Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/6/2023 10:35:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for interest.  This may be exactly what my dog has, and I'd never heard of it before myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fish223:

Vet said it has a very characteristic presentation. They call it a "goose honk" cough, and in retrospect it fits. The dog coughs, and does the mouth motions like they are trying to dislodge an object, but no other symptoms of any sickness, and no evidence of a foreign object.

Vet told me the diagnosis, I'm like huh? that's a problem that  babies and very small children have, and they outgrow it as the trachea gets firmer and larger. He's like, yeah, well, airways are airways, and in dogs the cartilage can weaken with age to partial collapse. Who knew?
View Quote

Yeah, that sounds worryingly close to what our aging dog has been doing for a bit.  We had mentioned it to our normal vet and it didn't seem to provoke any interest, so no alarm bells went off.  What you describe and then what I've found with some basic level research has me very much wanting to have a second opinion.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Vet said it has a very characteristic presentation. They call it a "goose honk" cough, and in retrospect it fits. The dog coughs, and does the mouth motions like they are trying to dislodge an object, but no other symptoms of any sickness, and no evidence of a foreign object.

Vet told me the diagnosis, I'm like huh? that's a problem that  babies and very small children have, and they outgrow it as the trachea gets firmer and larger. He's like, yeah, well, airways are airways, and in dogs the cartilage can weaken with age to partial collapse. Who knew?
View Quote

Just to follow up on my end.  This thread got me to go in and have my dog checked.  She does have it and we now have her on meds to treat it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]

That's great.
Ours improved to almost zero with the steroids. Now it is very sporadic, to the point we are trying to figure out if there might be a specific trigger.

Very strange.

What meds did they recommend?
View Quote

I honestly don't remember what it was called (I took the dog in, but my wife picked up the doggy dope).  It seems to have reduced the issue noticeaby, but she still coughs a couple times a day.  She is getting old and others may say its not worth it, but I see it as a quality of life issue and I can afford to spend a few bucks now and then ensuring our dog can enjoy the time she has left as much as possible.  I don't think ours has a specific trigger so much as a large number of triggers (getting over excited or any pressure on her neck being the most common).
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top