Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/19/2020 12:43:21 PM EDT
I enjoy good comedy and I know everyone has different tastes. But try as I can, I don't find women comedians all that funny. At best it looks like they're trying too hard. Most times I lose interest in the first few minutes. The older woman comedians had a better grasp of timing and delivery. Women like Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers, Lucille Ball,  Phyllis Diller ..all had it.

is it just me ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Truth. The majority of them use the same tired old shtick. Be as vulgar as possible.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sarah Silverman is hilarious
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I just watched Esther Povitsky's standup special on Comedy Central a couple of nights ago.

She was horrible.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen a woman standup comedian (comedienne?) I've cared for.  The modern routines I've seen seemed almost like political pandering speeches  tbh.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
That Lisa Lampanelli used to be a funny gal. Dirty.

She had a bit that went something along the lines of...

"My dream life is to fuck a black guy, have a white guy pay all the bills and a Peurto Rican to clean my house"
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Truth. The majority of them use the same tired old shtick. Be as vulgar as possible.
View Quote

this, and it's not funny coming from a woman.  It gets old quick when it's a male comedian too.  I walked out of a CarrotTop show in the early 90s because while his act was funny as hell with all his props, every third word was fuck, shit, goddamn, or piss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
They can be good in skits but in stand up they kind of suck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Been a lot of years, but I liked Rita Rudner ans Judy Tenuta
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Women arent funny
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Jeanne Robertson.

But she’s probably Carol’s age.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m partial to Iliza Shlesinger...but that might be due to some interesting pics of her on the interweb.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Kathleen Madigan is pretty funny...

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like you might be a jim gaffigan or jeff dunham fan?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Iliza Shlesinger Confirmed Kills Official Trailer
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brett Butler was funny in her prime.

Laura Kightlinger was great, but she's vanished.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Women aren't all that funny. They never had to learn to be funny.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I like Kathleen Madigan but she's not exactly young.  

Iliza Shlesinger is smokin hot so that helps.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/gpqyv5/oc_differences_between_men_and_women_standup/

They talk about sex too much to be funny because it was a big marketing boost in the late 2000s early 2010s. Amy Schumer dumbed down the industry and it's now floundering around trying to recover in an increasingly converged landscape. Ali Wong's 2016 special was reasonably funny. Her 2018 special was an SJW shitfest with almost 0 laughs.

The jokes are now "haha sex" "haha men" "haha I'm crazy/an alcoholic" "haha I hate my kids" intertwined with generic white people bad rhetoric, it's tiresome and boring.

Comedy Central Presents and Premium Blend in the early 2000s were probably the pinnacle of female comedy attainment for this generation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a vagina!  Clap you asshole pigs!
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sounds like you might be a jim gaffigan or jeff dunham fan?
View Quote
More along the lines of Bill Burr and Lewis Black.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"My dream life is to fuck a black guy, have a white guy pay all the bills and a Peurto Rican to clean my house"
View Quote

I sat front row in NYC at a club she was playing once. Holy shit did she lay into me. I’m a goofy looking fucker that’s about 5’5” and my wife is a good looking 5’9” redhead.

Yeah Lampanelli noticed haha. I didn’t dare say anything back I just rolled with it. It was really funny actually.

I also had a smoke and a beer with Dave Attell that night.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I sat front row in NYC at a club she was playing once. Holy shit did she lay into me. I’m a goofy looking fucker that’s about 5’5” and my wife is a good looking 5’9” redhead.

Yeah Lampanelli noticed haha. I didn’t dare say anything back I just rolled with it. It was really funny actually.

View Quote

Nice! I would love to have a drink with Attel.

An old friend of mine once went to a  Don Rickles show back in the day, front row wearing a loud shirt. Said that Rickles absolutely skinned him alive throughout the show several times always coming back to his shirt.

There's no way I would ever try to come back to a professional comedian either. I'm sure they have 'sets' saved back just for that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I like Christina Pazsitzky.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Women arent funny
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They can be good in skits but in stand up they kind of suck.
View Quote

^this.

It’s not that women aren’t or can’t be funny EVER. It’s that woman are much better in some forms of comedy than others, and Hollywood can’t handle that idea.

So we get forcefed standup comedians who aren’t funny, but we have to pretend like they are. Cuz wahmenz.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2SktqF_e-g
View Quote

always liked her.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Maria Bamford was hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I enjoy good comedy and I know everyone has different tastes. But try as I can, I don't find women comedians all that funny. At best it looks like they're trying too hard. Most times I lose interest in the first few minutes. The older woman comedians had a better grasp of timing and delivery. Women like Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers, Lucille Ball,  Phyllis Diller ..all had it.

is it just me ?
View Quote
Agree 100%, and the examples you gave are spot on. All those women were genuinely funny. They were naturally able to play on human nature and get laughs. And for the most part, they all did it without shock value or vulgarity.

The ones I see today aren't intellectual...they are one trick ponies...and that bit gets old fast. I enjoy good humor and can appreciate the art of standup...but i get bored quick. It needs to have more substance than current events, politics, or vulgar innuendo. Guys like Pryor, Murphy, and young George Carlin just talked about life...and all the funny shit that happens in it. They had amazing delivery and made you laugh. Richard Jeni, Steven Wright, and Bill Hicks had amazing timing. They were funny because of the way they delivered the joke.

I like sarcasm, to a degree, but if someone isn't truly humorous, they aren't going to entertain me by cursing a lot
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#30]
They are rarely funny in standup. Margaret Cho comes to mind as completely unfunny, but I guess she checks a few boxes.

A lot of them want to go on about feminine hygiene gone awry, or the rib splitting situations they get into while being a dyke.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Actually funny female comedians are a rare thing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Come on, everyone enjoys hearing Amy Schumer talk about her vagina for 45 minutes.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They are rarely funny in standup. Margaret Cho comes to mind as completely unfunny, but I guess she checks a few boxes.

View Quote

She's one of the few I did find funny to some degree.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Anjelah Johnson is funny.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sarah Silverman is hilarious
View Quote

Definitely....

Way of the Gun - 1. "Get Off the Car"
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

An old friend of mine once went to a  Don Rickles show back in the day, front row wearing a loud shirt. Said that Rickles absolutely skinned him alive throughout the show several times always coming back to his shirt.

There's no way I would ever try to come back to a professional comedian either. I'm sure they have 'sets' saved back just for that kind of stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it was a good time. Attell was super cool. We just hung out a talked for a bit. If you ever find yourself in NYC go to the Comedy Cellar awesome club.

Stand up comedy is one of my favorite things. I’ve been to more shows than I can count.

I really wanna see Brian Regan but haven’t as of yet.

I did see Carlin in Vegas. That was fucken awesome.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#37]
There's very few that are funny.

A lot of male comedians raz them for their unoriginal schtick.

A lot of them have a bit or two that is ok, but they don't have consistency.

Many male comedians have self deprecating bits, I cant think of one female bit like that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Actually funny female comedians are a rare thing.
View Quote

Sadly, the same could be said for male comedians.

There's just a larger supply.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hi - fuckin' - larious!

We white guys just love being cuckholded.
Glad you passed that on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

is it just me ?
View Quote

My wife doesn't find them funny either, it seems they all have the same method:  Just use a bunch of "bad words" and it will be funny because a woman is saying them!

Yawn.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

"It could happen."

Judy Tenuta "It could happen"
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Ali Wong is hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hi - fuckin' - larious!

Glad you passed that on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi - fuckin' - larious!

Glad you passed that on.

If you wait a little longer a fuck will fall into my hand and Ill give it to you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Jeanne Robertson "Don't send a man to the grocery store!"

Clean, no vulgarity. Reminds me of Jerry Clower.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That wasn't a joke, it was a confession.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Can be funny in sitcom type situations.

The stand up is cringe inducing or just obnoxious.

Usually just resort to getting uncomfortable laughs through vulgarity. Its people laughing to remove stress not laughing because of humor.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2SktqF_e-g
View Quote
She's probably my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Many male comedians have self deprecating bits, I cant think of one female bit like that.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top