Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2022 2:16:02 PM EDT
Mrs Rabinowitz is 5’ tall. That means that some of our cabinet shelves are way too high unless she has a step ladder and/or me to reach stuff for her.

I have heard about swing down shelves for cabinets. They look great.

The ones I’ve seen drop down 12” at most. I’m not sure that’s enough for her.

If you have experience with such shelving your insight is greatly appreciated.

Obligatory picture taken at a recent wedding. Not our name.  I’m average height. For scale she is even in heels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Grow up ~ Bollocks44
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen any of these.
We just did a kitchen remodel and have a double stack of wall cabinets, the bottom cabinets are extra tall then you add a row on top of that.
There is no way we can reach the top shelf on the bottom cabinet much less the shelves on the top cabinet.
We just use step stools or a ladder.
The top cabinets are used for the things only needed a few times during the year.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
There's this: hideaway step

or this: Overpriced Step ladder
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. Never heard of these types of shelves. Honestly I would be worried about how long they would last. Seems like a complicated and probably expensive solution for something that could be solved with a small step ladder along with putting the often used items in a different cabinet that can be reached.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to look for ada approved shelf accessories. Shelfgenie.com comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
What about one of the sliding ladders always seen in the old horror movies, for getting books off the higher shelves.  Not as costly and easier to install.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
A broken hip can be costly.  We ain't getting any younger.

Wife uses a step and I hate it, not very safe.  I hope someone posts some of these cabinet photos.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you google some veterans homes you may get a name or something. I see them on commercials often. Haven’t seen or installed any though. Maybe disabled? Or ADA websites?

Put the liquor and new guns on top shelf so she’ll never find them

Rev a shelf is lower tier
https://www.ovisonline.com/Handicap-Accessibility--C112.aspx

https://rev-a-shelf.com/2552
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Well shit mah britches,  lookee here.

I worked in a cabinet store a bit and never seen this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top