Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Geez, guys, look around. I got my HiPower from a pawnshop for $425 out the door-and it's the hard chrome model with the adj. sights, 1981 model. (tracked the SN on Browning's website) I've said before that no handgun collection is complete without a 1911 model, but IMHO the BHP fits into that category also. What a great looking, great shooting and (after installation of Hogue grips) great feeling weapon. And BTW, I LOVE the idea of walnut grips on this gun. (except for the $39.00 EACH SIDE cost from Browning in Arnold, MO) I've also seen BHPs at the gunshow here in Phoenix in the $350-$500 range.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm on my third and looking at my fourth, first was a satin Belgium, second was a 1943 Nazi, (also had a FEG clone really good shooter), third I currently have is a 1950s German police contract model, am selling it to get a 1944 Nazi model. Have all been excellent shooters. Also had a CZ75, would be my next choice but for size.

rk
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thinking about selling one of my MKIII HPs. 99% with box, two 10-round magazines, $465 w/shipping.

The new FN guns are really nice. Maybe even nicer than the Browning MKIIIs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
AIM was selling izzy surplus FN MKIII HP's for around $300 a bit ago.  You may still be able to pick one up - I found one in a local shop for $325 about 6 months ago.  The finish was pretty beat up, but it was in very good condition internally.  I blasted and parked it, but the slide and frame must have been from different types of steel or heat treated differently as the park on them came out in pretty pretty obviously different shades.    Still debating on whether or not to gunkote it, which would be alot more similar to the original finish.

I like the HP, but I also picked up a P7M8 at around the same time, which has been getting much more of my attention.    

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand the disdain for the FEG pistols.  I have a 9HP model, a true HP clone, and it looks, functions, and shoots just fine regardless of the type or quality (as long as it shoots) of ammo I run through it.

I paid $225 for mine.  I picked up a couple of cheap aftermarked high caps.  No FTF or FTE problems.  If I'm going to own a true BHP, it's going to have to be an all matching ex-military.  But until I can afford one, my FEG works just fine, thank you.

FEG makes outstanding weapons, including AKs.  But it doesn't make good HPs?  Sorry, don't get that attitude.

Could it be......snobbery?

Mahatma
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anton Glock.  His drunken sodomist brother that lives in Amsterdam that he doesnt like to talk about.....

Does Anton ever post here?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FEG makes outstanding weapons, including AKs.  But it doesn't make good HPs?  Sorry, don't get that attitude.

Could it be......snobbery?

I would agree with you except to say, "FEG makes outstanding weapons for the money."

I have a FEG HP clone and it is an excellent value for a sub $250 pistol.  But several parts are obviously cast (the hammer and sear, for instance) and there is evidence of (admittedly minor) corners cut in the workmanship.

Is it a highly finished FN? Nope, but it costs 1/3 as much.  Will it get the job done?  Yep.  But my Browning's more accurate and has a much better trigger.

The FEG could be worked into a truly beautiful specimen with some time and effort; Ted Yost and others have done this with great results.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried an FEG hi-power clone and thought it was broken when I tried to pull the trigger. I had to squeeze with all my might (and I am a big guy used to shooting heavy trigger DA autos and playing 13 gague strings on my acoustic guitar...More than enough hand strength) just to get the thing to fall.

I guess with a good breakin the trigger would have improved, but I don't know how in the hell you can hit anything with that kind of trigger. Maybe this was unusual for the FEG guns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I tried an FEG hi-power clone and thought it was broken when I tried to pull the trigger. I had to squeeze with all my might (and I am a big guy used to shooting heavy trigger DA autos and playing 13 gague strings on my acoustic guitar...More than enough hand strength) just to get the thing to fall.

That is abnormal for the FEGs.  Their SA pull is heavier than many DA triggers, but mine didn't require nearly that much effort.  It was pretty nasty, however.  Removing the mag safety plunger helped cut the pull almost in half, but it still needs some work to make it as good as my other HP's.  The FEG's rough finish machining is a partial culprit for this, and I think its mainspring is also substantially stiffer than my Browning's.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a BHP in '91 that was Novak'd just like the HRT had. It was the best shooting pistol I have ever owned. Sold it in '98 to pay some bills and I want to find another one someday. It's a tug o' war since it costs more than a new AR does. I still cannot figure out why the HRT dropped it in favor of a 1911. It must be an LEO thing to change gun models for the sake of it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top