hear more about this!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been shooting 1911s for defense, practice and competition for around 25 years.

Super picky about how my guns are set up and how reliable they are proven to be.

I don't defeat the grip safeties and never have.... a properly built 1911 should work fine.

That said every production 1911 I've ever owned goes off to my Smith to be altered with the exception of my Wilson and Nighthawks.

My TRPs even go to my Smith to go over details.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's disabling a safety feature for the most remote of all scenarios.

Might as well cut your seat belts out of your car and remove the doors, too, while you're at it.  Oh, and remove the air bag, too,  because it might break your glasses and cause eye damage or blunt impact trauma causing retinal detachment or concussion.

I consider all of those scenarios to be silly and pointless.  Just because one in a hundred million events might justify it...doesn't justify it by any RATIONAL analysis.
View Quote
People shooting handguns at one another end up shot in the hands with regularity. You see it very often when using Simunitions for force on force. As another member stated, someone here was defending against a robbery and while shooting it out was hit in his hand. When he attempted to return fire yet again, he failed to engage the grip safety.

I don’t pin grip safeties but I also don’t carry 1911’s... and this situation is one of those reasons.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Never ever. Not even an inclination to do so.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Deleted.

Changed my mind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope. I don't do it.

Only time I ever had a grip safety related fail to fire was on a friend's double stack para in 40. And even then it may have been related to the plastic piece of shit mainspring housing rather than proper hand engagement.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I assume the pin gos through the frame? Why would you F up your frame like that? Just grind off the part inside that blocks the trigger. Even buy a cheap safety if you think you may want to restore it to original again.
View Quote
I guess you can pin it through the frame, but most I've read about used a pin that ran vertically sticking up from the mainspring housing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I guess you can pin it through the frame, but most I've read about used a pin that ran vertically sticking up from the mainspring housing.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume the pin gos through the frame? Why would you F up your frame like that? Just grind off the part inside that blocks the trigger. Even buy a cheap safety if you think you may want to restore it to original again.
That's how I like to do it.  The only part modified is the MSH and the pin isn't really visible after the gun is together.  Drill a hole in the top of the MSH and insert a pin long enough that the GS will keep it in place.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top