User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HLcFZNje_w

I'd love one but I've heard they require a loooooot of work.
View Quote
Understatement of the year....
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife is into running 5ks. Would love to have her a running partner and if we were to get one, maybe I'd get back into running shape instead of being big, dumb, and strong.

Suggestions on training?

Eta
After a quick search, $38k for a dog and training? Yea fucking right...
View Quote
It doesn’t have to be nearly that much, even if you send it to a professional trainer. That’s well into the realm of ridiculous. There are plenty of other good running buddies, though. Setters, pointers, retrievers, Dalmatians, Huskies, hounds, and plenty of other herding breeds, most of which are a little lower key when it comes to absolute drive to work (and also less prone to biting, because while there are exceptions to the bitey rule, the reality is most Mal owners get chomped at some point). It may be fairly minor and without aggressive intent, but they can be bitey nonetheless.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It doesn't have to be nearly that much, even if you send it to a professional trainer. That's well into the realm of ridiculous. There are plenty of other good running buddies, though. Setters, pointers, retrievers, Dalmatians, Huskies, hounds, and plenty of other herding breeds, most of which are a little lower key when it comes to absolute drive to work (and also less prone to biting, because while there are exceptions to the bitey rule, the reality is most Mal owners get chomped at some point). It may be fairly minor and without aggressive intent, but they can be bitey nonetheless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife is into running 5ks. Would love to have her a running partner and if we were to get one, maybe I'd get back into running shape instead of being big, dumb, and strong.

Suggestions on training?

Eta
After a quick search, $38k for a dog and training? Yea fucking right...
It doesn't have to be nearly that much, even if you send it to a professional trainer. That's well into the realm of ridiculous. There are plenty of other good running buddies, though. Setters, pointers, retrievers, Dalmatians, Huskies, hounds, and plenty of other herding breeds, most of which are a little lower key when it comes to absolute drive to work (and also less prone to biting, because while there are exceptions to the bitey rule, the reality is most Mal owners get chomped at some point). It may be fairly minor and without aggressive intent, but they can be bitey nonetheless.
They don't call them maligators for nothing.  Mine is high drive, have spent endless amounts of time teaching him my hand is not his play toy, and is only content with his ball in his mouth, or anything really.  Wife got him into that habit when he was a pup.

ETA: My two cats own him though, and he is great around my 9 year old son and my 16 month old son.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here in the US, that makes sense since they’ve been considered as separate breeds, and bred that way. Which is pretty stupid, really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All four of the Belgian varieties are pretty neat, and in most countries other than the US are considered a single breed with different coat types, and can even be born in the same litter. The Malinois variety is more popular with law enforcement and military here in the US, mostly due to the shorter hair I think, but other countries use all the varieties.

https://www.sheknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/j5051usult5ji4nolud5.jpeg

https://cdn3-www.dogtime.com/assets/uploads/gallery/belgian-tervuren-dog-breed-pictures/1-stance.jpg

https://allbigdogbreeds.com/wp-content/gallery/belgian-groenendael/2013HIT2.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/32/15/6d3215453691bba2a81ab7b7d0b0b0e2.jpg
You see the shorter haired ones working primarily because it's much harder to find good working dogs among the long and wire-haired varieties.
Here in the US, that makes sense since they’ve been considered as separate breeds, and bred that way. Which is pretty stupid, really.
Yes and no.  There is a lot of variation.

Many produce BM/DS working lines and you get brindles and fawn/black masks from the same litter, with an occasional other variety.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Gorgeous dogs!
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It doesn’t have to be nearly that much, even if you send it to a professional trainer. That’s well into the realm of ridiculous. There are plenty of other good running buddies, though. Setters, pointers, retrievers, Dalmatians, Huskies, hounds, and plenty of other herding breeds, most of which are a little lower key when it comes to absolute drive to work (and also less prone to biting, because while there are exceptions to the bitey rule, the reality is most Mal owners get chomped at some point). It may be fairly minor and without aggressive intent, but they can be bitey nonetheless.
View Quote
Huskies in Texas is just cruel in my opinion. I have a pointer and she is a crack addict on speed even at 12yrs old. She requires at least 2 hours of pure exercise per day or it's bad....

When I said I wanted a dog for my wife to run with, it was a dog that is a protective dog not just a runner. She doesn't run with a gun and she runs rural county roads and safety is my priority with her. If I had her a dog that it is a badass, my worry level would go down.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
working dogs first, pets 20th lol.

Some can be good with the family, some I wouldnt even let in the house
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Huskies in Texas is just cruel in my opinion. I have a pointer and she is a crack addict on speed even at 12yrs old. She requires at least 2 hours of pure exercise per day or it's bad....

When I said I wanted a dog for my wife to run with, it was a dog that is a protective dog not just a runner. She doesn't run with a gun and she runs rural county roads and safety is my priority with her. If I had her a dog that it is a badass, my worry level would go down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love, love, love my Doberman, and they make excellent running buddies as well as presenting an intimidating appearance. They do have some health problems in the breed, though. A Catahoula could do nicely.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No doubt. But the genetics for “working lines” would be present across the board in a mixed coat litter bred for temperament. Elsewhere, there is no emphasis on coat type when selecting breeding stock, and they are interbred freely.

So it would seem that there is some deliberate selection for coat type, as the working line breeders picked that specific coat to refine for working purposes in the US. The temperaments used to be the same across coat types and are still today where the varieties are interbred. They differ when the coat types are used to differentiate them into separate breeds, which means breeders selected coat type at some point and went from there.
View Quote
There are a few breeders who believe coat/color has a relationship to temperament. They generally tend to keep their opinion to themselves, but if you get them to talk there is a belief that within a single litter the brindle pups ("Dutch Shepherds") will be a little different from the fawns "Malinois". Of course there speaking about non FCI breedings.

Malinios (and non FCI Dutch Shepherds) are unique when it comes to working dogs. Other breeds like Dobermann's and German Shepherd Dogs consider it important to be registered like FCI or AKC. Breeders of working Mal's and DS typically don't care about AKC/FCI type registries.

Americans can take things from around the world and make them better. When it comes to breeding dogs though, we are far behind Europe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i could say i had one for 14 years, but it would be better to say that he had me

great animal.....always looking for where the line is and how far he can go over

it is a constant job to stay on top....and the dog is always "on the job"

he could be flat out sleeping out cold and be up on his feet and ready to go in half a second

oh...and mine would have been barking the whole time for that ball.....

very high prey drive...very protective....very headstrong.....

miss him dearly and would get another in a heart beat........

oh...and they wouldl die for you.......
View Quote
This is accurate, at least for mine. Mine is a mix of cotton candy sweetness (to her family) and pure hatred (for everything she thinks is a threat to her family). An absolutely amazing animal, but requires a lot of work and interaction. We will be getting a second next summer to ruckus with our current 4yo maligator.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
They are cool dogs but way too much for me. My two GSDs keep me busy enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My bel-mal is 10yr old and she help raise 2 grandchildren.  The only people she has bit is me when we were playing. I could tell She knew everytime the skin was broken by her reaction.  Our house is way back in the woods with a lot of dangers for small children.  Woofie would herd the little ones like sheep to keep them out of harms way.  Most Malinois will learn your tempo if you spend time with them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of breeds who will protect against wildlife. Dogs who will actually bite/fight humans are less common and also need a high level of human control. Generally speaking, that means you (on in this case your wife) needs to commit to a lifestyle that involves training and integrating the dog inter her life. The reality is there aren't many people who are willing to commit to that level.

Lots of breeds out there would be good running partners who will bark at someone and try to chase away wildlife.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 12wk old working like Czech GSD.  I can't imagine dealing with a dog that had more energy than her.  And mals do have more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
How do these compare to (say) Rotties?
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
If you get one you need to print off some certificates then you can pretend it's a working dog and take it everywhere with you
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
No comparison. Rotts have nowhere near the drive, stamina, and energy.  Literally not comparable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Half the size, twice or thrice the energy, and at least from my experience much more drive and a stronger work ethic. But they can’t really do “off” days. Sure, you might get the odd lazy one every now and again, but for the most part they need large amounts of physical and mental exercise every day. They need to be given problems to solve and puzzles to work out, and without that and adequate physical exercise each and every day, the majority of them become hyperactive, neurotic messes.

Rotties, on the other hand, are ok with lazy days occasionally. They need their exercise and mental stimulation too, don’t get me wrong, but they’re generally just more laid back in comparison to Mals.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Our female is half Mal and half GSD. She’s a handful but one of the best dogs I’ve ever had.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Smartest dog I've ever had, most protective too.  I doubt someone she doesn't know could get into our girls' rooms without being hurt. Almost 9 and still more energy than most dogs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn good dogs
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Wrong sir. I have a Mal of very good breeding. She was raised a family dog and yes high energy but not insanely so or resorts to aggression. People here making broad characterizations with most not having owned a Mal for many years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#23]
They're beautiful animals and they NEVER stop. Their dial is constantly up to 11.

They're called Fur Missles for a reason.

Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Mal (80 pounds) and a DS (55 pounds) and have to laugh at people commenting on the breeds who only have casual interactions with them or have only been exposed to K9’s.

If you haven’t actually owned and lived with either breed, you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Half the size, twice or thrice the energy, and at least from my experience much more drive and a stronger work ethic. But they can’t really do “off” days. Sure, you might get the odd lazy one every now and again, but for the most part they need large amounts of physical and mental exercise every day. They need to be given problems to solve and puzzles to work out, and without that and adequate physical exercise each and every day, the majority of them become hyperactive, neurotic messes.

Rotties, on the other hand, are ok with lazy days occasionally. They need their exercise and mental stimulation too, don’t get me wrong, but they’re generally just more laid back in comparison to Mals.
View Quote
Ok, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you don't give them an extremely heavy amount of work they will get neurotic and bite people.
View Quote
False. My 2 year old is highly trained, treated as a pet now, doesn't get exercised a great deal and has never, ever bitten anyone or even my other pets. He doesn't get destructive or stir crazy at all.

I think people that have zero experience with the breed just repost bullshit they see elsewhere, similsr to antigun people. Do the dogs require training? yup. Do they run around randomly attacking people? lol, no.

I will never have another breed of dog. A GSD has absolutely nothing on a Malinois as far as physical limitations, they are almost superhuman or superdog.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve got a weim and a vizsla- keeping them entertained could be a full time job.

Energy. For. Days.

Even with that, Mal energy worries me
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wrong sir. I have a Mal of very good breeding. She was raised a family dog and yes high energy but not insanely so or resorts to aggression. People here making broad characterizations with most not having owned a Mal for many years.
View Quote
Yup, there’s people making characterizations that have never owned a Mal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please set us straight.

All I know of the breed is what I’ve read and I’d genuinely like to hear first hand experiences.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I grew up with border collies.  Wife and I have a meal now.

That dog is mamas dog.  She has him off leash trained really well, but he is basically her shadow.  Wherever she goes he goes.  She takes him to work, everywhere.

He is awesome though, and does require daily physical exercise .  Lately he has been chasing a buddy and me on dirt bikes .

The main difference between the mal and the border collie I think is just how rough he plays.

They both can go crazy if they see a new person
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thing is, owning a Mal gives you a single data point. You know the temperament and behavior of your dog. That temperament and behavior may be very typical of the breed or very atypical. Every dog is an individual, and may or may not exhibit individual qualities typical of the breed as a whole. Speaking with numerous breeders and people who have owned and/or worked with many Mals gives you many data points and metadata from which more generalized conclusions may be drawn.

You’ve never owned a pit bull, but wax eloquent about their tendencies all the time, directly contradicting many people who own them and have owned them for many years. How can you do that but cry foul at people stating what nearly every single breeder, K9 officer, and even the national breed club state?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, ours do have body armor...but I was referring to SPK's poor dag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and chest rig
Well, ours do have body armor...but I was referring to SPK's poor dag.
so was I.  his dog had the works.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a Mal (80 pounds) and a DS (55 pounds) and have to laugh at people commenting on the breeds who only have casual interactions with them or have only been exposed to K9’s.

If you haven’t actually owned and lived with either breed, you have no idea what you’re talking about.
View Quote
I agree 100%. 9 years of Mal ownership and breed interaction here. Not a professional trainer but working with my Mal on discipline and being alpha is critical. The Mal needs to live with the family. That means inside and yes dog hair, occasional vomit. Will your wife allow this?? Having a 5 acre property that is parked out also helps for burning energy from my Mal. If you don't have the time, interest and living arrangement it can be beyond what most people will be willing to manage. I come out of my hole on these BM posts because a lot of unqualified over statements are posted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Energy level > GSD is nope for me.
View Quote
My current GSD is a high drive working line dog.  He never stops!   He is relentless in his pursuit of work and play.  Wears me out at times.  Can't imagine owning a Mal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thing is, owning a Mal gives you a single data point. You know the temperament and behavior of your dog. That temperament and behavior may be very typical of the breed or very atypical. Every dog is an individual, and may or may not exhibit individual qualities typical of the breed as a whole. Speaking with numerous breeders and people who have owned and/or worked with many Mals gives you many data points and metadata from which more generalized conclusions may be drawn.

You’ve never owned a pit bull, but wax eloquent about their tendencies all the time, directly contradicting many people who own them and have owned them for many years. How can you do that but cry foul at people stating what nearly every single breeder, K9 officer, and even the national breed club state?
View Quote
I agree with your first paragraph. Assertions and assumptions are made in the second paragraph. Ok. So what do breeders, K9 officers and breed clubs state? High energy, high prey drive, keen intelligence? This means the breed requires certain levels of handling, training, interaction and commitment. This is understood. If you just keep your Mal in the backyard, feed it twice a day, don't train or interact with it and when you give it commands it does not respond and then you yell at your dog you the owner is the root of the problem. I see all too often people yelling at their dogs commands that they were never effectively taught. This just confuses and upsets a dog. I want to speak for the dog by saying: why the f__k are you screaming commands at me that you never taught me you stupid f__k! This describes all too many dog owners.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree with your first paragraph. Assertions and assumptions are made in the second paragraph. Ok. So what do breeders, K9 officers and breed clubs state? High energy, high prey drive, keen intelligence? This means the breed requires certain levels of handling, training, interaction and commitment. This is understood. If you just keep your Mal in the backyard, feed it twice a day, don't train or interact with it and when you give it commands it does not respond and then you yell at your dog you the owner is the root of the problem. I see all too often people yelling at their dogs commands that they were never effectively taught. This just confuses and upsets a dog. I want to speak for the dog by saying: why the f__k are you screaming commands at me that you never taught me you stupid f__k! This describes all too many dog owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Breeders, K9 officers, and the breed club all state exactly what you did: high energy, high drive, and keen intelligence. Which means a commitment to physical and mental exercise.

And we are in absolute agreement about many dog owners, which is why most owners are utterly unsuitable for Malinois ownership. Some realize that, and some don’t.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Is there any credible trainers in Texas?

@saigamanTX
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top