Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 2:34:41 PM EDT
I am looking to start buying some nice knives for the kitchen. So far what I keep going back to are the shun premier knives, but I also have been looking at the classic. Any reason to go with one vs the other? Or what is your favorite in that price range. I am not looking for a set but to start with just a few key knives.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife has been happy with the Wusthof classics I got her.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Email sent regarding Shun knives.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like my set of Cutcos Cutco.com. I bought my set at Costco not from the guy who knocks on your door.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my Shun Classic chefs knife.  I am not a chef, it serves my purposes well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my Shun Classics but I won't buy another. They pulled a classic bait and switch on their customers by offering their free sharpening for life then they quickly backtracked and started charging for the service after many had bought them. Royally pisses me off, not bc I can't sharpen a knife, but purely out of principle. I wanted to be able to send them in every 4-5 yrs for a factory touch-up. I suspect many that aren't capable of sharpening were abusing the system at commercial levels. So implement a limit on how often, don't stab your customers in the back!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my Shun Classics but I won't buy another. They pulled a classic bait and switch on their customers by offering their free sharpening for life then they quickly backtracked and started charging for the service after many had bought them. Royally pisses me off, not bc I can't sharpen a knife, but purely out of principle. I wanted to be able to send them in every 4-5 yrs for a factory touch-up. I suspect many that aren't capable of sharpening were abusing the system at commercial levels. So implement a limit on how often, don't stab your customers in the back!
View Quote

It's free sharpening--they just charge for the return shipping.  I've been a dealer for several years and it's $5 for the first knife and $2 for each additional knife for Fedex.  Considering what shipping costs, that's a pretty good deal.  They're in Oregon, so they're probably losing money shipping east of the Mississippi River at that rate structure.  

Do you think they should eat the return shipping for every knife they've ever sold??  In any case, that's dirt cheap considering what a knife sharpening service charges.

https://shun.kaiusa.com/sharpening
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's free sharpening--they just charge for the return shipping.  I've been a dealer for several years and it's $5 for the first knife and $2 for each additional knife for Fedex.  Considering what shipping costs, that's a pretty good deal.  They're in Oregon, so they're probably losing money shipping east of the Mississippi River at that rate structure.  

Do you think they should eat the return shipping for every knife they've ever sold??  In any case, that's dirt cheap considering what a knife sharpening service charges.

https://shun.kaiusa.com/sharpening
View Quote

Oh cool! It looks like they back-tracked that policy! That removes most of the vile taste from my mouth... but still leaves me skeptical that it will remain that way.

To answer your question no, they shouldn't have to pay for shipping. The policy you linked is much like the policy before they stopped the program; they never ate the shipping cost. It was free sharpening, you pay return shipping. Then several years ago they changed the policy to a price per inch of blade plus return shipping. And the sharpening wasn't even done by them, it was "a company we have partnered with to provide this sharpening service".
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my Shun knives but just know that Japanese steel is brittle and will chip fairly easily. Shun will also sharpen your knives once a year for free for the life of the knife. The edge holds like a razor and you need to maintain them pretty meticulously. German/Austrian steel is tougher and a bit more forgiving such as Wuustof or Henkel. All depends on what kind of cooking you do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By deputytrueblood:
I love my Shun knives but just know that Japanese steel is brittle and will chip fairly easily. Shun will also sharpen your knives once a year for free for the life of the knife. The edge holds like a razor and you need to maintain them pretty meticulously. German/Austrian steel is tougher and a bit more forgiving such as Wuustof or Henkel. All depends on what kind of cooking you do.
View Quote

It's more the bevel than it is the steel.  Asian knives have a 15-16 degree bevel on each side vs. western knives which are 22-24.  So that's a 30-32 vs. a 44-48.  Shun makes a classic western chef's knife for hacking on bones, chopping nuts, etc to match their set, but otherwise, you should just be using them on meats, fruits, vegs, etc.  I keep a Victorinox in the drawer, but otherwise, I can still do 95%+ of what I want to do safely with my Shun's and not have to worry.  I've never sharpened my Shuns.....I just run them across a steel every few weeks.  They are still as sharp as the identical brand new ones I have in my store.  You don't need to "meticulously" maintain them......you just can't be using them like an hatchet.  With proper knife skills and a cutting board, then will stay sharp indefinitely with steeling.

For reference, the Shun classic and premier lines are 34 layers of damascus on each side.....68 total.  VGMAX which is their version of VG-10.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't mean to be condescending, but I honestly don't know what you would do with a knife where you would chip the edge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Shun knives but just know that Japanese steel is brittle and will chip fairly easily. Shun will also sharpen your knives once a year for free for the life of the knife. The edge holds like a razor and you need to maintain them pretty meticulously. German/Austrian steel is tougher and a bit more forgiving such as Wuustof or Henkel. All depends on what kind of cooking you do.

I don't mean to be condescending, but I honestly don't know what you would do with a knife where you would chip the edge.

I dropped one or two and chipped near the tip. After a trip for sharpening can't even tell. Could have probably touched them up myself but it had been years of ownership. They were due either way. I don't baby mine and that's the only time in maybe a decade of ownership I've had the issue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

People love them. I have Wsthoff knives, but I have friends that use Cutco, and they will never use anything else.
Huge fan following. I'm assuming they are very good knives
View Quote
I despise them after getting "recruited" to sell them. Slimy bastards.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By coctailer:

People love them. I have Wüsthoff knives, but I have friends that use Cutco, and they will never use anything else.
Huge fan following. I'm assuming they are very good knives
View Quote

Cuoco has a huge following bc of their marketing tactics years ago that has created a cult like following around them. They are better quality than Walmart so people think that is a good knife, totally ignorant of the fact that the "ceiling" for knife quality is actually much, much higher.

For what you actually get they are overpriced, but still usable.

I think to understand the following you have to understand there are multiple types of knife user. There is the person like my mother, she thinks knives are invincible, and the factory edge is the only edge ever needed. She doesn't own a sharpener and all knives get tossed in a drawer together. Knives are used to slowly hack through things. She would think highly of Cutco bc they hold an edge pretty well for what they are. Then you have me, I like mine sharp. I sharpen, use, clean, & store correctly for maximum life. I think Cutco is limited in usefulness. In my house they would be relegated to deboning meat, and camping (where my good knives don't go).
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I don't mean to be condescending, but I honestly don't know what you would do with a knife where you would chip the edge.
View Quote

Drop it on the tile floor like I did. I can re-profile and resharpen myself though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Drop it on the tile floor like I did. I can re-profile and resharpen myself though.
View Quote

It happens and I don't fault the knife. When I was a meat cutter we used the typical commercial soft steel knives. We would have to steel them every primal and still do a proper sharpening every few days. They never cut great but could take a beating. I'd never use them at home and never use Shuns in the shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top