Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/16/2018 12:45:29 AM EDT
https://www.yess-community.org
YESS, the Young Earth System Scientists community, unifies international and multidisciplinary early career researchers in a powerful network, providing a voice and leverage for a better future to serve society.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a real shame so few Christians bother to actually study scripture. The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is, but the implication is millions if not billions of years old. All the scientists have done is confirm what many if not most rabbis have been saying for eons. Even the early church fathers like Irenaeus believed in an old earth. I'm not sure when young earthers snuck into the faith, but it has done irrevocable harm to Christianity as a valid belief system.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the eat da poopoo guy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Who was our resident member who didn't believe in dinosaurs?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#7]
These "scientists " could not even make the cut  to cook the books for the  man-caused climate change racket?

Pathetic.

out of
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Africans have been making Christianity great again by bringing up all the things polite society has conditioned out of respectable American religion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#9]
“World class” at what? Measuring the fucking drool that is coming out of their mouths?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't believe a damn thing scientists tell me on either side of the isle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Third world class.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a real shame so few Christians bother to actually study scripture. The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is, but the implication is millions if not billions of years old. All the scientists have done is confirm what many if not most rabbis have been saying for eons. Even the early church fathers like Irenaeus believed in an old earth. I'm not sure when young earthers snuck into the faith, but it has done irrevocable harm to Christianity as a valid belief system.
View Quote
This is the most ironic thing I have read today.  If YOU had studied scripture you would know that although it doesn’t give an exact age of the earth, it most certainly indicates a young earth.  That is the ONLY interpretation that conforms to the entire scripture if you believe in the inerrancy of scripture.

Please cite scripture where it implies the earth is “millions if not billions” of years old.  I’ll be waiting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is the most ironic thing I have read today.  If YOU had studied scripture you would know that although it doesn't give an exact age of the earth, it most certainly indicates a young earth.  That is the ONLY interpretation that conforms to the entire scripture if you believe in the inerrancy of scripture.

Please cite scripture where it implies the earth is "millions if not billions" of years old.  I'll be waiting.
View Quote
Yah, I thought the whole young earth thing came from 7 days plus the this guy begat that guy part.  That would make the earth one week plus 30ish years times number of guys plus 2018 years old.

*I suscribe to the 4.5bil idea
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the most ironic thing I have read today.  If YOU had studied scripture you would know that although it doesn’t give an exact age of the earth, it most certainly indicates a young earth.  That is the ONLY interpretation that conforms to the entire scripture if you believe in the inerrancy of scripture.

Please cite scripture where it implies the earth is “millions if not billions” of years old.  I’ll be waiting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole “pause” thing in the original Hebrew.

But riddle me this, what day was the sun and moon created?

Quoted:
Yah, I thought the whole young earth thing came from 7 days plus the this guy begat that guy part.  That would make the earth one week plus 30ish years times number of guys plus 2018 years old.

*I suscribe to the 4.5bil idea
Might as well throw your question in as well because it’s highly relevant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's a real shame so few Christians bother to actually study scripture. The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is,
View Quote
Not much to study. It’s in Genesis chapter 1. Doesn’t say when the “beginning” was.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#18]
It all ends in 2028, who cares how old it is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#19]
You know what's really funny?

They're young Earth-scientists.

Not young-Earth scientists.

There are no young-Earth scientists.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look up the gap theory.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Four distinct techniques have been used to measure the distance to the Andromeda Galaxy.

Averaged together, they give a combined distance estimate of 2.54 million (+/- 0.11) light years.

The light from this galaxy, the nearest to our own, has to have been traveling across space for that long for us to be able to see it.

I personally believe everything the bible says, but it's obvious by the above observation that the creation days in Genesis were not literal 24-hr days.

Each day was a long period of time.

If those days in Genesis were 24-hr days, we would only be able to see ~6000 light years out into space.

There are many galaxies MUCH further away than Andromeda.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is IMPOSSIBLE for an old earth to conform to the entirety of the scripture.

They were created on the 4th day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This has already been settled by men who are exponentially more scripturally knowledgeable than yourself.

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-timeline/
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Four distinct techniques have been used to measure the distance to the Andromeda Galaxy.

Averaged together, they give a combined distance estimate of 2.54 million (+/- 0.11) light years.

The light from this galaxy, the nearest to our own, has to have been traveling across space for that long for us to be able to see it.

I personally believe everything the bible says, but it's obvious by the above observation that the creation days in Genesis were not literal 24-hr days.

If those days in Genesis were 24-hr days, we would only be able to see ~6000 light years out into space.
View Quote
Ayup. Did you see my question a few posts up? Care to weigh in on that?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so how’s a day defined?

ETA: Not necessarily on the first statement. The problem arises when people assume, without looking any further.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I actually became curious to see how a young Earth would affect policy/climate decisions and stumbled upon their facebook page, still short on any detailed actions items

https://www.facebook.com/yesscommunity0/
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Look up the gap theory.
View Quote
No need to look it up, I know all about it.   And I know numerous other scriptures would have to be completely wrong for the gap theory to be true.  If you believe in the inerrancy of scripture there is no way to come to any other conclusion other than scripture teaches a young earth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ETA: Not necessarily on the first statement. The problem arises when people assume, without looking any further.
View Quote
It’s a day.  24 hours.  There is zero indication given in scripture that the verses in genesis refer to anything other than a literal 24 hours.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
So let me get this straight.

You believe in an all powerful being that can speak everything into existence.

But he is powerless to have the light from those stars he just created reach the earth faster than naturally possible?

When he created the sun on the 4th day you are saying he had to twiddle his thumbs for the 8 or 9 minutes for the light from the sun to reach the earth?

If He exists and is powerful enough to make the stars in the sky I think he could also control the light emminating from them wouldn’t you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#30]
When you hear thunder, that's the sound of God facepalming because he heard some dumb shit from his believers like "the earth is only a few thousand years old."

If I created everything, including a race of beings in my image that were supposed to rule over it all, and said "this is all for you, now use the sense of wonder and curiosity I gave you to study all this cool shit and discover as much as you can" but they went around unquestionably believing retarded shit because some other retards told them that's what they're supposed to believe, I'd be very disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No need to look it up, I know all about it.   And I know numerous other scriptures would have to be completely wrong for the gap theory to be true.  If you believe in the inerrancy of scripture there is no way to come to any other conclusion other than scripture teaches a young earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up the gap theory.
Yes, there is. The issue arises when we take our understanding, make assumptions, and try to fit scripture into those parameters, when it’s clearly telling us the information we need to make the correct interpretation.

FWIW, I’m not bagging on anyone, I’ve never seen this question even asked, much less answered in a satisfactory manor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:50:37 AM EDT
[#32]
But but....it’s flat... ;)
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Proof
View Quote
That comes no where close to proof.

radiocarbon dating works to about 50,000 years, no chance that would work with 400 Ma rocks

the context in which the artifact is not explained, could have been in a pond overlying the limestone bedrock.

Possibly encased in travertine from a spring but that is a hypothesis.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It’s a day.  24 hours.  There is zero indication given in scripture that the verses in genesis refer to anything other than a literal 24 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it does, right there in plain English. A “day”, to us, is defined as 24 hours. Why? Because that’s the time it takes us to make one trip around the sun, and object that wasn’t even created until the fourth day, when, according to scripture, 3 “days” had already came and went.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Except it does, right there in plain English. A “day”, to us, is defined as 24 hours. Why? Because that’s the time it takes us to make one trip around the sun, and object that wasn’t even created until the fourth day, when, according to scripture, 3 “days” had already came and went.
View Quote
Because the people who wrote it didn't know how that worked either.

This doesn't matter anyway, adaptation/selection destroys the entire narrative because suffering and death are essential to the existence of life. No amount of sophistry can save it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
In scripture God created days (24hours cycles) and then He told us what a day is.  In genesis he called them days.  What else do you think he was referring to.  He created and taught us the meaning and definition of the word, and then used the word to tell us how long it took him.

One trip around the sun is a year by the way.  A revolution of the earth is a day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When you hear thunder, that's the sound of God facepalming because he heard some dumb shit from his believers like "the earth is only a few thousand years old."

If I created everything, including a race of beings in my image that were supposed to rule over it all, and said "this is all for you, now use the sense of wonder and curiosity I gave you to study all this cool shit and discover as much as you can" but they went around unquestionably believing retarded shit because some other retards told them that's what they're supposed to believe, I'd be very disappointed.  
View Quote
Quality post.

Even the New Testament tells us that we should study nature. Like I said before, the problem arises when folks look at scripture through a myopic lens with preconceived notions, and then try to make scripture fit inside those parameters, instead of seeing things through scripture and adjusting our understanding.

TLDR: Some attempt to force scripture into our understanding, instead of understanding our world through scripture.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well yea, and there are observable objects that we see now, that existed long before our solar system was even formed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
the bible does say it was created in 7 days, bro.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This doesn't matter anyway, adaptation/selection destroys the entire narrative because suffering and death are essential to the existence of life. No amount of sophistry can save it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they didn’t even know what a day was.

Nor could a God who created it all have the foresight to know one day we would.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Good, let researchers research whatever they want.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But but....it’s flat... ;)
View Quote
Actually, the OT says it’s round, “...the compass (meaning round) of the earth”.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Another point...

Has god rested from his creative works for one 24-hr day?

No.  The last thing he made was Eve.

We have been in that "day" of creative rest now for thousands of years.

Anyone who reads the bible should be able to understand this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, they didn’t even know what a day was.

Nor could a God who created it all have the foresight to know one day we would.
View Quote
I'm still not sure you know what a day is.

The being who spoke the universe into existence would have written a better book.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quality post.

Even the New Testament tells us that we should study nature. Like I said before, the problem arises when folks look at scripture through a myopic lens with preconceived notions, and then try to make scripture fit inside those parameters, instead of seeing things through scripture and adjusting our understanding.

TLDR: Some attempt to force scripture into our understanding, instead of understanding our world through scripture.
View Quote
In other words, you believe in evolutionary science taught by modern science, and you then look at scripture and twist it to fit your beliefs instead of believing in the literal words of scripture and making your beliefs of the natural world fit in with that.

You have every right to do so, but my question to you is why do you believe ANYTHING the bible says if you don’t believe in all of it??
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Except it does, right there in plain English. A "day", to us, is defined as 24 hours. Why? Because that's the time it takes us to make one trip around the sun, and object that wasn't even created until the fourth day, when, according to scripture, 3 "days" had already came and went.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so how's a day defined?

It's a day.  24 hours.  There is zero indication given in scripture that the verses in genesis refer to anything other than a literal 24 hours.
Except it does, right there in plain English. A "day", to us, is defined as 24 hours. Why? Because that's the time it takes us to make one trip around the sun, and object that wasn't even created until the fourth day, when, according to scripture, 3 "days" had already came and went.
Or... the creation story is eerily similar to many other creation stories that came before it and the writer used terms that were easy for any uneducated halfwit to understand to ensure that the core message was received by all.

The core message is all that's important.  When you try to apply the stories literally, they don't hold up to any logical scrutiny.  Folks who accept that the Bible is mostly allegorical don't have to waste so much time defending the glaringly obvious inconsistencies contained within.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Another point...

View Quote
How is thousands of years a “day” in any stretch of the word?

How would the people writing the text know that a “day” would mean thousands of years, and why would they choose to describe it that way?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Wannabe Priesthood
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In other words, you believe in evolutionary science taught by modern science, and you then look at scripture and twist it to fit your beliefs instead of believing in the literal words of scripture and making your beliefs of the natural world fit in with that.

You have every right to do so, but my question to you is why do you believe ANYTHING the bible says if you don't believe in all of it??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality post.

You have every right to do so, but my question to you is why do you believe ANYTHING the bible says if you don't believe in all of it??
How does an old Earth relate to Evolutionary Biology?  The 2 are completely separate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Another point...

View Quote
I don’t even know what point you are trying to make here.

The scripture can’t be more clear that you are wrong however.  ALL things are created by God.  Col 1:16

He has made every human being that has ever existed.  Eve was not the last.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top