Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2019 6:48:32 PM EDT
So I’m giving up on Red Wings. I’ve worn the Red Wing 4200’s and it’s predecessor for the past 10 years, also getting at least a year or more out of pair working as a shipyard Machinist. But the last 2 pairs have been destroyed, especially inside the boot within 8 months. So I’m looking for a new brand. I’ve been considering the Danner Quarry specifically, but I’m open to other brands.
My requirements are 8” lace-up boot, safety toe (would prefer alloy or composite for weight), defined 90* heel, waterproof and electrical hazard rated, Goretex is a plus. Insulation is not necessary as my foot do not get cold. And I would prefer something that looks similar to the 4200 or the quarry. If it can be bought in store, even better.

If this isn’t complicated enough, I’ll throw loggers into the mix. I’ve never owned a pair or even tried them on, but if there’s benefits compared to low heel boots, I’ll definitely consider them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably the wrong forum....maybe toss it in the DIY forum OR GD for more responses.

I still wear Redwings haven't had much problem with them.  I wear the 2233 same as my dad, which is very close to the 4200...different style and no shank...among other random differences.  Granted, I don't wear them every single day, my father does on the railroad and he gets a year+ out of them but gets new ones yearly as his safety allowance pays for them yearly anyway.

He hasn't noted any degradation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a pair of US-made Keen work boots that were nice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I just gave up a Merrills and I’m 3 months into Timberland Pro Hyperion soft toe. Just bought a second pair that will be my “clean” pair for when I need to look decent. Not like I ever wear a jacket and tie for anything anymore. They are indeed waterproof.

Time will tell. Timberland seems to be making a few pro level boots.  Merrills were coming unglued almost immediately in certain places.

I also liked my soft moc toe Thorologhs, USA made, but it was a bitch to break in the second pair, and not waterproof.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
USA made safety toe boots
Quoted:
So I'm giving up on Red Wings. I've worn the Red Wing 4200's and it's predecessor for the past 10 years, also getting at least a year or more out of pair working as a shipyard Machinist. But the last 2 pairs have been destroyed, especially inside the boot within 8 months. So I'm looking for a new brand. I've been considering the Danner Quarry specifically, but I'm open to other brands.
My requirements are 8" lace-up boot, safety toe (would prefer alloy or composite for weight), defined 90* heel, waterproof and electrical hazard rated, Goretex is a plus. Insulation is not necessary as my foot do not get cold. And I would prefer something that looks similar to the 4200 or the quarry. If it can be bought in store, even better.

If this isn't complicated enough, I'll throw loggers into the mix. I've never owned a pair or even tried them on, but if there's benefits compared to low heel boots, I'll definitely consider them.
View Quote
Im a die hard Danner USA made work boot only fan.

this spring I got a pair of RW 4200 boots because I wanted to try them out. They are decent, but took a month to break in and I rub them down weekly with the RW boot oil.

Im going back to Danner, when these are worn out, in fact I already bought a pair of Danners because they were a good price.
The Quarry's have much better traction than the 4200's too.

usa made safety toe boots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top