Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2023 9:01:32 PM EDT
.....specifically a Sig P365, Walther CCP or Walther PPK/s?  (others too, but these are the three I'm most interested in). I'm not talking about carrying what you happen to have. I mean you actually consciously went out and bought a .380 for the purpose of CCW. If so why? I've been giving a lot of thought lately to a compact .380 for carry and I'm not sure I buy the arguement that they are insufficient for self defense. However, I shot a friend's Ruger LCP and boy was the recoil snappy. Shooting a 1911 was more comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
.....specifically a Sig P365, Walther CCP or Walther PPK/s?  (others too, but these are the three I'm most interested in). I'm not talking about carrying what you happen to have. I mean you actually consciously went out and bought a .380 for the purpose of CCW. If so why? I've been giving a lot of thought lately to a compact .380 for carry and I'm not sure I buy the arguement that they are insufficient for self defense. However, I shot a friend's Ruger LCP and boy was the recoil snappy. Shooting a 1911 was more comfortable.
View Quote
This would be me.  I normally carry a G43x or a P365x. I was at Sig Days in NH and had a chance to fire the 365-380 and I was like WOW this is such an easy soft shooter. So I went out and bought one for carry. I have a Holosun 507K green on it and using Underwood 380 90gr Xtreme penetrators and I am happy with that combo. It is super soft shooter. Quite a bit softer than my Glock 42.  I forgot to mention I am 61 and appreciate the lighter recoil. Not that I can't handle the 9mm but it is significantly softer
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an LCP I occasionally carry as a backup gun. It’s not fun to shoot but work well. If I was going to carry a .380 as my primary CCW I would get a Glock 42 or a P365-380, but I would just go 9mm.

I will say that in my experience the classic blowback .380s, most of my experience is with a Sig P230 and a CZ 83, are less pleasant to shoot than a locked breach 9mm of similar size. I suspect the Walther is pretty snappy, though I haven’t shot one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes I pocket carry a Ruger LCP Max. It's fairly comfortable and holds 12+1 of .380.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll periodically carry a LCP.  It's not my 1st or 2nd option but the gun on you is better than the gun in your car.  Gym shorts and sometimes in dress pants it's my primary
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
LCP Max because it fits in my fishing shorts pocket and so far has survived three dunkings in saltwater
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I frequently carry a Walther PPK/s .380 or a Colt 1903 .32.  Yes the PPK/s is a bit snappier in recoil than a locked breach pistol of the same size but Lord have mercy, it is only a .380.  My Walther has been 100% reliable since it came out of the box and is reasonably accurate as pocket pistols go.  For me, that means torso hits quick @ 25 yards and head hits at the same range if I take my time.  I shoot a stiff hand load with a 90 grain flat point bullet, 1000 + fps muzzle vel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes I pocket carry a Ruger LCP Max. It's fairly comfortable and holds 12+1 of .380.
View Quote

ETA: It's not my primary carry, but a carry for when I need to deep conceal. I find it not unpleasant to shoot by any means. Would I want to put 1k rounds through it in a day? No. But a few hundred is no problem, the sights and trigger are plenty serviceable, and 12+1 with 12 in a spare doesnt leave me feeling unprepared. As mouse guns go, I've had a number of them, it's far and away the best I've used IMO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Been carrying a 380 for 20 years... strongly suggest you try the G42. It is a pleasure to shoot and very concealable....

w/ G23

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a LCP on occasion, ex. running/mountain biking, non-permissive environment.  Yep, it's snappy and the sights suck but, like a J frame, if you practice with it it's quite accurate and fits its niche very well.  At various times before all of the small 9mms came out I owned a PPK/S and a Colt Mustang and carried them (the sights on both of them suck as well).  I don't expect any handgun caliber to stop a fight with a single shot; it may happen, but I wouldn't expect it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry a .380 more often than not, but it’s a Ruger LCP. I carry it because it conceals better at work and that’s the majority of my carry hours in a day.

If I were going to step up to that larger size like the 365 or CCP, I’d carry one in 9mm, not .380. To my mind, the ONLY reason to go with .380 is for better concealment. I see no reason to select .380 over 9mm in the same platform size.

Seriously, so what if it’s snappy? Any gun in that size is snappy. If you ever have to draw it and shoot in anger, how snappy it was is something that you likely will never remember or ever even think about. It’s like shooting a rifle at the range and then later at a deer. There’s no comparison. Your focus isn’t on the recoil in real life when it matters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 fits nicely (100% concealed) in my jeans watch pocket.

.380 will get it done with modern performance ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#13]
G42
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]
yes, an LCP II is my "i'm not wearing a gun-gun" but it sucks to shoot, has tiny sights, and I don't enjoy it. I have never picked it up and felt any kind of confidence in it.

I am close to listing it for sale to put the money towards a 365. I carry a tuned XL so a smaller baby version in the same caliber makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The Bodyguard 380 is 100% reliable with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I think it has sights. But I've never used them. Its a 5-yard gun.

Whoever shoots FIRST wins.

Draw. Point. Fire.

12 inches penetration in denim/gelatin. Expands to .46 caliber. That's plenty good for a 5-yard gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
LCP is my normal summer pocket carry.  Have a PPK I've carried on occasion and just picked up a SIG 232 that I will no doubt carry at some point in time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Ruger LCP II - as stated its not fun to shoot but I put at least 50 rounds through it every range trip. Have also carried a Sig 230 SL, Walther PPK in .380, an Astra 600 in .380, and a Walther PP in .32. The LCP II is accurate, reliable, very light, and overall a good balance of weight and lethality. If something happened to it I'd just get another one. No big loss. I blew the extractor out with my reloads, called Ruger, no questions asked and they sent a complete new slide. I'm not a plastic pistol fan at all but this one does well. Its also hammer fired which I like too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Bodyguard 380 is 100% reliable with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I think it has sights. But I've never used them. Its a 5-yard gun.

Whoever shoots FIRST wins.

Draw. Point. Fire.

12 inches penetration in denim/gelatin. Expands to .46 caliber. That's plenty good for a 5-yard gun.
View Quote

My best friend carries one of the Bodyguards due to his work environment; Hornady as well.  It actually has decent sights and is easier to shoot than the LCP but it's also slightly larger and heavier.  I've seen him pull it out of his pocket after a day of tractor work at the hunt club, covered in whatever we were doing (one time in particular I remember it had rye grass seed all over it despite having been in a Desantis Nemesis), and still empty the magazine with no problems.  I'd say it's a solid choice based on his plus what I've heard others say about them.  If the Bodyguard had been out when I bought my LCP there's a good chance I'd have bought it instead.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry an LCP when I can't carry anything else. I had a PPK/S for a brief period. It was fun to look at and hold, but the weight, recoil, and reliability made it inferior compared to modern options.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a G42 about seven years ago for daily carry.

I wanted a very low profile, very easily concealable, pocketable handgun for “on/off” carry.  That means; glovebox carry during my work commute and then some sort of at least minimal protection while walking to and from my parking lot.  Then “off” and locked in my desk once at work (my work place was a secure lab facility).

The G42 fit the bill perfectly except for the fact that I have never really liked the .380auto cartridge for self defense.

I retired about two years ago and now carry my G26 pretty much exclusively.  I have always carried the G26 on weekends and for any non-work related situations.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Had an LCP and LCPII for a few years, the LCP was kind of finnicky with ammo. About 80% reliable. Lived in a pocket holster while @ work for about 1.5-2 years, was a "Non-permissive environment".

The LCP II was sh*t, maybe 20% reliable, extremely ammo sensitive.

So, given the inherent cost/availability/variations in .380 ammo, I decided to ditch .380 all-together and stick with standard 9mm.

Sold the LCP and LCPII, the guy that bought my LCPII did send it back to Ruger, they replaced some parts, it now works a little better (100%? lol, no, but it now only jams every few mags rather than every 2 or 3 rounds...). Either way, not a fan of the .380 at all for the cost/availability, although I have a friend that swears by his Glock 42 and says its 100% for him (I don't think he shoots it much though)...

It's hard to beat an LCP in the lightweight, slim, easy to carry category. Just didn't do it for me...
/Sticking with my Glock 43, it lives in an Urban Carry holster (yes I know mixed/cringe reputation, but compared to pocket-carry, it has some excellent things going for it)
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I carried a Bersa Thunder 380 for a few years. Recently switched to the Hellcat pocket 9mm. Never looked back. The Bersa 380 was so much heavier than it needed to be, as well as being a lot thicker than alot the newer designed pocket guns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been known to carry a Beretta 84 FS.

It's probably not the greatest defense pistol, but 14 rounds of .380 doesn't leave me feeling helpless. It's a darn good gun.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#24]
For years I carried a Colt Govt .380, loaded with Cor-Bon hollow points.  Not so much now.  Nothing wrong with a .380 for personal protection.  Shot placement!
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry a Glock 42 when the need arises. It is also the pistol I carry while at home. For when I travel on business, I also tend to gravitate towards carrying the 42 due to the various types of attire I find myself wearing. With a neomag and a Veil Solutions Ghost Holster its just too easy to conceal practically at all times. Outside of these specific situations though I primarily carry a P30L.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Sig P230.   Very reliable.  Very concealable. Comfortable to carry.  Fits my hand well.  Points naturally.  

Painful to shoot.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#27]
+1 for LCP Max. Hard to shoot well, but still easier to shoot than any other true pocket pistols I've shot, except compared to something way underpowered like 22LR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]
.380 is a marginal self defense cartridge, so I think only carry it when I absolutely can’t carry a bigger gun.

So… my choice for the tiny hideaway gun is the LCP.
For 18 years now it’s my “I don’t have a gun.” gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I think I made a mistake buying my PPK/s  380ACP.  Sure, shot placement is critical, but in the heat of the moment of a self defense situation you just want to get a shot at mass, and 9mm will do better overall;  combine that with the fact that the tiny sights on a PPK/s are barely even visible and it just gets more difficult.  
Classy looking gun, and from a collector's perspective it's sweet, but not as functional IMO.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I carried a new PPK in 380 but couldn’t get past the S&W beavertail. Occasionally I can a P64 in 9x18 but the majority of the time I carry my 9mm P30SK.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's probably not the greatest defense pistol, but 14 rounds of .380 doesn't leave me feeling helpless. It's a darn good gun.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390133/IMG_0627_jpg-2664479.JPG
View Quote

And a great suppressor host.  My is a former State Police issue with night sights.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]

I daily a G42 about 80% of the time, otherwise its a G26 or G19.

I got it for jogging really, but ended up liking it a lot more than I thought and it shoots really well.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Pocket carry a Glock 42 or LCP Max depending on mood.  Shoot the 42 very well.  Max adequate.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a few different .380's when I first started carrying, i.e. PPK/S, Makarov, PA-63, but eventually I figured out that I could carry a 9mm just as easily. With the wide variety of small 9mm's available today, I don't see the point in carrying a .380.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did exactly this, about 15 years ago. I wanted to carry concealed, didnt have any money at all to speak of, and didnt know a lot at all about carry options or handguns. I knew small would mean easy to conceal. I had only personally handled a keltec .380, dont remember the model, but i knew it was tiny, and i also knew nothing about the brand. so I did brief googling, found the Ruger LCP, knew Ruger was a good brand. I found one for sale a couple hours from where I lived at a gun shop that offered an LEO discount (which was for sure eaten up by the distance i had to drive to get it), and bought it. Ordered a CHEAP nylon iwb holster on amazon that i used for a while, and actually re-sold later, and bought a used crossbreed hybrid holster for the LCP, which I still have and still carry sometimes because it doesnt get any more comfortable than that. Tiny little gun, with a tiny little extra mag to carry. Doesnt suck.

You are right though, the recoil is snappy, and i wouldnt trust myself to shoot it accurately past maybe 10 yards, but its better than carrying nothing for sure.

I do wish it had more capacity, as 6+1 isnt a lot, especially with that caliber. I also wish that it had the sights the newer ones have. Mine is the older gen one with basically non-existent sights.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
.380 is a marginal self defense cartridge, so I think only carry it when I absolutely can’t carry a bigger gun.

So… my choice for the tiny hideaway gun is the LCP.
For 18 years now it’s my “I don’t have a gun.” gun.
View Quote

110% agree with this entire statement.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390133/IMG_0627_jpg-2664479.JPG
View Quote

double stack? Hows the trigger? Ive never shot anything that says Beretta on it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I think I found my carry gun and it is none of the three I mentioned in my original post. I rented a Sig P238 at my local range to day and it was a joy to shoot! The recoil is very light and shot placement was better and more consistent than with my P320 9mm. Nice gun!
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Another vote for the SIG P238.  A pure pleasure to shoot and is oddly accurate for such a small gun, and completely dependable.  I also like the fact it has real pistol sights and not some plastic nub to look down.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Bicycle gun for decades.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Daily was a g19 for years then my siatca got bad. PT friend said it wasn’t sciatica but holster weight pressing on my nerve in my leg. It was exactly that. Changed to a pocket .380 and no limp. External holsters were better ish but not 100% cure but pocket solved it completly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Daily was a g19 for years then my siatca got bad. PT friend said it wasn’t sciatica but holster weight pressing on my nerve in my leg. It was exactly that. Changed to a pocket .380 and no limp. External holsters were better ish but not 100% cure but pocket solved it completly.
View Quote

I don't know if it will help you but two people I know who had broken their backs when they were younger swore by braces/suspenders (both of them were older guys with the no butt syndrome some guys have).  The suspenders allowed them to wear their belts looser so not as mucg  pressure on their backs.  Again, no idea if it might work for you but one of them carried a LW Commander most of the time and the other either a J frame or snubbie K frame.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Another Sig P238 here.

I bought it for summer carry, it's lighter and smaller than the ubiquitous and legendary Glock 19.

It shoots like a dream, not as snappy as a G42 that I sampled.  I did not like the P365 grip, did not feel comfortable.

Very accurate.  Night sights. Points naturally.

Can pocket carry or IWB easily.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I got a g42 to carry iwb when my g26 and g43 were too large.

At 25 yards, I shoot the g42 so much better than the g43, I think I’m going to dump the 43 and go with the 42 when I need something more concealable than the 26.

42 is both smaller/lighter than the 43. i shoot it so much better, I’m not really seeing the point of the 43 anymore.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Wife carries a Bersa Thunder.380 (a PPK-ish clone). She liked the way it felt in her hand and pointed. Since it’s larger than the pocket .380’s recoil is negligible for her.

I also picked up a Remington RM380 a few years back for a true pocket carry option and also something the wife could toss in her purse quickly if needed.

Recoil isn’t terrible since it’s a Browning action, but it definitely can be a little snappy.

I’ve been eyeing a Security 380 or LCP Max for the wife as they both offer better capacity and holster options for CCW.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I carry my LCP Max when I can’t carry a real gun, or when I’m laying around the house in sweats. It fits that role well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Same as most.  I pocket carry my LCP when I can't carry my Shield 9mm.  It's not my first choice, and it's not fun to shoot, but it's better than no gun.  I didn't buy the LCP as a range toy, but I DID specifically buy it to carry as a secondary carry gun.  I used to primary carry a S&W 9mm Compact.  Switched over to a Shield about a decade ago with a CYA holster as my primary carry gun.  I carried a Colt Mustang .380 for a while also (right before I bought the LCP).   The Colt was a lot nicer to shoot, but I like everything else about the LCP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Summer time pocket carry is my LCP 2. I have been thinking of getting the Max but there seem to be a lot of mag related issues that pop up and the LCP 2 has proven very reliable for me.

My wife purse carries an Ez380. That pistol is nice for what it’s designed for, being easy for a women to load and handle. However, the mag pops out while it’s holstered in her purse sometimes so it’s going to get replaced.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#49]
my wife picked up a p365 380. the 9 was a little too snappy for her. i’ve shot it a few times and love it. very accurate and easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes, because at the time, SC didn't have any form of open carry, and it was no secret that Charleston city cops would arrest you for printing. My LCP .380 allowed me to carry there without the dirty blue city goons ever knowing I was armed.

Our state is pretty messed up in a lot of ways.  It's one of the bluest red states in the south unfortunately.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top