Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, I closely associate Millennials with 13ers for some reason.  I'm sure there's a connection there.
View Quote
1984 13er checking in. I just appreciate the opportunity to entertain those that grace me with their attention. I’ll be in the back if you guys need me.

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
78 here. We played Oregon Trail in school.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I distinctly remember burning one of these. The amount of black smoke it put out was impressive

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58021/F7FE2CA5-36CD-43A6-B524-744E13AFDD1F_jpeg-959952.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1985...I’ve been going through all my old legos lately from the early 90s.  Took me hard back to my childhood.  Also, went through my gi joes as well.
I blew up most of my GI joes with firecrackers, or melted them with a magnifying glass.   I cry as an adult, because I'm sure theyre worth a pretty penny nowadays
I distinctly remember burning one of these. The amount of black smoke it put out was impressive

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58021/F7FE2CA5-36CD-43A6-B524-744E13AFDD1F_jpeg-959952.JPG
Y’all are a special kind of stupid aren’t y’all?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
'82 here and I don't find myself having any traits of this "milleniall" group people want to lump me in to. The whole idea you can just put everyone from a period of time into a box and define them is stupid anyway.
View Quote
Yeah I woukd have to agree, my parents were boomers and vietnam gen.  going into the mid 90s with births the parents were born in the 70s instead of the late 40s/50s.  The difference is immeasurable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
No reason to get upset about it.  It's not like people are suddenly different if they were born between certain years.  But the birth years 1981-1996 are considered the Millennial generation, I've seen some use 1977-1995 for the Millennials.

I am Xgen, I'm the same age as the characters who played in movies like War Games, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, my oldest son just barely made the cut-off for Millennials, he was born in 1995.   My other three are Zgen.

I wouldn't take the label so serious.  My son has worked hard his entire life, finished his engineering degree on time, and went to work a month after graduation.  Millennials aren't a different species of human.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
85 here. Only had an Atari 2600 as a kid. I only got to play Oregon Trail at school because we didn't have a computer at home until I was 15. Also no internet untilI was 17. No cell phone until I was 20.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How many liquors did you have today?

Was just talking about Oregon Trail at work yesterday. That game was the shit.
View Quote
im sure im not the only one who played oregon trail specifically for the hunting option. the fields were a river of bison blood. bison carcass as far as the eyes could see
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
78'er here... if you don't know who Teela is, didn't see E.T. or The Return of the Jedi for the first time at a drive-in theater, never free-ranged on a Big Wheel, don't remember when the Challenger blew up and your whole school was in shock and didn't lust after the USS Flagg playset you can't be in this club (unless you were a girl at the time )

Everything younger is just being a freaking millenial.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
85 here. Only had an Atari 2600 as a kid. I only got to play Oregon Trail at school because we didn't have a computer at home until I was 15. Also no internet untilI was 17. No cell phone until I was 20.
View Quote
87 here, we have a lot in common. I remember being excited getting a new AOL disc in the mail.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
"Millennial" = came of age after the new millennium.  If you turned 18 before 1/1/2000, you're not a millennial.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#12]
You shot 1866 lbs of meat. You carry 200 to your wagon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
im sure im not the only one who played oregon trail specifically for the hunting option. the fields were a river of bison blood. bison carcass as far as the eyes could see
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many liquors did you have today?

Was just talking about Oregon Trail at work yesterday. That game was the shit.
The bullet's speed could be measured in feet per hour haha
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Atari 2600 came out in 1977.  I had a TRS Color Computer 1980, and we had Apple's in school before that.  While we didn't have access to the internet, we did have Compuserve at home and we could dial up different nods.  The problem was at the time long-distance calls cost money.  I can remember getting in a lot of trouble for a couple of huge phone bills, which I had to pay off over the summer mowing lawns on base.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Turok the dinosaur hunter on N64 forever made me a southpaw console gamer
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably for the best timing for school:

Too late for nuclear drills
Too early for common core

Also best timing for computers:
Skills to use one developed in late childhood
No internet until teenage years
No social media until 21
Having twitter and picture phones in high school would have been bad news for me
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1985...I’ve been going through all my old legos lately from the early 90s.  Took me hard back to my childhood.  Also, went through my gi joes as well.
I blew up most of my GI joes with firecrackers, or melted them with a magnifying glass.   I cry as an adult, because I'm sure theyre worth a pretty penny nowadays

You did it wrong.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. And played Blades of Steel just to fight. The rest was just filler.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No social media until 21
Having twitter and picture phones in high school would have been bad news for me
View Quote
Accurate.  We caught birth of the internet at an age where we already grew up, but old enough to still play with legitimate toys.  The internet came around after our childhood was already formed and over with for the most part

I give my kids a cool new toy, they'll play with it out of sympathy for their ol' man, then go back to their phones/computers once I turn my back.  It's a damn shame, but that's life
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No social media until 21
View Quote
We still did nuclear drills in the mid 80's and had to do classroom drills to the fall out shelter. We also did earthquake drills. I grew up in NE Maryland and Peachbottom was only 25 miles away or so.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We still did nuclear drills in the mid 80's and had to do classroom drills to the fall out shelter. We also did earthquake drills.
View Quote
Kind of fuzzy time for me, but I think they just rewrote nuclear drills to become tornado drills instead.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
And this was my big wheel.... it made all the kids jealous....

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1982 present
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1982 present
Quoted:

You're a Millenial.
Quoted:

If you were born between 1980 and 1997 then you are a millennial.
Quoted:
1982 present
I think this is going over some peoples heads... "Xennials" is a term for a sub-group of the Millennial generation. The reasons for the distinction of a subgroup are throughout this thread but the gist of it is that somebody born in the early 80's is vastly different from a person born in the mid 90's.

Now, some of you guys who want the cutoff to be 85 for "Xennials", I'm not sure I agree with you. I was born in 87 and can say my childhood experience is matching up with everything you guys are saying. This might be from growing up in the rural midwest vs the more urban coast though.  Things always seemed to take a little longer to become mainstream here than what we saw on TV, for example.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck you guys, just played that on the wayback machine for like 2 hours.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#25]
1980 checking in. I played all that shit and it was tons of fun
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think this is going over some peoples heads... "Xennials" is a term for a sub-group of the Millennial generation. The reasons for the distinction of a subgroup are throughout this thread but the gist of it is that somebody born in the early 80's is vastly different from a person born in the mid 90's.

Now, some of you guys who want the cutoff to be 85 for "Xennials", I'm not sure I agree with you. I was born in 87 and can say my childhood experience is matching up with everything you guys are saying. This might be from growing up in the rural midwest vs the more urban coast though.  Things always seemed to take a little longer to become mainstream here than what we saw on TV, for example.
View Quote
No, you are a millennial.  Embrace it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a guy that goes to the gym the same time I do that rocks a pinnie jersey and parachute pants. I salute his commitment to 80s style.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
See, I was born in '90 and lived in an exceptionally rural part of Kentucky. I didn't have internet access at home until I was 15, and even then it was 56k (usually got ~20). Definitely a millennial, but not the same as someone born in '99 or '84 in a metro area.

It's a better idea, I think, to describe Xennials by their access to technology during adolescence or prepubescence than by a set year-range. Could probably even categorize it by population density or service area as to mitigate personal economic factors, but not regional.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Kind of fuzzy time for me, but I think they just rewrote nuclear drills to become tornado drills instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We still did nuclear drills in the mid 80's and had to do classroom drills to the fall out shelter. We also did earthquake drills.
Yup, plenty of tornado drills up until about 8th grade (1997).
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Freaking younggins
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No, you are a millennial.  Embrace it.
View Quote
lol, I never said I wasn't. I'm an American, but I'm also a Wisconsinite. There is definitely a difference in American culture based on where you grew up, even if we don't break it into a state level it is often broken into North, South, East and West. It's not that crazy to think that there is a culture difference between people who grew up in an analog age versus digital age, even when they're still in the same broader generation. There isn't anything wrong with acknowledging those differences either.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We still did nuclear drills in the mid 80's and had to do classroom drills to the fall out shelter. We also did earthquake drills. I grew up in NE Maryland and Peachbottom was only 25 miles away or so.
View Quote
I don't ever remember nuclear drills.  I went to school during the 70's and 80's, either on base, or at school near a military base.  By the time I was in school the naive idea that you could survive a nuclear exchange looked silly.  That thought died out sometime in the 60's, before I was in school.

We actually knew that an all out nuclear war was not winnable, and took some comfort at living on primary targets.  I remember listening to the B-52's on alert when I was a kid in the early 80's.  I actually took comfort when the last one took off and the engine sound faded into the distance.

Because we were told in the event of nuclear war not all the crews would get off.  So the sound of the last one's engines fading in the distance meant ...not today.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
1982, Nintendo Generation FTW.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
81 Master race checking in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Rural 1986 here. Oregon trail. MSDOS to get enough ram for anything worth while. Dial up internet. No smart phones til after college. Suck muh dix.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Freaking younggins
View Quote
Quit appropriating our technology,  boomer
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Who else had this?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#39]

I still feel like a kid. Then I talk about the A Team at work and all the youngins look at me like I'm crazy
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Who else hated these birds as much as me?  It took more than a decade before Morrowind came along with birds that were even fucking worse.

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did it wrong.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114265/WIN_20181205_16_18_30_Pro_jpg-960025.JPG
What can I say, the leprechauns told me to burn things
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Motherphucking 1985, tubular as fuck and where’s my gotdamned surge?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#43]
78 checking in here. I remember playing Oregon Trail in school. I also remember getting my first Nintendo in '86. My neighbor had an Atari that we played a lot too
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#44]
1980 checking in. We are definitely the best generation able to live in both phases. We can live with or without all the modern devices .
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
lol not even close. millennials are born after 1991.

I don't give a shit what the internet says.

Damn mellennials trying to drag everyone into their shitty generation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1982 is solidly a Millenial, bruh
lol not even close. millennials are born after 1991.

I don't give a shit what the internet says.

Damn mellennials trying to drag everyone into their shitty generation
The internet has many definitions, there is no official one.  My definition is whether you came of age before or after 9/11.

People who came of age before are going to remember things like music videos on MTV, Ronald Regan as the president, The Challenger Disaster and the Soviet Union.

People who came of age after aren't going to generally have those memories.

So I'd say 83...maybe 84 was the last Gen X year or if you want to call them Xennials fine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
if you weren't old enough to appreciate rad, reality bites, conan, back to the future, VHS vs beta, olivia newton-john and samantha fox, the cars that go boom, the popularization of the condom, E.T., pads on your dirt bike, the PG-13 debate, civil defense shelters, and the trans-am, you're almost certainly a millennial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1990 and later without fail, and most of the people born after 1985 are definitely Millennials.
if you weren't old enough to appreciate rad, reality bites, conan, back to the future, VHS vs beta, olivia newton-john and samantha fox, the cars that go boom, the popularization of the condom, E.T., pads on your dirt bike, the PG-13 debate, civil defense shelters, and the trans-am, you're almost certainly a millennial.
1982 and almost all of that stuff is salient to my childhood.

I dont think people born a few years later would say the same though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Born in '86, I always remember being called generation Y growing up and everyone after 2000 as millennial. So confused.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you were born between 1980 and 1997 then you are a millennial.
View Quote
NFW that 1980 is millennial.  So the Gen X cohort is only 16 years deep?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Early 80's.

I vehemently fucking refuse to accept the bullshit notion that people born 80-85 are the same generation as those born after ~93ish.

My brother (1994) is a totally different life form that I am.

I grew up with a bmx bike, no helmet, no pads and a gun strapped to my back. It was a .22 Benjamin that set me back 119 bucks. It took me months of mowing yards to earn that sweet ass gun. I'd cruise the neighborhood for chicks to make-out with and if they were not out I'd hit the river and commit genocide on snapping turtles and snakes.

My brother grew up in a world where the internet was known. He had cable TV. He thinks collectivism is workable with a benevolent dictator. We endlessly argue about how retarded that is.

I grew up in an era where you could legit fight it out in the parking lot and then become best friends. Loaded rifle racks in trucks and beds full of shot shells were common.

He was suspended from school for writing an editorial about how ineffective a "tucked shirt" policy would be at stopping guns and drugs. He's been lashed at the alter of PC culture and yet still buys into their world view.

He can't change a tire or do any significant vehicle maintenance. I replaced the waterpump on his Jeep last summer. It was a belt, 3 bolts and a trip to NAPA.

Fuck Barney. Fuck the Power Rangers. ThunderCats, G.I. Joe and He-Man are superior.

The only valid fucking strategy on Oregon Trail is to load your wagon up with ammo, shoot everything, sink at the first river crossing because you have 4 tons of ammo, keep shooting everything, and then die.

Early 80's kids are not fucking Millennials!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top