Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2018 1:20:29 PM EDT
Greetings all. Longtime lurker/poster from GD and the reloading forums...

Hoping you guys can help me; seems to be the forum to ask in. I'm looking for a single or dual camera system for no other use than to watch my Dad's driveway and transmit to a mostly always on monitor/receiver 30' away inside one typical framed house wall. NO SMART PHONE USE!!!! No WiFi. No recording. Just able to see via the monitor who is coming up/in the driveway. Driveway is not visible from inside the house. They have a alarm system and are not willing to change anything, and anything more advanced than a flip phone is not going to cut it. Dad and Mom are getting into their advanced years and often are needing to see if their ride has arrived. Power is available under the free standing carport where the camera needs to be but Dad is adamant about no wires going across drive, concrete walkway etc. So wireless is the only way. As is simple to use. Hoping for something similar to the basic Harbor Freight two camera/monitor system but no wires. Otherwise that would be the perfect minimalist setup. We're rather rural and not much to look at around here. Looking for something cheap of course. Not going to spend much on something that is not much more than a mirror. And yes we tried that for a while. No good angles.
Any help will be very appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link
Maybe an audio driveway notification?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how you are going to monitor without wifi... That harbor freight looks like it will only transmit an alarm.

If you can bend on the wifi then you might be able to get by with one of the average camers on amazon. I think the one I have is typical. You set it up with your computer to operate through your internet connection. Once you have it set up you can have it alert via email once it is armed. It will shoot out an email with a still shot once it  is tripped by the motion detector. You can also put a memory card in it to record video. Plust the audible alarm can be turned on and off.

If your dad does not have wifi but has high speed internet then you can easily set up a wifi network with a wireless hub like netgear. If you have a issue with a smart phone you don't have to replace your phone. You can just get a used phone and use it just to access the internet over a open wifi connection without having to pay for any mothly service.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys but I guess I didn't make myself clear. Tried the "driveway alarm". Wow. Do you know how many deer, turkeys, stay pets(?) etc. cross a rural driveway in Ohio? A lot!! Besides Mom has her heart set on being able to see what is in the driveway on something she has to do absolutely no more than perhaps turn on and off. Not sure if Dad can manage to turn it off. Computers are out. Smart phones are out. Harbor Freight had a nice little package that included one approx. 15' monitor and two cameras but they required wiring between the monitor and camera. Was hoping someone might have a line on something similar but wireless that I didn't have to go change batteries in constantly.
Again thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck. I don't think you are going to find what you want at a reasonable price...

If they do have internet, which you have not answered but it sounds like they don't, your only option that I can see is set up a wifi camera and you do the monitoring form your phone. Then you can just call them if you see something creepy.,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top