Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/24/2017 7:59:34 PM EDT
This is my first high end 1911. I have owned a few colts and a remington r1, still have the r1 and a gold cup.

Was never in the market for a higher end gun, but found one available and could not pass it up.

Is it in the same class as the Wilsons, etc.? Will I notice a big difference from my production 1911s?

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is making it ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of it
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Buddy had one . Meh , I like my Gold Cup YMMV
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who is making it ?
View Quote
Springfield professional
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well now, knowing it is Springfield Professional, that changes a lot.

That is, IMHO, more or less equal to some Wilson models.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably one of the most tested, nicest 1911s out there
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It’ll be fine or awesome.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Never had one but everything I hear says it should be top notch.   Congrats and Merry Christmas, OP!
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buddy had one . Meh , I like my Gold Cup YMMV
View Quote
The Springfield professional is 10 times the pistol the gold cup is.

Every part is handfitted. Barrel link, slide stop, barrel bushing, barrel, and other parts are numbered to the pistol.  Slide moves like it's on bearings.

Tight as a vault, but ultra reliable.

OP, they're incredible pistols.  If I could afford a second, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You'll really like it.

I like them minus any front serrations. And blued. Just a damn good looking working pistol with everything you need and nothing you don't.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Springfield professional is 10 times the pistol the gold cup is.

Every part is handfitted. Barrel link, slide stop, barrel bushing, barrel, and other parts are numbered to the pistol.  Slide moves like it's on bearings.

Tight as a vault, but ultra reliable.

OP, they're incredible pistols.  If I could afford a second, I'd buy one.
View Quote
This.

My pro rail is my favorite out of 5 full custom shop builds by SACS. It’s also on par with any Wilson, nighthawk,brown that I have ever shot.

OP, there is no comparison between one of these and a factory pistol.  Once you cross the semi custom threshold, it’s hard to go back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@chase45
View Quote
I thought he has a trp.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought he has a trp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@chase45
I thought he has a trp.
He has both.....and  runs em both like raped apes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
10 x LOL
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am really looking forward to this one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
10 x LOL
View Quote
I own a gold cup, a combat elite, and a 1991.  There is no comparison between any of them and a Springfield Pro.  They simply aren't in the same league.  My les Baer TRS isn't on the same level.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I received mine last week after a 18 month wait. It is a great gun and has fed everything I have put through it so far. Even my downloaded reloads cycled fine. I have to admit that I shoot my Les Baer TRS better, but that gun has thousands of rounds through it and has been with me for years. My Pro also shoots low for me.. You are getting a gun equal to a Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, or Baer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Would it be blasphemy to put the pachmayr wrap around grip on it? The one used on the old m45s.

I love the idea of a quality 1911 with the appearance of a no frills beater..
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I own a gold cup, a combat elite, and a 1991.  There is no comparison between any of them and a Springfield Pro.  They simply aren't in the same league.  My les Baer TRS isn't on the same level.
View Quote
Cool glad your a fan
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
my railed pro has O.G. Pach’s on it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#22]
The Pro is a slick piece, that I'd change a few things on.

I personally don't like the mag well.
I'd fit a flat bottom firing pin stop.
The wood grips are very nice, but not my preferred wood grips, and I prefer VZs over all.
The finish is very nice.
I don't prefer 3-dot sights. I prefer a .140"-.170" black Novak rear.
I like a trigger with a fixed overtravel stop rather than a screw.
I'd like an extended mag catch.
I'm not a huge fan of ambi safeties, and if I had one it'd be a Wilson Bulletproof.
I prefer series 80.

That said:

The Springfield Professional is one of the best semi-custom handguns ever made, and I REALLY liked the one I shot. SACS does an impressive job building a pistol. So much so that I had them build my Colt using a few of their parts, along with the other parts I specced out. (I used a Springfield NM barrel, link, link pin, and bushing.)

Even though I think it has a less than optimal feature set, it doesn't take away from the superb accuracy, reliability, trigger, ergonomics, and shootability.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#23]
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=144074

There is a long thread on this forum about the pro.
I bought the railed model. it is the most perfect 1911 I have ever owned.
I would choose this gun over a Wilson, Nighthawk, ed Brown, etc.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

you wont regret buying one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I have both a TRP and a Professional.

As stated I have put both through the ringer, probably more so the professional.

Other than a long wait from SACS, I had a buddy that waited over a year for one, it will be a great pistol.

Im not sure how many rounds I have through it, but enough to have a cracked frame rail and the first 3/4 to a inch of barrel looks.... not right

That said the bushing to barrel fit is still super tight, the bushing to slide frame is still stupid tight, and it still lays down good groups.

If I was looking for another high end 1911, Im not sure I would look anywhere else.

Theres just something about the professional model and its history

For what its worth Ive owned a NHC 10-8 model and shot wilsons in the past. Its in the same happy place as them, I think honestly maybe even a bit better(wake me up when everyone else uses a real finish on par with black t). Perhaps Im biased, but I didn't recall having to muscle the bushing out of the NHC as I did the professional.

Ill give you one word of advice and something I only did for my professional. I wouldn't take my apart by turning the bushing while the gun is locked like you would a normal field strip. Instead I would pull the slide stop out, get the slide off the frame. Then I would unlock the barrel, and finally twist the bushing to release the barrel. I cant swear it saved any wear, but my bushing to barrel, and slide fit is still super tight. I .continue to use this field strip method on it to this day

Now with all this said the pistol itself isn't going to make you a fantastic shot, it will only give you a little edge for you to use. You still have to be on top of your pistol shooting to get the full use out of this gun.

Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s going to be a huge step up from what you have now. Comparable if not better then a Wilson IMO. Given the choice of a CQB or a pro I would go with the Pro everytime
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Chase, I don’t want to de rail this thread, but would love be to see detail pics of the frame/barrel that your describing....and also what led up to it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought he has a trp.
View Quote
Both
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Both
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought he has a trp.
Both

Nice
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The Professional was and is my grail gun. I remember the original American Handguner article. Eventually I got on the waiting list and waited 26 months to take possession of mine in Fall 2015. It’s every bit as good as I hoped.

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Most Wanted: The FBI’s Prestigious SWAT Team Pistol (From American Handgunner 2000)

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like I will be receiving her sometime in early or mid March.

After much deliberation, I have decided that I will keep the wood grips on it, though other than the pachmayr grips, I was strongly considering the greenish grips from nighthawk that come on the GRP.

I just don't know if it would have been a bad look to have those on a pistol with no Nighthawk components, but I have always loved the look of those things, and I really like g10 grips.

I will post pics when I get it!

Also, @chase45 do the pros no longer come with Novak sights, or did you swap yours out? And I will keep your advice about field stripping in mind.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#33]
It should have Novak’s.  That’s what was specified in the contract.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like I will be receiving her sometime in early or mid March.

After much deliberation, I have decided that I will keep the wood grips on it, though other than the pachmayr grips, I was strongly considering the greenish grips from nighthawk that come on the GRP.

I just don't know if it would have been a bad look to have those on a pistol with no Nighthawk components, but I have always loved the look of those things, and I really like g10 grips.

I will post pics when I get it!

Also, @chase45 do the pros no longer come with Novak sights, or did you swap yours out? And I will keep your advice about field stripping in mind.
View Quote
I did swap the rear sight and the grips for some VZ grips, just order VZ grips, its what NHC uses
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Alright......I can't take it any longer.

What is the order process?  What do I need to do?

@Pony151515
@Chase45
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@Pony151515
@Chase45
View Quote
I was lucky enough to stumble across one in stock, but I did layaway so I wouldn't have to go into my savings or break my "fun" budget.

I planned on stretching it out to mid march, but I now will pay it off and get it in February. I don't mind a little wait, but I don't want to wait two more months.

I don't know what the wait time from sacs is.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@Pony151515
@Chase45
View Quote
Gb has em
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
@detacbob
Here is one, http://www.osagecountyguns.com/springfield-armory-pc9111lr.html

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Damn, that is less than I got my non railed version for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#41]
send this guy an email and ask if he has any or if any are due to arrive.
I bought both of mine from him and he is a very good guy to work with.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He has 2 1/2 hours to save $404.00.

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#43]
The PRO has been on my short list for years.  A local shop had one recently and I couldn't believe how tightly it was fitted. I was very impressed but couldn't pony up the cash.  This thread has re-ignited my interest in the PRO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:26:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I went to my local gun shop, where they had 5 Pros in stock.  I finger fked all five, and picked the one I liked best.

I'd never seen 5 in one place before.

I own Wilson Combat and Ed Brown 1911's, and a custom shop Colt.  I've had two Baers, a Nighthawk, and other SACS guns.

The Pro is every bit as nice as the others.  It's not 100% to my personal preference (I like a solid trigger, some other minor details), but it's a top notch gun and a real workhorse.  It's not a show piece.

I have JM Custom Kydex gear, and I put a set of black VZ 320's on it.  All business.

When I get around to it, I'm going to sell one of my Ed Browns, and buy another Pro.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Add VZ Gunners and you're done. You can pay more for cosmetics. You can pay more to have a gun that will shoot wadcutters a little more accurately. You can't buy a more reliable 1911 for any price.

Mine has run best with Tripp 8 rounders. Once I got a few thousand rounds on a CMC 8rd mag, I'd start to have feeding problems. I put the Tripp +7 conversions in those and they have been great as range mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have both a TRP and a Professional.

As stated I have put both through the ringer, probably more so the professional.

Other than a long wait from SACS, I had a buddy that waited over a year for one, it will be a great pistol.

Im not sure how many rounds I have through it, but enough to have a cracked frame rail and the first 3/4 to a inch of barrel looks.... not right

That said the bushing to barrel fit is still super tight, the bushing to slide frame is still stupid tight, and it still lays down good groups.

If I was looking for another high end 1911, Im not sure I would look anywhere else.

Theres just something about the professional model and its history

For what its worth Ive owned a NHC 10-8 model and shot wilsons in the past. Its in the same happy place as them, I think honestly maybe even a bit better(wake me up when everyone else uses a real finish on par with black t). Perhaps Im biased, but I didn't recall having to muscle the bushing out of the NHC as I did the professional.

Ill give you one word of advice and something I only did for my professional. I wouldn't take my apart by turning the bushing while the gun is locked like you would a normal field strip. Instead I would pull the slide stop out, get the slide off the frame. Then I would unlock the barrel, and finally twist the bushing to release the barrel. I cant swear it saved any wear, but my bushing to barrel, and slide fit is still super tight. I .continue to use this field strip method on it to this day

Now with all this said the pistol itself isn't going to make you a fantastic shot, it will only give you a little edge for you to use. You still have to be on top of your pistol shooting to get the full use out of this gun.

https://i.imgur.com/EBSgSpM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UIGbPJl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KwC3q3R.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI96UU9oMzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4U_NeMtGGk
View Quote
Thanks for the great info!   Ok, so from a guy that's semi new to 1911's, not pistols, just 1911's.  Guesstimate how many rounds it takes to start cracking a frame like that?   Those videos are pretty insane.    Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#48]
How many? Cracking a frame is an aberration. I have a Kimber with 13,000 + rounds through it with no issues. I have a Colt 1911 that turned 100 years old last year. No cracked frame.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Ned Christiansen has done a bunch of custom work on high mileage 1911s (50,000, 100,000, 200,000+). If I'm remembering this right, its not if it will crack, but when. There are several points the frame commonly cracks at, and on most, you can mill out the crack and march on. Its when the barrel lugs start to shear from the barrel that you have a problem.

I think I have a hairline crack on my SA Pro, right above the slide stop on the right side. This is at around 35,000 or so rounds. Hasn't had any effect on function.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a railed and non railed model and both perform extremely well. The only thing I changed was the grips, when shooting in 100 degree heat the pistols would just slide around in your hands so I swapped the gorgeous walnut grips for some Vz's. I have 1300 through the railed version and my wife has 700 through the non railed model. After they got broke in they have ran flawless. It took roughly 400-500 rounds to smooth out the action but they are hard fit so that is to be expected. The trigger is great as well very crisp with a short reset.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top