Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2024 10:34:32 AM EDT
Call it what you will, but I need some way to justify buying a 4" 10mm.  I'll feel better about the decision if I know the gun is filling some kind of role or purpose, I just don't know what that would be.  I'm thinking bedside table gun would probably be the best fit.  I'm not sure how comfortable carrying the gun with a red dot would be (and of course I have to also get a red dot for it too).

What is everyone using their 10mm guns for?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
10mm, I want one but I need a purpose for it. <--- Your purpose is highlighted in red.

I bought a 10MM for the same reason, I wanted one. I've carried it when hunting in areas that bear are known inhabit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10mm, I want one but I need a purpose for it. <--- Your purpose is highlighted in red.
View Quote

I understand.  I just feel better if I can justify some other way.  I have buyers guilt when I make somewhat big purchases just because I want it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Because you’re going hiking in Glacier, MT this summer and bear spray just pisses them off.

Also, M&P >G20
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I don’t understand buying something you are not going to carry. Don’t tell me it’s too big because I’ve carried a 1006 and a 629 4” IWB.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Guns are inexpensive.

Your TIME spent actually DOING SOMETHING with them is fantastically more expensive.

If you like to collect guns, get a 10mm if you want a 10mm.

FMJ in any major caliber (including 9mm) will shoot all the way through a bear. Expanding bullets in any major caliber all penetrate to the same depth - which isn’t deep enough to shoot THROUGH a bear.

If you think you will actually have to shoot a bear in self defense, and you believe one millimeter makes some sort of difference, then you absolutely should lug a 10mm, and as much ammunition as you can porter, with your on your outdoors adventures.

Go on and believe the claims of “Bone-Smashing POWER,” and “Extreme Energy” if you want to. But remember, it’s just a pistol shooting non-expanding bullets. It’s not a .375 Weatherby shooting bonded, expanding bullets.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, I live in state where bears are extremely scarce.  I don't think I've actually ever even seen one in my state before.

And for carry, I'm not opposed to that but I'm wondering what a good method would be for a 4" gun with a red dot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My 4 inch is not a reliable gun.   It only will somewhat reliably feed weak 180 grain loads.   Anything hot or heavier will get several FTF per magazine.   I have several 10mm's.   The only polymer 10mm is the Glock 20.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have gone down this road. I have discovered that commercially available 10mm is not up to par with the cartridges potential. To get full-powered 10mm ammo is more expensive. To get full potential 10mm power less expensive is to reload, startup is costly.....and time consuming. I decided that a .44 mag would be a more practical way to get the power I want from a handgun. So I bought a .44 magnum handgun, then I concluded that for the same power or more I'd just as soon have a carbine, more accurate, more power and I left the high power handgun market altogether.
I'd just as soon tote my AK-47 around, more power, more ammo, more accurate and as reliable, just.........bigger.
For more practical hunting purposes though, in it's power level I'd look hard at a carbine length lever action in .44mag.
For more power from a handgun for defensive purposes I've decided .45 acp is the way to go for me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]
you don't need one. I want one. I'm in the same boat. I could talk about bears and hiking and shit all day but it's literally not going to come up in my life. That ~$500 plus $50/box for ammo that pokes holes in paper and hurts my hand a little would be better served in a 529 account for my kids or a Roth for my retirement.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My 4 inch is not a reliable gun.   It only will somewhat reliably feed weak 180 grain loads.   Anything hot or heavier will get several FTF per magazine.   I have several 10mm's.   The only polymer 10mm is the Glock 20.
View Quote

Well that's unfortunate.  I was not aware of that.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have gone down this road. I have discovered that commercially available 10mm is not up to par with the cartridges potential. To get full-powered 10mm ammo is more expensive. To get full potential 10mm power less expensive is to reload, startup is costly.....and time consuming. I decided that a .44 mag would be a more practical way to get the power I want from a handgun. So I bought a .44 magnum handgun, then I concluded that for the same power or more I'd just as soon have a carbine, more accurate, more power and I left the high power handgun market altogether.
I'd just as soon tote my AK-47 around, more power, more ammo, more accurate and as reliable, just.........bigger.
For more practical hunting purposes though, in it's power level I'd look hard at a carbine length lever action in .44mag.
For more power from a handgun for defensive purposes I've decided .45 acp is the way to go for me.
View Quote

I already have a Dillon reloading setup.  I'd just need dies and bullets.  I probably have a powder that would work.  I could produce my own full-power loads for considerably cheaper than buying commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you don't need one. I want one. I'm in the same boat. I could talk about bears and hiking and shit all day but it's literally not going to come up in my life. That ~$500 plus $50/box for ammo that pokes holes in paper and hurts my hand a little would be better served in a 529 account for my kids or a Roth for my retirement.
View Quote

Man, we must both be on the same wavelength today.  That's pretty much exactly what's been going through my mind on this whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I think 10mm is an amazing round.  But from what I read, you really need to be out to 5", before the potential over just warm .40 SW starts to show up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 10mm but really only because I like it and can no real practical reason factory ammo is mostly shit so plan on reloading or buying from companies like Underwood to get full potential,I am going to pickup the new Stribog 10mm for coolness and because I always wanted a 10mm pcc
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]
If you only buy firearms that you "need" you are missing out on all sorts of fun and enjoyment .

"Wanting" any gun in itself , no matter how far from "need" some particular firearm is ,is good enough in my book.

Do I "need" five different types of 10/22 ? Do I need lever guns in 7 or 8 different calibers? S&W revolvers in 5 or 6 calibers (and multiple barrel lengths)?

The answer is not at all but I enjoy them!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your 4" what?  Not a clear answer here.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a 10mm because aliens in Miami bro!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't be buying a 4". 5" minimum.

4" gives up a lot of velocity vs 40S&W.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well that's unfortunate.  I was not aware of that.  Thanks for the heads up.
View Quote

There's several threads in the handgun sub forum

Short answer, my 4.6 M&P is reliable enough (at this point) that I've put it on "bump in the night" duty.  200gr at 1200fps...  and it went with me to AK this past summer, along with my kids and wife.

Yes, I've chrono'd it.  Yes, I've shot several hundred rounds through it.  And yes, most on the shelf ammo is glorified .40.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think 10mm is an amazing round.  But from what I read, you really need to be out to 5", before the potential over just warm .40 SW starts to show up.
View Quote

100%.

In fact barrels about 2.5" and shorter, 40S&W actually comes more powerful than 10mm.

10mm needs barrel length. Until you get to 5", the juice isn't worth the squeeze. And the longer the barrel, the bigger the gap in performance between 10mm and 40S&W.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Lengthening the barrel from 4” to 6” picks up about 100 fps in BOTH calibers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Man, we must both be on the same wavelength today.  That's pretty much exactly what's been going through my mind on this whole thing.
View Quote

@TheShootingAnvil

yup, see my thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Fun-and-useful-10mm-40-/4-211259/

same reason I shop for caiman boots and look at Rolexes. I think they are cool. I imagine uses for them. I can afford them. But I realize that i won't get the enjoyment value out of it for the cost, so I don't do it. I'm not saying cut ALL frivolous spending (I'm wearing a Tudor and have ivory grips on my Baer) but it's not fun anymore to have stuff just to have it.

check out boutique loadings of calibers you already own. Buffalo Bore and Underwood make stuff that puts standard 10mm stuff to shame if you feel like you need it.

here's 10mm HST, a good round in pistol calibers, putting out a little over 550 ft pounds of energy. Not too shabby. Buffalo Bore 45acp +P will work in a gun I already own, and putting out 800+ ftlbs.

hell their 9mm outdoorsman stuff is putting out 700!?!?!

if you want a 10, buy it. You don't need it. You don't fly fish in alaska. You're not going to. Stop worrying about bears and go outside
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@TheShootingAnvil

yup, see my thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Fun-and-useful-10mm-40-/4-211259/

same reason I shop for caiman boots and look at Rolexes. I think they are cool. I imagine uses for them. I can afford them. But I realize that i won't get the enjoyment value out of it for the cost, so I don't do it. I'm not saying cut ALL frivolous spending (I'm wearing a Tudor and have ivory grips on my Baer) but it's not fun anymore to have stuff just to have it.

check out boutique loadings of calibers you already own. Buffalo Bore and Underwood make stuff that puts standard 10mm stuff to shame if you feel like you need it.

here's 10mm HST, a good round in pistol calibers, putting out a little over 550 ft pounds of energy. Not too shabby. Buffalo Bore 45acp +P will work in a gun I already own, and putting out 800+ ftlbs.

hell their 9mm outdoorsman stuff is putting out 700!?!?!

if you want a 10, buy it. You don't need it. You don't fly fish in alaska. You're not going to. Stop worrying about bears and go outside
View Quote

It's getting even scarier!  You posted that thread October 26 of last year and said you'd be turning 40 that year.  I turned 40 a few days before you posted that thread!

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

M&P I'd guess.

How many 10mm's does S&W make these days? (besides the 610)
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be buying a 4". 5" minimum.

4" gives up a lot of velocity vs 40S&W.
View Quote

Doesn't really look that way from the charts that were posted.  Looks like when using heavy for caliber bullets like the 180gr, the 10mm loaded to full power is 1338fps from a 4" barrel.  That's pretty damn impressive to me and certainly not giving up any velocity to the 40 with the same load.  The 40SW with 180gr Buffalo Bore ammo from a 4" barrel is only 1110fps.  That's 228fps less than the 10mm with the same bullet.  That's a MASSIVE difference in a handgun caliber.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I have more 9mm pistols than I can keep track of.

I have a single 10mm.
I wear it on my chest when hiking in grizzly country.
This is the only reason I own it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is some truth to this, but it’s not just about velocity, it’s about action function too. My Glock could not handle full-power grizzly defense loads (Underwood/BuffaloBore) until I added a comp to reduce slide velocity. It would lock open every other shot just from the inertia of the slide hitting the stop so hard. Runs great with a comp, but it’s basically a 5.5” pistol now (footprint, not velocity)
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry a g20 every day
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I understand.  I just feel better if I can justify some other way.  I have buyers guilt when I make somewhat big purchases just because I want it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAME BOAT I HAVE WANTED ON SINCE SEEING THE BREN TEN ON MIAMI VICE I COULD NOT PASS UP A DEAL onA performance centers&w m&p monday1
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#33]
You need one because it is an investment.

I have two so far. G20 and EAA Witness in 10mm.

You can also use the dies for .40S&W if you want to reload that as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smith
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Woods gun in a chest holster. I spend a lot of time walking in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Would it help matters if I could get a brand new 4" for $500 out the door?  That's what really got me thinking hard about buying.  I don't think I've ever seen one that cheap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I have 9 and 45 and 44mag. Striker fired, 1911, cz75, soon to be 2011, and a super redhawk. Most 10mm factory loads are neutered. If you reload, sure get you one. If I get another pistol it'll be a newer 6" colt python in .357 mag. Something about the cowboy loads and the difference in the thud they make on steel vs modern rounds. I don't ever go into bear country and the time I did I was happy with 17 124g GDHP +Ps. If i'm ever around hogs i've got a 12.5 5.56 with 62g TSX. Idk I wanted a 10mm too but I can't justify it, and the cost of ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Duck hunting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's getting even scarier!  You posted that thread October 26 of last year and said you'd be turning 40 that year.  I turned 40 a few days before you posted that thread!

View Quote

if you're also a chubby, ugly bastard then we can be friends

Quoted:
Would it help matters if I could get a brand new 4" for $500 out the door?  That's what really got me thinking hard about buying.  I don't think I've ever seen one that cheap.
View Quote

no. they were on sale for $4xx last year. If you don't NEED one it will still be a waste of money to you, no matter what it costs.

my buddy was going to trade me his 4" 10mm M&P for a gun I had and didn't like. I shot it. Fat, heavy, and I don't need it, no matter how I try and justify it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Smith
View Quote

Brilliant
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Call it what you will, but I need some way to justify buying a 4" 10mm.  I'll feel better about the decision if I know the gun is filling some kind of role or purpose, I just don't know what that would be.  I'm thinking bedside table gun would probably be the best fit.  I'm not sure how comfortable carrying the gun with a red dot would be (and of course I have to also get a red dot for it too).
What is everyone using their 10mm guns for?
View Quote

Targets, EDC, bears, deer, hogs, mountain lions, dangerous dudes, and whatever else might need proper shootin’ at the moment.

That’s the 10mm’s biggest virtue: versatility!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#43]
After years of wanting a 10mm I finally got a G40 MOS. I mainly wanted it for hunting. Since getting the G40, I've killed a few deer and hogs with it using some pretty stout 180gr JHP handloads. It kills pretty dam good.

I liked the cartridge so much I got a 1911 pistol in 10mm. Shoots nicely.

I will go pick up a G20 MOS in the am making it my third 10mm pistol.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After years of wanting a 10mm I finally got a G40 MOS. I mainly wanted it for hunting. Since getting the G40, I've killed a few deer and hogs with it using some pretty stout 180gr JHP handloads. It kills pretty dam good.

I liked the cartridge so much I got a 1911 pistol in 10mm. Shoots nicely.

I will go pick up a G20 MOS in the am making it my third 10mm pistol.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/923/RFegBA.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/924/MWlYUZ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/922/87JlMt.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/922/ENEdnJ.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I was successfully talked off the ledge. Still a cool gun, just probably not something I’d really actually use.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I have 6 10mm's and of course reloading is a must. Main reason is my 629 doesn't take 30 round mags.

Plus the 200 grain Gold Dot's eat right through auto glass and bodies. Don't forget body armor.

Why did the FBI switched from the 10mm? So the girlie men could handle the pistols.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Well I couldn't help myself... bought another 10mm, this time a Gen 5 G20 MOS.

Have a DPP arriving today, that and a TLR-VIR II that I have will make for a nice all-around pistol, including shooting with NV.

I noticed the Gen 5 feels slightly smaller than the Gen 3... not much, but noticeable. I really like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top