Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Works for me!
New Lodge pan in the pantry.
View Quote
Ita all a new pan needs. All the other rituals are kind of fun though but I just did a new Lodge last week. One coating of seasoning and its been cooking since nonstop. No problems at all.

Right now I have a vintage lodge thats getting only one seasoning before use while I retire my old Griswold that I just put on Fleabay
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The nice thing about cast iron, is even if you do it wrong, ( and I’m not gonna bother quoting and arguing with the many posts In this thread ) simply using the damn thing over time will correct it.. key points you want to use an oil or fat that needs at least a 400 degree smoke point, and season with that.. also smoother is better, you can smooth the pan before you season it, or just use it for ever and it will eventually become smooth.. the average user who only uses cast iron for special occasions, or just to fry bacon isn’t going to known the difference between a proper seasoning and surface.. so it makes little sense to some to spend the time and do it properly.. however, castiron if done correctly can replace all 98% of your cookware.. the only thing I use in my kitchen besides cast iron is a pot for Boilling water, a croc pot and a Pyrex pan for lasagna.. anything and everything else gets cooked in cast iron..

My work horse the 15 incher here with some pizza in it
Attachment Attached File

These are my main cooking tools.. 3in-12inch
Attachment Attached File

I have a few Dutch ovens and other older pieces aswell..
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats a cool storage block that you made
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thats a cool storage block that you made
View Quote
Y thank you
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure grandma and great grandma just cooked in them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Cook bacon.  A lot of bacon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get a quality non stick and don't look back.

I don't miss my cast iron at all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
A good cast iron is practically non-stick, the downside is you have to watch your heat a lot more.

With my non-stick I an go higher heat without sticking.

With the cast iron medium is way too high for most things because of how much heat it actually holds.

I seared some steaks last night and when I was done a quick scrape and I wiped it down and it was clean.

However, when I first dug it recently out after sitting for awhile I managed to weld an egg right to it because I had the heat adjusted like I was using my non-stick.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Heat it up and rub some oil or grease all over it and then simply use it
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Scrub very clean... Dry

Heat up cranking hot. Kill the flame

Rub rub bacon grease.... Smoke

Reheat

Re apply

Repeat
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Bacon cooked in sausage fat cooked in crisco.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Y thank you
View Quote
I bet if you tweaked it a bit and had a brand logo you could sell those to collectors.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
All quality non stick fails at some point and you literally end up eating the coating.  Stainless is the way to go if you want a pan thats does it all and is relatively nonstick if you season it and care for it. But a properly seasoned iron or stainless pan can do what a good nonstick pan does for the mostt part.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The nice thing about cast iron,

I have a few Dutch ovens and other older pieces aswell..
View Quote
Nice rack!
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#15]
It is a pan you will use your whole life, so jsut use it, over the course of a few days the seasoning will build up.

You can go through the fetishization 'seasoning' process or you can just use it.  Depends if your fetish is cast iron pans or not.

It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]
While we're talking cast iron, lets talk cleaning.

Sometimes I get a little crazy with the heat and burn shit in it.
I've found that after use, I just put a glass of water in it while still hot. Let it simmer, rinse, then use course salt and a paper towel.
Comes out perfect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bet if you tweaked it a bit and had a brand logo you could sell those to collectors.
View Quote
You would laugh if you saw how I made that and what I used lol it’s merely a proof of concept.. works well.. I want to make it so it works flat like in the pic, or wall mounted..
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the best is a pound of bacon over hot coals because its best to do it outside.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I do mine on the barbecue grill.  Wipe it all over with grapeseed oil, put it on the grill, set it to high and come back in an hour.  Let it cool completely, wipe it down again and repeat.
View Quote
This is the correct method. Grapeseed oil is the best oil that you can get easily.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Use a disc sander, starting with 80 grit and working down to 600 grit hand finishing to polish the inside of the pan to about a half inch up the sides. Then fill with water and boil, dump the water, scrub,  boil again, then dry.

Wipe down with bacon grease and place in oven for an hour at 400 degrees.

Cook lots of bacon in it and wipe down with grease after each use.

Seems to work pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#21]
flaxseed oil

Preheat the pan at 200F to open the pores.  Then wipe a thin layer of flaxseed oil.  Oven at 450F for an hour or so and turn off, let it cool in oven.  Repeat.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I personally take a wire brush to a new one and get the nasty off.
I sometimes grind the main center and get it smooth.

Fire up the propane grill to 1000 degrees. (More like 600)
Crisco, 1 hr
Relather, 1 more hour
Grill off, let it cool on its own.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I got bored this morning and decided to dig out a cast iron griddle I've had since we moved it.

It's always sucked because its low quality, they never finished the cook surface after casting it.

I got it pretty good, but I would have rather used a flap wheel and a sand blaster. I'm out of flap wheels and it's too cold to sandblash, and I'm not leaving the house today, so belt sander it was. I got a lot of material off, the cook surface finish was rough.

I'm gonna season it on the grill in a bit and try to cook on it later, hopefully it's improved. If it still sucks I'm gonna turn it into a .22 target out back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Use a disc sander, starting with 80 grit and working down to 600 grit hand finishing to polish the inside of the pan to about a half inch up the sides. Then fill with water and boil, dump the water, scrub,  boil again, then dry.

Wipe down with bacon grease and place in oven for an hour at 400 degrees.

Cook lots of bacon in it and wipe down with grease after each use.

Seems to work pretty well for me.
View Quote
Pssst, just using it normally will work as well.  I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Get it really hot. Put cooking oil on paper towels. Wipe. Turn off heat. Cook with it. Repeat as necessary, which won't be much pretty soon. This works as well  as anything and better than most. People needlessly over-complicate cast iron.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Dumb rookie question time, but does it actually hurt anything washing them with soap and water so long as its seasoned afterwords?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dumb rookie question time, but does it actually hurt anything washing them with soap and water so long as its seasoned afterwords?
View Quote
No. Although some people will tell you it's the same as painting over a piece of fine art.

If you need to wash it go ahead, then if it does need a re-seaon after that give it a quick one and carry on.

I wash mine about once a week, just a light sponging with soap, the season usually stays intact.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not since the 40's. Modern soap does not contain Lye. That is what will guarantee strip the old seasoning out but it modern soap will absolutely not harm your seasoning. Taking hard scrubbers are your enemy on modern iron, not soap.  Most cases all you should need to do is wipe with paper towel but of needed, soap wont hurt  a thing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
hey look the 100th cast iron seasoning thread
View Quote
and look... here you are?    I dont get why people get pissy and triggered over threads.  If they bother you, dont open them.

Some of us haven't seen the others.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1. My antique smooth stuff cooks just as good as the ones I bought last week. No magic or time consuming rituals or physical work required. I am sure some like a project but if one feels they need a smooth pan, they can  grab smooth vintage pans for 10-30 bucks all day and save the trouble.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Cook bacon in it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't have time for lots of bacon, but I do have lots of bacon grease. That's what I'm doing now. The griddle will likely get daily use cooking sausage and bacon this weekend, as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bacon. Lots of bacon.
I don't have time for lots of bacon, but I do have lots of bacon grease. That's what I'm doing now. The griddle will likely get daily use cooking sausage and bacon this weekend, as well.
If you don't have time to cook a few batches of bacon, then you don't have time to care for a cast iron skillet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No. Although some people will tell you it's the same as painting over a piece of fine art.

If you need to wash it go ahead, then if it does need a re-seaon after that give it a quick one and carry on.

I wash mine about once a week, just a light sponging with soap, the season usually stays intact.
View Quote
Quoted:

Not since the 40's. Modern soap does not contain Lye. That is what will guarantee strip the old seasoning out but it modern soap will absolutely not harm your seasoning. Taking hard scrubbers are your enemy on modern iron, not soap.  Most cases all you should need to do is wipe with paper towel but of needed, soap wont hurt  a thing.
View Quote
Right on, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Right on, thanks guys!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on, thanks guys!
Just remember to either oil it or use it after you wash it, it might rust if you just toss it into the cupboard or something.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you don't have time to cook a few batches of bacon, then you don't have time to care for a cast iron skillet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bacon. Lots of bacon.
Gee, thanks. I was wondering what asshat would come along without the capability to read, and here you are.

As I stated in my original post, I am taking this griddle on a camping trip in less than 36 hours now, and I don't have time to cook a bunch of bacon just for the purpose of seasoning a griddle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Flax seed oil at 500 for 1 hour repeat till the pan is like teflon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Cook bacon. Do not use soap afterwards. Pour the grease into a glass jar and toss it. I use a pasta sauce glass jar that I keep under the sink and throw it out when full from grease.
Get the pan very hot, pour very hot tap water over it and scrub the cast iron with a natural bristle brush while it's still deglazing.
Rinse the pan.
Put the pan back on the heat until dry.
Sometimes I'll wipe it with a paper towel if I didn't brush it well enough.
I've never lost the seasoning, except when an in-law cleans my cast iron for me when I'm not looking.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Flax seed oil at 500 for 1 hour repeat till the pan is like teflon.
View Quote
LOL Thats takes nearly an entire day. He said he was a bit pressed for time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I use nothing but a thick coating of bacon grease to season. 450-500* for an hour.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]
For God's sake.  Just use it.  It will be perfect in no time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I salvaged an antique griddle.

A tub of lard and an LP fish fryer stand worked good for me. Just keep coating and burning. Few cycles and it's ready to go, get some good gloves and a pair of channel locks to handle the cast iron though. Do it outside should go without saying. LOL

Oh, and never ever wash with soap.  Only scour out with hot water with a SS scouring pad. Then oil and put away
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For God's sake.  Just use it.  It will be perfect in no time.
View Quote
While the most succinct answer it also happens to be the most correct one as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh, and never ever wash with soap.  Only scour out with hot water with a SS scouring pad. Then oil and put away
View Quote
Modern soap is fine to use, old time soap (Lye?  maybe) woudl strip the seasoning.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Right on, thanks guys!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on, thanks guys!
The flip side is, I'm not sure that there is really a reason to use soap.

Water and abrasion will remove schmutz, and heat will kill bacteria and germs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Bacon is not really the best thing to cook for seasoning.  Bake cornbread and biscuits instead.  Bacon can produce a dull surface due to the sugars in it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the input. I had the time and I wanted the pan to have the same interior finish as my grandmother's Birmingham Ironworks skillet, so I made it happen.

Don't want to do that with your pans? Cool.

You mind yours and I'll mind mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Bacon is not really the best thing to cook for seasoning.  Bake cornbread and biscuits instead.  Bacon can produce a dull surface due to the sugars in it.
View Quote
How the hell does that work?

Bacon is a 0g carb food. Cornbread and biscuits are almost entirely carbs and sugars.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How the hell does that work?

Bacon is a 0g carb food. Cornbread and biscuits are almost entirely carbs and sugars.
View Quote
Bacon is loaded with actual sugar in most cases. The kind that sticks and burns. Carbs and dietary sugars are entirely only matter on ingestion, not a hot surface.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not hot enough to season ,your looking to polymerize the fat. 450-500 degrees for an hour then wipe with fat again then another hour. I use Crisco with good results.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/229367/20171126_113035_jpg-849987.JPG
View Quote
I didn't know Jøtul made cast iron pans. The only thing we had for heat when I was growing up was Jøtul 118 wood stove, It kept use toasty on many a cold winter nights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Forget all the secret handshake BS.  Wash it with soap and hot water, rinse it thoroughly, wipe it dry, then put it on the stove top.  Heat it on low to medium for 15 to 20 minutes, then put a little oil, a puddle the size of a quarter or so, in the bottom.  Wipe it around well, removing any excess.  Put it away.  Repeat after each use, but never use soap on it again if you can help it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top