Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2024 7:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams]
Have any of you made a  capicola .  In curing on right now in the fridge and plan to hang it in 3 or 4  days.  I have seen people use dry age steak wraps to keep it from drying out to fast on the outside.  I have seen people use paper bags on hams and was wondering about using paper bags to wrap the capicola  in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:48:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#1]
If you don't have a dedicated drying chamber (spare fridge with Inkbird temperature/humidity controllers, humidifier, and dehumidifier) the Umai dry-ageing bags or similar dry-ageing bags for steaks) will work great in your regular fridge. Take it to at least 35% weight loss.

Do not use paper bags. You will end up with case hardening and you won't be able to monitor the mold growth as you won't be able to see it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Will do. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I loves me some gob-a-gool!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:14:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams] [#4]
So I am doing this for the first time.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m using medium sized refrigerator that does not have a fan inside.   I’m open the door morning and evening to exchange the air inside.  It’s inside an office building so the fresh air is low humidity but so far the humidity inside the fridge is 70 ish.      I also hung a wet paper towel in the box and it was dry in 12 hours so I’m periodically using that as a guarantee the moisture is actually evaporating
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:11:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#6]
Inkbird humidity and temperature controllers along with a humidifier and dehumidifier. USB computer fan on low pointing down away from product. Temp set at 50°, humidity at 75% is a good starting point.  Sensorpush Bluetooth temperature/humidity data logger.

Attachment Attached File

Amazon Product
  • \u3010Plug n Play\u3011no more complicated wires are needed, and the programable temperature controllers is friendly to growers, staters.

Amazon Product
  • Accurate: Premium sensing component with accuracy of \u00b12%RH, \u00b10.2\u00b0C / 0.36\u00b0F. Professional-grade components, assembled in America into devices you can trust. For even more demanding applications, the device is easily calibratable to a trusted reference, or try the SensorPush HTP.xw for even greater out-of-the-box accuracy. Whichever SensorPush you choose, you'll enjoy reliable, quality monitoring of environmental conditions including air temperature, relative humidity, dewpoint and VPD

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams] [#7]
So here it is. 6 weeks in a fridge with 70 percent humidity.  I would open the door daily to keep fresh air inside.  It’s delicious.  It’s very dry on the outer 16th inch but the rest of the way through its nice firm.  I’m not sure just  how dry the  outside is supposed to be.  I have had dried sausages before but they all had casing on them.   It’s a little salty but not enough to be to salty and it’s even all the way through.     I used a pork loin so not a true capacola but close enough for my first attempt.  I decided not to use the dry age wrap because the humidity was always between 70 and 75 except the last few days it dropped down to 60 percent.   I think it’s because the meat was so dry at that point there wasn’t any moisture being released.  I’ll try the wrap next and see how it does

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice job!  If you vacuum seal it and let it sit in the fridge for a month or two the hard outer layer of case hardening will soften up as the whole thing equilibrates to an even moisture content.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
WHEYS THA GABAGOOL
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Ill do that.  thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top