Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2024 10:12:01 PM EDT
Basic home network is not strong enough to reach our shed to run a Ring security camera reliably, half the time it is disconnected. Basic searches online and amazon leave me more confused on options to extend wireless network. We have xfinity wifi at the house and use the standard xfi gateway combo modem and router if that helps. Just want to be able to view our ring camera that is 50 or 60 feet from the modem. Any suggestions on a simple set up?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheapest and easiest would be if you could move the Comcast device closer to the shed, or at the least try rotating it (unsure if your antennas are fixed or moveable) if it can't be moved physically closer.

An "extender" joins your wifi network and rebroadcasts it (or a newly named network) so clients have a stronger signal.  They can cut bandwidth for that second hop, but if it is just one camera it shouldn't be an issue.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:58:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7] [#2]
Easiest and cheapest method would be to move your wifi in the house so it it closer to the shed.   oops, said the same thing Jakezor said.  :)   I use unifi devices so I can easily setup another access point to reach more distant areas.  Can you do the same, use another access point with your xfinity?

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I am also curious about this. It's less so that my shed is too far away, as I have a few wifi cameras on the exterior of the shed that work fine. However, the siding is steel, and seems to block the signal inside the shed. I'd love to add a few more cameras, and pull up youtube videos inside while I'm working on whatever. I imagine a router in the shed is the answer, but I'm still confuses. So far, I'm not finding an easy answer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a 2 or 3 unit WiFi 6 tri-band mesh setup & turn WiFi off on the Xfinity modem.  They run the gamut price-wise.  Cheapest decent one I’ve seen:

Walmart Linkee
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
so if you can get wifi out too the shed, you just need a booster so to speak.
basically you pick up a unifi device that is waterproof and have it see the signal outside the shed and just rebroadcast so it reaches inside the shed.
unless you faraday caged yourself.  like it drops when you close all the doors or something.

one of these
https://in.ui.com/wifi/flexible-outdoor
you just have to run power to it.
then you set it up as a repeater and it calls itself the same thing as your regular wifi network and relays stuff back and forth between the shed and house.

like a poster above mentioned, your bandwidth will be cut in half.
those other camera's will also jump on to it as it will have the strongest signal.

better choice is to drop a line from the house to the shed, but that is pretty involved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all, I ended up getting a fairly cheap wifi extender on amazon. Simple, basic $30 unit that "rebroadcasts" my wifi signal. I plugged it in to the kitchen wall closest to the shed and it is working perfectly. I'm sure speeds are diminished but it is plenty fast to run the camera. Thank you all who responded.
Amazon Product
  • Dual Band WiFi Extender: Up to 44% more bandwidth than single band N300 WiFi extenders. Boost Internet WiFi coverage up to 1200 square feet and connects up to 30 devices(2.4GHz: 300Mbps; 5GHz: 433Mbps)

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Will one of these work for about 300 feet? And will they all drop 1/2 the speed? Where I'm staying only gets about 9.39 mbps down on a good day. I don't know if its worth it to loose half of that.I have no cell service at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top