Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
not sure if this is the right forum.  it does have to do with protecting the life of myself and loved ones.

ive been thinking about what happens if im at a restaurant or another ground floor building.  all of a sudden there is mad panic and everyone (except me) runs for the main front exit.  i begin to look for other exit points, including all the windows.  will a spring loaded glass breaker that fits in my pocket work on this glass?  i have no idea if it is tempered glass or not.  

what do you recommend that is pocketable for breaking glass like this?  or would a restaurant chair be a better option?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
147 grain HST if it’s a real emergency.  I’d guess the butt of the gun would work in a pinch.  I don’t like to EDC more gear than I really need.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
A bullet will get it done.  It will get everyone else out of your way at the same time.

ETA - As for a plastic chair, no.  You need a hard impact, concentrated at one point.  Something like a coffee cup would probably do it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The problem with something like that is that you have to push on it.  If you're pushing on a large window when it breaks, you hand is going to find itself in an avalanche of falling shards of glass.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
RESQME.

Quoted:

The problem with something like that is that you have to push on it.  If you're pushing on a large window when it breaks, you hand is going to find itself in an avalanche of falling shards of glass.
View Quote

Better to escape with your life and a few cuts than not at all imo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked at autozone during college, I have seen alternators and starters thrown at the big windows at the front of the building and the glass just laughed at it.

I don't know if a center punch or chunk of porcelain would do any better though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
it would have to be a pretty dire situation to start shooting windows.  was looking for options with less liability attached.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
One of those 21oz beer mugs should get it done
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm curious - is this just conversation, or is this something you actually worry about?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
not sure if this is the right forum.  it does have to do with protecting the life of myself and loved ones.

ive been thinking about what happens if im at a restaurant or another ground floor building.  all of a sudden there is mad panic and everyone (except me) runs for the main front exit.  i begin to look for other exit points, including all the windows.  will a spring loaded glass breaker that fits in my pocket work on this glass?  i have no idea if it is tempered glass or not.  

what do you recommend that is pocketable for breaking glass like this?  or would a restaurant chair be a better option?

thanks
View Quote

Plenty of knives and pens available these days with a glassbreaker point. Your local laws may help decide which of those options would be safer (eg. A pen is generally fine anywhere, but I know some cities/states have retarded knife laws).

You're not trying to smash your whole arm through the glass. You're using a sharp rap with a hardened point, to compromise/crack/shatter the glass. Once it even cracks, throwing a table through it will clear the way.

If the glass has some kind of reinforcement (or isn't glass, but actually a sheet of impact resistant polycarbonate, like some places have been doing), then you're SOL.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t even know how well they’ll work as most are made to break tempered auto glass. I like fixed glass breakers more than spring loaded ones but either can work if you’re careful.

Honestly something bigger and heavier will most likely work just fine.

I carry this but for car stuff
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Support the hand pressing to keep it from protruding through the glass. Pressing in the corner will pop the glass is the proper way to avoid the glass avalanche.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don’t even know how well they’ll work as most are made to break tempered auto glass. I like fixed glass breakers more than spring loaded ones but either can work if you’re careful.

Honestly something bigger and heavier will most likely work just fine.

I carry this but for car stuff
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129950/C2C5BAC2-CC0D-461B-B3C5-12AF88A35B16_jpe-1774911.JPG
View Quote

You absolutely need to know what kind of glass something is before you break it.  Good news is that more and more glass you can easily reach is tempered.  Look for the little stamp. Plate glass you break from as far away as possible that shit can kill you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm curious - is this just conversation, or is this something you actually worry about?
View Quote

i don't "worry" about it.  just thinking ahead and gaining knowledge beforehand.  more than likely this situation will never happen.  isn't that what we on this forum do though?  plan for the worst?

that's why i ask.  if a beer mug or chair will get the job done, i will not carry another tool.  if not then i'd like to know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i don't "worry" about it.  just thinking ahead and gaining knowledge beforehand.  more than likely this situation will never happen.  isn't that what we on this forum do though?  plan for the worst?

that's why i ask.  if a beer mug or chair will get the job done, i will not carry another tool.  if not then i'd like to know.
View Quote

Okay.  The first question I would ask is whether the typical large window glass is tempered.  I know the doors are, but I don't know about windows.  The difference is that tempered glass has internal stress that causes it to shatter into tiny pieces across the entire pane.  Whatever is left can safely be pushed out of the way.  If it's not tempered, you get big sharp knives of glass. A glass breaker or even a bullet might only make a tiny hole, and if you follow it up with a chair, you're likely to get a bigger hole, surrounded with sharp teeth.

Are big windows tempered?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RESQME.

Better to escape with your life and a few cuts than not at all imo.
View Quote

If it is a big window and it is plate glass you may not escape with your life. Tempered you would be cut but most likely ok.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I watched a video of an SUV going into water with kids in car seats and the doors jammed shut. I made the decision to always carry a knife with a glass breaker. Not long after I used it to get to someone after a roll over.  

I have the kershaw above and carry it on road trips since it also has the seatbelt cutter. I have attached rescue-me tools to each of the kid's car seats in all cars. I carry a hawk in the car for lots of reasons but it works great on glass. I EDC a combat troodon with carbide breaker.

It works on lots of glass! You have to swing it harder than you think you might, and you should hit the corners not the middle. You will likely put your hand through it and will get cut. shooting works, too, but it's pretty easy to find a decent EDC knife with a tip so you always have it handy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking at the aftermath of the Antifa peaceful protests in Portland, the door glass appears to be tempered - shatters into a million pieces.
Window glass appears not to be in many cases. I suspect that the better window glass is laminated - which means that you are not going to break it with any pocket tool.

You could try a punch, on the off-chance that they used tempered glass. If that does nothing, you need to head for the doors.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I watched a kid try and shoot through a store window once. It was dark but didn't look like it was doing anything. Could have been making tiny holes I guess. I hauled ass and never went back but I always wondered how and the hell it didn't shatter.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I watched a video of an SUV going into water with kids in car seats and the doors jammed shut. I made the decision to always carry a knife with a glass breaker. Not long after I used it to get to someone after a roll over.  

I have the kershaw above and carry it on road trips since it also has the seatbelt cutter. I have attached rescue-me tools to each of the kid's car seats in all cars. I carry a hawk in the car for lots of reasons but it works great on glass. I EDC a combat troodon with carbide breaker.

It works on lots of glass! You have to swing it harder than you think you might, and you should hit the corners not the middle. You will likely put your hand through it and will get cut. shooting works, too, but it's pretty easy to find a decent EDC knife with a tip so you always have it handy.
View Quote

Many of the newer cars are going to laminate instead of tempered in the doors again. Laminate is quieter. Most back windows are tempered.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Many of the newer cars are going to laminate instead of tempered in the doors again. Laminate is quieter. Most back windows are tempered.
View Quote

Some of the Euro cars were heading that way 20 years ago. I hated cutting laminate glass.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rubber band a ResQme tool to each visor of every vehicle so the 2 front occupants can reach them in an emergency.

They're light, so the flat/wide rubberbands can hold them in place even in a rollover and they aren't a blunt force trauma hazard like the glass breaker hammers (most of those glass breaker hammers sold, do NOT come with a mount that would securely hold it in a rollover. That hammer would be flying around the cabin, posing a hazard).

As already mentioned, more than a few vehicles are using laminated glass on the front windows (which don't shatter). The rear windows are still tempered glass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Machinists Etch
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Machinists Etch
View Quote

Just make sure you use your non-dominant hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top