Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going down this frigging rabbit hole now.  I've got a Gen 3 Vickers G17.  I would get maybe 1 BTF per 50 rounds when new.  Frequency is increasing to about 4 BTF per 50 rounds now that I have 1,600 rounds thru it.  I don't mind a high arcing casing falling on my melon.  This involves high speed casings coming at my forehead and eyes.  Off to check my ejector number.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that would be no fun.  

Must be your grip though.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
My gen 4 19 isn't doing it anymore now that it's broke in. Still shoots left Going to try different ammo now that I'm almost out and need to purchase some. Last week at the range I shot my buddies 23 and my 19 back to back. His is dead on so it's not me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a new 17 Gen 4 recently and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. It is an early 2015 model just like my other one. They were both test fired in April of 2015. For the first few mags, the empties were coming out of the gun about 6 inches out and at a very low arc. After a couple hundred rounds things were better, but very erratic. No BTF, though.

I went again today and put 300 more rounds through it. Ejection is decent, but erratic. On the last round of a few mags, the brass flew straight back over my head at high speed.

The other gun of similar vintage is not as erratic. As stated previously, it's the gun and not the shooter. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On the last round of a few mags, the brass flew straight back over my head at high speed.
View Quote
Not to get OT, but the above statement reminded me of my Russian Saiga AK47 in 7.62X39 (with the tactical conversion). I fired it a couple of weeks ago and the ejection of the spent cartridge was so strong, and with such velocity, if someone were standing in the ejection path and hit with a spent cartridge, it would likely cause injury. I estimate it was ejecting the spent cartridge 10 to 15 feet away at a high velocity. 

The 30274 ejectors I installed on my Gen-3 Glock 19s have improved the ejection pattern, but nothing like the Saiga! Of course, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges... :-)   
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to get OT, but the above statement reminded me of my Russian Saiga AK47 in 7.62X39 (with the tactical conversion). I fired it a couple of weeks ago and the ejection of the spent cartridge was so strong, and with such velocity, if someone were standing in the ejection path and hit with a spent cartridge, it would likely cause injury. I estimate it was ejecting the spent cartridge 10 to 15 feet away at a high velocity. 

The 30274 ejectors I installed on my Gen-3 Glock 19s have improved the ejection pattern, but nothing like the Saiga! Of course, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges... :-)   
View Quote
I had a Browning Hi Power that ejected very strong and very far. Very consistent, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a Browning Hi Power that ejected very strong and very far. Very consistent, though.
View Quote
^This^ is what I prefer. I have other 9mm pistols that are not Glocks that have a strong and consistent ejection pattern, even with 115 grain practice ammo. I wonder what happened with Glock?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
no issues with my 25 yr G17 and the original extractor.

If mine is good after 25 yrs I may just leave it alone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
no issues with my 25 yr G17 and the original extractor.

If mine is good after 25 yrs I may just leave it alone.
View Quote
Good idea. I had a Gen 4 17 back in 2010 that ran well. I dropped a new extractor in just to see what would happen and immediately started getting BTF.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I haven't had this issue either.
View Quote
Yep. Never.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Update.  My Vickers G17 that exhibited increasing BTF frequency appears to be fixed.  Swapped out the 336 ejector to a 30274 and fired 100 rounds, with consistent 5 o'clock ejection.  No more brass to the forehead, glasses, or left of the gun.  Hopefully this will be a permanent fix.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

^This^ is what I prefer. I have other 9mm pistols that are not Glocks that have a strong and consistent ejection pattern, even with 115 grain practice ammo. I wonder what happened with Glock?
View Quote
Nothing happened.  They've always barely worked.  People just know about it now.

My first BTF gun was a Gen2 17.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a new 17 Gen 4 recently and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. It is an early 2015 model just like my other one. They were both test fired in April of 2015. For the first few mags, the empties were coming out of the gun about 6 inches out and at a very low arc. After a couple hundred rounds things were better, but very erratic. No BTF, though.

I went again today and put 300 more rounds through it. Ejection is decent, but erratic. On the last round of a few mags, the brass flew straight back over my head at high speed.

The other gun of similar vintage is not as erratic. As stated previously, it's the gun and not the shooter. 
View Quote
While far from being a Glock expert, I would expect the BTF frequency to increase based on my periodic reading about the subject over the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I own 15 none of mine do it.
View Quote
Same here but I am LH. So I have that going for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of mine do..some don't.  It doesn't bother me much, but then again I've never been unlucky enough to get burnt by hot brass.  My wife, however, is scarred from her gen3 26 sending brass into her bra.  

I have a PPQ that occasionally throws brass to the left somehow.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top