Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2022 10:28:43 AM EDT
Looking for recommendations.  Never had one and think it's time.  I'm leaning towards an M&P since I have a few of those already but honestly, open to anything.   Plinking more than anything I imagine.  Also something easy to find a holster for.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I did not get to shoot it but handled a Glock in .22 and it was nice. I almost threw it in the air not realizing how light they were lol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot just about all of them.

Taurus TX22 and Ruger MK III/IV are the only ones I'd personally buy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My new hotness is the SIG P322, I love it and recommend it
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger MK4

Browning Challenger

Sig 322

Beretta 21A
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Reliability?  Ruger MKIV with some minor mods.

Shootability?  The Sig P322 gets good reviews. But it’s new.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Built like a freakin' tank. It'll out live your grandchildren. Great gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

What mods with the Ruger?  Had a Mark II way back when but liked it.  Getting interested in the IV
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Sig P322 or Taurus TX22.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What mods with the Ruger?  Had a Mark II way back when but liked it.  Getting interested in the IV
View Quote

Get the accurizing kit or the full competition kit if they still make it. Volquartsen as much as possible.

Only internal piece left stock in my MK III is the bolt itself. All other components have been upgraded to VQ.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a MKIV with Volquartsen internals and it’s not as reliable as my P322 or TX22.  It chokes on certain ammo.  My S&W Victory has a better trigger and more reliable out of the box than my MKIV.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I own a MKIV with Volquartsen internals and it’s not as reliable as my P322 or TX22.  It chokes on certain ammo.  My S&W Victory has a better trigger and more reliable out of the box than my MKIV.  
https://i.ibb.co/g7sLxwd/F6636055-D5-A8-4855-881-A-DC89-A21-DB08-F.jpg
View Quote

My MKIV with some VQ mods runs perfect with most ammo when it’s clean and lubed.  There is the problem, half to full box of suppressed CCI Standard and its no longer clean.

I’d like a gun that will go (much much) longer between cleaning with suppressed CCI Standard.  I’m realistic on the accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My MKIV with some VQ mods runs perfect with most ammo when it’s clean and lubed.  There is the problem, half to full box of suppressed CCI Standard and its no longer clean.

I’d like a gun that will go (much much) longer between cleaning with suppressed CCI Standard.  I’m realistic on the accuracy.
View Quote

I'll admit, I don't regularly clean this and all it runs is CCI Std.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I my MK 3 runs 800-1000rnds without cleaning and only a little lube half way before I begin getting consistent stoppages.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot the TX22 over 1400 rounds one day and didn’t lube it and it kept going.  Accuracy went to hell though.  Cleaned it and shot over 300 rounds through it the next day and accuracy went back to normal.  

Did the same with the Sig with similar results.  

After a couple hundred rounds my MKIV and Victory would need lube or need cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I own a MKIV with Volquartsen internals and it's not as reliable as my P322 or TX22.  It chokes on certain ammo.  My S&W Victory has a better trigger and more reliable out of the box than my MKIV.  
View Quote

My MKIV (Target model pictured above) is bone stock and has never has a FTF/FTE. Nothing. 100% dead nuts reliable, super accurate, trigger is fine, just flat out what I was looking for without a single complaint.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#17]
To the OP, the M&P full-size and compact 22’s are great pistol’s too.  They’re reliable but ammo picky.  They don’t readily come optic ready and mag capacity is low so I don’t really shoot them anymore.  I like shooting at 2” spinners at 20-25 yards and it’s hard for me with less than perfect eyes using iron sights.  With a red dot the TX22 and Sig are boringly accurate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Ruger MKIV with VQ Accurizing kit and the FN 502 are my favorites. The 502 is great out of the box being optics/light/suppressor ready with 15 round magazines and a good trigger.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Love my  MKIV, all stock.
I have a SR22 I bought for son when he was young, kind of a safe queen now. Fits smaller hands well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been very happy with my S&W victory. Very accurate and reliable out of the box no mods, and a good bit cheaper than similar quality guns ( mark IV and buck mark)
Anyone who makes kydex can mold a holster for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I shoot a MKIV for Steel Challenge ... if you are having weak ejection (where the bolt doesn't travel far enough to pick up a new cartridge) with SV, make sure to lube the hammer spring well, and try a VQ adjustable recoil spring pack... the pack comes with a standard, lighter, and heavier recoil spring

my pistol originally was a 22/45 Lite that came with a threaded barrel... I picked up a take off barrel from Volquartsen's Clearance site and now use a heavier 5 1/2 un threaded barrel as it swings better for me... I lube with Hornady One Shot dry lube, and

with the VQ trigger upgrade, the pull rivals that of my SW M41.... I use Striplin thumb rests
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To the OP, the M&P full-size and compact 22’s are great pistol’s too.  They’re reliable but ammo picky.  They don’t readily come optic ready and mag capacity is low so I don’t really shoot them anymore.  I like shooting at 2” spinners at 20-25 yards and it’s hard for me with less than perfect eyes using iron sights.  With a red dot the TX22 and Sig are boringly accurate.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have been very happy with my S&W victory. Very accurate and reliable out of the box no mods, and a good bit cheaper than similar quality guns ( mark IV and buck mark)
Anyone who makes kydex can mold a holster for it.
View Quote

Very happy with mine also
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, my Victory is more reliable out of box than my MK 3 target with VQ parts and my new MK 4 22/45 lite. Sadly, my $200 Kel tec p17 is more reliable than both, it’s my go to field pistol. My old buckmark camper 5.5 threaded feels the best in hand
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got three pistols for running with cans: S&W 2206, S&W Victory, and MKIV 22/45 Lite.  The first grossly moves POI with a can, the second runs fine for about 500rds of CCI Blazer but is a stone bastard to get clean compared to the Ruger.  Cleaning involves field stripping not to detail stripping.  I keep a can of One Shot cleaner/lube in the range bag to keep the rimfires running.  It is not nearly as effective on the Victory as the Ruger.  The Ruger will keep running without intervention for about 700-800 rds.  At that point I usually do a removal of the can whilst it's hot to avoid copious bad language later.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I've thrown more money in Volquartsen and Tandemkross parts at my Ruger MK IV 22/45 than what the gun originally cost at this point and I am more than disappointed in the reliability,  or lack thereof.
Routinely has failure to feed and eject now and I've replaced most internals with "quality" VZ parts now.  I've tried every combination of ammo and lube, parts then back to no parts. Worked on magazines as per the internet,  replaced parts on those as well.  Returned everything back to stock and it still will not run 100% even after fresh clean and lube.
I love shooting it suppressed more than any gun I own, but it's so disappointingly unreliable that I hardly ever shoot it now.
I'm about to try a Buckmark or Victory, just wish they made a 4 inch "lite" version.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
No P22 lovers in here? I inherited one that I’m excited to shoot suppressed whenever my can clears (should be any day now).
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Had many different hosts.
Buckmark is my favorite.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Taurus TX22

Mine has been amazing. Reliable, runs forever in between cleanings. It has a threaded barrel but I haven’t invested in a suppressor yet. I shot it a lot during the big ammo “shortage”.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Taurus TX22

Mine has been amazing. Reliable, runs forever in between cleanings. It has a threaded barrel but I haven’t invested in a suppressor yet. I shot it a lot during the big ammo “shortage”.
View Quote

Typically, a silencer will get it (or any gun, for that matter) dirtier, faster for you.  And as an added bonus, you get to clean the silencer too!

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#32]
@Lucretius76
Check your recoil spring adjustment.  I had all sorts of problems initially that was driving me nuttier.  Checked all the new parts I had installed and everything passed.  Then just happened to notice the recoil spring was not laying completely flat on the bolt.  Gave a couple of turns to the guide bolt so the flat 'tail' now had to be pulled toward the bolt face to install the spring assembly, which now lays flat and the gun runs until rimfire grunge stops it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:13:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Keltec cp 33 for the win.  Never going back to ruger or s&w after owning this little champ.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#34]
1911-22 and 94-22 makes a great time on the steel range. Sad to hear about the volquartsen. Was on my list.

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@Lucretius76
Check your recoil spring adjustment.  I had all sorts of problems initially that was driving me nuttier.  Checked all the new parts I had installed and everything passed.  Then just happened to notice the recoil spring was not laying completely flat on the bolt.  Gave a couple of turns to the guide bolt so the flat 'tail' now had to be pulled toward the bolt face to install the spring assembly, which now lays flat and the gun runs until rimfire grunge stops it.
View Quote

I will check this. Thank you for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Keltec cp 33 for the win.  Never going back to ruger or s&w after owning this little champ.
View Quote

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Only two things wrong with the cp33: the mags should come already extended to 50 round; the ASL Nest loader should be included, 'cause it sucks to load the mags any other way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Ruger MK series or S&W M&P .22 Compact.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#39]
TX22 would be my first choice given your needs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I have 2 ruger mk iv's (lite and tactical). Both are excellent, and have been very reliable. I shoot them for at least 200 rounds a week for years, and they probably have 10-15k rounds. The only malfunctions I've had are due to bad ammo, or insufficient lubrication (mostly when shooting suppressed). I drop some oil where the bolt rides, and they become reliable again.

I have 2 M&P 22c's (one for my wife who has trouble with 9mm, one for me to shoot a lot). Both are excellent, and extremely reliable. I shoot these a lot less since the mk iv's are so fun (especially the lite, which is upgraded with a volquartsen trigger). I've been shooting these a lot more recently. With more attention to the trigger press, they do well at hitting arrays of steel targets out to 25 yards. I should try shooting suppressed more to see how long these can go before they choak. By the way, you can get increased magazine capacity from Taylor Tactical.

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/sw-mp22c-16rd-mag-kit-p/200-16rd-0mpc.htm
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/mp-comp-12rd-follower-p/200-12rd-0mpc.htm
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/5pk-sw-mp22-comp-14rd-mag-upgrade-p/mp22-compact-14rd-upgrade-5pk.htm

I've tried the 14 round kits, and they work well. I have one in my wife's gun, and one as her backup mag. I plan to order the 12 and 16 round ones at the links above.

Also, FYI, I found it may not be a good idea to grease 22 pistols in cold weather. 22lr might not have enough power to cycle reliably for the first round with the grease I've tried.

I was looking at the p322 with great interest, and the reviews seem mixed. Does anyone say anything bad about the Taurus tx22? Edit: apparently yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21A7_iWxKk
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a Tac Sol upper MKIII 22/45 I love. It has a Burris Fastfire on it and stupid accurate. I have a full size M&P22 that is very reliable and I’m not a M&P fan of their larger bore pistols but I enjoy the 22 very much
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#42]
No mention of a Keltec P-17?  Mine has worked flawlessly is accurate and was a $230 pistol.  But, my Ruger Mark IV and Mark I are my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No mention of a Keltec P-17?  Mine has worked flawlessly is accurate and was a $230 pistol.  But, my Ruger Mark IV and Mark I are my favorites.
View Quote

I have browning, S&w and ruger MK. The little p17 has been 100%. Go to field pistol now, runs suppressed, easy to maintain.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#44]
My .22 host is a Browning Buckmark Camper. It's a bull bbl, so accuracy with or w/o the can is supurb. It feels like a "real" gun & not some POS plastic toy gun, IMO.

Buckmark Camper

Unlike Ruger, these don't require another $300-400 worth of upgrades to make it accurate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I just started a video series with my new rugged mustang. Will be running various suppressor loading thru 8 or so 22 pistols

First video: beretta 71
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#46]
For a basic plinker, the Ruger MKIV's or Browning Buckmarks are great, time tested designs that are great plinkers or comp guns with great aftermarket support (more so for the Ruger than the Buckmark). I also prefer them for suppressor hosts. The Ruger's offer you 2 different frame style choices. There are some other options in this group (Like the S&W Victory) but I think either the Ruger or Browning are your best bets in this category. I have the 22/45

For more of a tactical/training gun, again there are a lot of choices but the 2 most popular these days are the TX-22 and P322. I have both and they are very similar. Both have been 100% reliable for me but I don't shoot cheap bulk box ammo. The TX wins the price/performance category but if I could only have one, it would be the P322. I believe it to be slightly better made, has replaceable back straps to accommodate different size hands and it has a better optic mounting solution. Taurus could tie that last point up if they incorporate the same changes they made to the new compact version to the full size model. I think you will have better luck finding holsters in this style of pistol.

If you're a S&W M&P guy, the M&P22 is a decent choice but lacks the capacity vs the TX-22 and P322 and it doesn't have an optic mount option (that I'm aware of anyway?). S&W tends to play copy/catch-up alot so it wouldn't surprise me if they release a new/improved version of the M&P22 with higher capacity mags but even if that is the plan, who knows when that might actually happen?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For a basic plinker, the Ruger MKIV's or Browning Buckmarks are great, time tested designs that are great plinkers or comp guns with great aftermarket support (more so for the Ruger than the Buckmark). I also prefer them for suppressor hosts. The Ruger's offer you 2 different frame style choices. There are some other options in this group (Like the S&W Victory) but I think either the Ruger or Browning are your best bets in this category. I have the 22/45

For more of a tactical/training gun, again there are a lot of choices but the 2 most popular these days are the TX-22 and P322. I have both and they are very similar. Both have been 100% reliable for me but I don't shoot cheap bulk box ammo. The TX wins the price/performance category but if I could only have one, it would be the P322. I believe it to be slightly better made, has replaceable back straps to accommodate different size hands and it has a better optic mounting solution. Taurus could tie that last point up if they incorporate the same changes they made to the new compact version to the full size model. I think you will have better luck finding holsters in this style of pistol.

If you're a S&W M&P guy, the M&P22 is a decent choice but lacks the capacity vs the TX-22 and P322 and it doesn't have an optic mount option (that I'm aware of anyway?). S&W tends to play copy/catch-up alot so it wouldn't surprise me if they release a new/improved version of the M&P22 with higher capacity mags but even if that is the plan, who knows when that might actually happen?
View Quote

So the Taurus for "tactical and training" but the Ruger MIV for "basic plinking"?

Yeah, I 100% disagree.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So the Taurus for "tactical and training" but the Ruger MIV for "basic plinking"?

Yeah, I 100% disagree.
View Quote

I'm not saying you can only use one for one thing and not the other.

What I'm saying is, the TX-22 or P322 are designed to be and shine as 22 SD/tactical training guns but sure you can plink with them or whatever else you want to do with them too.

I guess you could try to use a Ruger Mark series or Buckmark as a SD/tactical training gun but it would be a poor choice for that purpose IMO but for just about anything else they are great.
Top Top