Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2018 11:04:36 AM EDT
Looking for The Iliad and The Odyssey, but not something translated into English and then re-worked into heroic couplets.

Looking for something translated into English that most closely matches the meaning of the original Greek version, rhyming be damned.

Anybody know?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I am partial to the Lattimore translation.

Here's a slightly different opinion:  https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/englishing-the-iliad-grading-four-rival-translations

If you read Attic Greek at all, take a look at the start of the poem and see what you think.  Honestly, I usually know within a few lines if a translation from any language, prose or poetry, is going to work for me.  Some feel lively; some feel leaden.

Also, A Companion to the Iliad, Willcox, will provide a ton of context.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
@vim

Thanks. I am reading the Samuel Butler 1898 translation for now, to understand the general storyline. Once finished, I will check out Wilcox's companion work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top