Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2020 3:10:33 PM EDT
Nothing major just been thinking of trying to make a butter dish, maybe some measuring cups so started to do a little research and this is what I have found:

1. PETG is considered to be food safe for the most part but for that extra piece of mind you can find PETG that has been certified food safe.
2. Don't use brass nozzles due to the risk they can leach lead into the print.
3. The layer lines provide places for bacteria to grow.

It seems like using a non plated steel nozzle paired with PETG  would get you 90% of the way to a safe print. What I want to know is if I have overlooked something or  are there is any other precautions I could take. Perhaps reduce layer height to produce a finer surface that while there would be more layers there would be less space for crud to inhabit? and would hand washing  be enough to clean the print completely after use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your fears are overblown with plastics and the brass nozzles. You are going to get more lead exposure from this hobby that you would from the brass nozzles. The plastic unless you are heating it close to it softening temps is not going to outgass much if at all. PLA is corn based. It does degrade with heat and water but that takes some time. Nothing wrong with PETG if you get your settings right. It can be a little more tricky than PLA.

If you're worried about the layering texture, sand the part or post process it to reduce the layering.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Little kids have been putting ABS legos and barbies in their mouths for decades.  It's safe for food.

I do think the layers will make your item harder to thoroughly clean.  You can try using thicker layers which would mean fewer looks and crannies.  You could also use acetone fuming to smooth the final print and file the layers together.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
To me the biggest concern was the layering. Suggestion I've seen is to use some type of spray on coating to fill in the areas. As to what coating is food safe I didn't look into it beyond that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the lead in the brass nozzle issue is completely overblown. The amount of lead transfer from brass to filament is so insignificant that it is probably not even measurable. The only time I can imagine that there would be an issue is if you are using an abrasive filament because that will wear on the nozzle.

My top concerns for food safety would first be the amount of time the food is in contact with the part since you could have chemicals from the filament leach into the food. The second has been mentioned a lot is the layer lines and the best way to clean and sterilize the part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top