Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 9:38:41 PM EDT
I've got a Smith and Wesson 442 and shooting it w 148 grain WC it's very manageable for my wife.
Does anybody carry this load for self defense? I realize it's not the best but hitting the target is half the game.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would only do that as a last resort. They don't penetrate very well. Maybe use them for practice and hope she doesn't notice the full house loads?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would only do that as a last resort. They don't penetrate very well. Maybe use them for practice and hope she doesn't notice the full house loads?
View Quote
Well I knew a few old game wardens who in the revolver days kept a few hollow base wad cutters around for dispatching deer.   The hollow base bullet was loaded upside down so the base was now a huge hollow point.  DRT was the claim when used but that was likely head shots on a fairly immobilized car hit deer.

I have read old magazine articles on reloaded ammo set up the same for PD.  Anecdotal I know.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well I knew a few old game wardens who in the revolver days kept a few hollow base wad cutters around for dispatching deer.   The hollow base bullet was loaded upside down so the base was now a huge hollow point.  DRT was the claim when used but that was likely head shots on a fairly immobilized car hit deer.

I have read old magazine articles on reloaded ammo set up the same for PD.  Anecdotal I know.
View Quote
I have loaded some like that myself. Accuracy was marginal. I have seen 148s stopped by a 2x4. If it was the apocalypse, or if I was hunting small game, I would happily use HBWCs. The only time I would personally recommend them for self defense would be for handicapped people or if nothing else was available.

Don't confuse this post as me willing to stand in front of one or six.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A 148 gr DEWC is nothing to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A 148 gr DEWC is nothing to sneeze at.
View Quote
What DEWC stand for? I assume the WC is wad cutter
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What DEWC stand for? I assume the WC is wad cutter
View Quote
Double ended
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Buffalo Bore offers some really hot loads using them!

Check these out! Buffalo Bore 38 Special Wad cutter standard pressure, low flash!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't underestimate the sharp cutting wadcutter. They penetrate fairly straight and very deep even at a mild 800fps. Like the 6.5x55; they kill way better in real life than on paper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buffalo Bore offers some really hot loads using them!

Check these out! Buffalo Bore 38 Special Wad cutter standard pressure, low flash!
View Quote
Underwood offers a similar load. Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Double ended
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
DocGKR's defensive recommendations include 148gr .38sp wadcutters, precisely because they do penetrate pretty well, are moderate in recoil, and will tend to cut a full-diameter wound channel rather than pushing some tissue aside like most other non-expanding bullets will.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Back when revolvers ruled ( understanding this was during the infancy of good defensive hollowpoint development) pretty much a wadcutter in a snubbie was everyone’s carry combination.worked the. Will work now. Shot placement trumps all other factors.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Not only will Winchester Train and Defend both penetrate adequately AND expand, but it's possibly the lightest recoiling defensive load I've shot through my 442. It's even milder than some plinking ammo out there.

Might be worth a look if you're wanting a more modern projectile.

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-130-gr-jhp-winchester-train-defend-20-rounds#geltest
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#14]
+1+1 on underwood and buffalo bore wadcutter - google "ed harris wadcutter" - great article on WCs
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
+1+1 on underwood and buffalo bore wadcutter - google "ed harris wadcutter" - great article on WCs
View Quote
Just read it! He makes a very good case for WC. I'm sure the Underwood WC will fit his definition of the wad cutter. I have some Fiochji wad cutters, think I'll order some underwood.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not only will Winchester Train and Defend both penetrate adequately AND expand, but it's possibly the lightest recoiling defensive load I've shot through my 442. It's even milder than some plinking ammo out there.

Might be worth a look if you're wanting a more modern projectile.

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-130-gr-jhp-winchester-train-defend-20-rounds#geltest
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Federal makes a 148 gr wadcutter match load.
Target sports USA sells them

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-gold-medal-38-special-ammo-148-grain-match-wadcutter-gm38a-p-1187.aspx
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Assuming they are loaded hot enough to get good penetration I guess I would but then again a full wad cutter is about one of the hardest loads to reload with quickly especially if your using a speed-loader or on moonclips.  I don't really see the real benefit to carrying wad cutters when you can have similar or better performance with ammunition that actually has some taper to the nose making reloads easier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I wouldn't want to use them for reloads, but I think if you get a wadcutter with enough velocity, it should penetrate well.  Maybe there are some super powder puff ones out there that might not be a good choice.  But yeah, I think lucky gunner covers which ones might work well.

I wouldn't hesitate to use those wadcutters for the first 5 shots.  But that's just me.  The loads I carry are not ideal.  The most ideal loads are the Gold Dot +p's and the corbon +p's.  Both of them make me wince each shot and I always feel better off with something that won't induce a flinch.

I carry hornady's 125 grain american gunner.  They are known to penetrate well and not really expand much.  I'd rather lean towards that.  Even them are a little on the stiff side.  But manageable in my 442.  I actually have some remington Golden saber 125 +p's in my gun right now because they don't recoil much more than the Hornady's.  Way better than the other 2 I mentioned.

Either way the only way I enjoy shooting my 442 is with soft ammo.  At the range the PMC 130 FMJ's are not bad at all.  And yeah, the Train and Defend are not bad at all either.

Some day I want to try those hornady Lite loads.  You may want to try them for your wife.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hornady-critical-defense-lite-38-special-ftx-90-grain-25-rounds?a=1588975&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic+Search+Ads+-+DSA&utm_term=&pm2d=SEM-SPG-DSA-SITE&mkwid=sVMUYy4i1&pcrid=138294797190&mtype=b&devicetype=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoamzk9e32QIVG7jACh2Itw_NEAAYASAAEgL5TvD_BwE
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, I wouldn't want to use them for reloads, but I think if you get a wadcutter with enough velocity, it should penetrate well.  Maybe there are some super powder puff ones out there that might not be a good choice.  But yeah, I think lucky gunner covers which ones might work well.

I wouldn't hesitate to use those wadcutters for the first 5 shots.  But that's just me.  The loads I carry are not ideal.  The most ideal loads are the Gold Dot +p's and the corbon +p's.  Both of them make me wince each shot and I always feel better off with something that won't induce a flinch.

I carry hornady's 125 grain american gunner.  They are known to penetrate well and not really expand much.  I'd rather lean towards that.  Even them are a little on the stiff side.  But manageable in my 442.  I actually have some remington Golden saber 125 +p's in my gun right now because they don't recoil much more than the Hornady's.  Way better than the other 2 I mentioned.

Either way the only way I enjoy shooting my 442 is with soft ammo.  At the range the PMC 130 FMJ's are not bad at all.  And yeah, the Train and Defend are not bad at all either.

Some day I want to try those hornady Lite loads.  You may want to try them for your wife.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hornady-critical-defense-lite-38-special-ftx-90-grain-25-rounds?a=1588975&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic+Search+Ads+-+DSA&utm_term=&pm2d=SEM-SPG-DSA-SITE&mkwid=sVMUYy4i1&pcrid=138294797190&mtype=b&devicetype=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoamzk9e32QIVG7jACh2Itw_NEAAYASAAEgL5TvD_BwE
View Quote
Thanks! Great info in this thread. If I were to carry WCs my extra ammo would be something that I could reload with in a hurry
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Get some hard cast wadcutters and bump up the speed just a touch and it will make holes that will take 2 corks to slow down the bleeding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I carried a 38 with 148 wadcutters for years. As far as self defense, probably the best choice for inflicting pain. The chances of over penetration like hitting an innocent behind the perp is minimal. If she shoots well with the wadcutters buy or if set up for, cast some hollow based and load them backwards. A trick often used by 1940-50's police limited by dept policy to 38 Special revolvers. If you're a handloader you'll likely have to exceed published data that is listed maximum for shot to shot accuracy. I used a published load recommended for 158gr lead. I'm guessing so verify with published data for safety reasons 3.5grs of Bullseye. I used 2.8 BE for target shooting.

If the Mrs is recoil sensitive, consider jacketed 110gr hollow points. The 110's were favored by some detectives carrying snubbys for their milder recoil and minimal chance of over penetration.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get some hard cast wadcutters and bump up the speed just a touch and it will make holes that will take 2 corks to slow down the bleeding.
View Quote
Gotta disagree, use pure lead. You will more than likely lead the bore but have a bigger wound channel. Hard cast best for target shooting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#24]
If you guys are pushing up the velocity, aren't you defeating the purpose? Also, if you do this, use DEWCs. Pushing HBWCs too hard might blow the skirts off.

I love wadcutters. I shoot thousands a year. But, if dedicated defense ammo is an option, that'd be my choice.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have loaded some like that myself. Accuracy was marginal. I have seen 148s stopped by a 2x4. If it was the apocalypse, or if I was hunting small game, I would happily use HBWCs. The only time I would personally recommend them for self defense would be for handicapped people or if nothing else was available.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha me either!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
If your wife can handle the gun and accurately shoot it with the 148gr wadcutters, then so be it. Im sure there are some better ammo choices out there but for a lightweight 5 shot revolver, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If your wife can handle the gun and accurately shoot it with the 148gr wadcutters, then so be it. Im sure there are some better ammo choices out there but for a lightweight 5 shot revolver, I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote
True dat!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I second this. If she can hit with it and feels comfortable she will actually carry and shoot the gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#29]
get her some new HST
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
That's interesting.

I am curious though, what advantage flush seated +P has over regular +P, much less 148 WC. I would be interested in hearing a report on recoil comparison.

At $1.00 a pop you should give us a detailed report.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They don't penetrate very well.
View Quote
Utter nonsense

To the OP, based on my own real world experience I'll take a 148gr full wadcutter in the 700-800fps range over ANY modern expanding 'wonder bullet'. I'm specifically speaking out of shorter barrels and especially lightweights.

Light recoil leads to fast follow-ups and they will out penetrate HP's, yet cause far more permanent damage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't underestimate the sharp cutting wadcutter. They penetrate fairly straight and very deep even at a mild 800fps. Like the 6.5x55; they kill way better in real life than on paper.
View Quote
Exactly what I came to post.

Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I've enjoyed the contributions to this post. Shot some Fiocchi 148 grain today again, almost no recoil. Only advertised at 730 FPS so I ordered some Underwood 150 grain WC. That ought to be the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's interesting.

I am curious though, what advantage flush seated +P has over regular +P, much less 148 WC. I would be interested in hearing a report on recoil comparison.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's interesting.

Federal HST Micro 130gr 38 Special +P Ballistic Gel Test (HD)
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for that! Interesting load.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's interesting.
It isn't a typical +P.   Other +P loads are loaded hotter with more powder or a heavier bullet.   This is higher pressure by seating a 130 gr bullet deeper, removing the wasted space.   They are pretty mild in recoil and very consistent.

It is what I currently use in my Ruger LCR.

Please don't judge me.   I have a lot more ammo than that.   That is just a little bit I keep on hand at one of my places.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:51:06 AM EDT
[#38]
If one does have issues with recoil, one extremely low recoil load is the Federal 125 Nyclad load.

IF there is a round to fire indoors, in a revolver, for self defense, without a suppressor/ear protection, this is it. And, while I can handle recoil, this round makes me ask "why".

Just understand, it is discontinued and almost impossible to get.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please don't judge me.   I have a lot more ammo than that.   That is just a little bit I keep on hand at one of my places.
View Quote
You have to start somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You have to start somewhere.
View Quote
Yep.   A bit at a time, here and there.

Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I also have a collapsed shelf or two.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#42]
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=555

This is what I carry in my 642. Double Tap's 148 solid WC, hits 740fps out of a snub barrel.  They're hard cast, MUCH harder than your typical pure lead WC so they don't deform. They are 100 fps faster than your typical light target WC but still recoil less than +p 125-130 grain loads. Testing on a road killed deer showed they would completely shoot through a deer skull as well as shoot through a shoulder and out the other side leaving a nice full caliber hole.

I find them sufficient.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm jelly.  My .38 stash is getting low..... And the budget is squeeky tight.  I got some 9mm for Christmas because I anticipated switching to a new G43.  However, I'm not sure I'm going to actually do that.....  I just can't bring myself to do it.  In my mind and in theory I want to.  But everything else in my being says to just keep carrying the 442 and that it's "good enough" for most scenarios.

I don't know.  I'm probably dumb.  But it's always there at my 1 oclock if I have pants on.  I'm not sure I want to do that with the G43.  I would probably switch to 4 oclock and I don't like it as much.

Anyways....  need to sell some stuff to buy more .38.  My Mom has this huge stash of 158 grain LRN that was my Step Dad's that I can use in a pinch though.  For practice.  It's super old and stinky though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hard cast best for target shooting.
View Quote
Hard cast and low pressure loads (like target loads) are a bad combination.

The pressure is not high enough to obturate the hard lead and seal the bore very well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The pressure is not high enough to obturate the hard lead and seal the bore very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard cast best for target shooting.

Too late, been doing it for years and Dad was shooting them for years before that.
It works.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#46]
My Underwood 150 grain wad cutters  came in, tried them out and they're what I'm going to carry.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#47]
A hard cast full wadcutter with no skirt at regular velocity is load not to be trifled with.  It will penetrate and cause a wound cavity.  I just read about a police officer who had a wad cutter from practice in his gun, he shot a perp and the perp dropped like a sack of lead with one shot.  If I could not get jacketed hollow points for my 638, I would load any wheel weight cast bullet flat end first.  Loading skirted wadcutter backwards will not work.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/11/ed-harris-revisiting-the-full-charge-wadcutter/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top