[#3]
45acp- 1911, sig 220, hk45
9mm- cz75, glock 19, sig 226
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
G 35  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea of an M&P with and M&P...

I am a little biased though...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats kinda my rational for wanting the 45acp..being that im not a big bore guide when it comes to fighting rifles, i only own one 762 so i figured i pack some more punch on the hip.  I see what u are saying though with 9mm going with 556s, but im green.

I guess i'm looking in the range of  $500-750.

I have handled several 9mm glocks...all nice, almost to nice and smooth. Shot a good friends .45 that he carries on duty and def. a bit nasty for a rec. shooter at the range from week to week but for some reason all the 45s i shot actual feel like your throwing some heat down range.

Wow guys thanks for responses, and sorry ADMIN i thought where to best put this thread and i usually when i use my head it tends to make most things worst.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]

hey buddy awhile ago i was checking out those usp 45s.....do u know if that is still a common carry with frogmen downrange?  By the way all the tools in the pic are sick, nice pic and def nice gear!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
sig p229 for me.

or pre series 70 colt 1911A1.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=5&f=4&t=78859&r=770139&page=2

DAMN right, had to admit in an AR forum but that is my all time hunny right there, just without the jellyjina 10rder...poor-manning right now with the gsg-pk, but after popping the screws and pins, nice mount and optic im tempted to buy another one to duel weld like im blasting green things from HALO 2.  I really do hope ultimately down the road i end up with a real deal holyfield mp5 pk/pdw or a nice clean sp-89. Great suggestion, only if i had the dollar billssss.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
What in the heck is that bad mama jamma.....figures u would let the pic speak for itself for awhile.  Love to know if this is even production,  very cool but cant picture myself with a revolver over an auto.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the problem with 9 mm's are they are "baby bullets". I often think of the joke phrase,"he is such an idiot he would take a 9 mm to a gunfight". Get yourself any of the great .45 ACP pistols out there now and have the perfect and effective compliment to your AR....<><....:).

This is about one of the dumbest posts I've read here....ever.

I highly doubt that you'd volunteer to be shot with 147 gr Federal HST's or "baby bullets" as you like to call them.

Let him keep thinking that.

As for my opinion, Glock either a G17 or G21SF if you want .45.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]
G17
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Sig P229 in .357 Sig......

the caliber - when the shelves are bare, .357 will be there, more energy than a "forty" more penetration than the old trusty .45 and to all the 9mm fans..... it uses a 9mm bullet  (yeah ya give up capacity)

the gun - D/A safety for carrying and S/A for accuracy, points better than your index finger, accurate, comfy, smooth....

Similarities-
Like the AR's forward assist the P229 has its own almost unnecessary mechanism with the de-cocker...
Can swap out barrels to change caliber  You know you want to shoot this
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Lots of  great choices for you. 1911, BHP, Beretta 92, S&W M&P...

I'm currently enjoying this P 220, one of the most accurate pistols right out of the box I've had the pleasure of shooting:

Please let us know what you decide to go with. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I say HK USP TACTICAL 45
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Full rail Springfield Operator or CZ SP01.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
well the Beretta 92FS / M9 is the typical sidearm of our military .... how about that?  I was checking one out today at Bass Pro.

or ................

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v3/p969313396.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v3/p241355011.jpg

This; in your choice of calibers.

The perfect American made sidearm to compliment the American icon which is the AR-15.

Leave Springfield's re-branded Croatian manufactured HS 2000 pistols (XDs) and the Austrian hand grenades for those who want to complement their collection of Euro-rifles.

If you want to compliment a collection great American Battle wood and steel rifles from a bygone era such as the 1903, M1 or M14; the choice would be the 1911.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#19]
D.T.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the problem with 9 mm's are they are "baby bullets". I often think of the joke phrase,"he is such an idiot he would bring a 9 mm to a gunfight". Get yourself any of the great .45 ACP pistols out there now and have the perfect and effective compliment to your AR....<><....:).

Ignorance is bliss.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to a range and rent a bunch of different handguns, shoot them, see what you think.

Best advice in the thread and the only way to find what is right for you.

Yup.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I feel like a chic for asking this but damn i forgot how much i like the added personality  that the aftermarket grips give some of the 1911s i see, usually the nicer ones, anyone have a sweet 1911 with some nice aftermarket grips that wanna share em....this seems to be the direction im thinking of.  After all these great responses what do u guys think about a springfield emp 1911 compact in the 40 instead of the 9mm, OR a Kimber 1911 compact...not sure on a certain model since kimber makes such unique and custom 1911s. Might be worth it to hold out til i get closer to 800 or 900 with respect to my 500 to 700 budget now that makes me miss the nicer lower priced kimbers by a hundred or 2.

Am i missing something with kimber, after looking at the ones GB, WOW arguable some of the prettiest fine metal/etc work in general, and for sure when it comes to firearms,  all the highly custom ones remind me ultra nice over/under 20s and 12s with gold etching and such.  To me just basing it on other folks reports and the eye candy of their appearance, is price the only drawback to these dudes?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131406637

Damn if i had 1500 this is prob. IMHO exactly what i would get......back to reality, perhaps dropping 1500 hundo on your first pistol would be like marlin trolling your first time in blue water.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Well... My first choice was/is a 1911 .45 ACP.
backed up by a Glock 19 followed by a kel-tec P3AT...
The 1st two fell great in the hand, and they all are scary as f*^k looking down the barrel!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#24]
HK45
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the problem with 9 mm's are they are "baby bullets". I often think of the joke phrase,"he is such an idiot he would take a 9 mm to a gunfight". Get yourself any of the great .45 ACP pistols out there now and have the perfect and effective compliment to your AR....<><....:).

Ive carried a Colt 1911 Combat Elite 45acp  for several years

I would carry a 9mm no problems

the 9mm is / HAS more than enough power

all that matters is shot placement
A good expanding bullet would help also.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Wilson or Ed Brown 1911... Springfield MC Operator or TRP...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is horseshit.

You sir are correct, complete horse shit. Sure is some dandies in this thread!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#28]
in my head: ARs and 1911s, AKs and Glocks

h/w, its mostly Glocks now w/ everything long gun
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow. No nods for the Glock 19 huh?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is horseshit.

You sir are correct, complete horse shit. Sure is some dandies in this thread!

Be generous and patient.  There are some old folks out there who have not read up much on the relative effectiveness of handgun rounds.  We have to accept ignorance and move on helping where we can.  Of course, there are also some that are stuck in 1973 and can't break out.  Their job is to annoy the shit out of the rest of us until they keel over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting.  Everyone responds as if the thread were 'what is your favorite handgun?'.  That's not really the question.  The question is 'if you were carrying your long gun, what would be your choice if sidearm?'.  Hopefully including some insightful reasons why.

Let's see.. if I'm carrying a long gun, I must be either deployed or at the range in a training class.  If I'm deployed then an M9 even if I'm a mercenary.  That way I can get parts and it has to be 9mm because I'm not going to maintain my own stash of ammo if I'm going to keep in practice.  It may not be your favorite, but it's reliable and accurate and you need logistics support in the field.

If I'm at the range in a training class then I can have whatever I want.  Probably the Sig 226.  I prefer a BHP but I shoot the SIG a bit better.  I also prefer the 1911 but if I'm in class I don't want to be constantly demonstrating my rapid reload technique.

If I'm in a comic book scenario and the biker zombies are closing in, then the BHP because after I go through a few thousand rounds of 5.56, my last stand should be with a nice, custom pistol for style points.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are going the .45 route, I can't offer anything. I haven't owned, or spent any great deal of time shooting anything in .45.

If you are open to 9mm, and have no problem with a polymer pistol, the Glock 19 gets my vote. IMO, it's the perfect complement.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#34]
TRP Gets my vote!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Glock, hands down.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#36]

I don't have much use for an AR myself, but I do like .30 calibers.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#37]
How about one of these:

I would think that this would be the PERFECT sidearm to an AR.  Interchangable mags, ammo, parts, no change in how to operate, etc...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Glock of course. simple and always works. much like the AR.

Simple and always works, sounds more like the AK then the AR.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
i like ar pistols but i would prob. get a vector or bobcat or coherie arms pk knockoff and then spend a few extra and man hours to do the proper reliability mods.  DAMN love those 3 different member pics of their Ar's and Sidearm....Gent above those made a good point that after i read the first few replies lost sight of myself and def. did once i looked at those nasty nasty super tweeked kimbers.  Sweet recce build are sidearm in the above pic...great response to the ? i had org. asked and seemed to have forgotten about.  The next pics with the nice acog'ed m4, wow what a smoking piece that is, i assume that is one of the newer more custom done kimbers.  I really like the size in my hand of the springfield emd 1911, felt on earlier today at gun store, and the kimber compacts, appear to hold the same specs almost and a dude today told me if i liked the bal. and feel of the springfield than the kimber will only prob. feel a lil more betterwhen i was at the gunstore earlier today, surprised to see it when only hr. or two before i first started to take a gander at em...way to pricey in general and as u guys know, most of the neck'd gun stores are absolutely still getting by with raping many folks. Damn ones near me almost have a new business model, sell only a few actual guns, but the dumbasses who do actual pay their high as balls on a giraffe sticker prob. with their taxation make it a tradeoff between doing folks right with lower margins and more sales.  The most glaring and appalling  part of so many post and some pre obamo gunstores is that they already made u feel like a terd asking ?s, thank god i found u guys by the way, but i will be damned but as of the last cpl. times in different surrounding store i get the vibe many are imagining a stethoscope is hanging ard. their neck and Dr. in front of their name. Damn right with that mean od green m1, that to me has always screamed "shooter" to me.  I saw a dude a few weeks back with a brand new SS match ed. and wow was it nice....the damn wood on the stock was no crap the very nicest finish ive seen.  I bet the guy has to maintain it will some type of oil treatment for it look as good as it did then when it was almost New a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#40]
IMO, the 9mm Glock is the perfect companion to the AR.

Like the AR, ...

1. Glocks can be easily field striped or detailed stripped with no special tools (even the AR has a few tools).
2. Glock parts do not need to be "fitted". No gunsmiths or special machining needed. Anybody with even moderate mechanical skills to can service, maintain and upgrade their own weapon.
3. The Glock design is a platform meaning with the controls and triggers remain the same across the platform, that can be had in different sizes and calibers to meet your needs.
4. Magazines, holsters, sights and all other parts and accessories are more common for the Glock then just about any other handgun platform. They are also typically cheaper then what's available for other platforms.
5. The 9mm is to handguns what the 5.56mm is to carbines. Not the most powerful but more then enough for the intended purpose. The upside is less felt recoil, high capacity and reduced costs which all those factors allow for more practice. More practice should lean to better shot placement and in the end, its shot placement that matters most.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
in my head: ARs and 1911s, AKs and Glocks

To me, it's more like M1 & M14 -> 1911, AR ->Glock, AK ->CZ

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
IMO, the 9mm Glock is the perfect companion to the AR.

Like the AR, ...

1. Glocks can be easily field striped or detailed stripped with no special tools (even the AR has a few tools).
2. Glock parts do not need to be "fitted". No gunsmiths or special machining needed. Anybody with even moderate mechanical skills to can service, maintain and upgrade their own weapon.
3. The Glock design is a platform meaning with the controls and triggers remain the same across the platform, that can be had in different sizes and calibers to meet your needs.
4. Magazines, holsters, sights and all other parts and accessories are more common for the Glock then just about any other handgun platform. They are also typically cheaper then what's available for other platforms.
5. The 9mm is to handguns what the 5.56mm is to carbines. Not the most powerful but more then enough for the intended purpose. The upside is less felt recoil, high capacity and reduced costs which all those factors allow for more practice. More practice should lean to better shot placement and in the end, its shot placement that matters most.

Excellent post.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
IMO, the 9mm …

Veritas.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#45]
if you are going to run a suppressor I like a Glock 17 with 147 gr. subsonic ammo

without a suppressor I like the FN 57 pistol with its higher mag-cap. and ability to carry alot more lighter weight ammo. Not to mention its SCARY accurate, and mine has been VERY reliable. Price would be a downside tho....I paid $950 for mine, and new 20 rd. mags cost $40-45 without a 10rd extension.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#46]
hmm. I've read a few good posts here... I still think that, if you are in need of a rifle, you'll need/want your sidearm to be:

1) Accurate  (full size)
2) Powerful  (.45, 10mm .40)
3) Highest possible capacity w/out an extended Mag.

My choices are limited as to what I can own in NY...
I'd take my 1911, over my glock 19 only because if I ran out of ammo in the AR I'd like to have the chance at stopping a threat from a distance w/ one shot...
Now, if it was a cqc situation the g-19 would be the choice, 15 rounds is better than 9 per mag.

I'd pair the G-19 w/ the Mossberg 500...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock of course. simple and always works. much like the AR.

Simple and always works, sounds more like the AK then the AR.

Someone is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hmm. I've read a few good posts here... I still think that, if you are in need of a rifle, you'll need/want your sidearm to be:

1) Accurate  (full size)
2) Powerful  (.45, 10mm .40)
3) Highest possible capacity w/out an extended Mag.

My choices are limited as to what I can own in NY...
I'd take my 1911, over my glock 19 only because if I ran out of ammo in the AR I'd like to have the chance at stopping a threat from a distance w/ one shot...
Now, if it was a cqc situation the g-19 would be the choice, 15 rounds is better than 9 per mag.

What leads you to believe that a .45 will have a better chance of dropping someone with one shot at a distance than 9mm?

Please, read up on the Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

With modern defense ammo the differences in terminal balistics between 9mm/.40/45 are negligible.  
Shot placement and # of rounds on target > caliber.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#49]
High point .380.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
High point .380.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top