Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2019 1:32:18 AM EDT
I thought there might be some interest in this here. I wanted to post some pictures.

(Caption: my first 24 batches of mead, and 1 Cabernet that I did. This represents 16 months of mead making)

So how did I get here?
It all started with a couple of jugs of South Dakota honey from my father in law.

And then I started making 1 gallon batches to try different flavors

Blackberry on the left, peach on the right.

At first the labels were basic:

Eventually got more elaborate:

(it's perfectly clear but the glass is fogged up)

Which leads me to some of my favorites:

A wine/mead hybrid for my cousin's wedding

A wild blueberry mead with local wildflower honey...

And, a ridiculously over the top pyment that cost me well over $200 to make 5 gallons of:

Spanish Temperanillo grape must, sour Montmorency Cherries, Wildflower Honey, Blood orange juice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Placeholder for more pics

Another Black Currant mead, this one has a little different color. More tannins, acid, and sweetness in Batch 2.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Pure awesome. I did not even know this category was here. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Currently in the fermenters are 4 projects:

1) Cherry Overlord, Sweet Bing and Skeena Cherries from Columbia Valley, OR and Tart Montmorency cherries from Hotchkiss, CO.  4.5 lbs/gallon. Local wildflower honey. Slight aging on rum-soaked Hungarian oak. [4 gallons]. 12-13% ABV

2) Cherry Melange, (cherry overload) + Blackberries and Raspberries. Local Wildflower honey [1 gallon] Over 5 lbs of fruit per gallon.

3) Bochet (burned honey) mead at 14% ABV, with a small addition of Belgian Candi Syrup (D-180), [3 gallons]  Undergoing extended bulk aging with heavily toasted oak.

4) LE 18 Black Cab, this is a Cabernet with Gamay Noir grapes added. It's a wine kit, and I haven't really done anything out of the ordinary except to use some yeast nutrient in 2 stages.*

*the wine dropped 71 points in 6 days! From 1.099 to 1.028. Using Lalvin EC-1118 Prisse Du Mousse which is considered to be one of three yeasts that are champagne yeast.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep meaning  to make a mead but dang if I don’t want to mess up . What temp are you fermenting at ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure I have everything necessary to make my first. I'm skurred.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep meaning  to make a mead but dang if I don’t want to mess up . What temp are you fermenting at ?
View Quote
My basement is typically where I place my fermenters. I like them to start at around 67 degrees or so. In the summer it's a little higher. For Wyeast 1388 I ferment 65-71 degrees.

In the winter my basement is in the low 60s and the yeast I am using right now is fine down to 60 degrees. Lalvin EC-1118

Look up staggered nutrient addition. I like Fermaid O but you can use any type of yeast nutrient and see positive results.

If you can, use some good local honey. Raw and unfiltered is fine.

Also I like to degass at least once a day for the first week to keep some CO2 out of solution. But beware, you don't want a mead volcano.  (been there, done that many times).

I love my SS Brewtech brew buckets, but they aren't cheap. $200 for 7 gallon (up to 6 capacity IMO) or $120 for 3.5 gallon.

Read up on TOSNA 2.0  or
BOMM technique from Denard Bray - I need to get a link he has a new formula with Fermaid O... it's on his website denard brewing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure I have everything necessary to make my first. I'm skurred.
View Quote
What do you have for fermenters?
Do you have a hydrometer and thief?

I recommend for your first mead, ferment 2.5 lbs of honey per gallon. After ~3 weeks when fermentation is done, stabilize* and back-sweeten with 0.5 lbs of honey per gallon. That should get you around 1.020 final gravity and ~12.5% ABV.

*You stabilize with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah. I have a Facebook page, and an Instagram.
You can "like" my Facebook or not, It doesn't really matter.

Facebook: Antelope Ridge Meadery
Instagram: Antelope Ridge Mead   @anteloperidgemead
Untappd: Antelope Ridge Meadery
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I am serious about opening a meadery now.

In June I went to a 4-day course at UC Davis called Meadmaking 301. I'm making 2-4 batches a month now. I have 5 in secondary and 1 in primary right now, may be starting another batch really soon.

Renting a place in November to have my next (4th) mead party.  I'll try to post some pics.

My last batches:

27 lbs of local balaton (tart) cherries and orange blossom honey - that yielded 5 gallons of mead- about 5.4 lbs per gallon. I used EC-1118 yeast.
19 lbs of cotton candy grapes and SD clover honey - this one produced 4 gallons of mead- about 5 lbs per gallon
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats awesome!!

Keep at it.

This thread inspired me to try making a cyser a few months ago.

I've got 2 meads in primary right now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Orange Blossom
Raw California Orange Blossom Honey mead. 12.2% ABV, semi-sweet

Attachment Attached File

Cotton Candy Crush
A pyment made with 4.5 lbs per gallon of Cotton Candy Grapes and South Dakota Clover Honey. Backsweetened with Orange Blossom Honey. 14% ABV ish SWEET

Attachment Attached File

And Then He Served Us Blueberry Pancakes
A maple-honey wine with spices added, aged on toasted american oak and 2lbs per gallon organic Oregon Blueberries. Gluten free, ~12% ABV

Attachment Attached File

Coffee Maple
A maple-honey wine steeped in locally roasted Las Carmelitas coffee from Guatemala 13.2%
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Wedding Bells
Pyment with California Riesling grape must, california orange blossom honey, raw pineapple, and valencia orange juice and zest. 14%

Attachment Attached File

Blues Traveler
Melomel/Cyser- Washington Apple Juice, Brazilian Wildflower Honey, Chinese Goji Berries, and a double dose of Oregon Blueberries. 11,5% ABV

These are just some of my recent favorites, there are more. I'll be bottling my 50th batch in the next couple months.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

B&M2: Pyment Day
California Cabernet grape must, Calfornia Orange Blossom Honey, Oregon Boysenberry Puree, aged on toasted american oak soaked in bourbon. 16% ABV, sweet
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Cherry Overlord
A blend of Colorado Montmorency (tart) Cherries, and Oregon dark (sweet) cherries, Colorado Wildflower Honey, white tea, aged on toasted american oak. 5lbs / gallon of cherries 14% ABV
Meaning each 375ml bottle is made from 1/2 lb of cherries!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Im going to make my first two gallons of mead today. My son turns 21 in May and wants to try making mead to celebrate his 21st. This is odd because he has no interest in alcohol other than an occasional Mimosa when we're camping or for our holiday brunches.
He wants a more traditional mead, so one gallon will be JOAM. The other gallon will be a blueberry melomel. I picked up 6# of honey from the local blueberry farm where we pick berries every year, and I'll add a pound of this summers pick of Duke Blueberries.

Went out to the shed yesterday to gather up my homebrewing equipment that hasn't been used in years. After I came back in empty handed my wife reminded me that I sold a lot of what I had several years ago to someone else who was getting started on making beer. I had to buy a new syphon, racking cane, and hydrometer. I guess when I set the guy up I sold a 5 gallon glass carboy, 6 gallons primary fermentor, racking cane, bottle filler, capper, hydrometer, cylinder, caps, bottles, the whole set up.
I've only got 1 primary fermentor, a secondary, my kettle, and three corny kegs left in the shed.

These two meads will be the deciding factor if I want to keep everything else and make 5 gallon batches of mead, or sell it all.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Checked the gravity of my two meads today. Having never made it before and being used to the speed at which Beer fermentation finishes, I was surprised to see them still hovering at 1.030. Still a ways to go to get under 1.0. Of course I had to sample them both. I hope the floral flavor of the JOAM mellows a lot before May when my kid wants to drink it. The Blueberry was much better than the JOAM.

Should I add a nutrient or anything? The airlocks are still going steadily burping about every 10 to 12 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks very cool and makes me thirsty. Will check out your Instagram page.

Do you sell through one of those sites?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I love making mead.m I haven't made any in a few years.  This (old) thread is giving me some inspiration.

thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Checked the gravity of my two meads today. Having never made it before and being used to the speed at which Beer fermentation finishes, I was surprised to see them still hovering at 1.030. Still a ways to go to get under 1.0. Of course I had to sample them both. I hope the floral flavor of the JOAM mellows a lot before May when my kid wants to drink it. The Blueberry was much better than the JOAM.

Should I add a nutrient or anything? The airlocks are still going steadily burping about every 10 to 12 seconds.
View Quote
Mead is a much slower process.  I don't even drink mine until its at least a year old.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks very cool and makes me thirsty. Will check out your Instagram page.

Do you sell through one of those sites?
View Quote
I don't sell anything, that would be against the law. (until I have a license to do so, and pay taxes on it)
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mead is a much slower process.  I don't even drink mine until its at least a year old.
View Quote
No, you can make good mead in a month. You just need to take better care of your yeast.
I think my batches take 6-12 weeks now, on average. From Start to bottle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
@djkest

Are you on the western slope?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@djkest

Are you on the western slope?
View Quote
Nope, Colorado Springs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Just found this today.  Someone the other day in GD posted something about a mead and it was mentioned that there was a homebrew forum.

I am just getting started with this hobby.  Your creations look incredible!

SRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just found this today.  Someone the other day in GD posted something about a mead and it was mentioned that there was a homebrew forum.

I am just getting started with this hobby.  Your creations look incredible!

SRG
View Quote
Let me know how I can help! I recommend to get started you check out "Bray's One Month Mead" or even BOMM. Some of my earlier batches I made using this method, and they turned out great!
Yeast nutrient is wonderful to have. If you are planning to make fruited meads and have the coin I recommend the SS Brewtech 7 gallon brew bucket. Having a sample valve and large removable lid is quite nice. You can also ferment in a plastic bucket and still make great stuff.

I have a bunch more new meads, released 4 this month. I'll try and post some pics.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Heather honey from Scotland. A traditional mead (only honey and water).  It has a very unique aroma and flavor (very floral, with some grassiness). The finish lingers for a long time on your tongue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone is looking for some great honey to make some mead, I recommend this wholeheartedly.

https://www.swamphoney.org/collections/all

The georgia tupelo "swamp honey" is sublime. It's hard to describe the flavor, maybe fruity and citrusy with a little bit of a creaminess almost like custard. The folks are super nice too.

I have a batch going with PNG Tahitian Vanilla Beans and crushed cinnamon sticks along with toasted French oak.  Half of it was just racked onto Maine wild blueberries- hoping for something like a wild blueberry creme brulee type flavor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#29]
This was fun:
Attachment Attached File

Chilean Pinot Noir, Oregona Meadowfoam honey, Michigan Blackberries, Toasted French Oak, and Peruvian Cacao nibs. It's nuts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Woodsrider:
Checked the gravity of my two meads today. Having never made it before and being used to the speed at which Beer fermentation finishes, I was surprised to see them still hovering at 1.030. Still a ways to go to get under 1.0. Of course I had to sample them both. I hope the floral flavor of the JOAM mellows a lot before May when my kid wants to drink it. The Blueberry was much better than the JOAM.

Should I add a nutrient or anything? The airlocks are still going steadily burping about every 10 to 12 seconds.
View Quote

Sorry I missed this post earlier, I'm not sure why.

How is the mead going? Here's what I would do. If you still have it in primary, it should be mostly clear.
Rack it into secondary. Add Potassium Metabisulfite and Possium Sorbate according to the recommended doses. Mix will and let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then carefully add honey to this mix to back-sweeten.

Take a gravity reading before.  Each lb of honey will raise a gallon of mead up about 36-40 gravity points, while diluting your alcohol by (1/12).  Shooting for 1.020 - 1.030 would be a good place to start
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Just found this thread. Just started my 4th 5 gal batch yesterday. Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
I haven't ever made mead, but I have made a LOT of wine (all deep dark reds).

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Very cool! Do you use wine kits, press your own grapes, or somewhere in between?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Very cool! Do you use wine kits, press your own grapes, or somewhere in between?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have never pressed my own grapes.
Mostly they were the more expensive 5 liter kits that also contained pre-crushed grape skins.
I actually haven't made wine in quite a while now as I have gotten back into the beer brewing hobby (the payoff to drink is a lot faster... ).
I still have all the equipment for making wine and now that I'm retired with lots of time for all my hobbies I'll probably wait for the fresh grape harvest and make a few batched of wine again.
Although currently I have converted those two wine refrigerators into lager beer making chambers by overriding the refrigeration temp controller so I can pull 32F temps...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I've made mead (and wine) with wine kits, mostly the higher-end ones. I've also made several meads with whole grapes.

Since I don't have a crusher, I have my own technique to crush the grapes. I wash and freeze them. When I am ready to make the batch, I thaw them out and use that wine whip to break the grapes open. I ferment for a week or two and them press or squeeze the grapes to get the skins and pulp out. You can use a large mesh bag.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome!  

I just moved down your way and have been telling the wife we need to find some mead for her to try.  We'll definitely be on the lookout when you open up
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Awesome!  

I just moved down your way and have been telling the wife we need to find some mead for her to try.  We'll definitely be on the lookout when you open up
View Quote

Yes, please keep in touch. I can even add you to the exclusive club pre-list if you really wanna go ham.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
A couple crazy ones.

BCCP - Banana Coconut Cream Pie
Contains real banana, wildflower honey, toasted and raw coconut, lactose, and vanilla beans.
Attachment Attached File

Pina Colada contains wildflower honey, raw pineapple, toasted and raw coconut, and sabro hops. It's very unique.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Starry Skies is made with Michigan Star Thistle Honey, Boysenberries, and whole Blackberries, aged on American Oak.
Attachment Attached File

I really like this one, but the honey tastes different than a neutral honey profile. (fennel / black licorice)
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Draft Mead- Carbonated mead with Michigan Tart Cherry, Apple, and Wildflower Honey.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Raspberry Dynamo is made with Oregon Meadowfoam honey ($$$), Red Raspberries, Ugandan Vanilla beans, and toasted french and American oak.  This one is a big dessert wine with some tannins and acid for balance. It's one of the more expensive ones I've made, it would be ~$25 bottle I think.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Tagging for when I'm on R&R...

I've made a half-assed mead before and it was okay, but I'd really like to start seriously making some.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No, you can make good mead in a month. You just need to take better care of your yeast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, it's a much slower process for me.  

mine is likely ready in 4 or 5 months, but I like to let it sit.  My results seem better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've made mead (and wine) with wine kits, mostly the higher-end ones. I've also made several meads with whole grapes.

Since I don't have a crusher, I have my own technique to crush the grapes. I wash and freeze them. When I am ready to make the batch, I thaw them out and use that wine whip to break the grapes open. I ferment for a week or two and them press or squeeze the grapes to get the skins and pulp out. You can use a large mesh bag.

View Quote

I have been making wine for around 15 years.  usually around 12-18 gallons a year.  I started with wine kits.  I quickly moved on to fresh grape juice from a local distributor.  Chilean juice in the spring and Italian or Californian in the fall.  I have learned that this is the same stuff that most (if not all) of the small local winerys use to make wine.  There is no way for them to grow all the different types of grapes locally.  

The juice is better and much much cheaper than kits.  Usually around $55-$60 per 6 gallons.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I guess you could say things are getting kind of serious.

We ship (legally!) to 42 states.
Attachment Attached File

Big batch going down.
Attachment Attached File

Pumping honey/water mix into a tank that holds 260 gallons.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess you could say things are getting kind of serious.

We ship (legally!) to 42 states.
View Quote

Can you ship to WV?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Can you ship to WV?
View Quote

Yes we can!  
https://anteloperidgemead.com/buy/
You can also check out our Facebook page for more events if you are into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm not sure how this hasn't archived yet...
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome thread
Op ....
I have only tried mead 3 times, two of those were trash but the third was good stuff. Are you familiar with viking blood?

Checking your website now :)  
Ps ever make a ginger mead?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Awesome thread
Op ....
I have only tried mead 3 times, two of those were trash but the third was good stuff. Are you familiar with viking blood?

Checking your website now :)  
Ps ever make a ginger mead?
View Quote

I am familiar with Viking Blood. It's good stuff. They do fortify their mead with spirits to achieve the high ABV. I haven't made a ginger mead yet, I am kind of scared!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top