Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
This is certainly an interesting development.  The only reason I carry a Glock is because it doesn't have a safety, and I certainly wouldn't if it did.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Reading through the glocktalk thread, it seems to only be speculation at this point.  There is nothing that states that this WILL be on the 4th gen Glocks.  I can bet that if Glock did try something like this it would be outraged so hard by the glock community and their sales would go in the shitter so fast, they'd find a way to take it off or make a factory mod to get rid of it.  The one thing I can say about a glock is that it certainly reenforces proper trigger discipline and if you're not retarded, you can do just great with a glock.  I sure hope that this does not affect us here because if it does, used Glocks (1st 2nd & 3rd gen) glocks are going to end up costing more than a 4th gen because no one will want the 4th gen and everyone will want the others since they're not being produced.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good thing I own a Springfield XD .45

I guess the whole "reason" (for me anyway) to have bought a Glock is shot to shit then: the lack of a manual safety, IE, revolver-ness in a hi-cap semi auto.

I ended up getting the XD over the Glock because of the loaded chamber indicator, cocked striker indicator, ambi mag release (Im a lefty), and I think grip safeties are cool. Oh yeah and the comfy grip.
Oh yeah, and XD's do not explode. And also theres no need to keep up with what serial number you've got in order to be sure your current with the most up to date Glock "product parts upgrade" pack.
So much for perfection!

To each his own.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks to me like the safety would be deactivated by just achieving a firing grip.  The middle of the metacarpal should press against the safety enough to push it in.  We shouldn't lose any speed in getting the gun to fire, but re-safing the gun will require an extra step(if used).

However, I am left handed, and I wonder if the safety can be reconfigured for southpaws.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice!!!! Now Glocks can be carried safely!!!!! Now all then need to do if fix the KaBoom problem!!!!

WOW!  You're right!  Glocks were sooo unsafe before.  They fire if you pull the trigger... Go figure.  Here's a clue: Don't pull the trigger unless  you want to shoot.  But you had a good point when you said, "Now all then need to do if fix the KaBoom problem."  Well, now all yo need to do if fix typing problem!!!!

From an institutional perspective they WERE unsafe. PERIOD.

Remember: safeties do not exist to prevent mechanical failure - they exist to prevent unwanted mechanical operation.

The POINT of a safety is that something or someone just MAY contact the trigger at a time other than when the gun is supposed to fire.

At that point, all the arguing about 'THE RULES' is pointless, as the gun will either fire (no safety/safety-on-trigger/safety off) or not fire (effective safety on).

While Glock did a great job of ensuring their gun will never fire due to being dropped, used as a hammer, or punched nose-first down onto a table, they did NOTHING to ensure that it would not fire if someone 'slipped' and pulled the trigger, or if the gun snagged on a holster, or some foreign object...

Safeties are 'idiot switches', and from an institutional perspective, they are vital - the difference between an 'Oh Shit, that was dumb' and someone getting shot/killed...

Give this man a beer.. or at least tell him to shut up and drink the kool-aid already.  His points are spot-on.  Manual safeties are great, every gun should have one.  If it doesn't, a grip safety is a great halfway point.  The glock drop and trigger (they claim a third, forget what it is) safties alone I've never thought to be "enough."
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I can imagine CCW situations where someone draws and being (understandably) very nevous and very shaky from having to unexpectedly having to suddenly shoot to defend themselves acidentally hitting the mag release instead of the safety becasue of how close they are to each other. Then they have a one-round pistol that still has a manual safety engaged. Spiffy.

Isn't the lack of a traditional manual safety the reason why most people CCW w/ glock anyway? If I had my choice, I'd say a grip safety on a glock would be fantastic, and enough that I wouldn't worry as much about the trigger being accidentally bumped while drawing or whatever.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If a loaded Glock makes you uncomfortable to the point where you think it isn't safe enough, you have no business being around any firearm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If a loaded Glock makes you uncomfortable to the point where you think it isn't safe enough, you have no business being around any firearm.

true, but unexpected stuff still happens.

some people would rather have the perceived increase in safety, they don't care if it takes an extra half second to switch something off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

true, but unexpected stuff still happens.

some people would rather have the perceived increase in safety, they don't care if it takes an extra half second to switch something off.

I don't have a problem with safeties.  I carry my 1911's and HK's cocked and locked, and thats actually what I prefer.  The safety comes off during the draw and absolutely zero time is lost.

The "perceived" safety of a safety is just that...and it some cases, that sense of safety is an excuse to be lax in your firearms handling.

Unexpected stuff does happen, but if you properly handle a Glock just like you should any other handgun, you will never have an issue.

Its funny, because any time I see someone say they wish a Glock had a safety...I become tempted to ask them what they think about Beretta Elite's, Sigs, CZ's, and other DA autos with decockers.  Most of them have no problem with those, which is why it makes me wonder why people have problems with Glocks.

The reholster issue also makes me laugh when its brought up, especially for cops.  Alot of cops carry DA/SA w/decocker guns.  I can see an untrained cop being much more likely to fire his Sig, forget to decock it while under pressure, and try to reholster it while keeping his finger near the trigger than have an ND with a Glock in similar fashion.  You've got that long pull, and unless your finger is centered on the trigger, even if you brush up against it while reholstering, you'd still have to deactivate the trigger safety.

The initial pull on a Glock is almost as long as any DA out there, and while not as heavy...you still have to deliberately pull the trigger in order for it to fire.  

Loaded Glocks are just as safe as any other handgun out there.  Different in design, but just as safe.  There is no reason why one should make someone uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like Glock is trying to make their own USP.  Plastic, external safety, reliable, the works.  Not a bad thing.........

I still hate it, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Give this man a beer.. or at least tell him to shut up and drink the kool-aid already.  His points are spot-on.  Manual safeties are great, every gun should have one.  If it doesn't, a grip safety is a great halfway point.  The glock drop and trigger (they claim a third, forget what it is) safties alone I've never thought to be "enough."

Never owned a revolver huh?  

I think Dave_A is just explaining how an institution may view Glocks; not making a claim that Glocks are unsafe.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess the whole "reason" (for me anyway) to have bought a Glock is shot to shit then: the lack of a manual safety, IE, revolver-ness in a hi-cap semi auto.

I ended up getting the XD over the Glock because of the loaded chamber indicator, cocked striker indicator, ambi mag release (Im a lefty), and I think grip safeties are cool. Oh yeah and the comfy grip.
Oh yeah, and XD's do not explode. And also theres no need to keep up with what serial number you've got in order to be sure your current with the most up to date Glock "product parts upgrade" pack.
So much for perfection!

That's one of the god things about Glock, sport. Always improving.
Also, how long has the HS/XD line actually been on the market? Maybe a year in .45?
Bet you'll see some "improvements" with it too.

Sorry I hurt your feelings, slick. Ahem. Yeah. Anyway...
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Being around a loaded glock in (insert your favorite dumbass here)'s hands may be something to think about though...

The reason for them adding a mechanical safety is that some large markets (like the US military, for instance) are closed to idiot-switchless firearms, like Glocks...

Although the military isn't up for a new pistol (JCP aside, that's just SOCOM now...), Glock needs a safety or they won't even get in the door the next time a contract is up...

The same, most likely, applies for other large institutional customers - safties are mandatory from a management/command perspective, as the question is 'would you trust the worst guy in the squad with this'...

Remember: MOST LARGE GUN COMPANIES are primarily concerned with INSTITUTIONAL sales - they know that if they get the 'right' big contract, their sidebar individual sales will go sky high anyway, just because people will buy whatever the (insert agnecy/service-branch here) uses...

So design changes are fueled by military/LE customers first...

The exception to this point would be 'little guy' companies (Khar, Kel-Tec, assorted M1911 custom-shops, etc) who deal PRIMARILY with individual customers...
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So much for perfection!

I just love misinformation.  I use to be misinformed about glocks but I didn't just go around saying "They'll all explode!  They're all time bombs with a trigger!  Hahaha!  I own an XD now!"  If you run shit reloads through ANY gun it can KB!  If you get GREEDY with SHIT RELOADS ANY gun can KB!  99.9% of glock KB!'s occur with reloads.  Most of those are +P loads in cheap and weakened cases.  Do you run factory ammo through your XD or do you reload shit ammo with magnum loads?  Yeah...that's what I thought.

No matter how much you dislike glock or think that some are crap or all are crap, the fact still remains that a lot more people own glocks than most any other handgun and they have had plenty of time in the field and made lots of improvements and for the ones that people take decent care of and don't put shit ammo in them, they have a proven record of reliability.

Oh, here's another interesting fact.  There has no been one single documented or reported incident of a 9mm Glock KBing.

Try and avoid looking like an asshat and do some research before you go spouting something that makes you look dumb.

Am I the only one that has seen Bigbore's Torture Test?!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never owned a revolver huh?  

I think Dave_A is just explaining how an institution may view Glocks; not making a claim that Glocks are unsafe.

+1

If you don't think the drop safeties are "enough" then why don't all of us glock owners just unload the damn thing, put a chamber lock through it, then maybe lock it in a briefcase and carry it around like that.  There is STILL a chance that the briefcase could fly open and the glock and a loaded magazine could fly out, the glock could hit the ground and break the lock off and the magazine could seat all the way in the magwell and the trigger could snag on a tree branch!  

An institution, maybe not the right place for the weapon but that has a lot of factors going into it and I couldn't say for sure.  Everyday regular carry or self-defense?  If you follow the rules of firearm safety, how could you have a problem?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So much for perfection!

Huh.  Were you born retarded or did you suffer a traumatic head injury?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
"If a loaded Glock makes you uncomfortable to the point where you think it isn't safe enough, you have no business being around any firearm."

Not true.  I can't throw a glock in my glovebox, backpack, under my seat, or in my pocket to run out and get the mail.  

Glocks are perfectly safe if used as designed: carried in a full holster on a belt (i.e. how police officers carry them).

"I become tempted to ask them what they think about Beretta Elite's, Sigs, CZ's, and other DA autos with decockers. Most of them have no problem with those, which is why it makes me wonder why people have problems with Glocks."

Much lighter trigger pull.  Carrying a glock is the same (trigger weight wise) as having a 1911 carrided cocked without the safety on, with a longer trigger pull though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top