User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just spoke with him. He’s doing well as can be expected. His only real symptom at this point is back pain. He still seems to be fairly good spirits.

He had a biopsy today on tissue taken from near his lymph nodes. It is my understanding that the results will tell us quite a bit on how much time he has left.

I’ll see him in person later this week. That is when I plan to question him about where he stands with God.

Thanks everyone for your prayers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is your buddy doing? @Ohiogators

Just spoke with him. He’s doing well as can be expected. His only real symptom at this point is back pain. He still seems to be fairly good spirits.

He had a biopsy today on tissue taken from near his lymph nodes. It is my understanding that the results will tell us quite a bit on how much time he has left.

I’ll see him in person later this week. That is when I plan to question him about where he stands with God.

Is he well enough to go outdoors? I understand he won't be chopping wood and camping.

Is there anyway you think you could get him out in nature? Either in the woods or the water?

I think it would do everything you're looking for. A nice trip with friends outdoors is always treasured. You can even bring a few beers if you want (or don't). But also I think it is easier to see God in nature and connect with him. It's entirely possible if he gets thinking on a nice trip he might bring it up to you. He knows he's in a tough spot, I think when someone situation changes they sometimes look at the world different.

Best of luck to you both, and i hope you both find your peace OP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]

You're gonna fry the Protestants' minds again, aren't you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This Orthodox mind is wondering wtf.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

This Orthodox mind is wondering wtf.
View Quote

It's a much longer thought, but I thought that might give the OP a good place to start.

Here's the next page from the Summa:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the tl;Dr is the distinction between vice and sin.

To murder a man is obviously a sin.

Drinking one beer is not a sin.

Drinking too many beers is not necessarily a sin, but it's certainly a vice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Galatians 5:19-26

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Galatians 5:19-26

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
View Quote

Paul wasn't Irish, clearly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Paul wasn't Irish, clearly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear OP.

I lost my best friend since 9th grade (34 years) to small cell lung cancer 2 years ago this May. Up to the day of his death we hung out at least a couple times a month even with our busy schedules. Talked on the phone about this crazy world more times than that.

I was with him up to the time that hospice was giving his wife drugs to give to him so he would die that night in peace....which he did.

Watching him go down the way he did was really tough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll pray for your friend and you. Just talk to him and be there. God will give you the words to say when it is time.
View Quote

This. Take your Bible and read him the story of the thief on the cross. That we are all sinners and it’s never too late.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. Take your Bible and read him the story of the thief on the cross. That we are all sinners and it’s never too late.
View Quote

That is a great idea.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

That is a great idea.
View Quote

The jovial video of the Preacher explaining that is pretty great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Found it

The Man on the Middle Cross Said I Could Come - Alistair Begg
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Of course I would want my Muslim friends to show up on my deathbed. Might be my last chance to share the Gospel with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consider he may have been your friend all these years b/c you didn't try to shove your religion down his throat.  If he wanted to join you at church, he would've.  Don't ruin your friendship on his deathbed.

At this point I’m more concerned with obeying Christ than my friendship with him.

I gotta wonder why you are posting on a religion forum if these are your feelings on the situation.

Perhaps b/c this is supposed to be a religion forum and not the Christianity forum?  Plenty of those around.

If you're more concerned about your religion than your friendship, then leave the poor guy alone and let him die in peace rather than harangue him about hell.  Do you want all your Muslim acquaintances to show up at your deathbed and try to get you to say the shahadah?  Don't be the guy no one wants to spend eternity with.

Of course I would want my Muslim friends to show up on my deathbed. Might be my last chance to share the Gospel with them.

Attachment Attached File

OP, you and your friend will be in my prayers.  It's our duty to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Perhaps you could start by letting him know that you're praying for him.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#18]
good luck good sir, show him the way to the lord the best way you can. God is listening no matter what. you are giving him the best gift he will ever recieve
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

@Ohiogators

How is your buddy doing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Ohiogators

How is your buddy doing?
View Quote

He has a lot of back pain, the cancer has attack a couple vertebrae.  He is struggling with the doctors and insurance over pain meds.  They gave him morphine that he was able to take daily and made hime feel better, but they wont continue that and have him taking oxycodone every couple hours.  Sounds like they are going to make an addict out of him quickly.  He has finished the radiation and they will re-evaluate in a few weeks.

We shut me down the first time I tried to discuss his salvation with him.  I have returned to the subject once since.  He was more willing to talk for a couple minutes, but still shut it down quickly.  

Still praying and will keep supporting him.  I'll bring it up again soon.

Thanks everyone for asking.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Why do you want to keep bringing it up?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He has a lot of back pain, the cancer has attack a couple vertebrae.  He is struggling with the doctors and insurance over pain meds.  They gave him morphine that he was able to take daily and made hime feel better, but they wont continue that and have him taking oxycodone every couple hours.  Sounds like they are going to make an addict out of him quickly.  He has finished the radiation and they will re-evaluate in a few weeks.

We shut me down the first time I tried to discuss his salvation with him.  I have returned to the subject once since.  He was more willing to talk for a couple minutes, but still shut it down quickly.  

View Quote

I will pray for him and you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry to hear that. He’s probably processing, I would just leave it alone then revisit it if or when he knows or admits he’s on death’s door. Maybe invite him to a church service? Sometimes hearing it from someone else, a sermon or something can strike a chord.  When you get down to it, this is when the cards are on the table, you’ll probably regret not doing all you can.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that. He’s probably processing, I would just leave it alone then revisit it if or when he knows or admits he’s on death’s door. Maybe invite him to a church service? Sometimes hearing it from someone else, a sermon or something can strike a chord.  When you get down to it, this is when the cards are on the table, you’ll probably regret not doing all you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Continued prayers for your buddy 'gators, & prayers for you for wisdom and guidance.

If you don't think he would be receptive to this, what if you asked him to go with you to visit a different church
that you want to go to?  More of going with you to be with you as you visit another church, as opposed to him being the visitor to your church.
Kind of like tagging along supporting you so you won't be alone in a different church. (being your "wingman", )
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Prayers sent for wisdom on how to continue from here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before the virus hysteria, I was a volunteer worker at a local convalescent hospital for 4 years, so became friends with a lot of people who died. Many of them described to me what was going on inside. Our language isn't made for that purpose, so they would talk to me in metaphores like trying to find their car keys so they could go home, or being preoccupied with trying to pack up their belongings, or talking to people who I couldn't see. they would say all sorts of things which on the surface sounded crazy... except they were NOT crazy. I listened intently to every word they said, and it was a revelation.

There is a grey area where life and death overlap, and just as there are people here who help, there are people there who also help... and they would tell me about them.

My suggestion for you is to simply BE with your friend and LISTEN to everything he says so you can better understand.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I heard a pome recently about to close friends, the speaker was saying how they had been friends for decades and he was always such a good, faithful, and true friend. The speaker then say's now I'm in hell and found out your not a faithful friend at all because you never told me about salvation. OUCH!

I know it may be hard to share Jesus with him, but it's the kindest thing on earth you can do for him. Kinder than any other thing you can do, trying to give him a way out of eternal suffering, even at the possible cost of loosing the friendship at the end of his life.

If you don't share Jesus how will he know, and what will you think about him after he is gone? Guide him to Jesus. It's sometimes as easy as introducing one friend to another, a little awkward maybe, but something you can do, and then if he says no, your only regret will be he said no, not that you let fear of the unknow possible reaction to it control you.

You have the strength and knowledge he needs more than any doctor, or medicine. GIVE IT HIM!

Oh and as far as what and how, you need to ask God to lead you in that area, and then listen to Gods voice and do as he instructs you. If he chooses not receive Jesus it's his choice, but how sad is that.

Eternity is a long long time. You know your friend better than we do, but for myself, I don't want your friend or any human on this planet to go to hell because it's not a 50 year sentence, it's not a 100 year sentence, it's not a thousand year sentence. It's permanent. I cannot wrap my mind around that. The road to hell is wide, but the path to heaven is narrow. Glory be to God in the highest forever and ever Amen!

Maybe he shut you down because he's scared. Be gentle and kind, but be firm. It's really hard to understand unconditional love, because it's rare, and us knowing us, it's hard to believe a perfect being like God really loves us, especially after all the wrong portrayals of God weave heard. God will get you for that!, ect, ect, ect.

Be kind, but honest. Let God work through you. God doesn't want him in hell either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top