Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/20/2022 1:50:23 PM EDT
It all started about 16 years ago now when I got the car bug you can say.

Always wanted a old mid to late 70s Pontaic or Oldsmobile or some 80s Honda or later some sort of Fiat.

But in that time things changed.

Older Gen-Xers like my parents have toy money now that the kids are out of the house, now they want the cars of their high-school years, Grand prixs, 98s, Thunderbirds, Bonneville you name it.

All the big beasts of the mid to late 70s, they all have gone up in price by alot.

Since I'm unreasonable, i want time capsules, things you would see at a big time auto museum, I want shit in immaculate condition, I don't want shit where I'm going to have to rebuild and repaint immediately, Don't have tens of thousands to just dump into a thing, I demand the cleanest slate possible.

10 years ago I could get a legitimate sub 25k mile on the clock 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix, my favorite car, for 15k, now? 30k to 40k

I could get a Cordoba in the same condition for 10k, now? 20 to 30, many Olds the same

Don't get me started on Japanese cars, mint civic SI are going for a 30 grand now

And then there is Fiat, which I can still find for reasonable prices but there's the issue that they are typically over a 1000 miles away and since most of them are tiny cars you can't really think to drive them all the way back at most 55 miles per hour tops, Also if it breaks down nobody has any parts on the shelf in the entire country, it all has to come from Western or now mostly Eastern Europe.

So now here I sit, like usual, with my life, Fate, again tells me ... "No" ... like it has with so many things, Fate dangles things in front of me only to take it away all becuase I was born too early, or to late.

So I must take anything I can get, if it's got under 50k ligit miles, no rust, complete, under 15k cash and from the 70s I must get it as long as it's not a Chevrolet Buick or Cadillac as they are just truly intolerable for me.

God danm it all.

I guess that old rolling stone song is right.

You can't always get what you want.

But if you try sometimes, well, you just might find.

You get what you need.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
So to be clear - you are saying that you are going to buy a Tesla?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I was close to pulling the trigger on an El Camino a few years back - now I regret it that I didn't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So to be clear - you are saying that you are going to buy a Tesla?
View Quote

I don't recognize that joke but yes definitely not.

If I did have to get an electric vehicle it would be some sort of Kia, the EV6 is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
This concludes today's episode of "The Facts of Life" with LittlePony.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck because the cool car market if fucking retarded right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere in a senior park, a Lincoln Mark V is waiting for you...
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
GMT400's are the new squarebody too. They think a 230 hp TBI 454 SS truck is fast.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I want flying cars, let’s just cut to the chase. Yes the stupid will off themselves in short order but so be it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I am Gen X. I want all kinds of things that I can't reasonably have.  Welcome to life, it is the same for most everyone.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
People used to give me shit about my '69 Gran Prix not being a real musclecar until they rode in it, so I'm sympathetic.

But a '77? Really?

Back in the 90's a buddy inherited a lime green '78 Cadillac. If you're going to have sex in a car, that's the one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a hurst olds with the lighting rod shifters I may know of one in a barn for sale
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't a Kia just a rebrand Hyundai?

Are your coworkers jealous because you recently received a service award and they got the shaft?

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Mercury Marquis Coupes fit your criteria easily.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude, "barn finds" are still a thing. My buddy picked up a one owner, 12k miles 1971 c10 shortbed for $500 2 months ago. Oil change, tires, and a battery is all it took to drive it home. Paint is 8/10 and the interior is a 9/10. It's currently at our buddy's body shop getting the chrome buffed and polished and the interior brought up to a 10/10 (the drivers seat is stained and there are some marks on the dash).
You have to be actively looking for them, and constantly talking to the old people. It's amazing what they have stashed and are willing to give up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like you lp
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This concludes today's episode of "The Facts of Life" with LittlePony.
View Quote

Kinda
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I drove a Mandarin Orange Cutlass Salon with t-tops and white vinyl interior in high school.  It was awesome!  Good luck LP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Always wanted a old mid to late 70s Pontaic or Oldsmobile or some 80s Honda or later some sort of Fiat.

Older Gen-Xers like my parents have toy money now that the kids are out of the house, now they want the cars of their high-school years, Grand prixs, 98s, Thunderbirds, Bonneville you name it.

All the big beasts of the mid to late 70s, they all have gone up in price by alot.

Since I'm unreasonable, i want time capsules, things you would see at a big time auto museum, I want shit in immaculate condition, I don't want shit where I'm going to have to rebuild and repaint immediately, Don't have tens of thousands to just dump into a thing, I demand the cleanest slate possible.

10 years ago I could get a legitimate sub 25k mile on the clock 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix, my favorite car, for 15k, now? 30k to 40k

I could get a Cordoba in the same condition for 10k, now? 20 to 30, many Olds the same

Don't get me started on Japanese cars, mint civic SI are going for a 30 grand now

And then there is Fiat, which I can still find for reasonable prices but there's the issue that they are typically over a 1000 miles away and since most of them are tiny cars you can't really think to drive them all the way back at most 55 miles per hour tops, Also if it breaks down nobody has any parts on the shelf in the entire country, it all has to come from Western or now mostly Eastern Europe.

So now here I sit, like usual, with my life, Fate, again tells me ... "No" ... like it has with so many things, Fate dangles things in front of me only to take it away all becuase I was born too early, or to late.

So I must take anything I can get, if it's got under 50k ligit miles, no rust, complete, under 15k cash and from the 70s I must get it as long as it's not a Chevrolet Buick or Cadillac as they are just truly intolerable for me.

God danm it all.

You get what you need.
View Quote

"I could get a Cordoba..."

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like you lp
View Quote

Your location shows as Thailand.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Isn't a Kia just a rebrand Hyundai?

Are your coworkers jealous because you recently received a service award and they got the shaft?

View Quote

First question, no, not quite.

Second, some no some yes.

@kcolg30
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mercury Marquis Coupes fit your criteria easily.
View Quote

One I saw that i wanted is $28000
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
That dream died when Cash for Clunkers came about.

I've been wanting a 1974 Ford truck forever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God danm it all.

You get what you need.

With rich Corinthian leather.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Look for a late 80’s Chrysler Fifth Avenue. It’ll keep you plenty busy chasing all those vacuum lines and gaskets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have also come into their parents money as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m sure you look at Bring a Trailer.
LoL that shit is crazy on there, but I see some cool stuff!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dude, "barn finds" are still a thing. My buddy picked up a one owner, 12k miles 1971 c10 shortbed for $500 2 months ago. Oil change, tires, and a battery is all it took to drive it home. Paint is 8/10 and the interior is a 9/10. It's currently at our buddy's body shop getting the chrome buffed and polished and the interior brought up to a 10/10 (the drivers seat is stained and there are some marks on the dash).
You have to be actively looking for them, and constantly talking to the old people. It's amazing what they have stashed and are willing to give up.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to have a 78 Monte Carlo. I loved it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Look for a late 80’s Chrysler Fifth Avenue. It’ll keep you plenty busy chasing all those vacuum lines and gaskets.
View Quote

Just no
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

With rich Corinthian leather.....
View Quote

I know my own needs ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Paid $1800 in 1992 for a clean, 350/Turbo 350, A/C 1972 Chevelle

added:

cheap built a 400sb

shift kit

3:31 posi

front discs

daily driver smooth

13.98 thru the Flowmasters

once upon a time

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

One I saw that i wanted is $28000
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#33]
There will be reasonably priced barn finds for a while yet that need your skills. Get something with a straight body that needs some TLC.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]
You're young, and a good mechanic, buy an old beater, fix it up.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Triumph TR6? Those things were a handful (maintenance) but the rewards were great. Beautiful little cars.

ETA: Or, my favorite rice burner of all time - Toyota MKi MR2. Still miss (and reminisce about) the one I had.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#37]
There will be a correction soon
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I wish I still had my midnight blue ‘78 T-Bird. I bought it new in the Fall of ‘77. And my ‘70 Bronco.

Selling them were two of the top ten dumb things I’ve done.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#39]
These first world problems make me so sad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not bad but not good enough

Also Ford is my last resort.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#41]
A while back someone local was selling a near mint 80's era lincoln.   I wanted that thing so bad but the problem was that all the hoses and stuff will likely be cracking and leaking since the rubber and plastic is 40 years old.   We needed a functional beater so didn't buy it, but damn, those big cushy lux cars of that era were sweet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Triumph TR6? Those things were a handful (maintenance) but the rewards were great. Beautiful little cars.

ETA: Or, my favorite rice burner of all time - Toyota MKi MR2. Still miss (and reminisce about) the one I had.
View Quote

British? Ha, no.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

British? Ha, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

British? Ha, no.

Yeah. You gotta swap out all the electronics. Replace all of that stuff. You know, like a Cadillac!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Somewhere in a senior park, a Lincoln Mark V is waiting for you...
View Quote

Mark V is my fav Ford but they are money pits to keep going even more than Chrysler of the era, interior stuff that is, They also barely fit in my garage and are a little too common

But if I find one, I'm taking it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#46]
People want what they grew up with and it doesn't become cool until they hit their mid 30's/40's.

I've watched the "cool collectible car" market evolve in my lifetime from:

50's cars to
60's cars to
70's cars to
80's cars to
Now the 90's cars are getting popular.

Obviously the mid-late 60's and early 70's muscle cars will always have a wide audience but it seems like the 50's BelAir/Cadillac market has cooled wayyyy off from where it was 20 years ago because the fans of those cars are dying off.

In another 10-20 years, the early 2000's cars will be way up in value as a collector's item.  It's already happening with cars like the Honda S-2000.

In other words, you missed the boat and should have bought your dream car 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1975 Lincoln Continental Coupe
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#48]

I have been to that place quite a few times, it's only 2 ours away, Sadly they don't have anything truly nice nice nice in my budget
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People want what they grew up with and it doesn't become cool until they hit their mid 30's/40's.

I've watched the "cool collectible car" market evolve in my lifetime from:

50's cars to
60's cars to
70's cars to
80's cars to
Now the 90's cars are getting popular.

Obviously the mid-late 60's and early 70's muscle cars will always have a wide audience but it seems like the 50's BelAir/Cadillac market has cooled wayyyy off from where it was 20 years ago because the fans of those cars are dying off.

In another 10-20 years, the early 2000's cars will be way up in value as a collector's item.  It's already happening with cars like the Honda S-2000.

In other words, you missed the boat and should have bought your dream car 10 years ago.
View Quote

Sadly it was impossible for a college kid living on Campbell's chunky soup at the time
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Hmmmmm, not the highest optioned one out there but looks like we might need to take a look next weekend
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top