Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked deployment pic thread? (Page 1 of 8)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/19/2008 1:20:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734]
i noticed we have no sticky with this so let me kick one off.

`

Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Nice Pics bro.  Where you stationed at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#2]
my unit is out of Ft Benning GA, we are currently in a city called Salman Pak, 20 minutes SE of Baghdad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Hey man, if you are ever in the city (IZ) area by the flag pole PM me.  Maybe hook up have a beer (on me of course).  
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By GunlessnSoCal:
Hey man, if you are ever in the city (IZ) area by the flag pole PM me.  Maybe hook up have a beer (on me of course).  

will do.  although it does seem the only way i have been able to get there has been on a medevac chopper, kinda hoping that doesnt happen again....

no more pics? i was kinda hoping for some pics of the 'ghan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
great pics, and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
i'll post some once i get home, the internet connection we  have is slower than dial-up (if that is possible LOL)
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#9]

Originally Posted By daemon734:
my unit is out of Ft Benning GA, we are currently in a city called Salman Pak, 20 minutes SE of Baghdad.
We had the AOR to your North, Tuwaitha, Al-Wadia, Jasir-Diyala, Tamin, we got lots of contact from that area.....North of the traffic Circle off of Bismark we always got IEDs, Stay safe.....They also liked to set up Mortar positions in the traffic circle and mortar Rastimiyah(Cuervo), we managed to eliminate one team, but we lost a guy in the process....I thought the pic of the berm with wire on it looked familiar...(on the way to yellowcake?)
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#10]

Originally Posted By 161Infantry:

We had the AOR to your North, Tuwaitha, Al-Wadia, Jasir-Diyala, Tamin, we got lots of contact from that area.....North of the traffic Circle off of Bismark we always got IEDs, Stay safe.....They also liked to set up Mortar positions in the traffic circle and mortar Rastimiyah(Cuervo), we managed to eliminate one team, but we lost a guy in the process....I thought the pic of the berm with wire on it looked familiar...(on the way to yellowcake?)

im guessing our routes are named different now, but yeah thats our AO, well north of it.  3-1 cav and our charlie company have tuwathia and al-wardiya.  

yeah we had lots and lots of contact when we first got here, we blew up all our trucks in my platoon in the first few months, had three of them go down in a week from IEDs.  did you guys ever head into the nutsack, the giant swath of land east of salman pak (the dick) and south of the main road that runs through al-wardiya? had some pretty rough times there, thats where i got my purple medal.

everything north of our COP has settled down a little bit due to the CLC's, everything at our COP and south is still a nightmare.   our COP is on a former farm just south of the republican guard eagle, south of the traffic circle that leads up to rusty.  that berm is exactly what you thought, we are about two clicks south of it.

small world.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#11]

im guessing our routes are named different now, but yeah thats our AO, well north of it.  3-1 cav and our charlie company have tuwathia and al-wardiya.  

yeah we had lots and lots of contact when we first got here, we blew up all our trucks in my platoon in the first few months, had three of them go down in a week from IEDs.  did you guys ever head into the nutsack, the giant swath of land east of salman pak (the dick) and south of the main road that runs through al-wardiya? had some pretty rough times there, thats where i got my purple medal.

everything north of our COP has settled down a little bit due to the CLC's, everything at our COP and south is still a nightmare.   our COP is on a former farm just south of the republican guard eagle, south of the traffic circle that leads up to rusty.  that berm is exactly what you thought, we are about two clicks south of it.

small world.
damn the eagle is still their, figured it would have gotten torn down by now...Nutsack..ya I know the area,,,RPGs galore in that area...We used the Tuwaitha berm inside as a staging area as it was usually secure and you had good observation all around. We used to set up OPs up on the top of the berm to look for mortar teams and then guide us in. Also ran Raven missions from their into JD.
 MPs lost a m1114 and a 50cal in an ambush05 in Salman Pak, and a troop. Haj kept us pretty busy from apr04-Aug04, we had to keep our foot in his ass constantly. After kicking their ass's quite a few times, they didnt test us so much, but then we got more IEDs....They started setting up VBIEDs between the JD and banana bridge on river road more and more(hope that stopped)...They were getting alot of ord from that old ASP on Bismark(well we think they were). Lots of Purple Hearts earned by our unit their too, we lost a kid at the traffic circle, got my PH on Irish....small world indeed, watch your ass and come home safe...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
How about some hellish pics?

BBQ at the BIAP:

View from my temporary hooch in Amman, pre-car bomb:

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the pics and THANKS for the service.  Stay safe and hurry back.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
daemon, have you gotten to the old Iraqi military base there in Salman Pak? Supposedly there were some Saudis doing some 'training' there, pre- 09/11/01. They even had a commercial aircraft fuselage to play with.

we were going to make that our COP but found a better spot about a click away.  the fuselage wasnt there anymore though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#16]
heres a couple more...

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
That place looks like Shit from the air too....

We were pulling out about a month or two after you guys rolled in. I remember all the 3rd ID special missions we ran before yall got your own air support in country.

I was lucky and lived at Balad the entire time unless I got weatherd in somewhere..

We only lost 12 guys so I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Not many PH's, I think about 4-5.

Haji threw lead at us all the time, even some RPG's but either hit us and we were still able to fly, or they missed us. We only lost one flight crew and it was actually hit hard with an SA7 and an RPG pluss small arms. Actually one year ago Sunday 20 Jan 07.

Good luck and come home safe
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:27:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine:

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]
NOT MINE BUT LIKED THEM ENOUGH TO POST:

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Salman Pak. I got ambushed there once! (March 20th, 2005) Right about where ASR Bismark meets ASR Detroit. (Do they still call them Bismark and Detroit?) They closed that route down shortly after that...not sure if it was reopened or not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#22]

1st Pic backside of Tuwaitha over by the Saddam palace on the river??

that was a CLC checkpoint, probably online with the eagle but a click or so west on the river.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By WWCND:

Salman Pak. I got ambushed there once! (March 20th, 2005) Right about where ASR Bismark meets ASR Detroit. (Do they still call them Bismark and Detroit?) They closed that route down shortly after that...not sure if it was reopened or not.

Detroit is the same, never heard of bismark. we got ambushed on detroit on my first mission out in sector. nothing like being on the .50 when an entire field opens up on you with crew served weapons.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Detroit is the same, never heard of bismark. we got ambushed on detroit on my first mission out in sector. nothing like being on the .50 when an entire field opens up on you with crew served weapons.

Didn't happen to be near a big power plant?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By WWCND:

Didn't happen to be near a big power plant?

shit, in the field right next to it. there was a single house in the field they had mortar trucks hiding behind, and they even had defilades and foxholes dug out.

the lights from the power plant were washing out our nods. we got set up by the IP's, they set us where they wanted us and flashed their lights next to our vehicles.

thats insane if they were in the same place.  if its any consolation, nobody has gotten attacked there since apaches killed about a dozen insurgents in that field a week or so later.

Link Posted: 1/24/2008 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#26]

shit, in the field right next to it. there was a single house in the field they had mortar trucks hiding behind, and they even had defilades and foxholes dug out.

the lights from the power plant were washing out our nods. we got set up by the IP's, they set us where they wanted us and flashed their lights next to our vehicles.

thats insane if they were in the same place.  if its any consolation, nobody has gotten attacked there since apaches killed about a dozen insurgents in that field a week or so later.

Sounds familiar alright. We had just passed through an IP checkpoint. Can't say that they "set us up" for sure but it sure seemed suspicious. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a contractor in Afghanistan. While my pics aren't nearly as interesting as those the active duty folks have posted here, I have quite a few in my photobucket.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey Guys,

Thank you for serving!
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 4:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WWCND] [#29]
daemon734, This is the only picture that I've found so far that shows the electric plant in it. I have to figure out how to capture some pics off of the videos that I have. This is a pic taken by another soldier of one of the Casevacs after our ambush near Salman Pac. Look familiar? (Edited to fix spelling)

Link Posted: 1/26/2008 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I found one from another angle (also another soldier's pic)

Link Posted: 1/26/2008 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Here are some other misc. pictures:

The Old School "Mad Max" gun trucks that we used when we first got in country:

Scenery from the MSR:

The Ziggurat near Ur.

Link Posted: 1/27/2008 12:48:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEBROOKS] [#32]
What an adventure you guys must of had. Did the wounded guy being caried to the helicopter make it out alright?
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Dang that pic of the power station brings back bad memories......Hope that troop made out ok.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#34]
holy crap, that sure looks like the place!

there was a single house in the middle of the damn field to the west of the plant and a couple other buildings farther east where the field ended.

i remember the building really well because halfway through the fight they started running past it for cover, and there was a porch light on, and i fired a burst of .50 at a crowd of insurgents pooled up in front of the porch light, making a perfect silhouette of them through my nods.

that was the scene of the infamous "cheeze-its incident" from the funny combat stories thread in GD.

WWMD what MOS are you if you dont mind?
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#35]

First time I knew where you guys were located.

5sub
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#36]

holy crap, that sure looks like the place!

there was a single house in the middle of the damn field to the west of the plant and a couple other buildings farther east where the field ended.

i remember the building really well because halfway through the fight they started running past it for cover, and there was a porch light on, and i fired a burst of .50 at a crowd of insurgents pooled up in front of the porch light, making a perfect silhouette of them through my nods.

that was the scene of the infamous "cheeze-its incident" from the funny combat stories thread in GD.

WWMD what MOS are you if you dont mind?

Yep, sounds like the same place. I remember the other buildings that you mentioned...they were shooting from them. The only pics that I have of the other buildings are in a short video that a guy from another convoy took as they passed by the KZ after it was all over.

I'm not familiar with your "cheeze-it's incident" but I'll have to look it up.

I was an 11B in the Army National Guard for about 17 years. They reorganized the Guard here a few years back and we became a Medium Truck Transportation unit. I went to war as an 88M Nothing wrong with Trans. someone has to do it. I just would have rather been Infantry.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#37]
testing if they post from flikr, I don't have many posted but this is a sandstorm in nov at al asad,

and 1 of the marine's newer mraps

Link Posted: 1/28/2008 10:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rubin] [#38]

djibouti, africa
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#39]
The MRAP...don't they call it a "Buffalo"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#40]
yeah thats not an MRAP, its an engineer vehicle called the buffalo as WWMD stated.  an MRAP looks like a cross between an international harvester truck and a humvee.  ill post some pics of ours when i get back out and get my thumb drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Buffalos are MRAPs, MRAPS are a class of vehicles Mine Resistant Ambush Protective vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By pbaeod:
Buffalos are MRAPs, MRAPS are a class of vehicles Mine Resistant Ambush Protective vehicles.i81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/pbaeod/may019.jpg

i learn something new everyday.   we just call them buffalos, RG-34's and Jerr's (sp?), didnt know it was an actual class of vehicle because our new international vehicles are called simply "MRAP".

pbaeod...are you deployed yet? because i have some questions about reclassing to EOD....
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Should be just south of Baghdad around late April,but feel free to shoot me any questions you have my new 1SG, Just left the recruiting team so if you have questions I can get the answers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By pbaeod:
Buffalos are MRAPs, MRAPS are a class of vehicles Mine Resistant Ambush Protective vehicles.

I learned something new too. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#46]
You guys motivate me.

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:08:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barkley-addict] [#47]
coming out of firm base 1 in hit

road through hit

our asv, arfmored security vehicle at camp hit

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Some great pics!   A few from Good Old Afghanistan for ya:

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Tacked deployment pic thread? (Page 1 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top