User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ruger will win.

It's the chevy 350 of the handgun world. Nothing fancy or anything to brag about but it always gets the job done...

+1
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this why my buddy told me that when he was coming home from Iraq that some units were getting reissued the M14? That is 1 designated marksman per unit.  The 5.56 just doesn't have the reach of the 7.62. The 9mm was chosen for capacity more than anything. I don't think you could find a soldier today who would chose a 15 round 9mm over a 12-13 round .45. I think they would even rather have a 7 round .45 over the 9.

Your buddy heard or saw regarding some other unit?  How precious.

Yes, a lot of M14s are in use - most even have fancy new stocks - but tgat fact alone says nothing about what is ideal, just what was readily available.

It was the fact that they wanted a .308 in the fight and yes the M14 was there. It wasn't a comment on the platform but the cartridge. And what's with the precious comment? You light in the loafers?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this why my buddy told me that when he was coming home from Iraq that some units were getting reissued the M14? That is 1 designated marksman per unit.  The 5.56 just doesn't have the reach of the 7.62. The 9mm was chosen for capacity more than anything. I don't think you could find a soldier today who would chose a 15 round 9mm over a 12-13 round .45. I think they would even rather have a 7 round .45 over the 9.

Yes, a lot of M14s are in use - most even have fancy new stocks - but tgat fact alone says nothing about what is ideal, just what was readily available.

It was the fact that they wanted a .308 in the fight and yes the M14 was there. It wasn't a comment on the platform but the cartridge. And what's with the precious comment? You light in the loafers?

Yeah, that must be it, I'm a flamer

I, and many others, come here for info from people who have info to offer.  What a friend saw in some other unit is hardly worthwhile first hand info.  Many of us have spent a good deal of time over there personally, and even fired those M14s.

I apologize if I come off as abrasive, I sometimes forget what board I am on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that must be it, I'm a flamer

I, and many others, come here for info from people who have info to offer.  What a friend saw in some other unit is hardly worthwhile first hand info.  Many of us have spent a good deal of time over there personally, and even fired those M14s.

I apologize if I come off as abrasive, I sometimes forget what board I am on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Would the XD .45 be considered?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If we really had brains we would probably go the 357SIG route and manufacture a bullet like the russian round for the 5.45 with an air pocket in the tip for standard use (like a sleeper hollowpoint)

and that way if enemies were to start wearing armor, we could just switch to pointed copper solids.  

As far as standard ball I do think .45 is the way to go.  

My vote is RUGER P97.  It's a quality product and made here.  screw HK and all these other foreign companies (all their handguns are more expensive anyway.)   If the 97 needs anything (a rail- night sites.. I'm sure Ruger can make the changes.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My guess is HK
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If we really had brains we would probably go the 357SIG route and manufacture a bullet like the russian round for the 5.45 with an air pocket in the tip for standard use (like a sleeper hollowpoint)

and that way if enemies were to start wearing armor, we could just switch to pointed copper solids.  

As far as standard ball I do think .45 is the way to go.  

My vote is RUGER P97.  It's a quality product and made here.  screw HK and all these other foreign companies (all their handguns are more expensive anyway.)   If the 97 needs anything (a rail- night sites.. I'm sure Ruger can make the changes.  

If it's ruger, they'll hi-cap the 345.  Although we all know its placement that counts, there's no doub tmilitary wants a hi cap or at least mid cap for general issue.

I wouldn't mind a ruger for the US, if just to have a US gun,  as kokalis said in an 80's areticle when teh 22/45 came out 'Although me and bill disagree on second amendmant tactics, I consider him a friend, and he consistently stays ahead of hte curve and produces quality affordable firearms."  I kinda agree.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1.  HK
2.  HK
3.  HK

Read the quals its a gimme contract.  HK tactical or Expert.

You forgot one....

4. HK

I am thinking a HK will be the best
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Desert Eagle
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I think a Ruger also. I had a P94 that I only sold to hook up a good friend in need of a good pistol again that was just a serious tough workhorse of a pistol and reliable as hell. The military could go with anyone of their models and not to be bad off. The 9mm/45 argument can and will go on forever, but I don't think the military needs to go back to a caliber they changed from a while ago with less capacity and accuracy for some of our soldiers, when they should just get rid of the stupid outdated treaty and ideals that keep us from using better defensive/offensive 9mm ammo like EFMJ or HydraShok's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with both arguments in the 9mm v. .45 disagreements. There is a case for both more stopping power but there is also one that can be said for more rounds and shot placement as it would be for a wartime environment and not a gun range. Statistics show that people tend to be very inaccurate in wartime situations (and rightly so with battle stress and when their lives are on the line.) To get back on topic though I would say HK personally even if I don't agree with all their civilian marketing policies. The bottom line is they make some of the best small arms weapon systems and is the reason why they can and do get away with their stances.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top