Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

what did you cook today? (Page 81 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
Yesterday we made an smoked chicken enchilada casserole.  Tonight is baked heroin chicken.  I have been told my seasoning blend is like heroin, so that is the label I put on the container.

Fresh built:

We usually make this if we have a mad stack of tortillas that are getting long in the tooth.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eowen370:
The final product was very good!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494374/20240211_164351_jpg-3126093.JPG

View Quote
DAMSON
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Yesterday we made an smoked chicken enchilada casserole.  Tonight is baked heroin chicken.  I have been told my seasoning blend is like heroin, so that is the label I put on the container.

Fresh built:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/IMG_3460_JPG-2835469.jpg

We usually make this if we have a mad stack of tortillas that are getting long in the tooth.

View Quote

That looks like a great week day meal!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Butter burgers... yup, just a burger with a shitload of butter on it. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Fresh built:

View Quote

That looks great. Recipe?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#7]

Pecan smoked mule deer jalapeño sausage,

Pecan smoked chicken

Ribeye deconstructed burrito bowls with street corn.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MainePure:

One of our favorite meals. I first had it at a place called Iguana Mia down in Florida about 20 years ago and became instantly obsessed with replicating it.  

https://i.imgur.com/F1UfKGW.jpg?1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
We made an easy one the other night that my wife got from Joanna Gaine's TV show.  sour cream enchiladas.  Simple but darn good.  Good use for leftover chicken or a store-bought rotisserie if they're on sale.

I think this was it:  https://www.tfrecipes.com/joanna-gaines-chicken-enchiladas/

One of our favorite meals. I first had it at a place called Iguana Mia down in Florida about 20 years ago and became instantly obsessed with replicating it.  

https://i.imgur.com/F1UfKGW.jpg?1

Travel back in time with me @MainePure

We're going back a couple years here but I have a couple questions and one comment, I don't think I replied at the time.  Your photo looks...perfect IMO.

Q1: What tortillas are you using, flour?
Q2: Do you have a recipe to share or a rough version if it's by eye?
Q3: Related to Q2, the parchment paper idea seems genius and yours look less mushy than our baking dish version.  Time and temp?
Comment:  My mom's side hails from Maine, my grandfather's side.  He was a bow hunter and outdoorsman, also a paratrooper in WW2.  All around badass.  I lived in Bowdoinham for a while.  Maine is a beautiful state, seeing your username brings me back.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

Travel back in time with me @MainePure

We're going back a couple years here but I have a couple questions and one comment, I don't think I replied at the time.  Your photo looks...perfect IMO.

Q1: What tortillas are you using, flour?
Q2: Do you have a recipe to share or a rough version if it's by eye?
Q3: Related to Q2, the parchment paper idea seems genius and yours look less mushy than our baking dish version.  Time and temp?
Comment:  My mom's side hails from Maine, my grandfather's side.  He was a bow hunter and outdoorsman, also a paratrooper in WW2.  All around badass.  I lived in Bowdoinham for a while.  Maine is a beautiful state, seeing your username brings me back.
View Quote

Thank you for reminding me I need to make this again soon! I eyeball pretty much everything, but I'll do my best.

I use corn tortillas, but flour work too. For the filling I use 1 shredded rotisserie chicken, sauteed onion, chili powder, cumin, S&P and a 2/3 cup of heavy cream. Cook together in a deep sided sautee pan over medium heat until most of the moisture has evaporated, set aside to cool, then mix in a bag of shredded pepper jack.

Sauce- 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour for roux in a sauce pan. Once you've cooked the roux to wet sand consistency, add 1 small can of diced green chilies, drained. Cook that out a bit, then add ~2 cups+ chicken stock while whisking and bring to a low boil. You want a thin-ish gravy consistency. Adjust w more stock if it is too thick. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup sour cream and a few dashes of hot sauce of choice. Season to taste.

Roll up your cooled filling in tortillas of choice, if you use corn you want to steam them to make them pliable 1st so they dont spit open when you fill them. Arrange in pan or sheet tray, then ladle sauce over the top, just enough to coat everything. I reserve some sauce for serving. Top with more shredded cheese then bake 350F for 25min until bubbly and cheese is melty and golden.

To serve, top w reserved sauce and garnish with thin sliced green onion and chopped cilantro.

Good luck! Family favorite here, and now my mouth is watering.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Plate ribs.

Seasoned

Attachment Attached File

On

Attachment Attached File

3 hours in. Need another two+ if possible.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:01:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#11]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Thank you for reminding me I need to make this again soon! I eyeball pretty much everything, but I'll do my best.

I use corn tortillas, but flour work too. For the filling I use 1 shredded rotisserie chicken, sauteed onion, chili powder, cumin, S&P and a 2/3 cup of heavy cream. Cook together in a deep sided sautee pan over medium heat until most of the moisture has evaporated, set aside to cool, then mix in a bag of shredded pepper jack.

Sauce- 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour for roux in a sauce pan. Once you've cooked the roux to wet sand consistency, add 1 small can of diced green chilies, drained. Cook that out a bit, then add ~2 cups+ chicken stock while whisking and bring to a low boil. You want a thin-ish gravy consistency. Adjust w more stock if it is too thick. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup sour cream and a few dashes of hot sauce of choice. Season to taste.

Roll up your cooled filling in tortillas of choice, if you use corn you want to steam them to make them pliable 1st so they dont spit open when you fill them. Arrange in pan or sheet tray, then ladle sauce over the top, just enough to coat everything. I reserve some sauce for serving. Top with more shredded cheese then bake 350F for 25min until bubbly and cheese is melty and golden.

To serve, top w reserved sauce and garnish with thin sliced green onion and chopped cilantro.

Good luck! Family favorite here, and now my mouth is watering.
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#13]
Lunch!

Bacon wrapped raviolis and then a sausage with onions and peppers sandwich. The more red ones have some additional seasoning.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Shrimp in butter and onion strings.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#15]

The ravioli looks awesome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Did you cook the onions on the blackstone?   They look tasty!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#17]

That looks like it would make a killer poboy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Did you cook the onions on the blackstone?   They look tasty!
View Quote

No.  Fried on the side burner on my gas grill.  I have fried on the Blackstone before in foil pans as an experiment.  It's extremely inefficient.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Ends from left over dino ribs from the other day.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]
A nice skirt steak.

Attachment Attached File

EAA Witness for scale
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Just tucking into a bowl of chili right now.

I tried straining the pepper puree this time and it is my best batch yet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/1000010490_jpg-3150480.JPG
View Quote

Looks great! I'd tear that bowl up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Parents got me a new air fryer for my birthday, so I thought I'd try some chicken thighs in it.  

This is the way.   Almost as good as cooked over coal on the grill, but certainly a lot easier.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/1000010490_jpg-3150480.JPG
View Quote

For someone with boxed jambalaya as an avatar... you look like you have this chili thing down! That looks great.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

For someone with boxed jambalaya as an avatar... you look like you have this chili thing down! That looks great.
View Quote

Thanks!   This is my 4th batch making this style.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

Fresh built:

@hobs98

Leftover chicken of your choice chopped/shredded
california chili powder
cumin powder
chopped hatch chiles
shredded cheese, Mexican blend
mild enchilada sauce

I start with ench sauce on the bottom of the pan and add the first layer of torts cut into 2" ribbons with a pizza cutter.  Then add a layer of all the things and start the next layer.  I usually go with 4 layers and the top layer is only covered with cheese and sauce.  I add chili powder and cumin directly to the chopped chicken if I can remember, although not required.  

I also highly recommend tamale pie, made from Cowboy Kent Rollins recipe.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
@hobs98

Leftover chicken of your choice chopped/shredded
california chili powder
cumin powder
chopped hatch chiles
shredded cheese, Mexican blend
mild enchilada sauce

I start with ench sauce on the bottom of the pan and add the first layer of torts cut into 2" ribbons with a pizza cutter.  Then add a layer of all the things and start the next layer.  I usually go with 4 layers and the top layer is only covered with cheese and sauce.  I add chili powder and cumin directly to the chopped chicken if I can remember, although not required.  

I also highly recommend tamale pie, made from Cowboy Kent Rollins recipe.  
View Quote

Thank you, wildearp
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Fired up my offset smoker today for the first time in a while.  3 different kinds of ribs.  Alton Brown's baked beans in the oven.  Podnah's wife brought corn on the cob, a potato dish, and Red Lobster biscuits.  Nobody left hungry.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#29]
Hawaiian fried rice

Rice, shrimp, bacon, white sesame, black sesame, egg, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, nori, green onion, spam, Thai chilis, stir-fried fresh pineapple
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Hawaiian fried rice
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/IMG_8464-3155737.jpg

Rice, shrimp, bacon, white sesame, black sesame, egg, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, nori, green onion, spam, Thai chilis, stir-fried fresh pineapple
View Quote

No Spam. It's not really Hawaiian if it doesn't have Spam.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

No Spam. It's not really Hawaiian if it doesn't have Spam.
View Quote

Oh it’s got spam all right…
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Annarchy] [#32]
He wanted his green chili burritos, made with some of the 11 lb brisket, cooked 9 hours.

I vacuum sealed each packet of thin sliced brisket, for sandwiches, etc. Defrosted a few pkgs. enough for 12 burritos.  Defrosted a pkg of home roasted Hatch green chilies, sautéed some diced boiled potatoes, sprinkled some onion powder, pepper and salt on the potatoes while they sautéed.  Also, roasted a jalapeño on the stove , peeled and diced, added it to the green chilies and dumped it into the potatoes, sautéed a few minutes added the meat, covered and steeped, while lightly toasting 12 tortillas.  Put them on a plate, when they were done, flipped the plate over, coldest on top, to handle filling.  Returned to the pan, to toast the outside.

He wanted guacamole on a few. Brought home 2 hard avocados…I nuked the softest one 10 seconds…rested it a few minutes and nuked it another 10 seconds.   Rolled it in my hands, and the skin split…Wow, that’s definitely something I will remember, the avocado was hard.  It mashed up perfectly and didn’t taste green.  So, he got 4 with guacamole.  

Attachment Attached File

6 will be vacuum sealed….  As long as I don’t over seal them….  LOL!!!!  He asked me, “What did these burritos ever do to you?”  I replied, “What?”  He brought out one of the last batch I cooked and vac sealed…….OMG!  It was 1/2” thin….   I didn’t stop to think sealing them would make them shrink that much!  Sigh.

My bad….I did the same to cinnamon rolls…they were…WERE…. 6” tall, ended up 1/2” tall…he calls them hockey pucks.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:20:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#33]
Tonight, taco tuesday.  Smoked pulled pork steet tacos with all the fixings.

Later, came the Chinese egg fried rice.  I have been studying the technique from the toobs and mostly Uncle Roger.  I have the right tools, seasonings, ingredients, and the proper wok techniques.  I am very close to perfection.  I forgot the MSG.  It really doesn't need it.  No pics, it cooks up hot and fast.  My executive assistant and sous-chef was unavailable for photos, but soon

Chinese egg fried rice deserves it's own thread.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#34]
Hawaiian fried rice

View Quote
Bruddah!

This is one hell of a thread!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Bruddah!

View All Quotes
Hawaiian fried rice

Bruddah!

My kids ate all the leftovers before I could get any the next day.

They’re like freakin’ buzzards.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#36]
I didn't take any pics, but it's one of my family's faves: braised meat for tacos with pickled red onions. I adapted it from one I saw on ATK to be a little more authentic. The recipe is for a pork butt, but it works almost as well with a pack of chicken thighs (which is what I used this time).

Here's the current version from my cookbook. I need to take pics next time I do it with pork, as the pork version is more photogenic.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Achiote paste or sauce (note: this is my adaptation, so I'm not sure on the amounts. The liquid achiote marinade comes in a bottle, and I just use the whole thing; it's easier, but costs a little more than the paste. The paste... is more like a block. I just break off a few pieces, so I'm not sure how much I use. I'll start measuring it in the future).
1-½ cups water
¼ cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1-½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
5 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
1 (2-1/2 to 3 pound) boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks (Pork butt roast is often labeled Boston butt)

ETA: The OJ and lime are subs for the Mexican bitter orange, which isn't available here. If you can get those, use them instead.

FOR THE PORK: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.

Add garlic, cumin, oregano, ­allspice, and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in Achiote paste/marinade, water, orange juice concentrate, 2 tablespoons vinegar, Worcestershire, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper, scraping up any browned bits.

Add pork and bring to boil. Transfer to oven, uncovered, and cook until pork is tender, about 2 hours, ­stirring once halfway through cooking.

Transfer pot to stovetop; discard bay leaves. Using potato masher, mash pork until finely shredded. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until most of liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.

Off heat, stir in remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on tortillas with pickled red onions, habanero sauce, and lime wedges.

FOR THE PICKLED RED ONIONS: Meanwhile, place onion in a medium bowl. Bring 1 cup distilled white vinegar, ⅓ cup sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt to simmer in small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Pour over onions and cover loosely. Let onions cool completely, about 30 minutes. (Onions can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Today was Dad's birthday, so we fried up a bunch of white perch and bass fillets my sister in law dug out of her freezer.  Paired that with some freezer section fries, boiled shrimp, brownies, and an apple pie.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#38]
Couple of pork tenderloins…

Became vietfood

Was originally going to be Banh mi, but the wife said no to bread.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/IMG_8490-3163919.jpg

Became vietfood

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/IMG_8489-3163923.jpg

View Quote

If inviting one's self to someone else's house for dinner was socially acceptable, you'd be seeing me this summer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#40]
This is how we're starting off today. Three tiny eggs, provolone, sautéed onions, avocado, bacon and salsa.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Sunday lunch from the Lombardia region of northern Italy...

Asparagi alla milanese

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/IMG_8490-3163919.jpg

Became vietfood

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/IMG_8489-3163923.jpg

View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
This is how we're starting off today. Three tiny eggs, provolone, sautéed onions, avocado, bacon and salsa.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42439/20240324_051306_jpg-3167813.JPG
View Quote

That looks awesome
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Beefy Mushroom soup & bruschetta

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Last night I did blackened chicken and a big ol’ pot of pinto beans. Both need to be tweaked a little, but were solid techniques.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Halibutt:
Sunday lunch from the Lombardia region of northern Italy...

Asparagi alla milanese

https://i.imgur.com/kFrTpPR.jpg
View Quote

I love everything about this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Beefy Mushroom soup & bruschetta

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494374/20240324_161014_jpg-3168306.JPG
View Quote

Man I love bruschetta. Reminds me it's about time to grab another basil plant.  I have one from last year,  but they get a little scragley after a while.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Tandoori spiced chicken and Indian rice. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Halibutt] [#49]
Friday's dinner from Cetara on the Amalfi Coast in the Campania region of southern Italy...

Spaghetti con colatura di alici

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Made two different BBQ sauces this morning:  Franklin BBQ's and Meathead's.  Franklin's is pretty simple with only a few ingredients and its tasty.  Meathead's is a whole nother level.  Very good without being too sweet.
Page / 83
what did you cook today? (Page 81 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top