Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, there is, it's a 5" "N" frame in .44-40 . I have an orginal M-28 and the action is slick as glass, but my other 28 is now a .44 special and IJ'll take that one with me when I die. yes, I friend turned it into a .44. smith barrle(1950, i think) and bored out the cylinder to .44. it's very accurate.  In a Ransom rest at 50 yards it shot a 1 1/2" group. I'm happy
  Pat
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Heres my very worn mdl 28...one of my best shooting guns. Marked BPD, was a police gun.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
kinda forgot about this thread.  anyway, i ended up shooting it a little a few weeks ago.  it shoots a little to the left, though i'll admit it might be me.  don't have nearly as much experience with a revolver as i do with semi autos.  

when i have more time i'm going to take it back out and see if its me or if the sights need adjusting.  the buba'd trigger job was not the best, but it wasn't bad.  might try to track down a factory hammer, but its not that big of a deal right now.  still looking for a holster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at one of these the other day for 450 at a gunshow. It made me nervous that it had an aftermarket trigger in it with a set screw protruding out the rear. I'm also not a revolver buff, so I wasn't sure what acceptable wear looks like on the (star?) notch things on the cylinder. Metal finish was 95 percent.

I got a Norinco 1911 instead. But when I am ready for my first revolver, it will be a model 28. It's a sweet looking piece.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was looking at one of these the other day for 450 at a gunshow. It made me nervous that it had an aftermarket trigger in it with a set screw protruding out the rear.
Probably a factory trigger modified with a trigger stop.
I'm also not a revolver buff, so I wasn't sure what acceptable wear looks like on the (star?) notch things on the cylinder. Metal finish was 95 percent.
There is usually a drag line around the locking notches on a cylinder. Wear there is acceptable.

I got a Norinco 1911 instead. But when I am ready for my first revolver, it will be a model 28. It's a sweet looking piece.

I'd suggest you read up quite a bit on the S&Ws before getting one. Or have someone who knows them go with you to find a good one.
I grew up on revolvers and 1911s. I have plenty of other semiautos (Glocks, Berettas, Colts, Rugers, SigSauer, etc) but a good S&W in my hands is very comfortable simply because I shoot so well with them.
The shooting world has changed in the last 45 years i.e. cops going to semiautos instead of the revolver.
But owning and shooting a revolver will "reinvigorate" shooting interest for many people.
Get one when you can.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
My first duty weapon, in 1981, was a Model 28. It was wearing my ass out and I went to a Model 66.

I wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The 28 is a accurate pistol! A little heavy but it helps absorb recoil.Ilove my 28 !Was built in 66.Built with old school S&W ideas. The 28 is cheap compared to its brothers  the 27 and 29.Built on the same frame  just not as shiney.If you come across a 28 buy it prices are going up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad bought this one new, handed down to me. Still have the original receipt where he bought it , along with the factory grips.

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
These are great guns, nothing made today can approach the quality of the older ones, at least not for $500. I found a no dash model 28 2 years ago at my local store when I was in picking up a Glock 36 for my wife's Christmas present. I ended up buying it for $595. It was made in late 1957 or the beginning of 1958, and it is in about 98% condition. It quickly became my favorite gun. It is a good rule never to pass on any pre 1970's N frame if you come across one for a reasonable price, they are going up a lot in value.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... now if i could just find a decent leather holster.  

Check out Lobo, good leather at reasonable prices. He's also on the S-W Forum. Maybe a classic Threepersons would suit you.

Oh, and you did good on your HP. They used to be cheap(er), guns, but people have been finding out what nice shooters they are, so prices have been going up. That, and they aren't making any more.

My one and only:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/2hawk/28-23.jpg

Your going to like the way your gun shoots, I am sure. Mines like a laser

That is one good looking 28!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These are great guns, nothing made today can approach the quality of the older ones, at least not for $500. I found a no dash model 28 2 years ago at my local store when I was in picking up a Glock 36 for my wife's Christmas present. I ended up buying it for $595. It was made in late 1957 or the beginning of 1958, and it is in about 98% condition. It quickly became my favorite gun. It is a good rule never to pass on any pre 1970's N frame if you come across one for a reasonable price, they are going up a lot in value.

If it is a 28-2 then it is not a 'no dash'. If it was such it would be simply '28' or Mod 28.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The people over on the Smith & wesson forum (not arfcom) have forgotten more about S&Ws than most of us will ever know.  Post the SN here or over there and someone can tell you when it was made.  Does it have 5 screws in the side panel?  Sounds as if it may be a pre 28.
Nice gun.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I found a model 28 locally for $500.... it is 4" and has the smaller wood grips. Overall it's kind of rough with some rust on the frame. The shop won't budge.

Should I get it? Is there a cloth that will wipe the rust off (I keep thinking a silicone cloth will, but never used one).

I was planning on getting it after work but seems to be priced high for the condition.

The shop also has a flat latch pre-36, snubbie, they'd give me both for $850 OTD.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there pitting to go along with the rust? If so, then $500 is a bit much. If it's simply surface rust, then it may be a good buy. They aren't cheap anymore, but you won't wear one out in your lifetime.

I got mine for $375 back in February, but it's been refinished in matte blue, due to what looks like some surface rust/ damage in its past. A small amount of freckling on the left side, but the stampings on the sideplate are very thin. Either someone was overly aggressive with the sandblaster, or there was more than a fair amount of rust on the gun at one time. Since I'm never concerned with having a NIB gun(since they don't stay that way in my possession for long), the new finish is of no concern. Whoever did the finish also gave it one helluva' slick action job, though, and that makes my HP an outstanding blaster.

If you really want a model 28, then I'd get one soon, as they seem to be the "Flavor of the Month" among collectors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there pitting to go along with the rust? If so, then $500 is a bit much. If it's simply surface rust, then it may be a good buy. They aren't cheap anymore, but you won't wear one out in your lifetime.

I got mine for $375 back in February, but it's been refinished in matte blue, due to what looks like some surface rust/ damage in its past. A small amount of freckling on the left side, but the stampings on the sideplate are very thin. Either someone was overly aggressive with the sandblaster, or there was more than a fair amount of rust on the gun at one time. Since I'm never concerned with having a NIB gun(since they don't stay that way in my possession for long), the new finish is of no concern. Whoever did the finish also gave it one helluva' slick action job, though, and that makes my HP an outstanding blaster.

If you really want a model 28, then I'd get one soon, as they seem to be the "Flavor of the Month" among collectors.

I went ahead and got it @ his price.

It's an S prefix, no dash 28.

Supposedly the gun was 99% one owner gun that the original owner's son inherited recently. The son left it in his garage for a few weeks and it developed a light coat of rust over the entire surface and left a little pitting. The shop detailed it. I'd rate it at 94% now.

I'm not too worried about it as it's going to be a shooter and it feels so nice in the hand, it has the smoothest DA trigger I've ever had, and SA is crisp, it's really something.

Will be adding pics once I get my camera back.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I went ahead and got it @ his price.

It's an S prefix, no dash 28.

Supposedly the gun was 99% one owner gun that the original owner's son inherited recently. The son left it in his garage for a few weeks and it developed a light coat of rust over the entire surface and left a little pitting. The shop detailed it. I'd rate it at 94% now.

I'm not too worried about it as it's going to be a shooter and it feels so nice in the hand, it has the smoothest DA trigger I've ever had, and SA is crisp, it's really something.

Will be adding pics once I get my camera back.

You never pay too much, but sometimes you buy too soon.

The 28's were working mans guns that were as likely as not going to wind up in a policeman's holster. There is a school of thought that says the techs at S&W made it a point of pride to put their best work into them.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]
My old beater 28-2 is an S-prefix, too, and they seem to command a premium nowadays, so you did good. Shoot the hell out of it, and it'll only beg for more....

Congrats on your new revolver, dude...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My old beater 28-2 is an S-prefix, too, and they seem to command a premium nowadays, so you did good. Shoot the hell out of it, and it'll only beg for more....

Congrats on your new revolver, dude...

Thanks! It is easily the most handsome gun I own now, even in it's condition.

In the spirit of this thread I took a couple of cell phone pics.

Here's the other gun, a pre-36 flat latch from around late '56.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally got a chance to shoot the 28-0.

After shooting the pre-36, WWB .38 SPL (800 ft./sec) , the 28 felt like shooting .22 LR...

The 28 shot beautifully, already zero'd and getting 3" 6-round groups at 25 yards. I'm happy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#21]
The rust speckling on your 28 is almost exactly the same place as where the stampings are thinnest on mine. I wonder if it's from sitting in a holster or something.

.38s are a lot of fun out of an N-frame,aren't they?

The first time I took mine to the range I had a box of 130gr FMJ .38 and a box of Remington 158gr JSP .357. What a difference between the two!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Finally got a chance to shoot the 28-0.

After shooting the pre-36, WWB .38 SPL (800 ft./sec) , the 28 felt like shooting .22 LR...

The 28 shot beautifully, already zero'd and getting 3" 6-round groups at 25 yards. I'm happy.

Send her back  to S&W and have it reblued!I wish I had a 4 in 28 love my 6 in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Brings back some fond memories. I bought a Model 28 in 1974. It had a 6 1/2" bbl and the first thing I did was take the side plate off, smooth down all moving parts and install a target trigger and hammer. I then installed the target grips and used it for 4 years as my PPC competition gun. I was shooting three times a week between practice and competition. I cast and loaded my own wadcutters with a target load I worked up. I sure loved that gun even with its low gloss finish. Like a number of others here, I'm a big fan of N frame Smiths having owned probably a dozen of them over the years from .357 mag, .41 Mag, .44SPL and .44 Mag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been eye-balling these for a while. Think this just hit the top of my gun list.

Thanks guys, and very nice looking gun there OP and others.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
iF YOU COME ACROSS A 28 BUY IT!!Dont think twice about it.If it is a 4 in thats the hottest everybody wants one!
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
bump

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Just thought I'd share this pic of my 28-2 that my wife and I found at the local gun store yesterday.
It came with combat grips, but I cant complain, I love the way it feels in my hand.
Shot it today, and it was awesome!
Short video of S&W model 28 shooting Federal .357 magnum 158 grains

-

-

-

-

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh, and I forgot to post a pic of it's brother, my 27-2
This is by far my favorite, it has the 3.5in barrel, Target trigger and hammer and the action is soooo Smoooth!
Excellent condition for it's age.

-

-
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Nice N frame family!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#33]
My 4"

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top