Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 8:58:01 PM EDT
went to the gym today for the first time in a month or so since getting my home gym.

everything felt like it was made of paper, so much lighter lol.  275 incline bench for reps over a few sets, 445 squats felt like 315.

at home i feel like I'm almost always at 95% or more of my capacity and killing myself with stuff i was having no issue with before.

and their plates are all old school ivanko so pretty decent stuff compared to my mismatched cap and no name plates
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's the social element / thinking you're being watched while at the gym. Puts your mind in a heightened state.

I find I do a little better when I'm filming a lift, I think for the same reason (someone might see this one day .

On the other hand at home I can take my shirt off if I want. I can crank the music and don't have to wear ear buds. I can rest between sets as long as I want, sitting in a lawn chair . I can focus a lot better. I can bathe in CHALK. My equipment is better. Snort lines of creatine & preworkout between sets etc.

On the balance I prefer working out in the garage these days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You just described normal behavior at my gym.
They have a few busted metal folding chairs though.  Nothing fancy like a lawn chair.

I love having a garage gym but I definitely have my best sessions at the actual gym.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Increased testosterone and blood-flow brought on by yoga pants at the adjacent squat rack.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
When you think people are watching you try harder.

I used to always do better in games than I did in practice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
i just got 425 on the bench yesterday at the gym.  there was good sized group and i do think that made a difference.  just kept walking it up from 385, and powered through a small stall right off the chest.  

at home today 225 incline bench felt heavy af.

my all time previous record was 430 back in 2019 before my first bicep tear.  I'm really happy with my progress back in the last few months, didn't take nearly as long to get back up.  i think i could easily hit 450 by June.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive always wondered if gyms had bogus weights...
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
went to the gym today for the first time in a month or so since getting my home gym.

everything felt like it was made of paper, so much lighter lol.  275 incline bench for reps over a few sets, 445 squats felt like 315.

at home i feel like I'm almost always at 95% or more of my capacity and killing myself with stuff i was having no issue with before.

and their plates are all old school ivanko so pretty decent stuff compared to my mismatched cap and no name plates
View Quote

This might be the root of your discrepancy. I suggest weighing your plates and you might be surprised at how “off” they may be. Unless you have calibrated plates the number on the plate may not be the number your actually lifting and that can add up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I just sold most of my mismatched plates that i acquired over time.  Some were cap, some just casted standard etc...  they were really loose on my bar and would slide around a lot of i didn't use collars.

I got a 6x 45s 2x35s and 4x25s of the rogue deep dish plates that are guaranteed within a certain tolerance and the fit is much better.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just sold most of my mismatched plates that i acquired over time.  Some were cap, some just casted standard etc...  they were really loose on my bar and would slide around a lot of i didn't use collars.

I got a 6x 45s 2x35s and 4x25s of the rogue deep dish plates that are guaranteed within a certain tolerance and the fit is much better.
View Quote

Also, did swapping out the plate make any difference? I wouldn’t mind picking up a couple Deep dish plates one of these days. I’m just using the “Cheap”, “Rogue Olympic Plates” Cast Iron as that’s all I could find when I needed some plates. They work and get the job done, within the tolerances. A few aren’t super pretty, but that’s okay. I just like the deep dish. I’ll probably pick up a couple later down the road.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Every now and then I think about weighing all of my cheap shitty plates but I’m lazy and also think it would probably just piss me off.

I really haven’t noticed any difference on my lifts between home and gym, even the press. I figure that means they can’t be too far off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive always wondered if gyms had bogus weights...
View Quote

My first thought, just like slimming mirrors at women's clothing stores.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top