Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Glocks are ingeniously simple, rugged, reliable, and practically rust proof...
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
better SHIFT pistol: 1911

of your choices, GLOCK

the mags are quite available (stock your own mags, then all you will have to worry about is more ammo), its got a more reupualbly longer useage life, less parts to break, more durable (imo), and simple to use and maintain
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to the academy with a Beretta 92 about 13 years ago.  I loved that gun.  I had 7 factory mags for it and never, not one time, had any malfunction of any kind.  I put over 7500 rounds through that pistol before I sold it off.  The only reason I sold it was the Dept. I went to work for issued 226s and 229s.  

That being said I have carried a G17 for the last 7 years - issued.  I would not buy one or carry one if I did not have too.  I am a Glock armorer also.  Very simple gun, easy to teach, shoot and repair.  Of the two, BERETTA!  

Thats all I have to say about that.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I went to the academy with a Beretta 92 about 13 years ago.  I loved that gun.  I had 7 factory mags for it and never, not one time, had any malfunction of any kind.  I put over 7500 rounds through that pistol before I sold it off.  The only reason I sold it was the Dept. I went to work for issued 226s and 229s.  

That being said I have carried a G17 for the last 7 years - issued.  I would not buy one or carry one if I did not have too.  I am a Glock armorer also.  Very simple gun, easy to teach, shoot and repair.  Of the two, BERETTA!  

Thats all I have to say about that.  

+1
Went through the academy with a 92FS about 13 years ago myself.Was issued a Glock 21 and just could not shoot the pistol accurately.So I bought the 92FS on my own dime.Shot top of the class with the Beretta too.Its been carried,beat banged and shot a bunch.Saw a few week long S.W.A.T. training sessions too.Lost count on rounds.Never had a failure with the 92 even with the crap ammo at the academy.All thats been done to the pistol is a new set of grips and the recoil spring change every so often.
The only mags I have used are factory Beretta 15 and 20 rounders.No function issues except the old aluminum followers wore out from the slide stop.Replaced the followers with the new polymer followers and the old mags are still going.
The Beretta 92 is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned and I would,and have,put my life on the line with it.
The Glock is a good pistol and Ive had a couple,but I prefer the Beretta 92 if I had to choose.It fits me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Carried a Beretta in the Army and I've had one for 6 civilian years,  It was a well worn police trade in when I bought it, and has performed flawlessly for over 2000 rounds.  My vote goes to the Beretta because I like the manual safety, and SE/DA setup.  

That said, if the glock is lighter and more concealable, that would be an important consideration.
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My first "real" handgun was a 92FS.  It's an absolute classic looking gun.  It's big for a 9mm that only holds 15 rounds.  Action was smooth as glass (and after Ernest Langdon was done with it.. oh man).  Got a few thousand rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind.  It was more accurate than me too.  Made in the USA.

I sold it because... uhm, damn. Wish I hadn't sold it actually!!

But, all that said, I have a 1911 and a Glock 19 now.  The mags for glocks are cheaper.  ~$17 or even less.  If you get a glock 19 you'll have the same standard capacity as the beretta in a smaller, lighter package.  Also, if you get the 19 over the 17 then you'll have even more mags out in the world that fit it. Oh, the glocks come standard with an accessory rail if that matters to you; Beretta doesn't. Slightly simpler maintenance on the glock.  

As far as scrounging mags from the US military, in my opinion, they won't be handing them over readily.  [side soap box: i've always found that idea dubious.  Even in my local Army Guard unit we periodically practiced setting up the defense of the armory building to include 240Bs and MK19s on the roof.  yeah, please, come raid our armory.]

Bottom line on this: you'll love either one but slight edge to Glock given your criteria.

Link Posted: 4/24/2005 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Beretta all the way. Glock is a fine weapon, but I have NEVER had a FTF/FTE with my Beretta.
Asthetics? The 92FS is a classic looking gun. I'm not to hip on the slab side look of Glock.
Its your choice! You can't go wrong either way IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#8]
they're both extremely good choices.  Buy the one that fits your hands, that you're most comfortable with, and that you shoot best.  (fyi, I loathe plastic guns....and 9mm...but I grudgingly admit that Glock and Beretta both make exceptional weapons)  My wife has owned a 92FS for about 10 years now, and shoots it at least weekly.  Never had a malfunction yet other than what could be attributed to cheap aftermarket mags.

The only edge I can give to Glock over the 92 (all my prejudices aside) is the sights.  The narrow slide on the 92 makes it harder for me to align on target quickly.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, the only edge I can give to the 92 over the Glock is the decock/safety lever...and second strike capability.  There.  My vote is close, but goes to the 92
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
BERETTA!!! Just recently purchased a 92G elite 2 and used to own a plain jane 92fs. my biggest mistake ever was getting rid of the 92fs. I also own a glock 17 which I don't value as much as the beretta or sig I own. I'd go with beretta if I were you. It will serve you well. my advice though, buy one from Langdon tactical. Have Ernie langdon build you a custom one using a regular 92fs frame and a vertec slide. Vertec slide is identical to the standard 92fs slide except it has a dovetail front sight you can replace if you want. The regular 92fs front sight is forged out of the slide itself. None-removeable. The cost of this custom gun should prolly be the same as a normal 92fs. I plan on ordering a gun like this next.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
LTT is no more.Mr.Langdon has taken a position at S&W and is no longer taking orders or doing mods. and repairs.
Check out the LTT site for more information.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Bretta 40,Glock 40,Colt combat elite 45acp,sig P229 40,S&W 6906 9mm!

THEY ARE PROVEN HANDGUNS I would pick wich ever you shoot the best! I kinda lean to the Glock if I couldnt have a Colt 1911 style or a Sig
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
In 1986 is was looking to purchase my first handgun.  The choices were a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92F.  I chose the Beretta and have never regretted it.  I still have the pistol and it is my primary home defense and IDPA gun.  It is very smooth and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
GLOCK!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#14]
get the glock,very simple pistol to learn, and shoot,very easy to work on also.I own 4,well one is my department issue handgun.3 are 9mm and 1 .40 cal,1 G26, 2 G19's, 1 G23.all my guns have the New York 1 trigger, which is an 8lb.trigger option.Since my duty gun is a G19 with the NY1 trigger I switched all my personal guns over to this option.this trigger has a very nice feel to it, does'nt feel light like the standard 5.5 trigger.you can get high-cap mags from several companies now for as low as $13.99 now ( CDNN ,Botach,or Jerrys Sports).,Oh yeah by the way, I carry a 33 rounder in my car in case the shit really hits the fan.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#15]
  Many of the previous posters have brought up valid points on the pros and cons of both designs. The single biggest pro for the Glock that was addressed was that their sheer simplicity lends them to SHTF more so than the Beretta. With fewer parts, there are inherently fewer parts to break. That said, the amount you will most likely use a pistol in that situation would be so rare as to virtually nullify the point.
  In so far as magazines are concerned, buy what you feel you'll need ahead of time and keep track of them (magazine retention drills) if and when it comes time to use them. Do not count on being able to acquire mags at all if the SHTF. In all probability, it will be very difficult at best.
  Reliability......That is an issue that neither side is likely to win any time soon. Both weapons have been EXTENSIVELY tested buy military and police over the past 20-25 years and both are well proven performers. I have a 92FS that I bought new and have put over 20K malfunction-free rounds through with nothing more than a spring change. And have also personally seen Glocks with a similar record. When you produce anything in the numbers the Berettas and Glocks have been, you have to expect the occasional lemon. If and when people put aside their personal feelings and the hearsay they claim as fact, you’ll realize that when you are talking about weapons of the (no pun intended) caliber they will perform so close to one another as to once again, make this a moot point as well.
 What it’s going to come down to is go with what feels better in your hand and what points more naturally. Both of these guns are excellent and would serve you very well, but you have to hit, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
  Many of the previous posters have brought up valid points on the pros and cons of both designs. The single biggest pro for the Glock that was addressed was that their sheer simplicity lends them to SHTF more so than the Beretta. With fewer parts, there are inherently fewer parts to break. That said, the amount you will most likely use a pistol in that situation would be so rare as to virtually nullify the point.
  In so far as magazines are concerned, buy what you feel you'll need ahead of time and keep track of them (magazine retention drills) if and when it comes time to use them. Do not count on being able to acquire mags at all if the SHTF. In all probability, it will be very difficult at best.
  Reliability......That is an issue that neither side is likely to win any time soon. Both weapons have been EXTENSIVELY tested buy military and police over the past 20-25 years and both are well proven performers. I have a 92FS that I bought new and have put over 20K malfunction-free rounds through with nothing more than a spring change. And have also personally seen Glocks with a similar record. When you produce anything in the numbers the Berettas and Glocks have been, you have to expect the occasional lemon. If and when people put aside their personal feelings and the hearsay they claim as fact, you’ll realize that when you are talking about weapons of the (no pun intended) caliber they will perform so close to one another as to once again, make this a moot point as well.
 What it’s going to come down to is go with what feels better in your hand and what points more naturally. Both of these guns are excellent and would serve you very well, but you have to hit, plain and simple.

+1 Well said!

I love my Beretta Brigadier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]
glock the only way to go
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer the Glock over the Beretta. The Glock fits me better. To me my Beretta was like holding a carpenter square and I couldn't get use to it. I had to rase the front of the gun to see the front sight everytime I aimed it. My Glock is like pointing my finger, its that natural. Try both if you can, get the one you like and shoot better!
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]
AK Krink

Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
First pistol?  Get a Glock 19 and never look back.  One of the lightest, best general purpose handgun with high round capacity.

Right on the money.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First pistol?  Get a Glock 19 and never look back.  One of the lightest, best general purpose handgun with high round capacity.

Right on the money.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I also own both and I would have to agree with most saying that I would prefer a Glock in a SHTF sorta way.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag because my boss and I were just talking about this.  

Post in the am tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Shoot both -- buy which one you shoot the best/feels the best in your hands. I have both a Glock G17 and two Beretta 92FS pistols -- both are exceptional handguns that you can trust your life to.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Choose the one that you like the best. For myself I have only three handguns at this time. A 22lr. A G17 and a G19. The G17 is the gun that made Glock famous. I have the G19 for a ccw. Thinking of getting the G26. All have the same trigger and I can use the same ammo+p or+P+ if I want. Not all guns are rated for +p. The Berreta had a few problems when the army fist got them but I think that they have fixed them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The best SHTF weapon?  Its the one that you have with you...

Between the two listed, I'd feel more comfortable with a Glock.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't prefer either of the two, Beretta or Glock. That is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#30]
+1 for Glock, but ditch the 9mm, get a .40.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#31]
My vote goes for the Glock 17.  That being said, I have owned two B92s.  The 1st was a 92F and the 2nd being a 92FS.  I also carry a 92D Cent. while on duty.  Both are very very reliable pistols.  Both have approx. the same number of rounds.  But IMHO the Glock is just slightly better.  It has fewer parts to break, it won't rust as easaily, is a heck of a lot easier to clean. (not as many nooks and crannies) and does not need as much lube to work well.  Fully loaded it is also lighter.

Also "9 is fine"
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on the money.

My thoughts exactly.

Yup.  Me too - Glock 19 all the way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#33]
glock
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow Block has really good marketing  
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#35]
XD
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock 17  

That is all.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
BERETTA!!!!!!!!!!!......take note: once purchasing this pistol....melt some lead pour it directly down the barrel and into the mag well. Once it has cooled firmly secure a line to it. Will be the best canoe anchor you ever had. Thus ends the usefullness of the Beretta.
That being said GO GLOCK, started w/ a 19 have several since. Also owned or own Beretta, Walther, Ruger, Sig, Hk, Kimber. The last three are all good but i love my Glocks if it had to be one it'd be a Glock. I'm rough on stuff and gotta have something that isnt gonna be picky and work no matter what. Use a Sig at work...it does ok but only had it for 4yrs and had to have stuff replaced on it. My G19...shot i dunno how many rnds threw it and its still going very strong. So go GLOCK !
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I sold my Hk USP to buy a Glock 35. It was the best thing I ever did. There is absolutely no way I would pick the 92 over a Glock. Some have said the Glock is not as accurate, but I have two scores of 498 out of a possible 500 at indoor Glock matches, so don't tell me that they aren't accurate. If your shots aren't hitting the bull, it's probably the goober pulling the trigger!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#39]
I shoot my 92FS better than my G17.

I had at least one or two jam with my G22, G32, G21.
but for primary defense, nothing more accurate AND reliable than my USP45! zero jam.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#41]
SHTF- whatever is in you hand at the moment.

IF you can choose, there are far better rounds than the 9mm. I'm sure that will light some folks up, but having been personally acquainted with the 9mm, I'm not carrying anything smaller than a 40, more likely something bigger.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#42]
shoot both, pick the one YOU shoot best. Don't ask people what is better, because of course it is going to be what they currently shoot. Trends change. I personally can't stand the feel of the polymer frame, which is why I don't shoot glocks, sigs, HK, etc. I have friends that own those guns and they perform flawlessly. I own a Beretta and it performs just as well. Shoot a G17, 92FS, and 92 Vertec. Purchase the one you like, not what someone else likes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
BERETTA!!!!!!!!!!!......take note: once purchasing this pistol....melt some lead pour it directly down the barrel and into the mag well. Once it has cooled firmly secure a line to it. Will be the best canoe anchor you ever had. Thus ends the usefullness of the Beretta. !

+1000.  After putting many thousands of rounds through the M9 I refuse to personally own such a crutch of a weapon.  I own many Glocks and set them down only to pick up my 1911.  Go Glock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
GLOCK and walk away
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Find a Steyr M-9.  I know it wasn't on your list, but I swear by mine.  It goes bang no matter what.  But then again, this topic is like arguing religion.  Another great SHTF 9 is the Baby Eagle.

For a SHTF pistol, I'll take my 1911 any day.  It's only drawback is the single stack lower capacity.

Anyway, I have three 9's that I swear by, the Steyr, a CZ, and a Baby Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock 35. Its my SHTF pistol. And range pistol, and carry pistol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I own a beretta, no glocks.....But..

Are you talking a little SHTF (local punks draw down, etc.)  or a big, society collapses, aliens invade, industry stops, SHTF?  

I like my 92 inox, reliable, and looks good, but looking good won't be a consideration when zombies take over etc, soooooo

I say glock.  because when the s(really)htf, a purty gun don't mean jack.

Guess I gotta get a glock now.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Why is the 1911 even a consideration for SHTF? Single stack low capacity mags aren't useful against zombie hordes unless we're talking about the tank busting, helicopter dropping 45 Auto cartridges.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Head to the nearest rental range.

Shoot the Pizza pistol, the G-17, and the G-19.

Whichever one you hit the best with, and find more attracted to instinctively, while disregarding the emotional aspect of the matter, buy.

I have very little use for the Barfetta.
It is but a ugly, unreliable, and over engineered paper weight to me.
I spent more than a little time with a fingernail file, deburring Issued Barfetta magazine feed lips, and fussing to keep the thing clean on account of the thngs not liking talcum powder sand as an environment.
I actually LOATHE the things.

However, I know first hand that they can be made to run with proper attention, and good mags, whenusing good ammo.

I know several high end operators and Cops, that love the things for their D/A trigger, and they way it fit's THEIR hand, and points.

If you find that the Berretta fits your hand, and instinctively points for you, and you can make the commitment to it's quirks(Same as any other tool)  then buy it, learn it, train with it, and as a package go forth with it in confidence that you have the right tool.

Forme, the G-19 and G-17 would be the option.
No decocking dingus(Cut my teeth on a 1911)
Simple field AND detail strip with the only tool needed being a properly sized nail.
Less lubrication requirement.
Less magazine sensitivity, and better mag availablity.
Fewer issues with environment in my experience.
More than adequate accuracy for the field.
Simpler manual of arms.
Less issue with corrosion.

I carry a G-21 on duty with one concern, and am issued an H&K USP on duty with another.
Was issued the 1911A1 transitioned to the M9, and then later was issued the 1911A1 again while wearing the EGA.

I love 1911's.
I carry by choice the G-21, on account the Boss wont allow a 1911.

Whatever you find that is the easiest and most natural for you to become hardwired with,  is likely to be the best choice for YOU.

If the Berretta fits, grab it, adjust to what it needs to keep running, and forget what works for me or any other idjit that will tell you that you are wrong.

Just wear the thing out with honest practice and training.

Mind my rant.
The whole Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing gets to me sometimes.

Best of luck in your decision.
S-28

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top