Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 2:00:17 PM EDT
About 1 to 2 year old Whirlpool ice maker is not making ice.  This unit has the ice maker and bin/dispenser entirely in the freezer door (side by side).  Freezer light comes on when the door is opened.  Ice maker switch is on.  Just stopped one day and has ice in the mold ready to deploy in the bin so I'm guessing the problem is not in the valve or water supply.  Water does come out of the water dispenser although I think there are two valves.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Found the wire cable that feeds into the freezer door had a split casing that caused a pinch point.  One of the wires inside the cable had broken, soldered it back together, wrapped with electrical tape.  That wire or another will probably break again.  The cable is no longer available.  Two years old and the cable is no longer available???
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
This is how I fixed mine:

Icemaker

So far, it has worked very well.  Next fridge will have no icemaker.  I don't think anyone makes a built in that is worth a shit anymore. The last three I had all went tits up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
About 1 to 2 year old Whirlpool ice maker is not making ice.  This unit has the ice maker and bin/dispenser entirely in the freezer door (side by side).  Freezer light comes on when the door is opened.  Ice maker switch is on.  Just stopped one day and has ice in the mold ready to deploy in the bin so I'm guessing the problem is not in the valve or water supply.  Water does come out of the water dispenser although I think there are two valves.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.
View Quote
I will add that if your water got turned off and you didn't turn off your icemaker, after one cycle, the inlet tube will freeze up.  This fixed mine the first time, all you need is a hair dryer or a heat gun set on low to fix that issue.  Maybe you will get lucky.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Just go on Youtube and watch all the videos on the subject.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just go on Youtube and watch all the videos on the subject.
View Quote
Spent hours looking for repairs on my unit with no luck.  All I find are the how to use videos.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
First, defrost the freezer. Thaw it completely and then start it back up. That will fix the problem if there's ice frozen in the supply line.
Then I'd start from the water supply and work your way down from there. Shut off the water to the icemaker (usually a crappy self-piercing valve) and disconnect the water supply to the refrigerator. Open the valve and make sure you're getting water to the fridge. Trick the icemaker into cycling by making a jumper wire and see if it fills. If it doesn't, you probably need a new solenoid/valve in the fridge. If none of these things solve it, just buy a replacement on eBay or Amazon. It takes about 10 minutes to replace one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could remember where I saw this, but maybe google would help.  Our ice maker did the same thing, frozen cubes, but seemed stuck, wouldn't eject what was already frozen.  I ruled out a frozen line and water was getting through, etc.  I eventually found a post somewhere, I think on sears' tech support pages, that described how to jump a couple of wires using a piece of wire bent into a prong.  Basically, you removed the faceplate of the ice maker , then the front of the mechanism actually has holes into which you put the bent wire. If I remember correctly, there are more than two, so you need to figure that up which two to jump.  Something to do with the timer and it not advancing - jumping it advanced the timer.  It worked.  should add that the refrigerator is a Sears model of some sort, side by side with ice cube dispenser through the freezer door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wish I could remember where I saw this, but maybe google would help.  Our ice maker did the same thing, frozen cubes, but seemed stuck, wouldn't eject what was already frozen.  I ruled out a frozen line and water was getting through, etc.  I eventually found a post somewhere, I think on sears' tech support pages, that described how to jump a couple of wires using a piece of wire bent into a prong.  Basically, you removed the faceplate of the ice maker , then the front of the mechanism actually has holes into which you put the bent wire. If I remember correctly, there are more than two, so you need to figure that up which two to jump.  Something to do with the timer and it not advancing - jumping it advanced the timer.  It worked.  should add that the refrigerator is a Sears model of some sort, side by side with ice cube dispenser through the freezer door.
View Quote
Many of the Kenmore refrigerators are actually Kitchenaid/Whirlpool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jumper L to V to test the water valve and check if fill tube is frozen. Water should flow into icemaker mold

Jumper T to H to re-start. Might have to hold down the door switches. Remove jumper after D on the gear turns past the 12 o'clock

Or unplug fridge for 10 minutes then restore power to re-start
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Just had a tech out for 4th time and replaced ice maker for 2nd time on a 18 month old French Door Whirlpool.  First under factory warranty now 2nd under extended warranty that I purchased because I understand from purchase research that the French Door units have lots of problems.  I suspect the cost of the extended warranty has already been covered and I've got 2+ years of coverage to go still. Don't normally buy them but may pay off on expensive units these days.

Tech said there was a test mode using the "computer" pressing on some of the smart control panels to manually cycle the ice maker but had a really hard time getting it to go into test mode.  Old unit had ice in the tray but would not cycle.  When he replaced he also said he didn't think water pressure was correct inside the fridge so checked the line connections where original delivery/install team removed/reinstalled doors.  Possible that line connectors were not fully snapped into place or slightly crimped, much improved water flow to door dispenser and it was making ice as of last night, hopefully I'll be good for a while.

Tech said the in-door ice makers are problem items which confirms my research, but most units have that style these days.

Some part sources that usually have good troubleshooting/repair info as well

APP

Repair Clinic
Top Top