Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 629 classic that I really like other than the lock. I also have two 29s. One is 8inch nickel.  I have a Taurus that’s a knock off smith and surprisingly decent. Plenty good to take deer hunting and leave the expensive stuff at home.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If I was gonna own a 44 mag at all it'd be a 7.5" Vaquero.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Model 29 mountain gun with Hodgdon grips for the win. Took them off and tried walnut grips. Not so much fun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think I'm going to end up buying a Ruger, just so that I can get the itch to try those ridiculous loads out.
View Quote
To be clear, they hurt.

Definitely not going to be shooting a bear if I have any other option
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Super Blackhawk.  You're really not going to be doing a lot of double action shooting with full house 44 mags.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My super redhawk w/ 7" barrel hurt when shooting hot loads.  Trigger guard would bash my middle finger no matter how firmly I held it.  Look for a Bisley Blackhawk.  Bisley grip is a lot better with heavy recoil.

While your trying to decide what to get you should look at the 45 colt caliber which provides more energy at lower pressure.  There are Ruger only loads for 45 colt.  Can get a matching 45 colt lever gun too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would anyone own only "one" .44 mag??

If they did it should be a 4" revolver of their choice imo.

.45 Colt is also a big bore hard hitter as has already been said but everbody needs at least "two" .44 mags : ) if they have no .45 Colts, and probably even if they do.

OP pick the one that "speaks" to you and your intended use and burn powder, launch lead and be happily.

You can always get something different if you decide that.

ETA: I say that as a man with a limited budget for personal firearms as I have a shooting Wife/Chic and 4 kids that shoot so I'm supplying a lot of guns and gear and ammo to others : )
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Model 29

Only one word to describe the trigger:
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My only 44 magnum is my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" in my avatar. I don't plan on buying another one anytime soon.

I like it because it can easily handle hot heavy handloads.

It's a beast of a gun but it does everything I want a 44 magnum to do.

I don't think you can go wrong with Ruger or S&W.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My only 44 magnum is my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" in my avatar. I don't plan on buying another one anytime soon.

I like it because it can easily handle hot heavy handloads.

It's a beast of a gun but it does everything I want a 44 magnum to do.

I don't think you can go wrong with Ruger or S&W.
View Quote
That is also my one and only
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
This one!

https://youtu.be/SVa0twsyKbU
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
have the same and its a freaking great gun

only other 44 is a 4" 629

had a Super Blackhawk once, didn't do a thing for me.

Quoted:
I have many 44 mag guns. This one is pretty awesome

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-629-stealth-hunter
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
S&W Model 69 combat magnum with 4 ¼ inch barrel.  
5 shot medium frame.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like my Ruger Super Blackhawk.
View Quote
I'm in the market for a unmolested 3 screw
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Come to reiterate and think it all over... If I'd have to do all over again with my .44's... It would be with the 3" barreled M29-3 Lew Horton, the M24-3 Lew Horton, and my M629-5 Mountain Back Packers... I recently bought a 6.5" DX in .44mag and it's one of the dumbest gun purchases I've ever bought, good for nothing but competition silhouette shooting. You can't carry it on your person discretely worth a fuck unlike I do very much so the 3" .44's aforementioned. The "DX" points like shit and I'm selling it as I was doing better than alright at 100 yards shooting silhouettes with the 3" .44 guns. And shooting the shorties helped me shoot faster at true combat and bad breath distances training with the 3" guns at 100 yards. YMMV...

Here they are...

The 3" M29 and M629 I've carried for a couple years...
https://i.imgur.com/B2daELY.jpg
The 3" M24 in .44Special (my favorite carry .44 by far)
https://i.imgur.com/n4IaN3O.jpg
The dumb-ass purchase... M629-3 "DX" 6.5" that points like a cactus and handles like a retarded 80's Atari joy-stick...
https://i.imgur.com/NJEZMXQ.jpg
View Quote
How often do you carry the .44? If you EDC it, I am impressed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come to reiterate and think it all over... If I'd have to do all over again with my .44's... It would be with the 3" barreled M29-3 Lew Horton, the M24-3 Lew Horton, and my M629-5 Mountain Back Packers... I recently bought a 6.5" DX in .44mag and it's one of the dumbest gun purchases I've ever bought, good for nothing but competition silhouette shooting. You can't carry it on your person discretely worth a fuck unlike I do very much so the 3" .44's aforementioned. The "DX" points like shit and I'm selling it as I was doing better than alright at 100 yards shooting silhouettes with the 3" .44 guns. And shooting the shorties helped me shoot faster at true combat and bad breath distances training with the 3" guns at 100 yards. YMMV...

Here they are...

The dumb-ass purchase... M629-3 "DX" 6.5" that points like a cactus and handles like a retarded 80's Atari joy-stick...
He does. I carried my 4" Redhawk in .45 every day for a year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice. I thought you were carrying a model 66?

I nearly bought a 3” 29 to carry, but the guy backed out. I was looking at a 325TR, as well; the TR was just under an inch longer than what I currently carrying, and a few ounces lighter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I nearly bought a 3” 29 to carry, but the guy backed out. I was looking at a 325TR, as well; the TR was just under an inch longer than what I currently carrying, and a few ounces lighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am currently. The Redhawk was about 13 years ago. I was living on a farm and spending a couple months at a time up in VT or ME in the woods.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Love my pre-lock 629 Classic DX but don’t shoot it real well any more due to my aging eyes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#24]
My submission. A SBH and a 69 Combat Magnum. I also have a 44 magnum barrel for my Contender.

Arthritis has taken its toll on me, I need to reload some pussy cat loads for these, so I can shoot them more.

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Either a S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum or a 329PD
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Either a S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum or a 329PD
View Quote
Those 329PDs are good guns to carry alot and shoot very little. Shooting one with hot stoked 300-320gr loads is downright painful....and that is coming from a guy with a 480 Ruger and a 500 JRH.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
If you need to launch top end .44's, a single action (Ruger) is imo the most compact, lightest, easiest to tote option. But you need to live with the reload speed issue and manual cocking. If those are no problem in your world then that SA is the answer because you cannot break them in a lifetime of launching hard just due to strength issues at wear points.
I shoot my 329 a lot but not of course with Ruger only loads. If I wanted that level of horsepower I would just go to 454 Casull and swamp any .44RM load. But then you are into a gun that weighs considerably more (in a double action), while delivering considerably more. In Single Action you can tote MAJOR horsepower with little weigh/size penalty.
My take is that we choose the level of power we can live with, then choose among the available guns that will deliver that power in a package we are willing to carry/use. It's a journey, your first choice might not be your ultimate solution but it will progress you toward it. And every step is fun, plus enlightening.
And, final is never final in gun world
A lot of heavy work is done with medium weight .44/.45 projectiles in the 1000-1200 fps range, so there is that.
454 Casull will far surpass .44RM horsepower levels when needed. .460, .480, .500, the Linebaugh rounds........ they are out there if you want them.
My solution for the time being, is at a 329 with standard velocity 240 grain XTP's. And they shoot good in my 6 LB little rucksack carbine, that matters to me.
Maybe next year it will be different
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Those 329PDs are good guns to carry alot and shoot very little. Shooting one with hot stoked 300-320gr loads is downright painful....and that is coming from a guy with a 480 Ruger and a 500 JRH.
View Quote
They’re not terrible. I mean you’re not putting a couple hundred rounds through one in a range session, but they could be worse.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I owned a S&W model 29 6" .44 magnum in the past and I didn't like the recoil. I bought this used S&W model 657 .41 magnum with 4" barrel and the recoil is stout with full power .41 magnum rounds, but, not as abusive as the .44 magnum recoil. I'd really recommend you look for and get one. I changed out the original Goncala Alves checkered grips with these smooth Pau Ferro Hogue grips. The smooth wood feels much better in my hands and I've found that checkered grips are not only uncomfortable, but, unnecessary, as I have no problem holding on to this pistol firing full power magnum rounds.

" />
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I saved up my pennies and bought a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Then I sent it to Bowen Classic Arms to have a 4.2 inch colt Anaconda barrel to be put on it and a full tune up.  Should be back in the next week or so. Can’t freaking wait.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll start off by saying that I love 44...but I'm still struggling to find my way with it. It seems that with the round, I keep tripping all over my own shoelaces with it.

Years ago, I had a 7.5" Super Redhawk...I used it as a fun range blaster and little else. Eventually, I found it to be overkill so I traded it off.

In 2018, I got the "itch" again so this time I bought a 4" 629. I began reloading 44 mag/spcl in Feb of this year. Ill admit that no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get good with the thing. I didn't like the recoil of magnum rounds in that frame and by that, I don't mean I found them painful, I just found myself flinching when I shot it often shanked shots. Eventually I just started shooting 44 spcl only through it. Because of this, I traded it on another 7.5" Super Redhawk last summer. What good is a 44 magnum you don't shoot magnum loads through?

The S.Redhawk has proven to be a good bench shooter. I reload fairly hot magnum loads and use it for that purpose only. Specials almost feel silly in the thing...

What I really want now is a GP100 in 44 special...
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I saved up my pennies and bought a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Then I sent it to Bowen Classic Arms to have a 4.2 inch colt Anaconda barrel to be put on it and a full tune up.  Should be back in the next week or so. Can’t freaking wait.
View Quote
Don’t forget to post pics for us to drool over.  That will be an instant family heirloom.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
@binthere

I love that conversion. I keep saying I'm gonna do it, but immediate gratification and all... If you don't mind PM me details. At the very least, give me a heads up when you get it back and post pics!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#34]
This is my only .44 magnum revolver (for now).  It's a S&W 629 V-Comp and it is soooo nice to shoot.  It does have the lock but that was unavoidable.  The trigger on this revolver is just sweet in double action and incredible in single action.  If there's a downfall it's just that because it's a S&W I can't shoot anything but standard 240 grain loads.  Those are no slouch of course.  I was told by the guy at S&W that the standard factory boxed 305 grain loads were ok if used very seldomly but they recommend not shooting them at all.  I've heard these guns can handle it with no problem but who do you believe.  I can't afford to replace it so I stick with regular old 240 grainers.  If I needed an every day bear defense gun I'd get a Redhawk with the 4.2" barrel.

What I REALLY want is the .44 magnum version of this gun...

This is my .45 Colt/acp Blackhawk.  I've been waiting for years but still nothing from Ruger   A stainless Super Blackhawk Bisley in .44 magnum with the round trigger guard in 4.62" and 5.5" would be awesome!!  They gave us the hunter version and the blued versions but I need the stainless!!!  It's not that hard Ruger....just basically make this gun in .44 magnum!  I'd have to sell a kidney if they offered it but I've got two so that's ok.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is my only .44 magnum revolver (for now).  It's a S&W 629 V-Comp and it is soooo nice to shoot.  It does have the lock but that was unavoidable.  The trigger on this revolver is just sweet in double action and incredible in single action.  If there's a downfall it's just that because it's a S&W I can't shoot anything but standard 240 grain loads.  Those are no slouch of course.  I was told by the guy at S&W that the standard factory boxed 305 grain loads were ok if used very seldomly but they recommend not shooting them at all.  I've heard these guns can handle it with no problem but who do you believe.  I can't afford to replace it so I stick with regular old 240 grainers.  If I needed an every day bear defense gun I'd get a Redhawk with the 4.2" barrel.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4295/35882666040_4657ba4eba_c.jpg

What I REALLY want is the .44 magnum version of this gun...

https://live.staticflickr.com/4326/35422323234_37b3b53d38_k.jpg

This is my .45 Colt/acp Blackhawk.  I've been waiting for years but still nothing from Ruger   A stainless Super Blackhawk Bisley in .44 magnum with the round trigger guard in 4.62" and 5.5" would be awesome!!  They gave us the hunter version and the blued versions but I need the stainless!!!  It's not that hard Ruger....just basically make this gun in .44 magnum!  I'd have to sell a kidney if they offered it but I've got two so that's ok.
View Quote
Nice! I've got that same 45/45acp Ruger and a .44 Blackhawk but with the 3.5 barrel
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here they are...

For when in Highlands NC at the family Mountain Home where we split time... Yes, it's EDC... For when in the burbs in Atlanta... Its this baby... My Model 24-3 Lew Horton Special stoked with 200 grain "Flying Ashtrays"... I've also carried it in the woods with Underwoods heavy Hard Cast "Keith" Pills!

My favorite (2) .44's... Blued .44Special and Stainless .44Maggie... I've put more 305's thru this M629-5 than I should have popping silhouettes. And she's just as tight as the day I brought her home. The M24-3 has had her share of 255grain Underwood "Keith's" and shares the same Lock-Up tightness as the M629. These vintage Smiths will take care of you if you take care of them and don't try to go nuclear on the loads. I just got 3 boxes of the 190 grain HP's rated @ 1150fps that I've got to try...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here they are...

Thanks 03RN! I've been out of town and the loop for a while! I'm back in town now. You still carrying that bad ass .45Super in the carry rotation still?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here is my 44mag. Started off as a Super Redhawk Alaskan. Had the Bowen GP44 conversion done with a Colt Anaconda barrel. Altamont snake grips on it now but also have the ugly Hogue grip if the heavy loads are a bit too much. Just came in today.

@Warhawk
@BillythePoet
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A 629-3 or -4 with a 5” barrel.
View Quote
Buy this man a beer, he knows of which he speaks!  5" barrel is the sweet spot for S&W Magnums.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#40]
This is the one I have, but I don't recommend it.  It's fun, but a beast.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263143/CD43D5B2-25AB-4B2C-817C-E57EA1213181_jpeg-1234327.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263143/4783096C-E983-4C4D-B71A-3D6D3AE29820_jpeg-1234334.JPG

Here is my 44mag. Started off as a Super Redhawk Alaskan. Had the Bowen GP44 conversion done with a Colt Anaconda barrel. Altamont snake grips on it now but also have the ugly Hogue grip if the heavy loads are a bit too much. Just came in today.

@Warhawk
@BillythePoet
View Quote
That looks badass man! Worth the wait for sure. I'm excited to hear about how she shoots.

How is the trigger?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263143/CD43D5B2-25AB-4B2C-817C-E57EA1213181_jpeg-1234327.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263143/4783096C-E983-4C4D-B71A-3D6D3AE29820_jpeg-1234334.JPG

@Warhawk
@BillythePoet
View Quote
Outstanding!  I might be willing to sell enough of my Smiths to afford one of those.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That looks badass man! Worth the wait for sure. I'm excited to hear about how she shoots.

How is the trigger?
View Quote
Well, I’ve not had a lot of experience with revolvers but the trigger feels comparable to the colt Anaconda I have that used to be my grandfathers. It feels very smooth. Crisp break in single action and a smooth pull in double action. Super happy with it. Hopefully able to get out to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Outstanding!  I might be willing to sell enough of my Smiths to afford one of those.
View Quote
Ha, now I want a Bowen GP100 with a python barrel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well, I’ve not had a lot of experience with revolvers but the trigger feels comparable to the colt Anaconda I have that used to be my grandfathers. It feels very smooth. Crisp break in single action and a smooth pull in double action. Super happy with it. Hopefully able to get out to the range this weekend.
View Quote
I really want him to build me a DA .45 Colt. I'm just scared to call and get ideas and pricing, because there ain't no brakes on that train, lol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I own 4.  Taurus, SW 29, Ruger Super Redhawk, and Ruger Redhawk.

The one I carry "in the woods" is the 4" Redhawk, using Garrett cartridges.  If I had to own just one, it would be that Redhawk.  I really should get around to selling or trading the others.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Ruger .44 carbine

And I don’t generally like Rugers.  Just bought a second one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a Redhwak and recently got a Super Blackhawk. Much prefer the Blackhawk. One revolver to rule them all - single action Blackhawk.

Put some pretty hot loads through it a week or two ago. Shot great and recoil manageable.

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a Redhwak and recently got a Super Blackhawk. Much prefer the Blackhawk. One revolver to rule them all - single action Blackhawk.

Put some pretty hot loads through it a week or two ago. Shot great and recoil manageable.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48213527036_89af207306_k.jpg
View Quote
Nice! I love my old .44 Mag Vaquero, but my eyes don't like the fixed sights as much as they used to. It might be time to buy a Blackhawk.

If I could only have one .44? That might be one of my lever actions. Thankfully I do not need to make that choice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Warhawk
@BillythePoet
View Quote
Wow, that is gorgeous!  I am so jealous!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top