Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2020 2:12:02 PM EDT
I purchased a complete lower with a stock and it started life as an SBR but was reversed per the lgs. can i build this lower as a pistol if I replace the stock with a brace? or does it still classify as a rifle receiver still?

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
just wanted to see what some of you guys have to say about this to help clear this up for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If it started life as a rifle, you're boned. The rule to remember is first a rifle, always a rifle.

If it had started life as a pistol, was converted to an SBR and then you wanted to convert it back, there's an argument for that; as it stands, it can never legally be a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Once a rifle always a rifle.

Pistol to rifle or SBR may revert to pistol.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to nitpick, but "once a rifle" is incorrect--as the rest of your post illustrates. "Once a rifle" came from a time prior to the TC case that established going from a pistol to a rifle and back was acceptable. The correct phrase would be "First a rifle..."
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
it started life as an SBR.

View Quote

Stuck in rifle config.

if its first configuratio was a pistol it could go back and forth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not to nitpick, but "once a rifle" is incorrect--as the rest of your post illustrates. "Once a rifle" came from a time prior to the TC case that established going from a pistol to a rifle and back was acceptable. The correct phrase would be "First a rifle..."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If it genuinely was never assembled as a Title 1 rifle, but first assembled as an SBR you should be ok. Despite the name an SBR is not a "rifle", as the clause in question of the definition of an SBR is obviously referring to a Title 1 Rifle (long gun). AFAIK there is no case law. It's a whole lot easier to just buy a new lower and not worry about it though. Anyone with sense just assembles all lowers as pistols first then it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it genuinely was never assembled as a Title 1 rifle, but first assembled as an SBR you should be ok. Despite the name an SBR is not a "rifle", as the clause in question of the definition of an SBR is obviously referring to a Title 1 Rifle (long gun). AFAIK there is no case law. It's a whole lot easier to just buy a new lower and not worry about it though. Anyone with sense just assembles all lowers as pistols first then it's a non issue.
View Quote

SBR is a subset of the class rifle, which is a subset of the class firearm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SBR is a subset of the class rifle, which is a subset of the class firearm.
View Quote

No it's not.

"Short Barreled Rifle" has a specific, defined set of qualities.

"Rifle" has a specific, defined set of qualities. They are distinct and separate.

SBR is regulated under the NFA.

Rifle is a long gun which is unregulated by the NFA.

The regulation in question defines an SBR as something with particular qualities that is "made from a Rifle". This would be circular logic if an SBR is a Rifle.

If you check the "Other" box on a 4473, is that then an "Any Other Firearm"? I mean, it says "other", right? It's a firearm, right?
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No it's not.

"Short Barreled Rifle" has a specific, defined set of qualities.

"Rifle" has a specific, defined set of qualities. They are distinct and separate.

SBR is regulated under the NFA.

Rifle is a long gun which is unregulated by the NFA.

The regulation in question defines an SBR as something with particular qualities that is "made from a Rifle". This would be circular logic if an SBR is a Rifle.

If you check the "Other" box on a 4473, is that then an "Any Other Firearm"? I mean, it says "other", right? It's a firearm, right?
View Quote

Um OK

USC 921:

(8)The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle ...

Perhaps that is why the "R" in SBR stands for .... wait for it ... Rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Just curious, how are you supposed to remember what was on the 4473 since everything is retained by the FFL?  I've never been given a copy for any rifles, handguns, or lowers that I've purchased.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just curious, how are you supposed to remember what was on the 4473 since everything is retained by the FFL?  I've never been given a copy for any rifles, handguns, or lowers that I've purchased.
View Quote

If the firearm transferred to you was a handgun, the dealer recorded handgun.
If the firearm transferred to you was a long gun, the dealer recorded long gun.
If the firearm transferred to you was an other firearm, the dealer recorded other firearm.

If he made an error and recorded a handgun as a long gun or AR lower as a handgun.......that's his problem. It doesn't change what the firearm is/was.
You've never been given a copy because the 4473 is the dealers record of the transaction. Your record of the transaction is whatever receipt or bill of sale the seller gave you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Just curious - I have always understood that a Stripped / Bare AR Receiver is transferred as "Other" (since it was neither a Rifle or a AR Handgun at time of sale.)

If you wanted to build it as a Pistol, how could you PROVE it was built as a Handgun (First) so as to give you the option to build & use it as a AR handgun using a SBA3 Brace as a Handgun.  I'd like to do this with a few lowers before the election.

I would see it as giving flexibility if you build an AR stripped AR lower FIRST as a AR "Handgun", you then have the option to run it as a AR Handgun with a Brace, but also the option later to 'convert' it to a Rifle (with 16" barrel & Stock) or Class III SBR with registration & a stock later if Braces get the Ban Hammer like the Bump-Stocks did?

Thanks for any Clarifications about how to PROVE a AR Lower started off as a "Handgun"  and if my though process is on track or off.

@DogtownTom
@RenegadeX

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just curious - I have always understood that a Stripped / Bare AR Receiver is transferred as "Other" (since it was neither a Rifle or a AR Handgun at time of sale.)

If you wanted to build it as a Pistol, how could you PROVE it was built as a Handgun (First) so as to give you the option to build & use it as a AR handgun using a SBA3 Brace as a Handgun.  I'd like to do this with a few lowers before the election.

I would see it as giving flexibility if you build an AR stripped AR lower FIRST as a AR "Handgun", you then have the option to run it as a AR Handgun with a Brace, but also the option later to 'convert' it to a Rifle (with 16" barrel & Stock) or Class III SBR with registration & a stock later if Braces get the Ban Hammer like the Bump-Stocks did?

Thanks for any Clarifications about how to PROVE a AR Lower started off as a "Handgun"  and if my though process is on track or off.

@DogtownTom
@RenegadeX

View Quote

Technically, the ATF has to prove you built it first as a rifle, you don't have to prove anything.

In reality, poor man's copyright might be an option. Take a picture of it as a pistol, then email that to yourself. Make sure the email address you use is one that will stay on the server. If there is an issue, the date/time stamp of the email with photo on the server will show when it was built as a pistol. Ideally, you'd do this right after obtaining the receiver so there is no window when you could have secretly built it as a rifle first.

PS. I am not a lawyer and it has been years since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Technically, the ATF has to prove you built it first as a rifle, you don't have to prove anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If ATF is challenging/accusing/filing charges/kicking down your door....it isn't because you cant prove what your AR pistol started life as.

In reality, poor man's copyright might be an option. Take a picture of it as a pistol, then email that to yourself. Make sure the email address you use is one that will stay on the server. If there is an issue, the date/time stamp of the email with photo on the server will show when it was built as a pistol. Ideally, you'd do this right after obtaining the receiver so there is no window when you could have secretly built it as a rifle first.

Seriously, a lot of trouble for absolutely no reason.
It really doesn't prove that the lower wasn't assembled as a rifle BEFORE you assembled as a pistol and took the photo. Time stamps? Servers? ATF ain't got time for that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You cant, unless you had Chain of Custody since it was made on the MFG floor.

I would be shocked if any otherwise law abiding person has ever been charged, even if they used a know rifle like a 6920. I am not even sure what they would charge you with. Imagine trying to explain to a jury two identical guns but one is legal and one is not because it had a stock on it for 1 picosecond, while the other had a brace. Heck jurors would not even see a difference in stock vs brace. It is an unwinnable case and would never be pursued.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
..... Imagine trying to explain to a jury two identical guns but one is legal and one is not because it had a stock on it for 1 picosecond, while the other had a brace. Heck jurors would not even see a difference in stock vs brace. It is an unwinnable case and would never be pursued.
View Quote

Exactly.
I think that exact thought ran through the heads at the USSC back in 1992.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I would not want to be arguing with a policeman that my 'AR pistol'
was allowed under the Virginia Concealed Handgun permit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
It's f@cking ridiculous. The whole concept is a joke. The thought that one could be charged after buying a lower second hand just boggles my mind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PS. I am not a lawyer and it has been years since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
View Quote

Print the picture and use USPS so you have a postmark on the envelope.

We had a LOT of SW written using an older version of Excel.
We had a computer with no internet connection that ran about 15 years behind.
We loaded the old version of Excel, an al old operating system.
No way to "Call home to mama" and find an actual date.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's f@cking ridiculous. The whole concept is a joke. The thought that one could be charged after buying a lower second hand just boggles my mind.
View Quote

This!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top