Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/26/2014 2:30:08 PM EDT

Which would you pick between the Sig Sauer P226 w/ short reset trigger and newer e2 grip or a Beretta 92A1?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig...even though I've have very little experience with the weapon.

What I do have is a lot of experience with the Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Beretta all the way
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't have a 92, but have shot them a bit. I do have a number of Glocks and Sigs, though I'd say I'm a mediocre pistol shot.

Upon recently buying my 1st P226, I discovered that it made me look like I was a good shot. Seriously, I shoot very tight groups with this platform. After my fund with the P226r, I bought a P226 TacOps (with the SRT) and discovered that I can shoot very fast & tight groups. Really, these pistols make me look good. With the P226 TacOps, it;s as if my front sight stays still, as I pump out rounds. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
They do the same thing, but I have more experience with the Beretta, and it's several hundred cheaper. So Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 228 and a standard 92, so I sort of have both.  The 92 is an Italian I've had since 1989.  Thousands of rounds thru it, lost track of how many.  On its second or third set of springs.  Accurate, utterly reliable, has never jammed once on a myriad of brands of ammo, including a ton of reloads.  The 228 is a 1991 edition that I've had for about five years.  It had a new set of springs when I bought it.  Also accurate, also completely reliable, tho I have less rounds thru it.  I use the 228 in my carry rotation.  The 92 is really too big for that.  

I like them both and would be hard pressed to choose one over the other.  I have smallish hands but find I can handle either one without any difficulty.  I might, and I emphasize might, lean slightly to the SIG.  If you ask me why I'm not sure I could tell you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I like both weapons about equally.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep hate the M9
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Why the hate for the M9? Just curious is all. I have one and its the most accurate pistol ive owned. And I love how the slide feels like its on ball bearings. Good sized for my hands and I can carry it concealed if im in the mood but my G19 usually fills that roll.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
TDA FAN

I would be happy with either one.

And like the sig MK25 just a tad bit more than the M9A1

I bought a Beretta 96  back in 1998 and it slide felt like it was on rollers.
And the attention to detail/QC was out of this world for a combat pistol.

I ended up trading it in for a Sig P229 40cal that turn out to be my best pistol Ive had yet.
To bad it isn't s nice looking as the Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why the hate for the M9? Just curious is all. I have one and its the most accurate pistol ive owned. And I love how the slide feels like its on ball bearings. Good sized for my hands and I can carry it concealed if im in the mood but my G19 usually fills that roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

The pistol gets a lot of hate.

I never had a problem operating one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't have a 92, but have shot them a bit. I do have a number of Glocks and Sigs, though I'd say I'm a mediocre pistol shot.

Upon recently buying my 1st P226, I discovered that it made me look like I was a good shot. Seriously, I shoot very tight groups with this platform. After my fund with the P226r, I bought a P226 TacOps (with the SRT) and discovered that I can shoot very fast & tight groups. Really, these pistols make me look good. With the P226 TacOps, it;s as if my front sight stays still, as I pump out rounds. YMMV.
View Quote

+1
sigs are so easy to shoot. Its almost like the sights line up on there own.
BTW I have the old school Bar Dot sights on my beloved P229

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Of those two models I would go with the Sig. If the Beretta was a G model, especially along the lines of an Elite, the decision becomes much harder. A railed G model Elite or Vertec would be very tempting. Just a 92A1 with a decocker and Brigadier slide would be very close. Both are excellent guns, hard to go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of those two models I would go with the Sig. If the Beretta was a G model, especially along the lines of an Elite, the decision becomes much harder. A railed G model Elite or Vertec would be very tempting. Just a 92A1 with a decocker and Brigadier slide would be very close. Both are excellent guns, hard to go wrong with either.
View Quote

Agree.  I love both guns.  I would probably lean towards the Sig, but the 92 is very nice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Never had a Sig I imagine they are easier to shoot than beretta with that gorilla sized grip. But did sig ever get their quality control up to par? One thing the Beretta has going for it is consistency, seems like most manufactures lately have QC issues lately.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not a fan of the e2 grip.  Have you shot a sig with one?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I like both pretty equally. They are both very similar, the only major difference being price and ergos with the P226 being more adaptable to hand size and sight options.

Neither would be my go-to gun. I'm much more a fan of striker fired poly guns for practical use vs hammer fired DA/SA.

The only reason I currently own an M9 is because I've been competing in National Guard matches and I needed a gun to dry-fire/train with. I'd like a MK25 but have little practical reason to own one.

Either one will serve you well. These guns are a classic example of seeing which one you shoot better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

I've actually been observing a resurgence in the M9/92's popularity. I think Wilson Combat's announcement of Beretta services had a lot of people feel more vindicated in saying "Well, I'VE always liked the 92".
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#19]
SIG without a doubt. The Beretta is a heavy, poorly designed, POS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

MK25: 34.4 oz
M9A1: 33.9 oz

Both have a 15 rd capacity.

Considering you got the weight argument wrong, I probably shouldn't bother to ask this but, how is the M9 "poorly designed"? It's well known to be one of the most reliable pistols around. The only real reputation the M9 has for unreliability came from the army buying garbage mags early in the GWOT.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've actually been observing a resurgence in the M9/92's popularity. I think Wilson Combat's announcement of Beretta services had a lot of people feel more vindicated in saying "Well, I'VE always liked the 92".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Peer pressure is pretty strong in the gun community. Seriously though it is. Lately I've just been buying what i enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a couple good articles to frame the personalities of both the P226 and M9/92FS

MSW: The Sig P226: The Unrecognized Workhorse
MSW: Beretta 92FS: The Forgotten Service Pistol
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI!

And I don't even own a Sig.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Other than the sights being too small, the grip too big, trigger sucking, and the locking blocks breaking, the M9 is a great pistol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Other than the sights being too small, the grip too big, trigger sucking, and the locking blocks breaking, the M9 is a great pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Didn't know Beretta was still making the 92F. Or are you saying the modern 92FS (designed to fix the rare locking block issues) still has locking block issues?

I'll concede that many consider the grips on big side. I find them right on the line. Drop a "G" hammer spring into an M9 to make the DA pull better if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handling both, the Sig is actually larger in some dimensions than the Beretta, but it never gets the hate for that either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Its a combat pistol but i guess if your into precision shooting then maybe they are a bit small. As far as the trigger sucking i would disagree. Yes the double action pull is quite heavy but it doesnt bother me at all. Feels a little safer being that heavy. Any trigger takes some getting used to and the M9 is no different. If a person shoots 1 mag through it they may not like the trigger but after running several hundred rounds through it you get used to the trigger. Or at least I did and I now find i shoot it way better in both DA/SA than my Glock 19 thats had trigger work done. Not sure on the grips but I dont feel the grips are much bigger than the Sig but without having much trigger time with the 226 maybe they are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its a combat pistol but i guess if your into precision shooting then maybe they are a bit small. As far as the trigger sucking i would disagree. Yes the double action pull is quite heavy but it doesnt bother me at all. Feels a little safer being that heavy. Any trigger takes some getting used to and the M9 is no different. If a person shoots 1 mag through it they may not like the trigger but after running several hundred rounds through it you get used to the trigger. Or at least I did and I now find i shoot it way better in both DA/SA than my Glock 19 thats had trigger work done. Not sure on the grips but I dont feel the grips are much bigger than the Sig but without having much trigger time with the 226 maybe they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

In all fairness it is normally reliable until it breaks.  It will also more than likely not be fired enough by its user to break it.  

But myself and good friends of mine/associates do fire this pistol a lot.  And they break.  We also win competitions with them.  But this is a harder pistol to shoot well than any pistol I have ever used.  And I do shoot it well.

It is NOT what the Army said it was:  A user friendly pistol for all service members.  

I am not a big fan of the Sig 226 either.  I personally think the higher bore axis slows down rapid fire follow up shots.  But I think that its superior trigger and sights makes up for this deficiency in spades when put head to head with the Beretta.

One thing I have come to appreciate about the M9:  It makes you concentrate on the basics of marksmanship, as it is very unforgiving.  If you can learn to shoot an M9 well, you will shoot most any other pistol better than before the M9.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an M9 and a Sig 226 tacops. Prefer the Sig by a long shot. To me the Sig has both a better double action and single action pull. SRT is amazing. Plus I don't like the slide mounted safety/decocker of the Beretta. I do however love both pistols and shoot both well. The Sig is my duty weapon. Both have been 100% reliable and I'm not a good enough shot (most aren't) to notice a difference in accuracy when grouping.

Can't go wrong with either. Comes down to the decocker location if you ask me.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of E2 grips but a lot of people like them.

ETA: either trigger can be set up beautifully I might add. I am referring to how they come from the factory in stock form for those models.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

And you left out the other terrible ergos to include small and difficult to activate mag release and the safety which operates in the wrong/opposite direction.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And you left out the other terrible ergos to include small and difficult to activate mag release and the safety which operates in the wrong/opposite direction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

It's the right direction for a slide safety/decocker.  Kind of like bitching that the AR-15's safety is wrong because it doesn't work like the crossbolt safety on a 10/22.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

If the military selected the P226 over the 92 in the M9 trials, people would hate the Sig.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If the military selected the P226 over the 92 in the M9 trials, people would hate the Sig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Based on what?  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's the right direction for a slide safety/decocker.  Kind of like bitching that the AR-15's safety is wrong because it doesn't work like the crossbolt safety on a 10/22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's incorrect because as you are drawing the weapon and trying to establish a proper grip you have to move your thumb upwards to take the safety off, after that, you can start to move your thumb back down where it belongs.

As opposed to say a 1911 where the motion is all one sweep of the thumb.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
  Based on what?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Based on what?  

Based on human nature.

Everyone hated the M1911A1 too before the beretta switch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

I hate it becuase the ergo's are shit and the slide mounted safety is just horrible. Becuase I'm in the military I have to wear gloves all the time so trying to manipulate the M9 is difficult to say this least. I'm not saying its a bad pistol and I can set it up to be usable while on patrol but for a everyday carry I wouldn't even consider it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, it's incorrect because as you are drawing the weapon and trying to establish a proper grip you have to move your thumb upwards to take the safety off, after that, you can start to move your thumb back down where it belongs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the gun's fault you're trying to use it incorrectly.  The Beretta is designed to be carried with one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off.  Exactly the same way you would carry a newer SIG like a P227 that doesn't even have a manual safety.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's not the gun's fault you're trying to use it incorrectly.  The Beretta is designed to be carried with one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off.  Exactly the same way you would carry a newer SIG like a P227 that doesn't even have a manual safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats part of the reason why the military hates it. We are rarely allowed to carry it that way, the only times I'm allowed to carry it that way is on patrol. But while on the FOB or while on duty conus side your forced to carry it safety on, mag in and nothing in the pipe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I hate it becuase the ergo's are shit and the slide mounted safety is just horrible. Becuase I'm in the military I have to wear gloves all the time so trying to manipulate the M9 is difficult to say this least. I'm not saying its a bad pistol and I can set it up to be usable while on patrol but for a everyday carry I wouldn't even consider it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

I agree with the sentiment that the 92's slide safety could be better. I've always liked the concept of the Beretta 92 Stock/Combat/Billenium with it's frame mounted thumb safety. You can't sling-shot the slide as effectively  as something like a Glock because the safety can be easily engaged, this was changed with the "G" models that acts a decocker only but they're not readily available as the 92/M9 models.

In reality the M9 should be carried decocked off-safe, but that's not necessarily viable depending on unit command/department. I use a Safariland 3085 because it's such a universal holster and I don't need a new model every time I use or don't use any type of light/laser. But it leaves the trigger somewhat exposed so I use the safety.

However, I've never had a problem easily disengaging the thumb safety on the draw stroke, just takes a little practice. As I start to pull the pistol from the holster I simultaneously press down with the front of my thumb as that thumb goes into it's position against the slide. It's a very seamless action. With the thumb retention holsters like the safariland it's ever faster.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#40]
The simple answer is whatever you shoot beter.

I have a couple of Sigs and have shot quite a few 92s but Glock is best for me . Part of this is of course because that is what I have shot lots with
But I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Do less "research" on the computer and more on the range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#41]
When I carried a 96 Compact, I was able to sweep my thumb forward to deactivate the safety.   It worked very well, especially after I'd softened the sharp edges on the safety lever a bit.   But in DA mode there is no reason to even use the safety.

There's a lot to like about the Beretta, but it isn't something the "cool kids" are using.  The ability to easily replace the mainspring with a DAO spring is a much easier and cheaper trigger upgrade than anything you can do on a SIG P-series.   The magazine release is reversible.   The Bruniton finish isn't bad, though the frame anodizing seems to wear off pretty quickly.   The open top slide means malfunctions are easier to clear, not that you often have a lot of those.  My Berettas have been among the most reliable handguns I've owned, surpassing Glocks and several other brands.  They are also not too bad to detail strip.

Among the gripes: the front sight wasn't dovetailed on the 92FS, it was integral to the slide.   Slide mounted safety meant you had to learn a different way to grab the slide.   Locking block and trigger return spring are ID'd as potential trouble spots.   Open top slide can let crap get into the action.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A "proper grip" if there is such a thing, puts your thumb exactly where it needs to be to deactivate the safety. And you don't flick it up, you push it forward (the direction your thumbs would be going). It's spring loaded, you barely press forward with your thumb and it flips up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I can miss with either...  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thats part of the reason why the military hates it. We are rarely allowed to carry it that way, the only times I'm allowed to carry it that way is on patrol. But while on the FOB or while on duty conus side your forced to carry it safety on, mag in and nothing in the pipe.
View Quote

Just wait until they decide to replace the Beretta with a new wonder pistol... you'll have to carry it hammer down on safe with a chamber flag and an IDF-style dummy mag holding an empty mag with the rounds in a locked box.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#45]
While IMO you wont go wrong with either, I prefer the beretta. Its one of the best shooting pistols I have ever owned or shot, and that includes a P225, P228, P226. Sigs are great pistols and while I would love to have a Mk25 just for the hell of it, there are others I like more.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A "proper grip" if there is such a thing, puts your thumb exactly where it needs to be to deactivate the safety. And you don't flick it up, you push it forward (the direction your thumbs would be going). It's spring loaded, you barely press forward with your thumb and it flips up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man is correct on pushing the safety forward rather than up.  It can also be accomplished during the draw as you are placing your hand on the grip to draw.

For all of you that are forced to carry the M9, especially with none in the pipe please listen up:

Train to ALWAYS charge the weapon by grabbing it forward of the ejection port!!
This will prevent activating the safety/decocker in a stress situation such as in a fight or malfunction clearance.

If you grab it by the rear of the slide you will move the decocker to the rear every time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Poll fail,   no option for SIG without the E2 grips  
I do so loathe them
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up, forward, semantics (i.e. do you think I'm actually talking about pushing it in a direction it doesn't go in?).  As for how easy it is, I didn't say it was a struggle; easy or not, it is not a natural movement to take move your thumb up when it needs to eventually go down (against your other thumb).

As for carry, outside the wire we carry with the safety OFF, just for that reason: ergos suck.  When you do use the safety (carrying on the FOB) it's still backwards).

OP wanted opinions:  he's got 'em.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Up vs Forward is not semantics. It's a different direction. You don't have to "sweep up" to flick the safety off. Your thumb is in a natural position to push it forward coming out of the draw, or with a proper grip. It's right there, you just nudge it and it goes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Had a Berretta M9 it was a pistol that I never used that sat on my hip and when it was used it was used to shoot paper.

If I had a choice the Sig hands down.  I saw a few of the M9's develop cracks on the slide and mine had issues of its own just being a picky pistol.  Did it work yes… Did it do the intended purpose yes but not spectacularly….. Would I have issues carrying it again yes if it was my only choice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top