Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2024 5:07:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5]
We got a puppy about 8 weeks ago (puppy is now 18 weeks old) and potty training has gotten better since the day we got her.  We have been use 1 of those cloth/washable puppy pads approx 3'x3' along with a puppy pen (same dimensions and about 3 feet tall).  Anywho, in the last few weeks she has gotten real good about letting us know when she wants to go outside to be let out to go potty.  The issue is while the wife and I are gone at work....Holy hell does she pee on her puppy pad. Flood gates just open.  Don't get me wrong, we trained her to pee on the pad and we don't yell/do anything negative when she does.  And it's been weeks since she's had an accident in the house.  

With that being said, the wife and I ARE gone for a decent amount of time (approximately 8 hours) due to our different work hours 3 days a week, so she is in her pen area the whole time. And her being 18 weeks, I don't expect her to have the "endurance" to hold it that long yet.  But at the same time, there are times we r gone for maybe an hour and she still pees in her pen.   We try out best to limit her water when we know we r leaving for an extended period of time and we make sure she goes right b4 we leave, but she still pees like crazy while we are gone.

Has anyone found a way to solve this issue, or is it just a thing where it will fix itself in time?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on your story I suspect you are not going to get answers you like.   What you describe is why, until my wife retires and she can be home more during the day, we will remain cat people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
8 hours is a long time for any dog.  the last thing the dog wants to do is go in its kennel.  I have GSD/Mal s. Dogs will sleep 16 hours a day but they have to be exhausted.  My thoughts are on the days you are going to need to kennel the pup for eight hours is to get up early and really wear that pup out physically.  20-30 minutes of hard exercise everyday is a good place to start.  Dogs are mans best and are bread for certain Activities.  if you own dogs you owe it to them to keep them active.  My dogs have good ball drive so in 20-30 minutes a day I can give them an exhausting workout.  work your pup hard at least the days you are going to be gone for 8 hour.  your life will improve and so will the pups.  Its worth the commitment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
8 hours is a long time for a full grown dog nevermind a puppy.  You might want to rethink owning a dog until your schedule permits it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Doggy daycare until its a little more mature
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Possible UTI.
Or withhold water. Most dogs have to go several times a day. Have a person come by twice a day to let it out, but that can be expensive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By azmp5:
We got a puppy about 8 weeks ago (puppy is now 18 weeks old) and potty training has gotten better since the day we got her.  We have been use 1 of those cloth/washable puppy pads approx 3'x3' along with a puppy pen (same dimensions and about 3 feet tall).  Anywho, in the last few weeks she has gotten real good about letting us know when she wants to go outside to be let out to go potty.  The issue is while the wife and I are gone at work....Holy hell does she pee on her puppy pad. Flood gates just open.  Don't get me wrong, we trained her to pee on the pad and we don't yell/do anything negative when she does.  And it's been weeks since she's had an accident in the house.  

With that being said, the wife and I ARE gone for a decent amount of time (approximately 8 hours) due to our different work hours 3 days a week, so she is in her pen area the whole time. And her being 18 weeks, I don't expect her to have the "endurance" to hold it that long yet.  But at the same time, there are times we r gone for maybe an hour and she still pees in her pen.   We try out best to limit her water when we know we r leaving for an extended period of time and we make sure she goes right b4 we leave, but she still pees like crazy while we are gone.

Has anyone found a way to solve this issue, or is it just a thing where it will fix itself in time?
View Quote

Sounds to me like your issue is you don’t have time for a dog. Dogs can roughly hold their bladder for 1 hour per month of age. Your pup is 18 weeks she can only hold it roughly 4 hours. Limit her water?! JFC. I don’t know if you’re a troll or just a giant COC. I won’t give further advice because you shouldn’t have a dog.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#7]
Probably going to need to hire someone to come let the dog out or build an outdoor enclosure while you’re gone.  Maybe check for a UTI.  That’s a common problem with puppies and would help the situation.

Some of you need to calm the fuck down…some rare air sitting on your high horse.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
8 hours is a long time for a full grown dog nevermind a puppy.  You might want to rethink owning a dog until your schedule permits it.
View Quote

^^^^^ This, exactly.

Puppy daycare. Or midday let-out service (aka dog walker). It's not a medical problem.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the hour of endurance per month of age. Your dog simply does not have the bladder capacity at this point. Have a trusted neighbor come over for a few months to let them out for a piss and play.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, sounds like you shouldn't have gotten a puppy.   There are ways to housebreak dogs (ie: adjustable crate) but they don't typically apply to leaving puppies alone for 8+ hours a day when their bodies simply can't go as long.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Smaller pen and progressively longer time spent in it
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Puppy pads are part of the problem.  You want to teach her not to pee in her kennel.  Get rid of those and find a way to get her out more often during the day.  

I don’t agree with those that say 8 hours is too long for an adult dog.  They can easily hold their pee longer than that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:44:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Martlet] [#13]
Originally Posted By Wags:
Puppy pads are part of the problem.  You want to teach her not to pee in her kennel.  Get rid of those and find a way to get her out more often during the day.  

I don’t agree with those that say 8 hours is too long for an adult dog.  They can easily hold their pee longer than that.
View Quote

One of my dogs asks to go out twice a day.  That's it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
In my experience with raising/training/enjoying five plus pups, 8 week old puppies need to: potty every 20-30 minutes, almost immediately after they’ve drunk water or finished eating, before they are put to “bed” and immediately after they get up in the morning or from a nap.

In my experience, this promptly educates them as too where they are supposed to potty.  As they grow older and in size it, they will learn where their bathroom is which is NOT the house.

Again, this is just me…
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
You are teaching your dog to pee on a pad. If it is there, it will pee on it.
I had friends that used them. Once the dogs were grown, if you didn't leave them out right away, they would go to a throw rug and pee on that.

8 hrs is pushing it a bit for a dog that age.
I would look into someone coming in at lunch time to let it out, if possible.

I am for crating the dog while gone. Buy one just big enough for when the dog is full grown.
Cut a piece of plywood that will fit inside and drill holes in the corners to zip tie it fast to the crate.
Only give enough room for the dog to turn around and lie down. As it grows, you move the panel back until the dog is full grown.
Unless the dog is retarded, like my sisters Golden was, they will not pee in their crate.
We had no issue with our Lab in housebreaking him this way.
We even had him trained to pretty much pee on command.
And, No, crates are not inhumane.
Ours had no issue going in his. Hell, if there was too much going on in the house, he would go to his crate to get some peace.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
View Quote

Agreed. 8 hours IS a long time. And I'm in no way blaming the dog for going.  Again, she is a puppy so I don't expect it to be able to hold it thst long.  That being said, I've had dogs all my life and it's been about 12ish years since we had a puppy.  We also have a 13 year old dog and she has no issues holding it all day. Infact all my dogs never had an issue holding it for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Possible UTI.
Or withhold water. Most dogs have to go several times a day. Have a person come by twice a day to let it out, but that can be expensive.
View Quote

We also thought UTI But she isn't really showing any signs of it.  She has her normal vet appointment next week and we already called and asked them to add checking for it on top of her normal check up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
You live in a apartment or a house or, if a house can you install a doggie door and create a fenced area for said pup to take care of business?    Also pending how safe it is where you live so you don't have to throw yourself on the hood of a car.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Knightmare_23:

Sounds to me like your issue is you don’t have time for a dog. Dogs can roughly hold their bladder for 1 hour per month of age. Your pup is 18 weeks she can only hold it roughly 4 hours. Limit her water?! JFC. I don’t know if you’re a troll or just a giant COC. I won’t give further advice because you shouldn’t have a dog.
View Quote

Wow..I think you are going alittle extreme with what you THINK I'm doing.  All my dogs have water bowls filled with water and food and are all "free eaters"

When I say withhold water, I'm saying that if I'm leaving for work abd the wife won't b home for 8 hours, I'm going to pick up the water bowl an hour or 2 before I leave, this way she isn't drinking a shit ton of water right b4 I leave.  Maybe you just need to switch to decaf??
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Probably going to need to hire someone to come let the dog out or build an outdoor enclosure while you’re gone.  Maybe check for a UTI.  That’s a common problem with puppies and would help the situation.

Some of you need to calm the fuck down…some rare air sitting on your high horse.
View Quote

Her mom lives near by and swings by every now and again to let her out.  

Again, the wife and I 100% get she's a puppy.  Let along 18 weeks.  We don't EXPECT her to be able to hold it for a long time yet.  I am just wondering if there are any ways I can help speed up the process through either some kind of training. Short if that, it's just going yo take time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Seastate:
I'll second the hour of endurance per month of age. Your dog simply does not have the bladder capacity at this point. Have a trusted neighbor come over for a few months to let them out for a piss and play.
View Quote

Again, kinda where I'm thinking I'm at.  I can't compare the bladder of a 13 year old dog to a puppy.  Well..I guess on the dog... a 13 year old and puppy would have the same bladder
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Martlet:

One of my dogs asks to go out twice a day.  That's it.
View Quote

My last dog that just passed abd my current 13 year old dog are once a day dogs. They woke up, moved from the bed to the couch. Racked out for another hour or so till I fed them.  Then they would go outside, do their business,  come back in and go back to the couch.  

Granted, my other dogs are pretty chill / couch potatoes pits.  This puppy is a boxer mix (we think maybe cattle dog) so the energy level is through the roof.  But our day consists of the wife waking up in the morning, letting her out, about 15-20 mins of play time, wife gets ready for work/leaves and the puppy goes back to sleep on the bed with me and the other dog.  I wake up about 2 hrs later, let the dogs outside, and take the puppy for a 2 mile walk.  Then we get home, feed the dogs and take a shower.  Usually after that there is some fetch/running I have her do and get ready to leave.  By then she's racked out on the bed and I move her to the kennel
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By azmp5:

Her mom lives near by and swings by every now and again to let her out.  

Again, the wife and I 100% get she's a puppy.  Let along 18 weeks.  We don't EXPECT her to be able to hold it for a long time yet.  I am just wondering if there are any ways I can help speed up the process through either some kind of training. Short if that, it's just going yo take time.
View Quote

No, unless there’s a UTI going on.  Just needs to grow out of puppy bladder.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wags:

View Quote

Tbh, this is where I feel I'm messing up as well.  The kennel was bigger and I have slowly made it smaller, thinking thar would help her not wanna pee where she sleeps.  But at the same time, we have taught her it's ok to pee on the puppy pad, she she knows to do it there.  Only other thing I can think of is we have a regular kennel with a dog bed that's roughly the same size.  

And yes.. adult dogs can hold it for 8 hours or more.  I'm sure when the dogs I have now were puppies, I was going through the same thing.  Only thing different is we didn't use puppy pads back then. Just had the kennel with a dog bed.  If they peed, we would wash the dog bed and put it back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
You live in a apartment or a house or, if a house can you install a doggie door and create a fenced area for said pup to take care of business?    Also pending how safe it is where you live so you don't have to throw yourself on the hood of a car.
View Quote

We are in a house.  We have never had a doggie door, as again, all our prior dogs have been fine holding it.  There have been many times the wife and I decided to take a trip up north and we were gone for 12+ hours, fully expecting 1 of the dogs to have am accident, but they never did.  But again, we r talking adult dogs...not a 18 week old puppy.  

This dog though is probably the exact opposite of the kind of dog we have had.  Aka ball of energy.  We r use to couch potatoes from day 1.  But its also good cause it's getting us out and about and she's getting some good exercise
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gnu235:
In my experience with raising/training/enjoying five plus pups, 8 week old puppies need to: potty every 20-30 minutes, almost immediately after they’ve drunk water or finished eating, before they are put to “bed” and immediately after they get up in the morning or from a nap.

In my experience, this promptly educates them as too where they are supposed to potty.  As they grow older and in size it, they will learn where their bathroom is which is NOT the house.

Again, this is just me…
View Quote

This is almost exactly what we have done since we got her at 10 weeks old.  When we r home, she is now at the point where she tells us she needs outside *swipes at the door or just stands next to it.  Besides that, we still go out right after eating and right before/after she takes a nap.  She has all that down like a champ...its just while we are gone is the issue.  **as I've stated, I get she's still a puppy so I don't blame her for peeing while we are gone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Probably going to need to hire someone to come let the dog out or build an outdoor enclosure while you're gone.  Maybe check for a UTI.  That's a common problem with puppies and would help the situation.

Some of you need to calm the fuck down some rare air sitting on your high horse.
View Quote
To beardog30's 1st point I agree...  Dogs really are a lot of work.  They need feed, pottied, attention and something to burn off energy. A bored dog is much more likely to tear up stuff, dig holes, run away, get into stuff they shouldn't, etc...

We live out on Farm land, outside of town and have two 100+Lbs dogs.
The wife and I fenced in a square area right behind the house/back doors, I used to let them out when I came home on lunch.
Then I had to many times where I could not come home on lunch and they would have an accident.
So then we put in a doggy door they can both fit though.

Now they go in and out if they have to potty or want to do a protect or as needed.
We haven't had an accident in over a year now.

To beardog30's 2nd point, Some of the point aren't wrong, its the ole, not what you said, but how you said it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Those fucking pee pads just promote going in the house. My dog goes out twice a day weather he wants to or not. Its all about conditioning. When they are young you have to be ready at a moments notice to take them out every time they get something to eat or drink cause the last food and water will be ready to exit stage left. When they go you throw a little potty party with praise before you bring them back in the house. Over a short amount of time they quickly learn that the shitter is outside for them and they will be able to hold it a little longer each day as time goes on. Heck there are days when I get home from work and ask Otis if he wants to go out, and he just stands there looking at me cause he doesnt have to go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
Those fucking pee pads just promote going in the house. My dog goes out twice a day weather he wants to or not. Its all about conditioning. When they are young you have to be ready at a moments notice to take them out every time they get something to eat or drink cause the last food and water will be ready to exit stage left. When they go you throw a little potty party with praise before you bring them back in the house. Over a short amount of time they quickly learn that the shitter is outside for them and they will be able to hold it a little longer each day as time goes on. Heck there are days when I get home from work and ask Otis if he wants to go out, and he just stands there looking at me cause he doesnt have to go.
View Quote

There will also be days when fido can't help but have an 'accident'.

Where do you want it to happen at?

On the pee pad (or other designated area) or...

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Developing bladder control is partly development of the muscles, and awareness of the urge to empty the bladder.  Eight hours is a long time for any creature to hold its urine...try it yourself.

Having the puppy pad out for your dog is a good idea.  Things will improve in time.  You could try limiting water intake, but I don't think that is nearly as good of an idea as allowing the young dog to continue using the puppy pad.  

Part of the pups urination could also be from anxiety about being left alone.  You might try working on reducing separation anxiety.  I figure that expecting very young or very old dogs to hold their urine for much more than 4 hours is pretty optimistic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Small update....since it's only been a week.  Wife and I went out of town for the weekend and had a friend house/dog sit for us.  

Of course while we are gone, she had zero accidents and was good at letting our friend know when she needed out.  He also made sure to take her outside multiple times a day, and of course b4 and after she slept.  He said he left for a few hours here and there and no accidents at all.  

I do feel the pee pads are a "crutch" but at the same time, since we r gone for 8 hrs, they are helpful.  Since she has been improving, I'm sure in a while she will be able to hold it while we r gone.  Till then we will just keep doing what we r doing and hope she keeps improving on letting us knownwhen she wants out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:51:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#32]
Originally Posted By Knightmare_23:

Sounds to me like your issue is you don't have time for a dog. Dogs can roughly hold their bladder for 1 hour per month of age. Your pup is 18 weeks she can only hold it roughly 4 hours. Limit her water?! JFC. I don't know if you're a troll or just a giant COC. I won't give further advice because you shouldn't have a dog.
View Quote

Yep. When I got Barrett, my niece helped me out with him until he was 7 months old (she got a job and couldnt keep coming over). He was pretty good about holding it. By time he was 9 months he could be left out of his pen when I was at work. Had puppy pads in the kitchen where his pen is JIC. If my niece couldnt help me, I wasnt getting a puppy.

Barrett now can go 11-12hrs. Most the time he's out like a light in the chair.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#33]
** since this post was bumped ill give a small update.
She is doing alot better.  We made the space she had alittle smaller and eventually transitioned her from the puppy pen to a kennel.  We still have her mom stop by around 7ish to check on her.  When she was still in the puppy pen every now and again she would have an accident but now that she's in the kennel she hasn't had one since.  I'll prob still ask her mom to swing by for another few weeks and if she's accident free till then, then I'll have her stop swinging by.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top