Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2019 1:27:16 PM EDT
Any reason that using the HDMI audio return channel (ARC) wouldn't work with a system that uses an HDMI over coax extender?

We bought a house, and the previous owners had installed a nice a/v system with surround sound and they left some of the components for us.  It works great when using a cable box, but I can't get audio from streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) back to the receiver to go through the speakers.  I have tried it using a long temporary HDMI cable and it works fine.  The tv and a/v receiver are on separate walls, so I'd really like to make this work instead of dragging a cable across the floor when we stream a movie.

So I'm thinking that maybe this extender won't support ARC?  I don't know anything about the equipment since I didn't buy or install it.  The extender is a Vanco EVEX2004.  I suspect it is pretty old.

Anyone else have a similar setup?
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
2X,

I think you are correct that the extender model you have does not support ARC technologies.  I read the manual for the model in your post - nothing specific about ARC technology, however they DO make another model that does support ARC devices.

LINK HERE.

Should be an easy swap for this newer one.....

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks @CMOS.  I figured I would reply to this thread for posterity before it got archived.

I actually had a bit of dialogue with Vanco, and the short of it is that they don't make an extender that uses coax that will support ARC.  That model you linked is what they recommended, but it would require a run of Cat5/6.  I wanted to avoid that due to the layout of my room and existing equipment locations.

Being the cheapskate that I am I just elected to buy a Roku.  That was a cheaper solution than buying the new extender and running the ethernet.  I was able to put the Roku adjacent to my A/V receiever, connect it with an HDMI cable, and everything worked just fine.  I'm giving up a little image quality, but it's more than good enough for my purposes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top