Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
21 and carrying???? Shoo, scares the shit out of me.  At 21, I still didn't know shit but hey I don't now either.........

sorry you feel that way, i've been carrying since i was 21 and have always acted responsibly.  further, though i've known plenty of 21 year olds not mature enough to carry, i've also known plenty that ARE mature enough.

how do you feel about 18 year olds going to the desert to defend your freedom? (I'm also in the military)
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HK USP .40 Compact.

hey can you tell me why the full-size USP has a trigger guard that slants upward?  this design makes no sense to me

i noticed they didn't do that w/ the compact

I dunno... maybe the original was designed more for open (re: Police, security, military) carry so they gave it a more generous trigger guard to accommodate gloves.  They probably thought this was unnecessary on the compacts... but I just pulled this out of my ass.  I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
TomJefferson:

and are you aware that in some states you can carry at 18?

i certainly don't find it alarming that a 18 year old woman should be able to effectively defend herself
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunbert:

sure, i can understand a bigger trigger guard for the sake of the user wearing gloves, but still, bigger doesn't mean it can't be straight or my preference, with a groove.  the proper pistol grip involves the left fore-finger being placed on the front of the trigger guard to help control recoil, they've essentially eliminated this option.

oh well
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
99% of the time it,s a S&W 37 weight is 16.5 oz loaded w/158swchp.Works great in a pocket holster in any pocket. 1% of the time a Glock 30 .45.But weight is about 33oz loaded and is much harder to hide than just droping a J frame in your pocket
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#6]
GLOCK 30

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock 30,185gr BJHP Golden Sabres, Bianchi model 100 or Galco Fletch.
I started carrying at 19 (somewhat outside the law as it's written, but certainly within the spirit of the 2nd amendmaent) and have to this day not pointed a weapon at another human being. It's not about age, it's about maturity and mindset. I know plenty of old guys who should not be carrying and several young'uns who do responsibly. Saying 21YOs should not be carrying is equal to "whadda ya need an assault rifle fer?" Support your fellow armed and responsible (and I am giving Chuck6419 the benefit of doubt because he has done nothing to make me feel otherwise) brothers, there ain't enough to be arrogant.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Kimber Classic Custom with heavy clothing.
Sig P239 with light clothing.

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig 239 in 9mm is one of the most accurate guns iv,e ever shot. Had a glock 32 that was also a very accurate gun. Kept the glock 30 as it feeds anything and with ammo it likes shoots grate, Speer 200gr (flying ahstrays are very good ) also Rem 185 golden sabers.I have tried the new exspanding full metal jackets and they were not very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Chuck,
Save your money until you can afford the gun that you really want.Don't settle for anything less.Go to the range get lots of practice and familiarity with several different models and types of handguns the weight,the feel,the grip.Decide how much recoil you can stand from some of the smaller more compact guns.A2inch .357Sp101 kicks a hell of alot more than the Bersa .380.
As for me I carry any fullsize,major caliber semi-automatic (read:large frame .40S&W or.45ACP)by any of the major manufactures.(Sig, S&W,Colt,H&K,or Glock).And remember practice,practice and practice!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Chuck,
Save your money until you can afford the gun that you really want.Don't settle for anything less.Go to the range get lots of practice and familiarity with several different models and types of handguns the weight,the feel,the grip.Decide how much recoil you can stand from some of the smaller more compact guns.A2inch .357Sp101 kicks a hell of alot more than the Bersa .380.
quote]

although the .357 sp101 is still certainly manageable.  .38 special +P is easily controlled by the average female shooter.  and .357 mag is surprisingly not too bad
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Let me say that i worked in an indoor range near Atlanta for a while. I love the sig 239 in 9mm. Best to  save for that. I think

My opinion is on the age to carry is this...

Old enough to get raped, old enough to carry.
old enough to be murdered, old enough to carry.
Not old enough to use a firearm as a last resort, not old enough to carry...
Not old enough to quit being careless and reckless, not old enough to carry
Not old enough to completely obey gun safety laws, Not old enough to carry.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My first gun was a P90 Ruger... .45 ACP.  I kept it on my headboard and carried it concealed in my apartment (which was adjoined to the drug dealer's apartment next door).  I liked it, it was easy to conceal on me, and I felt safe with the .45 round... until I went to the range and decided to test out my PDLs.  First shot was a dud... seems some oil had fouled up the primer.

Now, I have my CDW.  I carry a Ruger GP100 3" barrel, .357 Mag.  It's a chunky gun, but I wear it on my left hip, and nobody notices it.  Mine is a DAO revolver with a trigger job and a plastic holster.  My biggest argument toward a revolver is that, if your life depends on it and that first round is a dud, when you pull the trigger on the revolver, you have a new round at your disposal.  If your auto jams or fails to fire, you have to pull that slide back--and if it's jammed too bad, you may be out of commission.  In 3 years, I've only had 3 nasty jams--one in my P90, one in my P89 9mm, and one in my Springfield 1911 A1 .45.  That's enough for me to want a revolver on my person in case I need it.

Just my .02 cents worth (adjusted for inflation).
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyday carry is a S/W 642 in.38 Spc. Sometimes my Tangfolio .25 Auto because of type of clothing or my Sig P229 9mm when I feel like a little more ammo may be needed.... :)
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
sig 220 with 230 grain hollowpoints
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
USPc40 stainless with 11 165gr. Golden Sabres.  I applied for my CCW within a week of my 21st birthday.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Usually a Kimber Series I Pro Carry in .45, occassionally my Kahr P40, but always, always my S&W M340PD with 125gr. Federal JHP Magnums.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Summer: Ruger P89 IWB in a Mexican loop - no extra bulk. P89 is like trying to conceal a shoebox, anyway. 3-15 rnd mags total - all 135 grain hydrashocks.
Winter: same but in a shoulder rig. (metal gets cold on a bare belly!)

Truck: Ruger GP100-6" bbl./.357 hydrashocks lives above the sun visor. If you do this, be very careful about pulling the visor down to block the sun when you're in city traffic. Some people get upset SO easily! Uncle Mike's clip-on holster and some locktite made this possible.

Backup/Pocket: .357 2-shot derringer in pocket holster. Also a good camp gun in Texas with .38 spcl. shot shells for snakes (the kind that don't walk). As a protective gun, it's only good at very close range. I don't worry about the two shots. My hand'll be worthless after the second shot anyway. But in emergencies...

Of course, there's also a shotgun behind the seat in the truck. That will be replaced with a .223 as soon as finances allow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok I've narrowed my choices btween a

Springfield micro-compact
Sig 239 9mm
Glock 26
Glock 36
Ruger SP101

Link Posted: 12/12/2002 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
The grips on mine are leather, and it fires the best bullets around -- dollar bills, credit cards ....

The only thing I can carry concealed (or otherwise) is my wallet. It works amazing well, a thief pops up in front of me, I show (hand it to) him my wallet and he runs away.

I live in Canada eh!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sig 239 9mm
Glock 26
Glock 36
Ruger SP101

is the springfield an SA only?  cause if you're going to be using a good holster, me personally, i prefer a gun that is quicker to draw and fire, like the sp101 or glocks
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I carry a Beretta 9000, 9mm, with 124gr Fed Hydra-Shok, JHPs. The gun is all polymer, except the rails and slide. You can find it at Cabela's (if you have one in your area), for roughly $395.00. It is a great little concealable pistol. Accurate and a dream to shoot. The safety takes a little getting used to. It goes down instead of up. Check it out and see if you like it.

WAS
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I carry a Beretta 9000, 9mm, with 124gr Fed Hydra-Shok, JHPs. The gun is all polymer, except the rails and slide. You can find it at Cabela's (if you have one in your area), for roughly $395.00. It is a great little concealable pistol. Accurate and a dream to shoot. The safety takes a little getting used to. It goes down instead of up. Check it out and see if you like it.

WAS

i'm surprised cabela sells em, i live near bass pro headquarters and they quit selling "non-sporting" guns some time ago
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 17 or S&W 5906.
Both loaded up with 124gr. +P+ Hydra shoks.

Need to get something a little smaller for Vegas summers though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Im carrying a Wilson Protector Compact, in a Mitch Rosen 5JR holster/belt rig ammo is  Fed Hydroshocks backup is a Seecamp 32 w/Winchester silvertips in a rear pocket wallet type holster

[D:]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WAS

i'm surprised cabela sells em, i live near bass pro headquarters and they quit selling "non-sporting" guns some time ago

Our Cabelas here in MI does sell handguns and if you dont see what you want sitting in the case, you can put down a deposit and they will order it for you. I am assuming (dont start) that all Cabelas sells handguns, because when I went back to buy mine, it was sold out and had to be ordered from another store. I have been in the Bass Pro out at a local mall called Great Lakes Crossing and wasnt all that impressed with it. My girlfriend described it as the GAP of sporting good stores. Since they are both about an hour away from me, I figured I would take my business down to Cabelas. If you have one near you check it out. Just my 0.02 cents.

WAS
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#27]
i don't have 1 near me unfortunately, i agree w/ you, give the business to the non-sell out store

the 1 good thing about the bass pro is for 100 bucks you can get a family membership to shoot all year in their indoor range
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Glock 20 in 10mm of course.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#29]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Sig 239 9mm
Glock 26
Glock 36
Ruger SP101
------------------------------------------------------------------------
is the springfield an SA only? cause if you're going to be using a good holster, me personally, i prefer a gun that is quicker to draw and fire, like the sp101 or glocks

Yes, the Springfield Armory micro compact is SA only, and a relatively expensive gun to boot! I carry one in an IWB holster in situations demanding discretion ... otherwise, my carry gun is a Glock 21 (yes, it's a challenge to conceal, but I can usually pull it off). Which is quicker / slower to deploy? This is not determined by the firearm, but by the operator's proficiency with the weapon system (translation: train, train, train ... repetitive practice imprints motor skills that, over time, should become automatic responses).

As already mentioned by other posts in response to the initial inquiry by CHUCK6419, the "right" gun to carry is the one in which you have a level of confidence in its reliability, and in your skill with it under stressful situations, to stake your life on! If you don't have experience shooting any of the pistols on your "short list", then now is NOT the time to commit yourself to carrying one of them. Yes, the hardware (the gun) is an important component in anybody's decision to carry a concealed weapon, but even more important is the "software" (your knowledge of, and skills with, your carry weapon).

I suggest that you go to a range where they may rent these same pistols (indoor ranges often offer gun rentals) and spend some time shooting them. Granted, you're probably not going to find a rental Springfield Armory micro compact (although you may find something similar), but chances are good for rental Glocks and the Ruger, or suitable proxies thereof. Alternatively, go to a well-attended shooting range (on a weekend?) with a friend, "browse" the shooting line for your gun(s) of choice, and politely ask questions of the respective gun owners. By doing this, you'll get valuable, practical feedback on the shooting characteristics (positive and negative) of the pistols you're interested in (beware, though, some shooters are fanatically brand-loyal ... so don't draw conclusions based on a solitary opinion). Most shooters enjoy talking about their guns almost as much as they enjoy shooting them! At the least, you'll gain some useful insight ... and perhaps some people will even let you run a bit of ammo through their guns. Who knows, you might even learn things that cause you to change your mind concerning the constituent guns on your "short list" above!

Shoot as many different types of pistols as you possibly can, so that you can truly make an informed decision regarding which one may be the best one for you to carry. As many posts have pointed out, people own multiple guns and carry different ones as appropriate to the circumstances. The bottom line is that there are multiple factors that go into the decision to carry concealed, and the only person who can say what gun is "right" for you is, ultimately, you!
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I carry a Colt 1991A1 in my shoulder holster. Waiting for my paddle holster to arrive to try it out. I'm going to order that gun rack from Cabelas for my AR-15 to mount near front seat console with in reach. There should be plenty of room in my 97 Yukon for that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry a Colt 1991A1 in my shoulder holster. Waiting for my paddle holster to arrive to try it out. I'm going to order that gun rack from Cabelas for my AR-15 to mount near front seat console with in reach. There should be plenty of room in my 97 Yukon for that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Colt Gov't Model 1911A1 (c. 1979) in .45 ACP, riding in a Milt-Sparks VersaMax II.

When I'm really dressed up, I add a Combat Commander (also from '79) in a straight drop Alessi DOJ on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Locked my keys in my car last night and all I had was a shopping bag and my USP 45 compact in its tactical holster.  Didn't have a safe place to stash the piece, and a CW is verbotten in MO, so I strapped it on and walked 3 miles to the girlfriend's house.  I got some weird looks.

I would suggest you consider the HK USP 45 compact--it's my favorite pistol by far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Locked my keys in my car last night and all I had was a shopping bag and my USP 45 compact in its tactical holster.  Didn't have a safe place to stash the piece, and a CW is verbotten in MO, so I strapped it on and walked 3 miles to the girlfriend's house.  I got some weird looks.

I would suggest you consider the HK USP 45 compact--it's my favorite pistol by far.

what part of missouri if i may ask?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this particular incident occured in Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Colt Commander with a IWB if I can carry the whole time...When I am in and out of prohibited areas I carry a Glock 30 in a Galco Paddle for ease and comfort of on and off again...If its really hot (shorts and tank top) I will only have my backup NAA Guardian in a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Commander style 1911A1 in 45 auto. Is there anything else worthy of being carried?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this particular incident occured in Springfield.

well how bout that.... ever go shoot at pleasant hope or buseik?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Had Alabama CCW license since 1993.

#1 carry gun = Colt Mustang Pcketlite .380

#2 Carry Gun = S&W Centennial 642 .38 SP+P

#3 (Deep Cover carry) = Kel-Tec P32 .32 ACP

It gets very  HOT in Alabama. So I am limited to pocket pistols. I would love to carry a Ruger KP97 .45 ACP, but it would not be practical. The big gun would stay in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a 1911A1 .45 ACP, but it stays in the safe. The climate here is not cooperative with concealing relatively large pistols.

How do you conceal your 1911?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
How do you conceal your 1911?

Milt Sparks Summer Special or an Alessi GWH... these are the only IWBs I use anymore. Both of these holsters make it easy to effectively carry and conceal a full size 1911. I carry my TR Special 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week in either one of these rigs... very comfy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
21 and carrying???? Shoo, scares the shit out of me.

Heck, I was carrying at 18.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
21 and carrying???? Shoo, scares the shit out of me.

Heck, I was carrying at 18.

glad to hear it. luckily, indiana (my home state) recognizes that 18 year olds should have the right to carry
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Taurus Millinium in .45 acp.  Always goes bang when I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Glock 19 9mm loaded, with 147 gr Ranger Ts. Its outfited with an extended slide release and meprolight night sights. I rides around in a Fobus paddle roto holster, with two spare mags also in a paddle. At night I also carry an M3 tactical light with the Glock 19, it too rides in a Fobus carrier... (see the trend here ;) )
For a back up I went with a Glock 26 9mm also loaded with the 147 Gr Ranger Ts. It has the Meprolight night sights, extended slide release, it also has an extended mag release. I carry two spare mags for it, all three mags have the Perice finger grip on the bottom of the mags. The Glock 26 rides in a Fobus ankle holster. All and all this carry option works for me. In the summer I switch up and just carry the Glock 26, and in the winter I carry both. Once there is snow on the ground I move the Glock 26 from my ankel to a hip rig, so I dont have to worry about steping into a foot of snow and having my back up covered in it.
Durring the snummer my Glock 26 rides in a Fobus paddle holster. I love my custom glocks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Many are mentioning the benefits of trying different models. I'll give you avery good example of why.
I am a fairly large individual with large hands, I will cary either an SP101(2 1/4" .357 with a Hogue grip) or a ful size 1911. The 1911 will hit right where I point it, the Ruger with stock grips required that I aim for your knees for a center mass hit (at 5 steps away) until I changed the grip. I have that same problem with any full size Glock and some of the compact ones. I believe that your weapon needs to be an extension of you - where you look\intend to point is where it should impact. When you wrap you hand around that grip it should be like an old friend.... it should be comfortable and confident.

I don't want to start an aimed vs instinctive thing here, but with the 1911 I can pick a spot on the wall and point the gun at it. The sights WILL BE on that spot... some guns, by virtue of their design, would be pointing well off the intended path. Don't say this can be overcome with training and muscle memory 'cuz I shot the SP101 exclusively for nearly a year and I simply could not come from concealment and make that first round hit where I was looking...... I did it with the first two shots (doubletap) with the 1911 after not touching it for over a year AND exclusively shooting several hundred rounds a week with a different pistol.

The point here is that I want the gun to point, and hit, exactly where I look! Sometimes instinct and reaction is what will save yer bacon and I want that bullet hitting the attacker, not going over his head.....

All this rambling, and I have to add that I have made a conscious effort over the years to practice aimed fire, "flash sight piture", and point shooting for instances where each is appropriate.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#47]
The last post frames the answer perfectly to "What gun?": THE ONE YOU CAN SHOOT WELL WITH.

That being said, why so few wheelgun fans here?

I carry an ex-NYPD Ruger KSP-101 ("NYPD Stainless", tho very few people get the joke)
I think it's one of the most underrated guns out there. The investment cast stainless frame gives a lot of strength in a small package.

Plus, the versitality in ammo is a big plus. Fires everything from .38 wadcutters to Cor-Bon .357 PowRballs...
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Appropriate enough for my first post:

I mainly carry a Glock 22.  Occasionally I will add a Glock 27 as backup.

I also own and carry a Beretta 92 and a Norinco 1911A1, but they get less carry due to their weight.

Yes, I know some of you shudder to hear the name Norinco.  But the pistol fires every time I pull the trigger, and it's the best you can do for a 1911 here in Massachusetts for under $500.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I carry a full size, parkerized, Auto Ordnance 1911A1 with big dot Express Sights in a Milt Sparks "Watch Six" IWB holster. Loaded with CCI Blazer 230 gr FMJ. And an extra 7-rd mag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Glock 23 that I have at my bed side table, put in the center consol of my vehicle.  I take the Glock on vacation and traveling.

But.........for carring around on my person, I carry the same gun that I've had since 1970.  A S&W .38 Chief Special w/+P ammo.  It's so small and light that I don't even notice that I have this gun on me.  

Rambosky
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top