Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2021 9:14:34 AM EDT
Home depot has a universal thermocouple that I can get. According to the website it will work on appliances. My question is should I get the universal unit or order the replacement from an appliance parts store. Am I over thinking this one ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless it is a commercial type stove/oven
I have not seen a regular thermocouple on a domestic oven in 30 years
Maybe a flame switch or electric glow ignition
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Now I'm confused. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I'll check the parts diagram I found and try to figure this out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Brand and year made
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#4]
oven temp sensor [ohms change as temps increase or decrease] or thermostat with temp probe. [old style, uses liquid that expands or contracts with heat that operates the attached thermostat]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazon universal for the win.

My local appliance store wanted $80 for what Amazon had for $15

That is for a thermocouple that senses if the pilot light is lit in order to allow the gas to switch on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a whirlpool. I'm going to try to clean the igniter. Apparently the igniter sends a signal to the gas valve. So there is no thermocouple involved.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a whirlpool. I'm going to try to clean the igniter. Apparently the igniter sends a signal to the gas valve. So there is no thermocouple involved.
View Quote

Is it the type that sparks twice and if it doesn't ignite it shuts down for 5 minutes or so and tries again?

If so, remove it, carefully clean it with emory paper and adjust it so it's closer to the burner. They tend to warp away from the burner as time passes and it's a very unforgiving system when it comes to ignition. Make sure the point on the protective surround is lined up with the electrode and the edges of the surround it is on are even with the other sides of the surround. Easy to remove and only one lead to remove, remove the entire burner and then remove the electrode from that. Use a drop of penetrating oil on the screws before you remove it as they threads will strip easily and the temp swings will lock it in place.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I opened up the bottom of the oven. When I turn the oven on the igniter arcs and lights the burner tube. When the flame travels from the ignitor side around to the opposite end of the burner
the gas shuts off and just goes out.

There's no problem with lighting the oven, just keeping it running
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, I opened up the bottom of the oven. When I turn the oven on the igniter arcs and lights the burner tube. When the flame travels from the ignitor side around to the opposite end of the burner
the gas shuts off and just goes out.

There's no problem with lighting the oven, just keeping it running
View Quote

It's not reading back to the board telling it that the burner actually lit. The flame is the electrode voltage path to ground, [burner] clean it. It has to get a read within a couple seconds, if it doesn't, the board will cut power to the valve.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's not reading back to the board telling it that the burner actually lit. The flame is the electrode voltage path to ground, [burner] clean it. It has to get a read within a couple seconds, if it doesn't, the board will cut power to the valve.
View Quote
I'll try that, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll try that, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try that, thanks.

Flames conduct electricity very nicely.
That is how all those high voltage starters know when to stop sparking.
There is usually a larger burner hole adjacent to the igniter contacts.

When the burner ignites the flame leaks enough voltage to shut off the igniter circuit.

It is a great improvement over the capillary tube systems, and the original low voltage igniter sense circuits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top