Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2019 8:43:59 AM EDT
After the help of the HD gun thread I am need of a .380 picket pistol I can trust my life on. This will need to be a pistol that’s smaller and just thrown in the pocket of sweats or basketball shorts on occasion. Sometimes when I can’t sleep or up late doing homework, I’ll run to the gas station for chocolate milk and a can of dip. Usually just grab my Glock and throw it in my glove box. I’d actually like to carry something with me at all times.  I’ve narrowed it down to a few options and would love input. I know there are some that are known to be unreliable so this will have to be reliable and preferably under $500.  Would love to keep it between $250-350...

I’ve narrowed it down to these options...

Ruger LC380
Ruger LCR
S&W Body Guard
Or whatever is recommended. I will rent any recommendations and shoot them first before deciding.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger LCP-II if you're using a pocket holster, otherwise something DAO. I highly recommend the Hogue Hybrid Grip Sleeve for the LCP-II, big improvement in shooting comfort/accuracy. Carry any load using the XTP bullet.
I installed 13# recoil springs in all 3 of my LCP-II's and all have been 100%. Each of my primary carry mags also has the MagGuts +1 so they're 7+1.
HTH...

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger LCP-II if you're using a pocket holster, otherwise something DAO. I highly recommend the Hogue Hybrid Grip Sleeve for the LCP-II, big improvement in shooting comfort/accuracy. Carry any load using the XTP bullet.
I installed 13# recoil springs in all 3 of my LCP-II's and all have been 100%. Each of my primary carry mags also has the MagGuts +1 so they're 7+1.
HTH...

Tomac

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Tom_s_Ruger_LCPII_JPG-1179838.JPG
View Quote
@tomac how easy were the springs to put in?  And would it be an issue if I did the LCP without a holster in the pocket?  What DAO would you recommend?  Is the slide always super tight or does the spring break in and become easier to work?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@tomac how easy were the springs to put in?  And would it be an issue if I did the LCP without a holster in the pocket?  What DAO would you recommend?  Is the slide always super tight or does the spring break in and become easier to work?
View Quote
13# recoil spring is very easy to install, just swapping the factory spring for the new spring on the recoil spring assembly. Less than 5 minutes total.
LCP would be much safer to carry w/o holster than the LCP-II due to its DAO action (I prefer the LCP-II's SA-style trigger, but YMMV).
There are a number of quality DAO pocket .380's available, the LCP being one of the most popular. I suggest you rent/test-fire as many as you can before buying, there's a lot of personal preference involved.
The LCP-II's slide is easy to manipulate, the 13# spring makes it slightly harder to rack the slide. Much easier than the Kahr P380 I used to own. Make racking the slide part of your testing during the selection process along w/shooting comfort/accuracy, you may find you don't like what you thought was an obvious choice or like what you otherwise would never have considered.
Keep us posted!

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger LCP is my favorite. I really like the Ruger LCP II also, but don't feel it's as safe being that it's a single action only with no manual safety. Just has a Glock like trigger safety. But it's a hammer fired gun. The regular LCP is double action only which is far safer for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Regardless of what you carry a pocket holster is a must! Covers trigger for safety, helps orient the pistol in the pocket for consistency of draw. If you carry without a holster gun can and will spin around in the pocket as you move resulting in the gun pointing in a different direction than when you pocketed it.
I have pocket carried for decades, 25’s / 22’s in the old days ( beretta and walther TPH) then a seecamp .32) now have a Glock 42 ( on the edge of too big for pocket carry) and my favorite the Ruger lcp2. Mine has been perfectly reliable from day one and I can group with it just as well as I can with the Glock. I do not find the recoil snappy at all.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Regardless of what you carry a pocket holster is a must! Covers trigger for safety, helps orient the pistol in the pocket for consistency of draw. If you carry without a holster gun can and will spin around in the pocket as you move resulting in the gun pointing in a different direction than when you pocketed it.
I have pocket carried for decades, 25’s / 22’s in the old days ( beretta and walther TPH) then a seecamp .32) now have a Glock 42 ( on the edge of too big for pocket carry) and my favorite the Ruger lcp2. Mine has been perfectly reliable from day one and I can group with it just as well as I can with the Glock. I do not find the recoil snappy at all.
View Quote
Excellent advice!
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright guys thank you. I will shoot a few of them and report back with my decision here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two that I pocket carry.  The LCP II which comes with its own pocket holster already, and a Glock 42 with a Sticky Holster.  The LCP II is far more comfortable, but the Glock 42 is also fine.  Cargo shorts or jeans are my usual attire.  The Glock is by far easier and more pleasant to shoot.  The LCP II hurts your hand after a few magazines worth of shooting, and is less accurate.  With that being said, I carry my LCP II more than the Glock 42.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger LCP II with a De Santis pocket holster. I had problems at first but Ruger took care of it quickly. It’s my go to deep concealment gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the holster that came with my LCP Ruger and it works just fine.

I do keep the extra magazine in the off side pocket. It's not in a holster of any kind but it's the only thing in that pocket.

You guys carry the extra mag like that?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Before you make the final decision try one of these. I carried one for probably 20 years, and the only reason I don't know is cuz I found almost the identical gun in 9 mm and now I carry that.

Colt Mustang. Just enough weight that it makes .380 completely manageable in a pocket pistol.

The same holster that fits my micro 9 fits the Colt.

Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use the holster that came with my LCP Ruger and it works just fine.
I do keep the extra magazine in the off side pocket. It's not in a holster of any kind but it's the only thing in that pocket.
You guys carry the extra mag like that?
View Quote
I carry a spare factory LCP-II 7rd mag in a SnagMag in my front left pocket (LCP-II in right rear pocket in a DeSantis Trickster, wallet in left rear pocket, keys in front right pocket): SnagMag

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]
LCP.  My standard summer carry in cargo shorts.  I won’t say it’s a pleasant gun to shoot but it gets the job done. I have carried  a Walther PPK but it’s really too heavy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought two Remington RM380s, nice little pistols. Nice price too....
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I carry a spare factory LCP-II 7rd mag in a SnagMag in my front left pocket (LCP-II in right rear pocket in a DeSantis Trickster, wallet in left rear pocket, keys in front right pocket): SnagMag

Tomac
View Quote
Tomac:

Why did you choose the right rear pocket for the LCP instead of the more commonly chosen right front? No problems with sitting down?

I always worry, probably much more than I should, about retention and no position is safer than the right front pocket. I don’t even like carrying my wallet in a rear pocket. No concern about the inherently less protected rear pockets?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I ditched my LCP in favor of a Glock 42. In my pocket damn near everyday.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tomac:
Why did you choose the right rear pocket for the LCP instead of the more commonly chosen right front? No problems with sitting down?
I always worry, probably much more than I should, about retention and no position is safer than the right front pocket. I don’t even like carrying my wallet in a rear pocket. No concern about the inherently less protected rear pockets?
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks.
View Quote
I wear jeans 99% of the time and find it faster/easier to draw from the back pocket than from the front (YMMV). Back pocket carry doesn't bother me at all when sitting down, I don't notice it any more than any other wallet I've carried (again, YMMV).
My regular wallet is very thin so people see the LCP-II's bulge and think it's my wallet.
If I'm ever robbed, I'll hand them my wallet if the threat level is low or go for the LCP-II (as if I'm going to hand them my wallet) if I think the threat level requires deadly force on my part.
HTH...

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the Beretta Pico in the small pocket 380 class.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an LCP for such occasions where I can't carry anything else. I hate it, but it does work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have an LCP for such occasions where I can't carry anything else. I hate it, but it does work.
View Quote
This +1 with a Crimson Trace...
those occasions are rare though,
maybe a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Don’t discount the Kel-Tec P3AT. It only holds 6 rounds, but the gun is very small and works great. I’ll echo what others have said and mention a pocket holster is an absolute must.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#22]
LCP-II.  All stock for me an no function issues.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Kel-Tec, Smith and Wesson Bodyguard and RM380
They all work for me.
Interesting that I also have a Sig 230.  The Keltec has less recoil
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#24]
My favorite pocket .380 is a .32 acp
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Ruger LCPII
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Alright pocket holster will be added to the gun for safety and after realizing that yeah it’s pretty dumb to leave the trigger open like that. I would never ever recommend an uncle mikes for carry. However, would this be a situation where an unlce mikes would be GTg?
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alright pocket holster will be added to the gun for safety and after realizing that yeah it’s pretty dumb to leave the trigger open like that. I would never ever recommend an uncle mikes for carry. However, would this be a situation where an unlce mikes would be GTg?
View Quote
DeSantis isnt expensive particularly in the face of buying a gun specifically to run out to the convenience store
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
You may have to experiment with a number of different holsters to find the one that suits your particular needs. I went through over half a dozen different holsters for my LCP-II before finding the one that provided sufficient retention yet still permitted a smooth draw from the back pocket w/o binding/snagging (anyone want a bag of LCP-II holsters? ).
In my case it was the DeSantis Trickster holster for the LCP (they don't make the Trickster for the LCP-II), fit was close enough to work for my needs.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Like a few others, I carry my Glock 42 in a pocket holster nearly everyday.
My colder weather carry is often my G19, so I like the consitency of the 42.
It's almost too big for some pockets, though and I think an LCP II is in my future.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Simply Rugged has their pocket holster on sale for 25 bucks, Damn good price for a holster made this well.

Pocket Protector holster
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for LCP.  I had the LCP II but found it too harsh and for some reason, the original works better for me.

Neither are guns for long range days, but I think the LCP is a little easier.

Tried the Glock 42 and 43, just hasn't ever super accurate.   I've since moved away from all Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
In that price range, probably Ruger LCP or LCP 2.  I've had both and couldn't tell a huge difference but the LCP 2 does have better features.  I have a G42 and it shoots way better, very soft shooting, good trigger and accurate, much more so than the LCP/LCP 2 but it's also more pricey and a bit bigger, but still pocket size.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#34]
OP - Is a .380 caliber a requirement ? Or is it just the small size you are looking for ? Not to beat a dead horse but if it’s the size you are better served with something like a SIG P365 or a S&W 642 revolver. Both would slide easily into the front pocket with a holster.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP - Is a .380 caliber a requirement ? Or is it just the small size you are looking for ? Not to beat a dead horse but if it’s the size you are better served with something like a SIG P365 or a S&W 642 revolver. Both would slide easily into the front pocket with a holster.
View Quote
@bob9181

I do like the j frame I’ll add that to my list as I am always looking for a reason to get a new wheel gun.

I’ll keep this post updated as I continue my search for my pocket pistol. I may end up buying a couple and rotating them out depending on where and when I go out and season.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 3:14:01 AM EDT
[#36]
A Sig P290.  My wife can rack the slide and this baby shoots all the time.  I carry one in my pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster, my wife carries hers in her purse also in a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#37]
FPNI.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I pocket carry both the Kimber Micro .380, and the Sig p238. Both are outstanding reliable shooters and conceal very well. I use the Desantis Nemasis holster for both. The Sig is actually my wifes , and the Kimber is mine. I like the grip feel of my Kimber just a bit better than the Sig. My wife however feels exactly the opposite.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Compared my s&w 442 to a newly purchased springfield 911 in 380,
The 911 is much more pocketable, the lcp is even a little better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#40]
P238
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just bought two Remington RM380s, nice little pistols. Nice price too....
View Quote
I had one for about a year.  Zero issues.  Shot alot of Underwood +p and it handled it just fine. Trigger kinda blows, but it was extremely reliable, easy to rack and shoot (recoil wise)  needed cash so I sold it

Quoted:
Don’t discount the Kel-Tec P3AT. It only holds 6 rounds, but the gun is very small and works great. I’ll echo what others have said and mention a pocket holster is an absolute must.
View Quote
Quoted:
Simply Rugged has their pocket holster on sale for 25 bucks, Damn good price for a holster made this well.

Pocket Protector holster
View Quote
Ive carried a P3AT since 04 in a Simply Rugged pocket holster.

It can be ammo sensitive, mine hates flat points or ammo on the weak side.  But quality JHP has never given me an issue.

I like the 9rd mag for the P3AT.  I'll carry that as a spare or in the gun when I'm walkin around the house in pajama pants with a Desantis IWB.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Buds has lcp2 moonshine Camo for $170. I really like mine. If you get the lcp get the ruger extended mag. Makes it much easier to shoot.  I get fist sized groups at 10yds.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Got out today to shoot my newly acquired springfield 911 in 380-
Very impressed, shot pmc fmj and some xtp and ftx, all functioned perfectly.
Noticed the mag lines the ammo up real good to the feed ramp, i remember a kahr cw380 i had was way down from the feed ramp
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I got the 7 round ruger magazine for my lcp2. It’s a game changer for me. One more round is great but being able to get my pinky on the grip is just what it needs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Just wanted to update everyone. I’ll be going this coming Tuesday and I believe I’ll be getting an LCP2. A local shop has the FDE/OD Green model for $250. They’ll throw in a 7 round mag with it as a “regular”.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update everyone. I’ll be going this coming Tuesday and I believe I’ll be getting an LCP2. A local shop has the FDE/OD Green model for $250. They’ll throw in a 7 round mag with it as a “regular”.
View Quote
Range report!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock 42, the best shooting 380 I've had (vs. LCP/LCP2/CW380).  It's a bit bigger, but still pocket friendly and it shoots like butter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Update:

I will be going to the range soon to shoot it.  Haven't taken it out of the box yet, and bought an extra mag and a mag guts kit.  I hope to have time soon, very busy.  It wont be a crazy range report just a few hundred rounds to test function and only like 5 yards at most.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Glock 42, the best shooting 380 I've had (vs. LCP/LCP2/CW380).  It's a bit bigger, but still pocket friendly and it shoots like butter.
View Quote
This is what you should have done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked the Glock 42, but it's NOT worth $150 more than the LCP2.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top