Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 7:57:12 PM EDT
I've got 3/4 inch sockets right now and I've only got a 1/2" impact wrench. I've got one project coming up that the last time I did it (front axle Dodge ram 4x4) I used a 3/4" drive impact socket, T handle and 10' piece of pipe for a cheater. So I was looking at 3/4" impacts at harbor freight and I noticed a 1" impact for only $10 more. $150 vs. $160. Am I going to break all of my sockets running that big of a wrench? I don't want to get home with the 3/4" and have it not be powerful enough.
I'd be using an adapter to use 3/4" sockets, if that makes more since.
Would you buy the 1" in my situation?

BTW, ultimately I'd probably buy a 1" socket set if I owned the 1". Right now I own the two 3/4" impact sockets for the 2 specialized things I work on. They're weird sizes that don't even come in the harbor freight socket sets.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got 3/4 inch sockets right now and I've only got a 1/2" impact wrench. I've got one project coming up that the last time I did it (front axle Dodge ram 4x4) I used a 3/4" drive impact socket, T handle and 10' piece of pipe for a cheater. So I was looking at 3/4" impacts at harbor freight and I noticed a 1" impact for only $10 more. $150 vs. $160. Am I going to break all of my sockets running that big of a wrench? I don't want to get home with the 3/4" and have it not be powerful enough.

BTW, ultimately I'd probably buy a 1" socket set if I owned the 1". Right now I own the two 3/4" impact sockets for the 2 specialized things I work on. They're weird sizes that don't even come in the harbor freight socket sets.
View Quote

What's the torque on the nut or bolts you'll be taking loose?What is the torque rating on the impact wrenchs?
You will lose some torque using the adapter so going to the 1'' impact may not really help.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the torque on the nut or bolts you'll be taking loose?What is the torque rating on the impact wrenchs?
You will lose some torque using the adapter so going to the 1'' impact may not really help.
View Quote

1,000 vs. 1,500 ft.lbs.
I feel like those numbers are optimistic. My 1/2" is probably rated at 250 but last time I tried to remove the wheels on my F250 it didn't do shit so I used a breaker bar.
The axle but on the ram is supposed to be 150 IIRC. BUT it's Rusty and frozen as usual, so I'm standing on a 10' pipe (I'm pushing 300lbs.) I think it'd be safer to just use an impact instead of falling down when it breaks loose. I know for damn sure my 1/2" wouldn't even touch that thing! I've also got a pitman arm to get off and I threw my back out trying get it off and gave up. No idea what that torque spec is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You’ll be fine if you adapt them down. Going from 1”-3/4 you’ll break the adapter long before the socket will give but generally harbor freight impact stuff is good to go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you talking impact sockets or regular sockets?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing really wrong with going bigger, as long as you ave the air supply to feed it. 1” guns take a lot of air

Replaced a front hub on a 99.5 2500 Cummins last fall and used my m18 high torque without any issues; hub was stuck but we used a board or something and the power of the steering to pop it of. I don’t remember any issues other than getting it to pop of, not my truck and it was a very late night

Just to add, if you used a 10’ pipe as leverage and you weight 300, then that is 3000ftlbs of somewhat static force being applied to the fastener
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is just one project, why not rent or borrow a 3/4 and see if it works like you expect? If you use it regularly, try out a loaner then make a decision.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nothing really wrong with going bigger, as long as you ave the air supply to feed it. 1” guns take a lot of air

Replaced a front hub on a 99.5 2500 Cummins last fall and used my m18 high torque without any issues; hub was stuck but we used a board or something and the power of the steering to pop it of. I don’t remember any issues other than getting it to pop of, not my truck and it was a very late night

Just to add, if you used a 10’ pipe as leverage and you weight 300, then that is 3000ftlbs of somewhat static force being applied to the fastener
View Quote

That should be the same axle I've got. It's the big nut on the end of the stub axle. Every time I work on these trucks front axles I reassemble with antisieze. I actually get the wheel bearing out pretty easy. First time I tried pounding a chisel in-between the bearing and knuckle and made a mess, but now I got a set of spare bolts, put them partially in and pound on them with a sledge hammer, it actually comes out pretty easy. Then I reassemble with antisieze between the mating surfaces of the uni-bearing and knuckle. I've never had any truck that needs as much work on the front axle as these trucks do. It's constantly wheel bearings, axle U-joints and ball joints.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it is just one project, why not rent or borrow a 3/4 and see if it works like you expect? If you use it regularly, try out a loaner then make a decision.
View Quote

Not how I roll. I don't borrow shit, nor do I loan my shit out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are we talking? Can I feed it with a normal 3/8" hose? This is my compressor. all I need it for is a couple seconds to break stuff loose. Not going to be using it all day or anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are we talking? Can I feed it with a normal 3/8" hose? This is my compressor. all I need it for is a couple seconds to break stuff loose. Not going to be using it all day or anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don’t run a LOT of air, the 1” will be useless. All the regular mechanics at our shop run off 1/2 copper lines into their stalls. The truck mechanics have 3/4 to run tools. Any restriction in couplers, flex line, etc. causes the big tools to have no power.

Just keep it in mind sir.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you don’t run a LOT of air, the 1” will be useless. All the regular mechanics at our shop run off 1/2 copper lines into their stalls. The truck mechanics have 3/4 to run tools. Any restriction in couplers, flex line, etc. causes the big tools to have no power.

Just keep it in mind sir.
View Quote

Okay, well doing a little research, my compressor only has the fitting for a 3/8" hose (1/4" I think it's called) I'd have to step up with a bell reducer just to run 1/2 hose and the outlet on the compressor would still be a choke point. kinda funny harbor freight doesn't even sell hoses bigger than 1/2" that a 1" impact probably needs.
Does anybody here have first hand experience running a 3/4" on a 3/8" hose?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before I bought a 1" impact from Harbor Freight, I'd ask myself some questions.... like:

* How much torque do the 3/4" and 1" units ACTUALLY provide?
* How big of a hose and fittings do you need to supply the air those things would need?  Do you HAVE an air system that will deliver the air they need?  You'd be talking 1/2" hose minimum, with 1/2" fittings minimum, and probably at least a 3/4" regulator.  Otherwise, count on losing 1/3 to 1/2 of your torque.  Also, it looks like you have a 135PSI compressor, which presumably has at least a 25PSI dropout (or more) before it kicks back on.  That leaves essentially no overhead for losses in regulator, hose, fittings, etc..

These are reasons why electrics have been taking over vs pneumatics for some time now.   You can get >1,000 ft-lbs in cordless, with no need for a massive regulator, hose, fittings, etc..
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That compressor won't run a 1'' impact with a 3/8 hose,not enough volume 3/4 might even be iffy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Okay, well doing a little research, my compressor only has the fitting for a 3/8" hose (1/4" I think it's called) I'd have to step up with a bell reducer just to run 1/2 hose and the outlet on the compressor would still be a choke point. kinda funny harbor freight doesn't even sell hoses bigger than 1/2" that a 1" impact probably needs.
Does anybody here have first hand experience running a 3/4" on a 3/8" hose?
View Quote

I do but our compressor was at least 5 hp 80 gallon in size.When I worked for CAT in the truck shop our 1'' used a half inch hose and a very large compressor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay. Thanks to everybody for the help. I think I just saved my self $150 and a headache.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I just remembered something I used to do. When I was running a blast cabinet I had a T right at the cabinet and ran 2 compressors and 2 hoses. Maybe I'll still buy the 3/4" and a short 1/2 hose and run a T and two compressors. (I've got 2 compressors)
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just remembered something I used to do. When I was running a blast cabinet I had a T right at the cabinet and ran 2 compressors and 2 hoses. Maybe I'll still buy the 3/4" and a short 1/2 hose and run a T and two compressors. (I've got 2 compressors)
View Quote

How big is the other compressor and what is the CFM usage on the 3/4 impact?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You’ll be fine if you adapt them down. Going from 1”-3/4 you’ll break the adapter long before the socket will give but generally harbor freight impact stuff is good to go.
View Quote
I broke a couple adapters.  Eventually the cheap impact wrenches got better and the smaller ones now do the work properly.

Back in the day, I could not take lug nuts off my Chevy C30 without a uuuuuge impact. Eventually it would snap off the adapter, but I never broke a socket.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This^^^

Big impacts take big air compressors, hoses, and fittings. Compare the air requirements. I think my dad runs his 1" on a 3/4" hose on the farm. Your 3/8" std air hose may not even be enough to get the hammer going in a 1", let-alone achieve anywhere near the rated impact torque.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you given consideration to one of the cordless impacts? These days they really deliver some pretty serious torque numbers. Most cordless brands have some in their lineup. Even harbor freight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I went to town today, home Depot and harbor freight. Between them they didn't even have enough fittings to rig up a 3/4 wrench. Kinda dumb that the biggest hose HF sells is 1/2" and the fittings on the hose are smaller than the fitting on the wrench. They don't even sell anything to hook up a hose to the wrench.

I ended up getting a corded electric wrench. https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp-corded-12-in-heavy-duty-extreme-torque-impact-wrench-64120.html I'm kinda confused, it says 1000 ft.lbs. breakaway torque, but also says 300 maximum in the specs. We'll see. Even if it's a legit 300 it may do what I need.

I don't like cordless stuff. I've got dozens of non functional cordless tools laying around here. Tool breaks, battery quits holding a charge, we lose the charger...

I almost bought a 1/2" air impact in addition to this, it was like $40 and said it had 2 hammers and 300 lbs. May still buy it just to play with. I don't know what's up with mine, but it won't even get the lug nuts off a F250.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a CEO like that. He saw some equipment at a trade show and was impressed enough to buy 5 sets of it. He only problem was it looked better than it worked. We ended up with machinery that was hard to deal with, broke down frequently and ended up being put in the back area to sit and rust. Multi million dollar deal. He could have bought or leased one unit to try out before committing to it.
Renting or trying out a tool before you buy should be an option.
BTW I have a 1/2" Milwaukee M18 impact that took rusted nuts off u bolts on an end dump trailer axle. Milwaukee tools are great if they fit your plan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]
A quality 1/2”’impact will be much stronger  than that harbor freight junk 3/4”.

Your issue is that you don’t have the air to run a 1/2” compressor.

Cordless electric impacts can be stronger than corded btw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top