Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2024 11:58:45 AM EDT
At work I'm starting to add tables for part numbers to our prints.

I am having to add around 40 rows at a time and sometimes up to 100. Numbers are always numerical and will be xxx000, xxx001, xxx002, ect.

I tried to use the equation button to add (1) to the previous cell. That worked but when I do a copy of that cell to the next it doesn't redo the connection to the previous

1st copy for cell A2
=A1+1

When I copy I want for cell A3
=A2+1

but I get for cell A3
=A1+1

So I end up with
(cell A1)    xxx000
(cell A2)    xxx001
(cell A3)    xxx001

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have modeled your entire assembly with sub assemblies and nested components/parts and have defined your part(assembly) numbers/part(assembly) names, this should all come for free when you create your prints and add your BOM stock list. This should all be associative from your 3D models. I have no experience in SolidWorks, but have 25 years of experience in high end CAD (CATIA/NX).
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kc8flb:
If you have modeled your entire assembly with sub assemblies and nested components/parts and have defined your part(assembly) numbers/part(assembly) names, this should all come for free when you create your prints and add your BOM stock list. This should all be associative from your 3D models. I have no experience in SolidWorks, but have 25 years of experience in high end CAD (CATIA/NX).
View Quote

Yep, same rule for SW and most CAD systems. I’ve been using CAD software for most of my career (catia v4 & v5, I-Deas, calma and solidworks) plus several FEA software programs.

Make and assembly and the BOM function will do that for free! 😉
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#3]
Originally Posted By eagle308us:
At work I'm starting to add tables for part numbers to our prints.

I am having to add around 40 rows at a time and sometimes up to 100. Numbers are always numerical and will be xxx000, xxx001, xxx002, ect.

I tried to use the equation button to add (1) to the previous cell. That worked but when I do a copy of that cell to the next it doesn't redo the connection to the previous

1st copy for cell A2
=A1+1

When I copy I want for cell A3
=A2+1

but I get for cell A3
=A1+1

So I end up with
(cell A1)    xxx000
(cell A2)    xxx001
(cell A3)    xxx001

Any ideas?
View Quote
do it in excel and then import the table

Is this a BOM of the modeled component or a table with stuff that isn’t modeled? A BOM should work if it’s the model led component… importing an external table or CSV is the way to go for most any decent sized table.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

Yep, same rule for SW and most CAD systems. I’ve been using CAD software for most of my career (catia v4 & v5, I-Deas, calma and solidworks) plus several FEA software programs.

Make and assembly and the BOM function will do that for free! 😉
View Quote

Wow, someone else that used SDRC I-DEAS in the wild. It was a great early associative modeler. We used it for about 5 or 6 years before going full into CATIA V5 and now V6 (3DX).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top