User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally a term for one’s “Sunday best” sidearm worn to social events in the Old West, the BBQ gun is something special.

While such guns were often embellished with exotic grips, jewels, and inlays, they were still very much functional if needed– a key point of contention. Besides these guns that only occasionally saw the light of day, many solid professionals of the era chose to carry ornamented guns every day that made a bold statement without even having to be “skinned” from the holster.

This practice even carried on well into the 20th Century with iconic lawmen. For instance, Texas Ranger Capt. Tom Hickman carried a pair of special-order Colt Single Action Armies complete with ruby inlays on carved ivory grips during the Prohibition era. Speaking of special-order Colts, no less a person than Gen. George S. Patton picked up a Colt SAA in El Paso while a young cavalry officer on the border– complete with engravings and ivory grips with a Volant eagle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a lot of nice pieces in this thread and I'm not typically a "bling/BBQ" gun type of person.

However, I'd like to add to the CZ count in this thread.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Best I've got handy thats unique.

Attachment Attached File

On the term bbq gun.  Ive always read that the Texas governor puts on a yearly bbq in Austin for the rangers and dps troopers, and that is when the tooled leather and fancy guns come out

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just this
20140914_094019 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140921_222918 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you have you's bobbed or was that a factory option?

@jmreagan
View Quote

I bought her this way 2nd hand at a GunBroker listing... The Original Owner stated that he never shot her but this was one of his dream guns but hated to sell her... He had her bob'd at Springfield Armory as a custom job back when SA was performing such work in their/when there was a Custom Shop when ordering. Along with the nice piece came a "Build-Sheet" from Springfield stating the work performed. I still have it if you would like a pic of it as I keep it along with all boxes/docs etc... I was impressed at the accuracy of the description from the original owner as she didn't appear to have been shot by anyone outside of the factory and the work was impeccable... that along with the letter from Springfield and I was a happy camper. The date on the letter was 2010' I believe from recall. It's upstairs in the safe as well. I think the Springfield Custom Shop stopped operating sometime around 2012 I believe it was from memory so that makes this piece a little more special to me. Thanks for asking and let me know anything else you have questions about!

Best regards,
Reagan
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When you guys carry a barbie gun, is it loaded or is just for show?
View Quote

Fuck yeah it's "Loaded" with one in the pipe, safety on... Is there any other "real way" to carry?
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess I don't own a BBQ gun, but if I am smoking pork in a BBQ pit and I happen to be carrying a Glock 19 while working the pit, does that qualify it as being a BBQ gun?
View Quote

It'll count!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok WTH is a bbq gun?

I'm sure I have one if I knew what the heck it was.

View Quote

Anyone who's been here longer than a day or has minimal grasp of the internet knows or can figure it out. There have been multiple threads in Tech and GD.

You're just being obtuse.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I bought her this way 2nd hand at a GunBroker listing... The Original Owner stated that he never shot her but this was one of his dream guns but hated to sell her... He had her bob'd at Springfield Armory as a custom job back when SA was performing such work in their/when there was a Custom Shop when ordering. Along with the nice piece came a "Build-Sheet" from Springfield stating the work performed. I still have it if you would like a pic of it as I keep it along with all boxes/docs etc... I was impressed at the accuracy of the description from the original owner as she didn't appear to have been shot by anyone outside of the factory and the work was impeccable... that along with the letter from Springfield and I was a happy camper. The date on the letter was 2010' I believe from recall. It's upstairs in the safe as well. I think the Springfield Custom Shop stopped operating sometime around 2012 I believe it was from memory so that makes this piece a little more special to me. Thanks for asking and let me know anything else you have questions about!

Best regards,
Reagan
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you have you's bobbed or was that a factory option?

@jmreagan

Best regards,
Reagan

Thanks, great story to go with your gun. It's nice that someone went to the work of having the gun done in a reputable shop with all the documentation.

I wish I still had the documentation on by Davis "Smolt."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top