Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you already have a .40 cal sig, I'd go with the 9mm Glock.  I'm not going to mention that other thing you have - it doesn't belong on the same page as the other two.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking to get my first Glock, and I am not sure which caliber I want.

I already have Sigs in .40 S&W, but I also have a MAC-11 in 9mm, so I have both calibers on hand.

I am more concerned about ergonomics and accuracy rather than the "stopping power argument"  that could go on forever

I'll answer your actual question. If you're talking ergonimics, there's no difference. They are basically the same frame. Accuracy, 9mm. Not to say that the .40 isn't accurate (I shoot only .40), but for follow-up shots, the 9mm has less recoil. Thus at the same firing speed, you'll be more accurate with a 9mm.

Tada. Answer given!

(That and if you want those uber-cool 33 round mags...they only come in 9mm )
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
9mm,
9x19,
9mm Luger,
9mm Parabellum,
Itty bitty 9 milly,
Nine is fine,
Just make mine a nine. . . . . . . . . . please.  (YMMV however)

You forgot 9mm NATO.

Damn!  

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Got my G23 about six months ago. I had the same question running through my head the whole time as well. I must agree with everyone else on the board. Shoot one in 9mm and then shoot one in .40. To me .40SW had a good balance, .40 cal power and 13 rounds (15 in the G22). Now I know that any bullet put in the right place is deadly, but am I the only one that thinks 9mm feels a little to "light"?

Go .40
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
9mm
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Questions and Comments:

9mm Pros:  Cheaper
       Lighter
       Slightly higher capacity (vs. 40)
       Less recoil

40 Pros:       Larger diameter = more tissue damage = a hit to a vital or blood vessel that could be a miss or a nick with a slightly smaller caliber
       Not as much kick as some might suggest (JMO), though more than a 9mm.  

While many will tell you that you should get a military caliber, I say so what, unless you are attempting to smuggle your weapon into a foreign combat zone.  You are not going to get re-supplied by the military in SHTF any more than you are getting re-supplied by some LEO agency (40).  Then they will tell you that ammo is cheaper so you can stock up for SHTF.  Ok, do you plan on using 9mm ball? 115gr to 124gr at that?  If I am relying on ball I will take 45acp not 9mm or 40 thank you!

I am SLOWLY starting to appreciate the 9 for what it is (mostly a training round for myself) but I am still part of the “big bullets make bigger holes” camp.  It should be noted that the most reliable fight stopping loads for the 9 are the 147gr loads.  What does that tell me?  9mm is the LOWEST end of the spectrum.  Mass (ie bullet weight) is more important in handgun calibers that velocity. This is still somewhat true with rifle rounds though to a lesser extent.  I have witnessed 5.56 fail to penetrate or literally “bounce off” of auto bodies that I am sure a 7.62 would have penetrated.  Light bullets at high velocities have a tendency to yaw or ricochet pretty easily.  9mm is not much for windshield penetration either (147gr being the exception).  Remember that the wounding mechanisms of handgun rounds are not the same as rifle rounds.

With all of that said, the 9mm will do you fine if loaded with the proper defensive loads and you are able to obtain solid hits.

? – I have heard about the 9mm after market barrels for the 22, 23 ect. but who makes them?  Glockmeister list the 19 and the 23 as being incompatible for a barrel swap for example.  

Contractor
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
? – I have heard about the 9mm after market barrels for the 22, 23 ect. but who makes them?  Glockmeister list the 19 and the 23 as being incompatible for a barrel swap for example.

If you plan on shooting 9mm from a G22 or G23 you need a conversion barrel. The outside diameter of a factory 9mm barrel is smaller then that of the 40 thus being incompatible to a degree.

My G32C w/9mm converstion and G23 barrels, both from Lone Wolf. 3 calibers = 1 Glock

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had to go Glock (and I have returned in a very limited fashion to the dark side ) I would stay with one of the 9mm models.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top