Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2024 4:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5]
Decided to keep this here vs GD, mostly cause I'm more genuinely curious vs a GD answer.    So the wife was watching something on the Earth when I got home from work and it was on the Triassic-Jurassic periods which later evolved to what we have now.  

The thing that had always blown my mind (literally)  is just the span of time they talk about.    They will "speed" through 50 million years from each era like its just a small page in a gigantic book.  Considering man-kind (in all its forms) has only been on Earth for about 250k years, yet SOMEHOW, dinosaurs and other life had lasted 500 million years.  

So my question is, and I understand no one was alive to see/document it, but besides the changes in weather,  volcanoes, plate tectonics,  ect... what all happened during that time? Or did life just live and magically survive abd thats it for 3 billion years.  Also, just cause I'm genuinely interested,  can anyone point me in the direction of some literature or videos that may go more in depth on this?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Not sure why you would compare the presence of homo sapiens to the presence of dinosaurs .......... different species.

Anyway, the honest answer is that the evidence (so far) indicates _________ happened.

There is a lot written about all that and as new evidence emerges through improved analysis tools the theories improve.

That's just good science.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Evolution, evolution happened.

From the start no animals remained static, they are always changing, going extinct, new one taking their places. It’s still going on it’s just that the process is slow we don’t see it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I, like OP, watch a lot of documentaries. It amazes me that we don’t know what we don’t know.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any answers, but have considered the same questions, especially when the often-mentioned tidbit that chronologically T-Rex lived closer to the first humans than it did to Stegasaurus, with which it frequently depicted.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
"What happened in the Triassic-Jurassic periods stayed in the Triassic-Jurassic periods."

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Aliens visited. Lost a couple pet monkeys and that’s how we got started.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Was answered in Star Trek.  Q was screwing around doing things he should not and got them all killed.  So he was assigned to look over this planet since then.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Was answered in Star Trek.  Q was screwing around doing things he should not and got them all killed.  So he was assigned to look over this planet since then.
View Quote

I should have known Q was behind it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top