User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.  Looks like it is going to a gunsmith at some point.  I suppose I already knew that. I have the 9mm and some other stuff for home defense. Plus it is still a great gun for target shooting with the FMJ's.

Thanks again.

Ummmm you apparently are ashamed of your gun since you will not say what make and model it is. If you are to shy to take it out when it is needed, then it really does not matter what round you use.

Based on the original post, I'd say 1911.  But, really expensive, or really cheap?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
not anecdotes - facts/history

It works.

Or not.  45acp FMJ isn't listed as an effective SD round here:  ammo recommendations
They are all JHP's with good reason.  These reasons become clear as you research the topic.  
Facts and history, selectively quoted, are anecdotes and have little to do with the science of terminal ballistics.  
History would only be conclusive if you could demonstrate a position statistically.
Marshall and Sanow tried and failed (with some made up data thrown in for good measure).  There are better methods now that have been established over more than a decade of research.

So are you saying that FMJ is an ineffective fight stopper because there's no links to a website that says otherwise?

First off, all handgun rounds are ineffective "fight stoppers".  The whole "fight stopper" concept comes from made up data and gun magazine marketing.

Next, there is a body of research that is reflected in many places on the web because that's where we find research nowadays.  It has been nicely summarized in the ammo section of this board and is a very accessible version of this data.  I suggest you become familiar with the science if you are interested in the topic since you apparently have not done much reading on this topic.  You might also look into why Marshal and Sanow and their 'One Shot Stop' baloney was discredited.

In conclusion, the .45 acp FMJ is not a good choice for SD ammo.  Any number of JHP's in calibers .38 special and up are better.  That's not my opinion.  I didn't hear it from the other guys or my grandpa.  It's the result of real research started by the FBI and carried on by others.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.  Looks like it is going to a gunsmith at some point.  I suppose I already knew that. I have the 9mm and some other stuff for home defense. Plus it is still a great gun for target shooting with the FMJ's.

Thanks again.

Ummmm you apparently are ashamed of your gun since you will not say what make and model it is. If you are to shy to take it out when it is needed, then it really does not matter what round you use.

Based on the original post, I'd say 1911.  But, really expensive, or really cheap?

I assume that is what he meant by .45, but tere are a lot of 1911s out there these days.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It works.

Or not.  45acp FMJ isn't listed as an effective SD round here:  ammo recommendations

They are all JHP's with good reason.  These reasons become clear as you research the topic.  

Facts and history, selectively quoted, are anecdotes and have little to do with the science of terminal ballistics.  

History would only be conclusive if you could demonstrate a position statistically.

Marshall and Sanow tried and failed (with some made up data thrown in for good measure).  There are better methods now that have been established over more than a decade of research.

So are you saying that FMJ is an ineffective fight stopper because there's no links to a website that says otherwise?

First off, all handgun rounds are ineffective "fight stoppers".  The whole "fight stopper" concept comes from made up data and gun magazine marketing.

Next, there is a body of research that is reflected in many places on the web because that's where we find research nowadays.  It has been nicely summarized in the ammo section of this board and is a very accessible version of this data.  I suggest you become familiar with the science if you are interested in the topic since you apparently have not done much reading on this topic.  You might also look into why Marshal and Sanow and their 'One Shot Stop' baloney was discredited.
In conclusion, the .45 acp FMJ is not a good choice for SD ammo.  Any number of JHP's in calibers .38 special and up are better.  That's not my opinion.  I didn't hear it from the other guys or my grandpa.  It's the result of real research started by the FBI and carried on by others.  

Ahh you're one of those "You don't agree with me, so you don't know what you're talking about" guys!
That typically leads to MUCH more interesting conversations.

I've read a lot of the Doc GkR stuff, in fact I do believe I read a lot of it before it was complied and put of ARFCOM.  I read a TON of the FAS stuff as well, before it was complied on your link ( lot of that stuff is WAY outdated though).  As well as the coroner page where a dude talks about effects he's seen.  I've poured over the FBI wounding report, so on and so forth and down the line.

I've also watch people get the piss shot out of them day in and day out for seven months, and became pretty familiar with GSW's.  For instance, you can tell a CNS hit from a miss based on if a bad guy falls like a marionette with the strings cut, or if they sort of stagger to the ground with a "why is this hole in me and my stomach hurts" look.
But yea, everything I ever need to know must be on your one link, which happens to be a short summery for people to be refereed to when they ask basic questions in the forum.
Adequate penetration and CNS hits are key to quickly stopping an aggressor, and MANY of the references you made support that.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Search for Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).  From the Ammo FAQ, it is not as good as a true hollowpoint, but it would be better than a FMJ.  May or may not resolve your feeding issues, but worth a try.

It's definately better option than ball ammo for carry.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Remember each round has a lawsuit attached to it.   Yeah FMJ is good for self defense but I'd make damn sure that bullet isn't going to come out the other side and hit someone else

Bullshit scare tactic from the 80's to scare people into believing that JHP's are a legal necessity.  More likely to hit a bystander with a miss.  

If there's anyone who has studied shootings, both LE and non-LE, it's Massad Ayoob, and he has published a lot of incidents where FMJ rounds, especially in 9mm and .45acp (probably because they are most common) have over penetrated and hit either fellow officers or innocent bystanders.

It would not cost much to have a competent gunsmith polish or ramp the barrel to make it reliable with JHP's.  I had a Colt 1991A1 that would feed nothing but ball ammo until I polished the feed ramp.  It would feed anything after that.

I really wish I could find it, but years ago I ran across and article online where one of the Police chiefs admitted that they overhyped the threat based on a handful of incidents to allow them the use of hollow points, when HP's at the time had a negative stigma.

"A lot of incidences" is not a number.  There's a lot of instances where JHP's fail and act like FMJ, there's lots of instances of misses hitting bystanders as well.

It doesn't matter what round you use, a miss can hit a bystander.
Yep.

I really don't get where you are going with that one.
I thought I spoke rather plainly, that I feel the over penetration issue is over-hyped.
OK, but if you miss and hit a bystander, any bullet will do that.  But, if you use a JHP that stops inside your intended target instead of passing through, you are reducing the number of rounds going someplace other than your target.  There could be innocent bystanders behind your intended target that you cannot see, and a bullet passing right through can strike them.  

And sure, some barriers, like heavy clothing, can cause a HP to clog up and "act" like a FMJ.  No bullet is perfect.  
Yup.

But a good JHP bullet will usually transfer all its energy and stop inside the individual you are forced to stop.
Ahhh, the old "energy dump" theory.  It's been pretty well debunked over the years.
And you feel that just as much energy is transferred by a FMJ that zips through your target making a pinhole as a JHP that stops inside your intended target?  That makes absolutely no sense.  "Pretty well debunked over the years"?  Where?

If it does stop inside the intended target, it eliminates the possibility of overpenetration and hitting a bystander.
It also ups the chances of UNDER penetration, and not stopping the person you thought it was important to shoot.
Not if you choose a well designed modern JHP design in the correct bullet weight for the caliber.  Technology has advanced far beyond the early HP designs, which caused the outdated arguements you are making.  We've done extensive ballistic gel demonstrations with the LE distributor I work for using just about every JHP design on the market today and the testing always begins with a FMJ round to show the agencies present the difference.  Ball ammo makes a pinhole and usually comes right out the other side, JHP's bounce the gel around making a large wound cavity and usually stop inside the gel with adequate penetration, as long as it's a caliber of 9mm and above, in the correct weight for the caliber and of modern design.

Will it always stop and not overpenetrate?  No.  But if you can reduce the possibility of an innocent getting injured or killed, it makes no sense to use a round known for overpenetration.
ANY round can over penetrate, that's why knowing your background is more important.  I pick ammo for self defense based on the ability to penetrate and STOP bad guys, not for the after effect.
The ability to penetrate, as discussed above, can be adressed by choosing a JHP of the proper weight and velocity for the caliber.  Choosing a bullet to "stop" the "bad guy" has a lot more to do with trauma than making a lot of pinholes through your intended target.  Amadou Diallo ring any bells?  And, not being able to see all your backstop directly behind your intended target has already been adressed above, too.  Sure, shot placement is the most important factor, but unless you are a lot better than me, I can't guarantee a shot in the Medulla Oblongata on a moving target that's trying to kill me under stress every time.  I'm impressed if you can.

Under some situations, even misses can be less dangerous to bystanders by using a JHP over a FMJ round.  JHP's deform more and ricochet less than ball ammo.  
This is true, but has nothing to do with over penetration, the topic at hand.
Umm...if overpenetration is the topic at hand, why do you keep bringing up the fact that misses are more of an issue than overpenetration?  I'm just adressing a topic you brought up.

I'm not saying there's any magic JHP handgun bullet, but JHP's are more effective, not even arguable more effective, they are more effective.
They are more effective over time, but of equal effectiveness to FMJ in the concern of CNS hits, which is the quickest stop available.
Again, as mentioned above, if you can guarantee a CNS hit every time at any distance in any light condition, while possibly injured, under stress while your intended target is shooting back at you, you are the best shot I've ever heard of.  If you can't do that, I'd recommend a bullet design which will expand, cause a larger wound cavity, with sharp edges which will sever blood vessels instead of causing a temporary would channel in human tissue which acts very much like elastic, expanding, stretching and returning to shape not causing as much blood loss.

So, why be handicapped like the military is with the Hague Convention and use ball ammo?
Because it's cheap and it works.
Because it's cheap?  Really?  You will skimp on literally pennies per round on the ammo you are depending on to save your life and the lives of your loved ones?  And "it works"?  I've already adressed that.

I've heard every argument you've made, in every FMJ vs. JHP for carry argument I've ever posted on on 3-4 different sites.

NOTHING new ever comes up.  It's the same re-hashed argument over and over again.
Because they are valid facts.  The only thing "new" about them is the technology of JHP design advancing and becoming more reliable and effective.  All of your arguements against JHP's are very outdated.  They were all valid during the development of the first JHP's which rarely expanded relaibly, did not feed well in just about any semi-auto handgun design due to their shape and did not penetrate deep enough to reliably stop an attacker.  Modern JHP designs with bonded jackets with advanced propellents which will generate the necessary velocities for a balance of expansion and penetration makes your argements incorrect.  15, or maybe even 10 years ago, I would agree with you, but not anymore.

FMJ works, cycles reliably in a wider range of handguns, provides barrier penetration, and penetrates deeply, which translates to the ability with many rounds to makes cns hits though many layers of clothing and appendages, beyond what typical modern JHP's can achieve.

The funny thing is, every time I write any of that people assume I advocate carrying FMJ instead of JHP (and I even mention it like I do now) but when pressed can't point out the fact I did. That's because all I am doing is pointing out the facts.
Which one of your incorrect "facts" is "the fact" you are referring to?  That CNS hits stop a fight instantly?  Obviously, but as stated above, you can't guarantee a CNS hit every time.

The truth is, I believe that the hype and gun rag BS over JHP's SEVERELY crippled defensive ammo.  (JHP's where originally designed to STOP over penetration, which led to under penetration, not stop "better") That started the  "Faster is better" JHP craze, when it was found that jhp's under penetrated, and people got killed from failing to stop badguys (which probably happened WAY MORE than FMJ's passing through and hurting innocents) the result was slowed down velocities, followed by better JHP construction.
Agreed.  JHP design has advanced so they expand more reliably and manufacturers did address the velocity issues.

IMHO, when the fast calibers came out, 9x23, 10mm, 9mm +P+, .357 Sig, they would have been MUCH better served by modern construction, but in a jacketed soft nose bullet.  That harkens back to the .357 mag being known as a game ender for badguys, .357 softpoints going like hell on wheels.  It's also why the .357 SIG has not gained the same notoriety even though it should theoretically be just as good.

You should look into the data of actual LE and non-LE shootings collected.  By mentioning the .357 magnum as being known as the "game ender for bad guys", you must be somewhat familiar with it.  You have the caliber correct, but it's not the .357 magnum JSP that is "the" undisputed most effective self-defense round.  It's the .357 magnum 125gr JHP moving at 1450fps manufactured by either Federal or Remington which is "the" undisputed most effective self-defense round.  Go back and double check your data and you'll see.  It is a monster of a round that causes massive trauma using a combination of expansion and velocity.  If you have a 125gr FMJ of .38 caliber moving at 1450fps, especially with a pointed bullet design like the .45 FMJ ammo you recommend, you won't have much tissue damage, but a very nice pinhole right through your attacker.  But since every shot is a CNS hit, it doesn't matter, right?

I'm done posting in this thread, but I will continue reading.  I obviously have my opinions, which I've completely stated here, that are based on my research and the results of the ballistic gel demonstrations we've conducted at the LE distributor for LE agencies.  I know that ballistic gel is not perfect, but when comparing the results of the gel with the compiled data of real world shooting incidents, they closely match.  Seeing the difference between what is basically a caliber sized wound channel though the gel blocks caused by the FMJ rounds and a huge, severed cavity in the blocks as a result of a modern JHP of the correct weight and velocity for the caliber, causing the blocks to move back considerably, it's obvious that, even though you don't believe the "theory", a lot of energy is expended inside.

And, aside from us disagreeing on defensive rounds, I want to thank you for your service.  And I do agree that you know more about FMJ performance from your active duty and experience.  But, unless you were in violation of the Hague Convention, you have absolutely no real-world experience with the effects of JHP's.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It works.

Ahh you're one of those "You don't agree with me, so you don't know what you're talking about" guys!

That typically leads to MUCH more interesting conversations.

I've read a lot of the Doc GkR stuff, in fact I do believe I read a lot of it before it was complied and put of ARFCOM.  I read a TON of the FAS stuff as well, before it was complied on your link ( lot of that stuff is WAY outdated though).  As well as the coroner page where a dude talks about effects he's seen.  I've poured over the FBI wounding report, so on and so forth and down the line.

I've also watch people get the piss shot out of them day in and day out for seven months, and became pretty familiar with GSW's.  For instance, you can tell a CNS hit from a miss based on if a bad guy falls like a marionette with the strings cut, or if they sort of stagger to the ground with a "why is this hole in me and my stomach hurts" look.

But yea, everything I ever need to know must be on your one link, which happens to be a short summery for people to be refereed to when they ask basic questions in the forum.

Adequate penetration and CNS hits are key to quickly stopping an aggressor, and MANY of the references you made support that.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. The facts are the facts and FMJ is a poor choice.  Actually Fackler's stuff is a bit more to the point in understanding why but DocGKR will do.  You can choose to disagree with the years of research and the intense scrutiny that have been invested in terminal ballistics.  You can even say your personal experience trumps all the science.  But that won't make FMJ a good choice for SD.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Search for Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).  From the Ammo FAQ, it is not as good as a true hollowpoint, but it would be better than a FMJ.  May or may not resolve your feeding issues, but worth a try.

It's definately better option than ball ammo for carry.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember each round has a lawsuit attached to it.   Yeah FMJ is good for self defense but I'd make damn sure that bullet isn't going to come out the other side and hit someone else

Bullshit scare tactic from the 80's to scare people into believing that JHP's are a legal necessity.  More likely to hit a bystander with a miss.  

If there's anyone who has studied shootings, both LE and non-LE, it's Massad Ayoob, and he has published a lot of incidents where FMJ rounds, especially in 9mm and .45acp (probably because they are most common) have over penetrated and hit either fellow officers or innocent bystanders.

It would not cost much to have a competent gunsmith polish or ramp the barrel to make it reliable with JHP's.  I had a Colt 1991A1 that would feed nothing but ball ammo until I polished the feed ramp.  It would feed anything after that.

I really wish I could find it, but years ago I ran across and article online where one of the Police chiefs admitted that they overhyped the threat based on a handful of incidents to allow them the use of hollow points, when HP's at the time had a negative stigma.

"A lot of incidences" is not a number.  There's a lot of instances where JHP's fail and act like FMJ, there's lots of instances of misses hitting bystanders as well.

It doesn't matter what round you use, a miss can hit a bystander.

Yep.

I really don't get where you are going with that one.

I thought I spoke rather plainly, that I feel the over penetration issue is over-hyped.

OK, but if you miss and hit a bystander, any bullet will do that.  But, if you use a JHP that stops inside your intended target instead of passing through, you are reducing the number of rounds going someplace other than your target.  There could be innocent bystanders behind your intended target that you cannot see, and a bullet passing right through can strike them.  

If, if, if.  Number one thing is to stop the badguy.  Number two thing is to reduce collateral damage when doing that and that means knowing your background.  

And sure, some barriers, like heavy clothing, can cause a HP to clog up and "act" like a FMJ.  No bullet is perfect.  

Yup.

But a good JHP bullet will usually transfer all its energy and stop inside the individual you are forced to stop.

Ahhh, the old "energy dump" theory.  It's been pretty well debunked over the years.

And you feel that just as much energy is transferred by a FMJ that zips through your target making a pinhole as a JHP that stops inside your intended target?  That makes absolutely no sense.  "Pretty well debunked over the years"?  Where?

The FBI, Fackler, lots of places.  Energy dump is like saying stopping power, and hydrostatic shock.  The amount of energy (actually momentum) carried by a handgun bullet is low, and spread out over a long impulse.  

If it does stop inside the intended target, it eliminates the possibility of overpenetration and hitting a bystander.

It also ups the chances of UNDER penetration, and not stopping the person you thought it was important to shoot.

Not if you choose a well designed modern JHP design in the correct bullet weight for the caliber.  Technology has advanced far beyond the early HP designs, which caused the outdated arguements you are making.  We've done extensive ballistic gel demonstrations with the LE distributor I work for using just about every JHP design on the market today and the testing always begins with a FMJ round to show the agencies present the difference.  Ball ammo makes a pinhole and usually comes right out the other side, JHP's bounce the gel around making a large wound cavity and usually stop inside the gel with adequate penetration, as long as it's a caliber of 9mm and above, in the correct weight for the caliber and of modern design.

Look how thick peoples torso's are.  Then imagine the bullet has to go through not only that torso and hit the CNS or organs or whatever, after going through an arm.  That maximum penetration depth can quickly get taken up before hitting anything important, especially with rounds that are more towards the FBI minimum (and why the FBI recommended maximum is just under what some FMJ rounds penetrate to).

Will it always stop and not overpenetrate?  No.  But if you can reduce the possibility of an innocent getting injured or killed, it makes no sense to use a round known for overpenetration.

ANY round can over penetrate, that's why knowing your background is more important.  I pick ammo for self defense based on the ability to penetrate and STOP bad guys, not for the after effect.

The ability to penetrate, as discussed above, can be adressed by choosing a JHP of the proper weight and velocity for the caliber.  Choosing a bullet to "stop" the "bad guy" has a lot more to do with trauma than making a lot of pinholes through your intended target.  

Trauma?  Maybe if you feel like waiting around for them to bleed out.  CNS hits are the hotness when it comes to stops.

Amadou Diallo ring any bells?

Only in that it shows that NYC officers have a hard time hitting what they are aiming at (backed up by their yearly shooting statistics)
And, not being able to see all your backstop directly behind your intended target has already been adressed above, too.  Sure, shot placement is the most important factor, but unless you are a lot better than me, I can't guarantee a shot in the Medulla Oblongata on a moving target that's trying to kill me under stress every time.  I'm impressed if you can

No one can guarantee anything, that's why people practice and hope.  A lot of stopping badguys comes down to luck.

Under some situations, even misses can be less dangerous to bystanders by using a JHP over a FMJ round.  JHP's deform more and ricochet less than ball ammo.  

This is true, but has nothing to do with over penetration, the topic at hand.

Umm...if overpenetration is the topic at hand, why do you keep bringing up the fact that misses are more of an issue than overpenetration?  I'm just adressing a topic you brought up.

Because it's been shown that statistically, the vast majority of self defense shots fired end up as misses.  People always come across like every single shot fired in a gun fight is going to be a hit, hence everyone always mentions over penetration.  I bring it up because it's a fact of life.  It's alwo why I believe that knowing the background is INFINITY more important than having a bullet that will stop at a certain point in a persons body.

I'm not saying there's any magic JHP handgun bullet, but JHP's are more effective, not even arguable more effective, they are more effective.

They are more effective over time, but of equal effectiveness to FMJ in the concern of CNS hits, which is the quickest stop available.

Again, as mentioned above, if you can guarantee a CNS hit every time at any distance in any light condition, while possibly injured, under stress while your intended target is shooting back at you, you are the best shot I've ever heard of.  If you can't do that, I'd recommend a bullet design which will expand, cause a larger wound cavity, with sharp edges which will sever blood vessels instead of causing a temporary would channel in human tissue which acts very much like elastic, expanding, stretching and returning to shape not causing as much blood loss.

I'd rather just shoot till the threat stops.  Then either A, I score a CNS hit by blind luck, a physiological stop, they stop from bleeding out, or I'm out of ammo.  Not to picky what stops then.  I was talking about effectiveness over time, not shooting ability.

So, why be handicapped like the military is with the Hague Convention and use ball ammo?

Because it's cheap and it works.

Because it's cheap?  Really?  You will skimp on literally pennies per round on the ammo you are depending on to save your life and the lives of your loved ones?  And "it works"?  I've already adressed that.

Me?  You blame me for what the Government does?  Whatever dude.

I've heard every argument you've made, in every FMJ vs. JHP for carry argument I've ever posted on on 3-4 different sites.

NOTHING new ever comes up.  It's the same re-hashed argument over and over again.

Because they are valid facts.  The only thing "new" about them is the technology of JHP design advancing and becoming more reliable and effective.  All of your arguements against JHP's are very outdated.  They were all valid during the development of the first JHP's which rarely expanded relaibly, did not feed well in just about any semi-auto handgun design due to their shape and did not penetrate deep enough to reliably stop an attacker.  Modern JHP designs with bonded jackets with advanced propellents which will generate the necessary velocities for a balance of expansion and penetration makes your argements incorrect.  15, or maybe even 10 years ago, I would agree with you, but not anymore.

I meant that talking about the over-penetration of FMJ specifically when I said nothing new ever comes up.
FMJ works, cycles reliably in a wider range of handguns, provides barrier penetration, and penetrates deeply, which translates to the ability with many rounds to makes cns hits though many layers of clothing and appendages, beyond what typical modern JHP's can achieve.

The funny thing is, every time I write any of that people assume I advocate carrying FMJ instead of JHP (and I even mention it like I do now) but when pressed can't point out the fact I did. That's because all I am doing is pointing out the facts.

Which one of your incorrect "facts" is "the fact" you are referring to?  That CNS hits stop a fight instantly?  Obviously, but as stated above, you can't guarantee a CNS hit every time.

I never said CNS hits cause instant stops, I don't recall even saying they are guaranteed.  I said they are the fastest.

The truth is, I believe that the hype and gun rag BS over JHP's SEVERELY crippled defensive ammo.  (JHP's where originally designed to STOP over penetration, which led to under penetration, not stop "better") That started the  "Faster is better" JHP craze, when it was found that jhp's under penetrated, and people got killed from failing to stop badguys (which probably happened WAY MORE than FMJ's passing through and hurting innocents) the result was slowed down velocities, followed by better JHP construction.

Agreed.  JHP design has advanced so they expand more reliably and manufacturers did address the velocity issues.

Yea, that's what I wrote.

IMHO, when the fast calibers came out, 9x23, 10mm, 9mm +P+, .357 Sig, they would have been MUCH better served by modern construction, but in a jacketed soft nose bullet.  That harkens back to the .357 mag being known as a game ender for badguys, .357 softpoints going like hell on wheels.  It's also why the .357 SIG has not gained the same notoriety even though it should theoretically be just as good.

You should look into the data of actual LE and non-LE shootings collected.  By mentioning the .357 magnum as being known as the "game ender for bad guys", you must be somewhat familiar with it.  You have the caliber correct, but it's not the .357 magnum JSP that is "the" undisputed most effective self-defense round.  It's the .357 magnum 125gr JHP moving at 1450fps manufactured by either Federal or Remington which is "the" undisputed most effective self-defense round.  Go back and double check your data and you'll see.  It is a monster of a round that causes massive trauma using a combination of expansion and velocity.  If you have a 125gr FMJ of .38 caliber moving at 1450fps, especially with a pointed bullet design like the .45 FMJ ammo you recommend,

There it is!  The part where I said someone would say I recommend FMJ!
you won't have much tissue damage, but a very nice pinhole right through your attacker.  But since every shot is a CNS hit, it doesn't matter, right?

I'm done posting in this thread, but I will continue reading.  I obviously have my opinions, which I've completely stated here, that are based on my research and the results of the ballistic gel demonstrations we've conducted at the LE distributor for LE agencies.  I know that ballistic gel is not perfect, but when comparing the results of the gel with the compiled data of real world shooting incidents, they closely match.  Seeing the difference between what is basically a caliber sized wound channel though the gel blocks caused by the FMJ rounds and a huge, severed cavity in the blocks as a result of a modern JHP of the correct weight and velocity for the caliber, causing the blocks to move back considerably, it's obvious that, even though you don't believe the "theory", a lot of energy is expended inside.

And, aside from us disagreeing on defensive rounds, I want to thank you for your service.  And I do agree that you know more about FMJ performance from your active duty and experience.  But, unless you were in violation of the Hague Convention, you have absolutely no real-world experience with the effects of JHP's.

Thanks, for the thanks.

Also, FWIW I would venture to guess you wouldn't know what my experience was with JHP's on the civilian side, so I do say that's a bold claim.
Yup, never said FMJ was better than JHP's.  All I wanted to say is that FMJ over penetration is over-hyped.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Drum roll please!
Now that everyone thinks I advocate carrying FMJ's (like happens every time these threads pop up) when all I want to do is convey my opinion that over penetration of FMJ is over hyped, lets see what I carry daily!

FWIW the Super-X SJHP's get swapped for Silver-tips when I have them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Allrighty then.   When I posted this I left out the make and model because I was hoping to limit the responses to the question I asked.  That is kind of unfair to everyone trying to help.  It is not from the most repected company but like I said I have never had a problem with FMJ, mostly WWB.  I think I have fired over 400 rounds of the WWB.

Also I realized that I have only tried  2 types of JHP, Hornady 200 gr. xtp and a 230 grain Hornady.  I also had replacement mags sent a few months ago one worked and one din't.  Total JHP shot is less than 80.  Because I am cheap and in an attempt to isolate the issue I have also been loading the first 6 or 7 with FMJ and then topping off with JHP to conserve ammo.  If it it jams it is always the first round.  If I load less then max it feeds better.

With out further ado and maybe with apolgies to some. It is a Taurus Mil Pro 145.

Also, where is the spell check feature?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you.  I will try the Remingtons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One could also argue that the Hague Convention sets ethical standards, and that one not following it is also not living up to set and internationally respected ethical standards/consideration...  That's the one that I struggle with.  I believe that JHP is better, but using it against international ethical standards (outdated as they may be) gives me a bad feeling about it.

I'm surprised that I never saw the "yeah, but FMJ is the way to go at home 'cause you might have 2-3 guys running down the hallway towards you, so you can get them all with the same shots" argument.  That usually pops up in these type of threads on the ol' interwebz.  :-)

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly I'd retire/sell that Gun to the range and buy a gun that feeds HP with no problem.

If you don't have the money then I understand.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]
You need a new gun, one that you can depend on!  sell that FMJ only .45 and get you a shooter!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One could also argue that the Hague Convention sets ethical standards, and that one not following it is also not living up to set and internationally respected ethical standards/consideration...  That's the one that I struggle with.  I believe that JHP is better, but using it against international ethical standards (outdated as they may be) gives me a bad feeling about it.

Is this a joke?

You are reacting to someone who did something so severe it caused you to shoot them. Your only concern should be stopping them from doing what caused you to shoot them in the first place. Quality JHP does that better in most cases. Use quality JHP.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#16]
FMJ was good enough to permanently take the fight out of over 30 million people last century.

Regardless, have you tried Hornaday Critical Defense ammo?, it has a much more streamlined profile then most .45acp JHP, or Golden Sabers, the gun might like one of the two.

ETA: cripes already posted.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top