Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 8:29:32 PM EDT
one of the parts i hate most when buying a new car is negotiatiing.   when you buy a new car ,  after its all said and done, when you get home with your new ride, do you ever think you could have gotten a better deal?

i have known people that bought a new car and spent hours at the dealer.  they think they got a good deal , but a couple of days later the same vehicle is advertised for $1000 less than what they paid.   i mean in this kinda situation there is really nothing that can be done. Call the dealer asking for money back and they will probably tell you to go pound sand.

in reality , is there any way to really guarentee you got the best price?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No one gets a good deal on a new car, we are all fucked over.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I left knowing I lost

lots of people don't but they are in denial
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Costco cars? Car max?

At least a couple of ways to minimize the bloodbath
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Costco cars? Car max?

At least a couple of ways to minimize the bloodbath
View Quote
i actually know a couple of people that got a better deal than Costco Car buying  service
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The “best” deal is like Plato’s Forms: something to strive to but not something that actually exists in our material reality.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Nobody steals a new car.  They either pay a fair price or overpay.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a super low mileage 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW diesel, paid a fair price, might have been able to do better, definitely could have done worse. I got pretty much what I wanted on my trade in. Rolled the dice on the extended warranty but so far I'm 2 for 3 on Mopar vehicles and extended warranties.

I hate all the haggling, some people see haggling as a sport and enjoy it, I'm a show me the price and I'll decide if I want to pay it or not person.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
You do what you can in negotiation, make the deal, and pay what you pay.

Why are you going to waste time worrying about some shit you can’t change?  Life’s too short for that nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don’t know what you should be paying and what your trade is actually worth BEFORE you go in the dealership then yes you got a bad deal.

You shouldn’t step foot in the place without knowing the above
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Once I know what vehicle I want I pit several dealers against one another and let them fight it out. By the time I walk into the showroom I basically want to sign shit and get out of there.

Used vehicles are a bit harder to do that with however.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you don't know what you should be paying and what your trade is actually worth BEFORE you go in the dealership then yes you got a bad deal.

You shouldn't step foot in the place without knowing the above
View Quote
Truth, theses days the internet makes it easier. A few evenings of research and you're armed with a ton of information you can use when negotiating a price. I go to the dealer with a folder full of stuff: Bank pre-approval, what a bank would finance on my trade in, Credit scores, KBB/NADA values on my trade in, maintenance records, a list of comparable vehicles and prices from other dealers in the area, vehicle options pricing and what ever else I can use to negotiate a better price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Research the vehicle and know what to pay.  The dealer is counting on you becoming emotionally invested in the process.  Don't get emotional; make a fair offer and if they refuse walk away.  If your offer was fair they'll usually come crawling back after a few days.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Never walk into one of those rip off places in the first place. You know darn well it's bend over and spread those cheeks baby cause you taking it up the @$$.

It's their business to make money. Just look at the fancy dealership building and all those employee's. Guess who gets to pay for that, YOU. Please don't think your going to haggle your way into a deal. Those guys do that for a living numerous times a day. So don't be stupid and even walk on the lot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I won't sign if it isn't the price I wanted to get it for. And if I'm looking at the car at all it was already worth the effort for me to buy it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I always assume I’m getting screwed when buying a new car.

I bought a new one a year and a half ago, and I’m still perusing dealers and car gurus looking for a better deal, therefore proving I got screwed lol

I have seen one or two of the same vehicle/same options that may have come close, but still nothing matching the “deal” I got.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Kind of. My Honda yes. because I shopped it hard and got a lot of quotes. Other cars not as much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
one of the parts i hate most when buying a new car is negotiatiing.   when you buy a new car ,  after its all said and done, when you get home with your new ride, do you ever think you could have gotten a better deal?

i have known people that bought a new car and spent hours at the dealer.  they think they got a good deal , but a couple of days later the same vehicle is advertised for $1000 less than what they paid.   i mean in this kinda situation there is really nothing that can be done. Call the dealer asking for money back and they will probably tell you to go pound sand.

in reality , is there any way to really guarentee you got the best price?
View Quote
Yes, you can use CarGurus with a 500mile radius and be patient.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never once bought a new car. They depreciate some ridiculous amount as soon as you drive away.

I'll buy a 3-4 year old car or truck with ~40k miles on it and feel happy with myself.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
If you work for a large company, check to see what car buying deals they may have.  Lot of folks work for companies that have discounts in place that their employees can partake in.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nobody steals a new car.  They either pay a fair price or overpay.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a 2020 Ram the end of Dec. I went in thinking if the numbers don't work, I can walk. Spent 5 hrs at the dealer, 3 of which was a lot of back and forth on the value of my trade but we settled on a price I thought was fair.
Took much longer than I would have liked but for the first time in my life I drove out the dealership with a good feeling.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I buy vehicles because I need them, and then secondary, are tax implications.

In both of those situations, I won, except for the still spending the money thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]
2012 we bought the wife a 2013 Honda Pilot.  They don’t negotiate prices at Honda dealerships around here.  Take it or leave it after knocking off $500.  Trade in was the negotiating price.  After walking out after a $2500 offer on trade (2004 Odyssey) Carmax offered us $400.  We went back and took the deal.  

2015 Mustang GT- Ordered on the day the ordering bankers opened up.  Knew what options I wanted, walked in, placed order and left $500 deposit after giving them my X Plan PIN.  Ordered Premium package.   Two days later, Ford went up on the base price $2K or $2.5K.  I did good.   Son went car shopping for a GT Mustang a few months back. He said my car had prices still in the low $30K’s still.  I paid $36K.  52,000 miles later, cannot complain.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I pay a price I'm happy with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I figure out what I am going to pay before I go. Interwebs and all.

I am very picky on my cars. I always narrow it down to the exact color, model and package I want. I find it in stock somewhere and go in and buy it.
While I know that I could have saved some money by comparison shopping or driving a hard deal, my time is worth more than the money I would save.

I pretty much go in and go, "I'll take that one."  I offer about 10-20% below MSRP depending on the brand and what their costs are. They counter. I counter and we are usually done.  The last 3 cars I bought I was in and out in about 3 hours.

Then I never look back or think about it again. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I feel I got a good deal on my current vehicle. 49K MSRP, $40,200 OTD.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Typically yes...two family members in the car business. Vehicles are always purchased at wholesale.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I joined a forum for the specific vehicle I was shopping and it has a "price paid" tracking thread members use to gauge the validity of a deal they're getting.

When I bought my truck, nobody in the country had a better deal from my research. I feel pretty good about it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel I’ve gotten the best possible deal before I walk in.

Negotiating in person is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I feel I’ve gotten the best possible deal before I walk in.

Negotiating in person is a waste of time.
View Quote
Agree. I worked everything out in email, even before I went to the dealer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No one gets a good deal on a new car, we are all fucked over.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

Thing is, is it worth it to you, for me, yes, 2019 charger scat pack for $38K.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

Thing is, is it worth it to you, for me, yes, 2019 charger scat pack for $38K.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177719/20200201_210212-1260652.jpg

View Quote
Great color.

2019 Scat Pack A8, plus package, driver's convience group, alpine, nav, and sunroof. 40K.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't mind at the small town dealerships. Going to the city and looking at the 10 million dollar showroom and all the glitter and shine... well, no. I'd rather spend an extra grand and have the money float around going back into the community.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top